P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Hope you all had a great bank holiday. I did my final shift on Test and Trace (much to my annoyance after being summoned back from furlough) but was pleased to see that there are many people prepared to be tested to try ensure we are kept safe. 

15EB63DD-3841-43A8-9E98-74926C02B7D7.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, peteukmcr said:

Hope you all had a great bank holiday. I did my final shift on Test and Trace (much to my annoyance after being summoned back from furlough) but was pleased to see that there are many people prepared to be tested to try ensure we are kept safe. 

15EB63DD-3841-43A8-9E98-74926C02B7D7.jpeg

Thank you Pete and all the other fantastic people who helped with this brilliant rollout. 

You stepped up, well done. 

Andy 

• Like 9

Morning everybody.  And a lovely sunny one across most of the country (I should say countries!).

The 21 June end of all covid restrictions is approaching fast, but the Indian variant is spreading fast.

Any thoughts on that? I'm very worried that we're about to enter yet a third nasty period, and I'm just hoping the advice of all those scientists urging caution is listened to and acted on.  Just a few short weeks delay could avoid another calamity.

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, batholiver said:

Morning everybody.  And a lovely sunny one across most of the country (I should say countries!).

The 21 June end of all covid restrictions is approaching fast, but the Indian variant is spreading fast.

Any thoughts on that? I'm very worried that we're about to enter yet a third nasty period, and I'm just hoping the advice of all those scientists urging caution is listened to and acted on.  Just a few short weeks delay could avoid another calamity.

Good morning!

Even without the Indian variant, I always thought that 21st June was too soon to lift all restrictions with a partially vaccinated population.

Now we have a situation where the more infectious Indian variant is already the dominant strain, and the current restrictions are not containing it.

We’ve already learnt that the time to do something about it is before it seems necessary, so the time is now ( and even now is probably too late).

It looks as if it’s being spread in schools (although data has been suppressed in this respect) and, in the hotspots, infections are gradually moving up the age ranges.

Fortunately, we have the vaccine now, but I still tend to think we are on the cusp of another wave, although this wave may look different to the other waves.

My main concern, apart from even more pressure on the NHS, is that more spread of the virus means it has more chance to mutate, and could mutate into something vaccine resistant.

I think Johnson has been distracted by his nuptials, but I think it’s time for him to get a grip now, but I suspect lessons still haven’t been learned.

I am going to the seaside today. The weather is nice and the virus is still relatively low here. I will enjoy this window of opportunity to get out and about, as I suspect the window may close earlier than I originally thought 

• Like 10

13 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Suite... 😂

I know there's no arm in it but is this banter gonna chaise longe.I've gotta chair a meeting later.Only with the Mrs what we're having for dinner.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Good morning everyone, I hope you all had a good Bank Holiday, even if you were 

out there working.  All those posts about cooking steak steak yesterday on here got 

me thinking ? :classic_rolleyes: Mrs Kalos was grilling a steak for me  and the smell of the juices

as it cooked made my mouth water.... As I said it got me thinking ....
Do vegetarians get  the same effect when they are mowing a lawn ? :classic_unsure:

If your waiting for a  steak joke from me this morning, sorry, I haven't got that many

but the good ones are rare.:classic_biggrin: I see some of you have not mastered these so called

smart phones you possess and they keep outwitting you by popping strange words

into your posts !  Did I ever tell you about the inventor of predictive text when he was

injured in a traffic accident....He  was  bacon by ambience to the horse piddle, sad two

bee in a factory position .:classic_wacko:  Well I'm off to see what's into todays papers, catching up

on the  news and I see that Corduroy pillows are still making head lines.:classic_unsure:

It looks to be another lovely day today ,so make sure you enjoy it and stay safe guys ! :classic_love:

336860165_happiness(1).jpg.46ff4fb127ca321ba0df6a7d28538062.jpg

Edited by kalos
  • Like 16
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Good morning!

Even without the Indian variant, I always thought that 21st June was too soon to lift all restrictions with a partially vaccinated population.

Now we have a situation where the more infectious Indian variant is already the dominant strain, and the current restrictions are not containing it.

We’ve already learnt that the time to do something about it is before it seems necessary, so the time is now ( and even now is probably too late).

It looks as if it’s being spread in schools (although data has been suppressed in this respect) and, in the hotspots, infections are gradually moving up the age ranges.

Fortunately, we have the vaccine now, but I still tend to think we are on the cusp of another wave, although this wave may look different to the other waves.

My main concern, apart from even more pressure on the NHS, is that more spread of the virus means it has more chance to mutate, and could mutate into something vaccine resistant.

I think Johnson has been distracted by his nuptials, but I think it’s time for him to get a grip now, but I suspect lessons still haven’t been learned.

I am going to the seaside today. The weather is nice and the virus is still relatively low here. I will enjoy this window of opportunity to get out and about, as I suspect the window may close earlier than I originally thought 

I absolutely agree with you. This variant is spreading very fast indeed, even without any further relaxations. Loosening up still further later this month would be madness.

Vaccinations are great, but it’s very convenient for politicians to deliberately ‘forget’ the unvaccinated and the 750,000 or so highly vulnerable  immunosuppressed people for whom they’re unlikely to have any effect.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Good morning!

If, and I do stress that, the hospitalization and death rate remains low, then I believe we might have reached a point where it will indeed be safe to  continue with the reduction in the restrictions. In the long term we are likely to have to live with this virus for many years, so the sooner we start to learn how to live in the new covid era, the better.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If, and I do stress that, the hospitalization and death rate remains low, then I believe we might have reached a point where it will indeed be safe to  continue with the reduction in the restrictions. In the long term we are likely to have to live with this virus for many years, so the sooner we start to learn how to live in the new covid era, the better.

Agreed. Whilst no one is denying that the Indian variant is more transmissible,  hospitalisation and death rates remain low. Additionally,  given the time of year, a lot more social interaction will take place outside, further reducing the chances of transmission. 

If we don't finally get back to some form of normality thus month, we never will. 

I’m another of the cautious types who’d rather wait for a few weeks at the current level (which is ok, isn’t it?) than risk the whole house of cards collapsing again.  I acknowledge and sympathise with those who are longing for full release, for business or personal reasons but surely it’s not worth risking all the gains we’ve made.

On a lighter note - lovely day again, we too are heading for the coast.

Just for kalos

I asked the butcher for the rib-eyes from the top shelf 

He said Sorry.  Can’t serve you.  The steaks are too high 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Agreed. Whilst no one is denying that the Indian variant is more transmissible,  hospitalisation and death rates remain low. Additionally,  given the time of year, a lot more social interaction will take place outside, further reducing the chances of transmission. 

If we don't finally get back to some form of normality thus month, we never will. 

I sympathise with your overall sentiment but I profoundly disagree with your final sentence.

I feel if we don’t squash this Indian/Delta variant “good and proper” now, we risk everything for the future.

Let’s get everyone vaccinated who can be vaccinated - it’s working for us oldies

Edited by Eddie99
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We don’t yet know about hospitalisation rates nationally, but they’re already increasing in the areas affected by the new variant. And it’s not right to say we’ll never get back to some sense of normality if we don’t move on 21 June - we’re simply talking about a short delay now to fend off possibly yet another complete lockdown in a couple of months.

It’s unfortunate that the world beating track and trace system failed yet again to achieve anything when there were just a handful of reported cases in the UK. What went wrong this time!

The British Medical Association are now advocating a delay. That’s good enough for me.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Personally I am not sure I want the restrictions lifted, even though I am fully vaccinated.

I know I won’t like people getting too close to me.

I agree with you though, it’s never going to go away and we are going to have to learn to live with it

Michelle

• Like 10

Good morning.

Quite a dilemma, with this Indian variant so prolific. I think we should stay as we are for now and hope that vaccines and good sense will get us through new wave. We cannot, IMO, shut down any businesses now open. The numbers of being hospitalised and deaths are low, so may have to accept that we are never going to eradicate Covid. Any deaths are one too many, but people die every day from many common diseases.

Anyway, it is a nice sunny warm day so enjoy.

Stay safe.

• Like 3

It’s the youngsters who I feel sorry for.

We all have many happy memories of our youth from school proms to going out with our mates at night.
Apart from no holidays, not going out for meals and coffee, seeing the grandchildren and friends less my life hasn’t  been dramatically different.

Michelle

• Like 7

The one that puzzles me is the W H O  is looking at changing the names of the variant's

from things like Kent ,Yorkshire, Indian as they think it  may stigmatize us that live within 

these area's . They want to use the Greek alphabet :classic_wacko:  Personally I do not feel that I am 

stigmatized in the slightest and do not see how this could possibly help in the fight 

against the virus and it's variants .

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, kalos said:

The one that puzzles me is the W H O  is looking at changing the names of the variant's

from things like Kent ,Yorkshire, Indian as they think it  may stigmatize us that live within 

these area's . They want to use the Greek alphabet :classic_wacko:  Personally I do not feel that I am 

stigmatized in the slightest and do not see how this could possibly help in the fight 

Dont stigmatise us, just blame the ancient Greeks 😇

• Like 2

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

As normal I will leave it to the proper experts, but it does seem that they are all singing from different hymn sheets. If everybody catches Covid, but don't get very ill, what's the problem with ending lockdown. If death rate goes through the roof, different decision, but it isn't. A week or so till decision time. One thing is for sure, if we don't get back to normal, we won't have any money anyway.

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Agree with that. If folk don't feel safe, don't go out. Those of us that do will try our best to stay safe. There is a risk we may catch it. If we do there is a small risk that we will get ill and an even smaller risk we may end up in hospital. One person died with it yesterday .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Does the Greek alphabet have enough letters in it!

• Like 2

Just now, davecttr said:

Does the Greek alphabet have enough letters in it!

One thing's for sure, once this deviant has diminished, another one will come along. Perhaps we should lockdown untill there is no risk, ever of another pandemic. I don't know how many folk are still in their nuclear bunkers that they entered in 1965. Is it safe to come out yet?.

• Like 1