Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

13 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Thank you for your service Sir! Not sure if you are aware of this statement, yesterday in front of the Broward County Commission, by Carnival Corp. Chief Maritime Officer, retired U.S. Navy Admiral William Burke:

plan is in place to send everyone home. He said buses will take 250 passengers to Canada, and a charter flight will take 120 Australians. Burke also said there will be charter flights to California, Germany and the United Kingdom.

If I might insert something here, when I was listening to Admiral Burke yesterday, I am almost positive he said the Canadians would be taking a charter flight to Toronto.  I didn't hear anything about buses.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sndral said:

Interesting. The travel advisory against cruise travel in the USA issued 3/8, the day after Zaandam left Buenos Aires. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/03/08/coronavirus-state-department-cruise-ship-travel/4998017002/

That's the most current advisory... The Canadian Armed Forces received deployment authority with the first one, March 2 or 3. 

• Like 1

Just now, StLouisCruisers said:

If I might insert something here, when I was listening to Admiral Burke yesterday, I am almost positive he said the Canadians would be taking a charter flight to Toronto.  I didn't hear anything about buses.

I heard that as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to report but the Governor of Florida was interviewed by a news channel about an hour ago and he is still sticking to his previous position about not allowing the Zaandam to dock.  He said he has spoken with the White House and the Broward and Miami-Dade authorities about this and he sees the cruise ship as a big problem.  See attached link at the 2:45 minute mark.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-desantis-coronavirus-statewide-stay-at-home-order-lockdown

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, capriccio said:

No problem correcting me!  I had just returned to the thread and saw that post and was going to correct mine here!

Thank you, capriccio.  I appreciate your posts.  Good luck in S. Florida, I am in Texas and we both need it.

6 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I did not hear that personally but, then again, I joined the broadcast in the middle of it. The "bus the Canadians home" is attributed to having been made by Admiral Burke. It certainly would be a long bus ride! I wish there was a way to listen to the broadcast again

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Sorry to report but the Governor of Florida was interviewed by a news channel about an hour ago and he is still sticking to his previous position about not allowing the Zaandam to dock.  He said he has spoken with the White House and the Broward and Miami-Dade authorities about this and he sees the cruise ship as a big problem.  See attached link at the 2:45 minute mark.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-desantis-coronavirus-statewide-stay-at-home-order-lockdown

Unless I'm mistaken, that interview shows (in the upper left) that it was recorded at 7:19 AM today,  not an hour ago.   (DeSantis did still use the word "dumped" more than once to refer to human beings, so he was definitely consistent in that.)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

I did not hear that personally but, then again, I joined the broadcast in the middle of it. The "bus the Canadians home" is attributed to having been made by Admiral Burke. It certainly would be a long bus ride! I wish there was a way to listen to the broadcast again

I listened to the entire meeting including the one hour "10 minute" break!  lol

A bus was never mentioned as part of the CCL plan for Canada.  It was a

charter flight to Toronto.  Burke did mention possibly busing non Floridian US citizens to their States which was the only group CCL had not figured out yet.  Of course buses would take all the UK, Western Cali and Canadians to the airport which were the three charters mentioned.

The western Cali charter would also include Australian and Kiwi residents he mentioned.

Edited by Nymich
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Look here for meeting replay archive:

https://broward.granicus.com/ViewPublisher.php?view_id=15

scroll down, click archive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Would this work for you?  Hope it helps.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Unless I'm mistaken, that interview shows (in the upper left) that it was recorded at 7:19 AM today,  not an hour ago.   (DeSantis did still use the word "dumped" more than once to refer to human beings, so he was definitely consistent in that.)

No you are not mistaken, I am.  The headline said "Updated an hour ago" (two hours ago now) but as you noted the interview was recorded at about 7:19 AM.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

The AP is saying the same thing.  It has the link to the coast guard marine safety bulletin which goes into details about most of the issues which have been raised on this thread. 

https://homeport.uscg.mil/Lists/Content/Attachments/62863/MSIB 20-001 COVID-19 Cruiseship Medical Capabilities_Signed.29Mar20.pdf

Edited by Barefoot_Pirate
Wrong link.
  • Like 2

As this saga continues and the two ships are in the Straits off the northern coast of Cuba NE of Havana and almost due south of Key West. There are other HAL ships that have been at the Great Bahama anchorage. They are not all there now. Just Zuiderdan, Nieuw Statendam and Veendam.  The Volendam is currently cruising south of Great Abaco. BUT Nieuw Amsterdam is due east of Port Everglades in the Straits appearing to be heading south or re positioning. Will continue to monitor her but Copper do you think there is a chance that something could be going on where Nieuw A could be preparing to meet up with Z & R as they approach for additional help. All we can do is wait and see what happens. As I said before the only way to see where they are going is to track them. I hope that HAL doesn't go back to the ports,countries,etc that refused to help. Exception would be whoever helps get these people off.

Edited by rjbean4

1 hour ago, jerseyjjs said:

All 1,243 passengers or just the 305 U.S. citizens?

I am sure all passengers want to go home.

No different than the US citizens that have been stuck in other countries.  I am sure they don't want to be stuck in the United States for an indeterminate manner of time.

4 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Admiral Burke starts at the 1 hour 50 minute mark.  

And to think I listened to the entire thing and I could have waited a day, posted things I read in the media, mix in my personal opinions and this would have saved me almost two hours!

12 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Would this work for you?  Hope it helps.

Thanks very much for that!

At 1.56.38 "250 Canadians on a chartered flt to Toronto". The reported plan that I quoted earlier as to a "bus ride for the Canadian" pax was in error! Apologies for quoting erroneous info!  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eriksgarden said:

We must show humanity and compassion for these people. Remember the St. Louis!

I have thought about the plight of the St. Louis ever since this issue began and ships sailing in Asia were having difficulty finding a port that would accept them.

I wonder how many remember the St. Louis and what happened to her passengers.

• Like 6