P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

39 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Give it a few more weeks, then another few, then another few. We can open up now. Whoops all the pub's, restaurants, hotels, theatres ,holiday companies etc have gone bust. We could go, but there's nowhere left. No money either. Companies have sacked the staff, pension funds gone south.

The two nearest pubs to us haven't re-opened.  One of them is part of a small local chain, and expects to re-open next month.  Apparently their staff all moved on.  Haven't heard anything about why the other one hasn't re-opened, but their on-line presence has dropped off.  And the owners of The Railway in town have thrown in the towel.  A real shame as it was very popular on the live music circuit.  Used to have jam sessions on Sunday afternoons.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Harry, I know you love to quote inaccurate political statistics, but please check your posts before you quote inaccuracies about the Indian variant being more resistant to vaccines. The latest info I have read indicates it is not more resistant to vaccines.

39 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm not aware that the Indian vaccine is more resistant to vaccines. If that were the case, surely there would have been a markedly higher level of hospitalisations than is currently the case.

No inaccuracies, John - my post was checked and up to date:

"However, both vaccines are less effective against the Indian strain than against the currently dominant strain in the UK, which was first identified in Kent last year (B.1.1.7)."

Source:

https://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/clinical-areas/immunology-and-vaccines/az-and-pfizer-vaccines-highly-effective-against-indian-covid-variant-says-phe/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Glad you enjoyed your 4 days touring the lake District. If waiting another 4 weeks is a good idea, 4 months would be even better. No lake District, or McDonalds this side of Christmas.🤣

Now proper restaurants are open there is no need for us to go to McDonald's as you might have seen some of our restaurants we ate in during our last 4 days and 3 nights in the Lake District.

We are almost back to normal so no need to panic to hit the June 21st target.

As we are both key workers we could legally still go out during another lockdown but will stick to the guidance at that time.

Graham.

• Like 1

The Indian variant is mainly to be found in the young and unvaccinated.  The young tend to suffer no serious symptoms. By June 21st everyone over 50 will have received two vaccinations, so there will be no danger of any pressure on the NHS.

Why keep the economy in chains for no reason? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The Indian variant is mainly to be found in the young and unvaccinated.  The young tend to suffer no serious symptoms. By June 21st everyone over 50 will have received two vaccinations, so there will be no danger of any pressure on the NHS.

Why keep the economy in chains for no reason? 

Firstly because the Delta strain is found now across the country, in all age groups, and is expected to become the dominant strain.

Secondly because the under 50s can and do suffer long covid - not something to be dismissed lightly - and we don't yet know the pressure on the NHS. It's already much higher in the areas most affected by the Delta strain.

Thirdly because the economic damage caused by a third lockdown would be infinitely greater than any damage caused by a short delay now.  That should have been proved already by what happened last autumn.

• Like 3

4 weeks wowzz.  Just 4 weeks.  In summer.  In good weather.  With the restrictions we’re currently coping nicely with.  4 weeks to see it off as best we can, hopefully leaving it as a medical threat in the same way and on the same scale seasonal flu is.

If it was my decision I simply couldn’t gamble that it’ll all be fine; the vaccine will sort it

Imagine being responsible for another winter lockdown with all the economic and social ills that brings.  Imagine hearing that disgraceful phrase “the deaths are now baked in” as we did after the autumn delay in lockdown 

Imagine being a health worker.  Or someone desperate for non-Covid hospital treatment for whom there is no bed

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Sorry, John, but that figure for herd immunity was based on the original strain. Since then we’ve had several more variants of concern, including the Kent and Indian variants. Each of those two has increased the required percentage for herd immunity because of the increased infectivity.

Harry, unless and until a variant emerges where current antibodies do not offer protection, then increased infectivity is irrelevant.

• Like 1

Isn't it nice out today ⛱️  Sat out in the sun under my trusty brolly I thought

time to stock rotate some of our tinned food we have in for emergency's.

So todays light lunch was good old spaghetti on toast with lashings of

black pepper which tasted great !  Funny how something so simple can 

taste so good when you haven't ate it for a while . Even better now we have 

a new pepper grinder that is adjustable . I was tipped off to buy an OXO grinder,

yes those who make the cubes !  So far I'm impressed the Mrs likes it fine for 

certain dishes but I like bigger pieces on my meals. Back to chilling out  for us 

ready for a nice roast chicken salad with a few chips and me pepper of course :classic_love:

• Like 9

Sounds nice

We gave up on the coast idea, as we felt it was certainly “too hot” and likely to be too crowded for comfort and relaxation.  So, we’ve enjoyed relaxing at home, had hummus and pitta with salad for lunch and are going to walk out by the river to the pub for our supper

Like being on holiday!

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, kalos said:

a new pepper grinder that is adjustable . I was tipped off to buy an OXO grinder,

certain dishes but I like bigger pieces on my meals. Back to chilling out  for us 

ready for a nice roast chicken salad with a few chips and me pepper of course :classic_love:

I am sat out in the garden too under the brolly, it is hot. Showing 26 degrees in my car when I was driving home from shopping this lunchtime 

Michelle

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

4 weeks wowzz.  Just 4 weeks.  In summer.  In good weather.  With the restrictions we’re currently coping nicely with.  4 weeks to see it off as best we can, hopefully leaving it as a medical threat in the same way and on the same scale seasonal flu is.

If it was my decision I simply couldn’t gamble that it’ll all be fine; the vaccine will sort it

Imagine being responsible for another winter lockdown with all the economic and social ills that brings.  Imagine hearing that disgraceful phrase “the deaths are now baked in” as we did after the autumn delay in lockdown 

Imagine being a health worker.  Or someone desperate for non-Covid hospital treatment for whom there is no bed

I think the continued referring back to the pre vaccine period is illogical. So far there has been little increase in hospitalisation and virtually no increase in death rates, so the likelihood of a 4th wave having the same impact as earlier seems very unlikely.

As a compromise I would consider some limitations on social contact, and maybe apply some limits on entertainment venues,rather than lift them entirely.  But this needs to leave all hospitality and entertainment venues with a viable business.

Although as a gold plated pensioner I have suffered no financial hits so far,  the economy cannot remain suppressed for much longer before many businesses decide that their losses are unsustainable. This could lead to a domino effect in which even well managed businesses could start to suffer, and in that scenario the death rate from covid will pale into insignificance.

• Like 2

Well, finally got to see the 2 engravings my donations to the British Heart Foundation paid for on the "Heart of Steel" in Meadowhall, Sheffield. One was for a lifelong friend who died from a heart attack at the age of 57 4 years ago and who ironically, was a regular shopper at the British Heart Foundation charity shops. The other for Patrick following his heart attack last year. You need a magnifying glass to see them with the naked eye!

BTW upon return our conservatory is showing a temperature of 31 degrees, ouch!

309C39C6-8889-4261-9221-200A0934396E_1_201_a.jpeg

DD295F11-593F-4CCC-956C-C8B8FE9A62C6.jpeg

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Just exactly will happen in these magical 4 weeks ?

More people will be vaccinated, but these people are not at significant risk from Covid anyway.

In July, people will be saying, let's extend the lockdown until the end of August, then let's wait until half term, and before you know it, we are back to Christmas! 

And all the while people are still out of work, or reduced hours. A close relative did his first gig at the Bath Festival last month, after 15 months of inactivity. Guess what his savings look like!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Sounds nice

We gave up on the coast idea, as we felt it was certainly “too hot” and likely to be too crowded for comfort and relaxation.  So, we’ve enjoyed relaxing at home, had hummus and pitta with salad for lunch and are going to walk out by the river to the pub for our supper

Like being on holiday!

We probably should have given up on the coastal idea.

The train we wanted to catch was cancelled, so we hard to wait for the next one, which was busier due to the previous cancellation.

When we got to Whitstable , we stopped at Whitstable Castle for coffee, where my husband was stung by a wasp. ( Thank you to the waitress who provided ice for a cold compress)

Then, on our walk from Whitstable to Herne Bay, my husband’s bad back started playing up. Because his back ache was making him walk awkwardly, his hip started hurting! 

We got the train home, and got a taxi from the station, as my husband had had enough by this point. 

on the plus side, it’s blissful relaxing at home , and the weather was lovely B59CEB8C-55C4-41A7-B37E-3AFC59556481.thumb.jpeg.80be541679a5ee6ca64ec03eed2d5dcb.jpeg53F580C2-810F-46B7-81A9-06B270F08910.thumb.jpeg.942c413247480bb319ac09ed3de517a9.jpeg830A7EDF-0D07-44A1-97AB-BE12408B73DA.thumb.jpeg.4c2f3e09a1dbd9813df2e7054d4d9e2c.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I read his autobiography last time we were on Ventura.  The ship's library had it.  Listened to some Who albums whilst reading.

I read death on the Nile on a Nile cruise.,🤣

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Just exactly will happen in these magical 4 weeks ?

More people will be vaccinated, but these people are not at significant risk from Covid anyway.

In July, people will be saying, let's extend the lockdown until the end of August, then let's wait until half term, and before you know it, we are back to Christmas! 

And all the while people are still out of work, or reduced hours. A close relative did his first gig at the Bath Festival last month, after 15 months of inactivity. Guess what his savings look like!

We mustn't forget that it is still 3 weeks before the magical just 4 more weeks starts. That's 7. As always,if some folk don't feel safe going out, they don't have to do it. When I was a teenager I walked home from Soho to Putney. I wouldn't feel same doing so now, so don't.

47 minutes ago, kalos said:

I'm still sitting in the sun.

A really lazy day but after driving over 800 miles in the last 4 days I think I deserve it.

I had a bowl of Jordans nut Muesli for lunch with added walnuts and almonds and now on my fourth cup of coffee.

Who needs Spanish holidays when we have weather like this and I'm socially distanced with no mask on.

Pauline came out for her lunch for 30 minutes but she is working from home.

• Like 2

Zero UK deaths reported yesterday for the first time in months (it was a BH though, so maybe reporting lag).  Cases up from 2500 approx to 3160 approx though.  No stats on hospitalisations

Fingers crossed this might be going the right way.  It’s 2 weeks till the announcement wrt 21st  will be made perhaps we could have a ceasefire, with media not making assumptions all will be rosy and sceptics trying not to look for bumps in the road?

Seriously, higher case numbers without consequent hospitalisations, deaths or long Covid would be “ok”.  Stress on the health service and previously healthy children and young adults being harmed, potentially for life, by long Covid most certainly isn’t 

Who’d like to take the decision?  Not me!

Edited by Eddie99
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

We probably should have given up on the coastal idea.

The train we wanted to catch was cancelled, so we hard to wait for the next one, which was busier due to the previous cancellation.

When we got to Whitstable , we stopped at Whitstable Castle for coffee, where my husband was stung by a wasp. ( Thank you to the waitress who provided ice for a cold compress)

Then, on our walk from Whitstable to Herne Bay, my husband’s bad back started playing up. Because his back ache was making him walk awkwardly, his hip started hurting! 

We got the train home, and got a taxi from the station, as my husband had had enough by this point. 

on the plus side, it’s blissful relaxing at home , and the weather was lovely B59CEB8C-55C4-41A7-B37E-3AFC59556481.thumb.jpeg.80be541679a5ee6ca64ec03eed2d5dcb.jpeg53F580C2-810F-46B7-81A9-06B270F08910.thumb.jpeg.942c413247480bb319ac09ed3de517a9.jpeg830A7EDF-0D07-44A1-97AB-BE12408B73DA.thumb.jpeg.4c2f3e09a1dbd9813df2e7054d4d9e2c.jpeg

Lovely pics but 😱 for the train, wasp and back bits

Tomorrow is another day - 🤞it will be less eventful

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We mustn't forget that it is still 3 weeks before the magical just 4 more weeks starts. That's 7. As always,if some folk don't feel safe going out, they don't have to do it. When I was a teenager I walked home from Soho to Putney. I wouldn't feel same doing so now, so don't.

If people don’t feel safe going out, then that hits the economy.

it’s all well and good opening everything up, but, if the virus starts spreading uncontrollably, then people, especially older people who use the leisure industry in off peak times, will simply stay at home and not bother. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Lovely pics but 😱 for the train, wasp and back bits

Tomorrow is another day - 🤞it will be less eventful

A new cafe has opened locally, so we intend to walk there for breakfast tomorrow . My husband is currently wallowing in the bath, so hopefully it’ll help his aches and pains! 

14 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I'm still sitting in the sun.

A really lazy day but after driving over 800 miles in the last 4 days I think I deserve it.

I had a bowl of Jordans nut Muesli for lunch with added walnuts and almonds and now on my fourth cup of coffee.

Who needs Spanish holidays when we have weather like this and I'm socially distanced with no mask on.

Pauline came out for her lunch for 30 minutes but she is working from home.

We were in Cornwall last week. 4 days of solid rain. Who needs Spain. Yes please.🤣. Off to Dorset in 3 weeks. Will it rain ?. At least we will be able to go where we like. We arrive on 21st. Everything will be open, perhaps 🤔

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

A new cafe has opened locally, so we intend to walk there for breakfast tomorrow . My husband is currently wallowing in the bath, so hopefully it’ll help his aches and pains! 

Jamaica Blue?

12 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

If people don’t feel safe going out, then that hits the economy.

it’s all well and good opening everything up, but, if the virus starts spreading uncontrollably, then people, especially older people who use the leisure industry in off peak times, will simply stay at home and not bother. 

Some will ,some won't. We are all adults and should be able make adult decisions.

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We were in Cornwall last week. 4 days of solid rain. Who needs Spain. Yes please.🤣. Off to Dorset in 3 weeks. Will it rain ?. At least we will be able to go where we like. We arrive on 21st. Everything will be open, perhaps 🤔

Our favourite Spanish hotel emailed me to say they are finally reopening on June 21st.

We were last there in January 2020   4 weeks after my heart attack and yes I would like to be there even without the sun and 80+F temperatures.

Screenshot_20210601_164531_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1