P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

6 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

One of my relatives had a CCTV camera set up on the front of their house several years ago, very well hidden, they set it up because they were having problems with someone who was supposed to stay away from them. The lady checked her footage regularly  and discovered that a stranger was standing outside the house every night looking through a gap in the curtains into their front room where her university age daughter was studying in the early hours 😱

She called the police who took it very seriously, fitted a panic alarm and sent patrols round every evening. Eventually the guy was caught and given a restraining order. She checks her CCTV footage every day now. 
If they hadn’t had the cameras up they would never have known the daughter was being watched. 

Oh my goodness - how awful - but what a good thing they had the CCTV.  Doesn’t that just send shivers down your spine at the thought of someone peering in!

Mind you my dog Freddie barks if someone is within 200 yards of his perimeter.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

One of my relatives had a CCTV camera set up on the front of their house several years ago, very well hidden, they set it up because they were having problems with someone who was supposed to stay away from them. The lady checked her footage regularly  and discovered that a stranger was standing outside the house every night looking through a gap in the curtains into their front room where her university age daughter was studying in the early hours 😱

She called the police who took it very seriously, fitted a panic alarm and sent patrols round every evening. Eventually the guy was caught and given a restraining order. She checks her CCTV footage every day now. 
If they hadn’t had the cameras up they would never have known the daughter was being watched. 

Creepy!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We have had the strangest experience this morning at a local dealership.  When we were walking last night we passed a car and I said that I would really like to swap mine for one of those so we went to try to buy one today.  The salesman was fine up until he tried to explain financing options to us and OH told him that we weren't interested in finance because it would be a cash purchase, he then got quite stroppy saying that no-one buys cars without finance so we were obviously time wasters and then said he had no wish to continue with the sa!e.  Does anyone know if car salesmen get a bonus of something if they persuade customers to take out expensive financing ?

How ridiculous is that? The sales staff may receive commission on finance sales but with interest rates being so low at the moment, I can’t see it as being a huge amount. They also have monthly sales targets to meet which may trigger a bonus if they exceed them. When I have needed finance for a car, I have loaned the money from my bank which has always been cheaper than any deal offered by a garage and never had a problem like you have had. If it was a chain of dealerships, I would contact their Head Office tomorrow (or the Head of Sales at the dealership). Maybe the salesman will soon be an ex salesman.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Oh my goodness - how awful - but what a good thing they had the CCTV.  Doesn’t that just send shivers down your spine at the thought of someone peering in!

Mind you my dog Freddie barks if someone is within 200 yards of his perimeter.

We were all so relieved it had got spotted, I read too many crime novels but you never know if that kind of situation would escalate. 

The girl was really shaken up but determined to have him caught, so she deliberately sat in the front room with her parents out of sight and panic button within reach, every night for a week or so until he was caught. 

17 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Creepy!

Very creepy! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, pete14 said:

How ridiculous is that? The sales staff may receive commission on finance sales but with interest rates being so low at the moment, I can’t see it as being a huge amount. They also have monthly sales targets to meet which may trigger a bonus if they exceed them. When I have needed finance for a car, I have loaned the money from my bank which has always been cheaper than any deal offered by a garage and never had a problem like you have had. If it was a chain of dealerships, I would contact their Head Office tomorrow (or the Head of Sales at the dealership). Maybe the salesman will soon be an ex salesman.

To follow on, when I bought my current car, there was an offer of 5 years free servicing if I bought it on finance. I said I didn’t want finance but would like the 5 years free servicing. I suggested that I could buy it on finance to receive the free offer and then pay the finance off completely a couple of days later before any interest accrued. I was told not to bother doing that and was given the free servicing anyway. 

• Like 1

A few years ago when my wife and I were both working we each had a car. We fancied a new Renault each and my wife went to do a deal for two cars. The salesman obviously thought she was a time waster and kept leaving her to deal with other people. She walked into the manager's office and told him they had just lost a sale for two cars, turned around and walked out. He ran after her and she waved as she drove away !!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Frank asks for very well done , no pink and it seems to work. Why anyone wants to eat undercooked meat is beyond me.

Avril

Not undercooked Avril, just more juicy and tasty, nothing worse than dry well done beef.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, pete14 said:

To follow on, when I bought my current car, there was an offer of 5 years free servicing if I bought it on finance. I said I didn’t want finance but would like the 5 years free servicing. I suggested that I could buy it on finance to receive the free offer and then pay the finance off completely a couple of days later before any interest accrued. I was told not to bother doing that and was given the free servicing anyway. 

David did a similar thing with his car when there was a deal where if you took the finance they reduced the price of the car by the the amount of the interest on the finance over  4 years, he paid 1 monthly payment then paid the rest off the next day, saving a few thousand pounds overall.  I would have happily taken the finance and done the same if there had been any significant benefit to me.  I am just not going to bother now, I have a perfectly good little car that is just coming up to it's first birthday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

We have had the strangest experience this morning at a local dealership.  When we were walking last night we passed a car and I said that I would really like to swap mine for one of those so we went to try to buy one today.  The salesman was fine up until he tried to explain financing options to us and OH told him that we weren't interested in finance because it would be a cash purchase, he then got quite stroppy saying that no-one buys cars without finance so we were obviously time wasters and then said he had no wish to continue with the sa!e.  Does anyone know if car salesmen get a bonus of something if they persuade customers to take out expensive financing ?

When I bought my car  I had to be VERY firm with them to turn down the finance. 

4 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I’m sure you’ll enjoy . I normally avoid weekends if I can but now I don’t have every Thursday and Friday off like I used to it’s difficult. I think I may know the ice cream place you mean, if it’s on the front there was a long queue outside yesterday! We stayed in the Royal Albion once with a fantastic sea view, it was fabulous.

It featured in an episode of EastEnders once.His wife offered to cook dinner but we said no we'll go out somewhere as we don't go out that often,cheers,Brian.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

David did a similar thing with his car when there was a deal where if you took the finance they reduced the price of the car by the the amount of the interest on the finance over  4 years, he paid 1 monthly payment then paid the rest off the next day, saving a few thousand pounds overall.  I would have happily taken the finance and done the same if there had been any significant benefit to me.  I am just not going to bother now, I have a perfectly good little car that is just coming up to it's first birthday.

We purchased 2 leather sofas from a well known store who were offering 4 years interest free credit. I said to the salesman ' that offer must cost you lots of money'. Yes sir but we don't mind that as we can make this tempting offer to our customers.....Ok, so if I pay cash you can afford to give a discount.....splutter,splutter, but we got 15%off.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Same thing for our daughter. Both kids have been brought up to avoid finance and leasing deals, but it was worth taking on the deal for a £4000 reduction in the price. Not available to cash buyers, but no problems withdrawing from the leasing deal in month one and paying off the balance.

I’ve usually managed a pretty hefty cash discount from the dealer’s margin (which varies a lot from month to month and even the date in the month) but on the one occasion VW dealers wouldn’t play ball, a long time back, we saved thousands by picking the cars up in the Netherlands. That trick doesn’t work now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Same thing for our daughter. Both kids have been brought up to avoid finance and leasing deals, but it was worth taking on the deal for a £4000 reduction in the price. Not available to cash buyers, but no problems withdrawing from the leasing deal in month one and paying off the balance.

I’ve usually managed a pretty hefty cash discount from the dealer’s margin (which varies a lot from month to month and even the date in the month) but on the one occasion VW dealers wouldn’t play ball, a long time back, we saved thousands by picking the cars up in the Netherlands. That trick doesn’t work now.

My wife wanted a new Golf, no dealers would give a discount so we decided that we may as well use our local main dealer. We told him what we wanted and the price we wanted to pay, tongue firmly in cheek. It was a Saturday afternoon. Come back in 15 minutes as I need to speak to the Manager. We went back in 15 minutes. There followed a brief telephone call in our presence. The phone went down. He said give the customers the deal they want. He told us he has found it best to phone on Saturday afternoon once the football has started on telly🤣

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I think they must, we tried to purchase a car last year from a Barnsley main dealer, they banged on about their fantastic lease agreement which I had no interest in, so I left. The following morning I was in the same dealership in Huddersfield signing up for a cash buy when the Barnsley salesman phoned offering me another lease deal. 

3 minutes ago, kalos said:

Buying new cars on impulse is a bad habit. I turned over a brand new leaf today...

The people at the Nissan dealership were not very happy with me.:classic_unsure:

A good joke is just as good second time around. I say ,a good joke is.... 🤣

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

We purchased 2 leather sofas from a well known store who were offering 4 years interest free credit. I said to the salesman ' that offer must cost you lots of money'. Yes sir but we don't mind that as we can make this tempting offer to our customers.....Ok, so if I pay cash you can afford to give a discount.....splutter,splutter, but we got 15%off.

That's illegal... 

We all do it, but it's an admission that the finance fee is included in the price... 

You are an accessory to the crime Zapp... 😊

Andy 

38 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

That's illegal... 

We all do it, but it's an admission that the finance fee is included in the price... 

You are an accessory to the crime Zapp... 😊

Andy 

I have sofa got away with it. It must have been couched in the small print. Lucky I didn't try that with the pictures, it could have been a hanging offence.🤣

• Haha 4

Have walked miles and miles today and now neither of us can walk other than to the fridge for a nice Stella or a Pinot.

Have to say, it is another beautiful evening in North Wales at the minute and it is good to see families just enjoying the simple things we used to take for granted.

Having said that.... though simple, am not sure that traipsing miles today was a good idea.! It's  done now though so we are feeling very virtuous and will have a slap up meal curtesy of a Tesco Meal Deal and not feel guilty. 

:😀😃

• Like 4

It was 25°C in the Lake District today.

We had a good walk around Grasmere then I drove to Coniston.

We stopped at a lovely hotel on the outskirts of Bowness overlooking Lake Windermere.

Later we had a good walk around Bowness and sat overlooking Lake Windermere.

IMG_20210531_110127.jpg

Screenshot_20210531_112732_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

IMG_20210531_123904.jpg

Screenshot_20210531_124046_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

• Like 9

4 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Not undercooked Avril, just more juicy and tasty, nothing worse than dry well done beef.

Absolutely!  But you do need to rest the steak for at least 5 minutes before serving it. If blood ouses out,  even from a rare steak, it has not been tested sufficiently. 

50 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

It was 25°C in the Lake District today.

We had a good walk around Grasmere then I drove to Coniston.

We stopped at a lovely hotel on the outskirts of Bowness overlooking Lake Windermere.

Later we had a good walk around Bowness and sat overlooking Lake Windermere.

IMG_20210531_110127.jpg

Screenshot_20210531_112732_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

IMG_20210531_123904.jpg

Screenshot_20210531_124046_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Lovely photos 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Absolutely!  But you do need to rest the steak for at least 5 minutes before serving it. If blood ouses out,  even from a rare steak, it has not been tested sufficiently. 

Predictive urined another one🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3