Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

1 hour ago, someguyfl said:

I think the better question is, for the purposes of the frequent cruiser program, do any additional nights stuck on the boat "count" towards elite status?

Thank you for your post.😀   Days at sea do count, usually, for the Medallion program as well as for an invitation to the President's Club, I believe.  

For those guests who may want to quibble:  do these unpaid sea days count or not.  I doubt that very many, if any, on Zaandam or Rotterdam will want to pursue this question.

6 minutes ago, YXU AC*SE said:

I have on good authority (okay mostly-shaky-all-y'all-shouldn't-listen-to-me personal authority) that Crown Royal is internally applied hand sanitizer. 

#gowashyourhands.       🙂        Scott.  

Is it acceptable that I substitute Canadian Club for Crown Royal?

• Like 1

Thanks  to Anne for posting the contact e mails.

I sent my e mails..as a  Fla taxpayer and frequent Fla cruiser, asking that they let the ships dock in PEv on humanitarian grounds.

The Cruise line should have cancelled the trip.   The Pax should not have gone......but  now people are reaching out  for a humanitarian life preserver.  They should not be denied!

The Coast Guard memo was scary!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Max2003 said:

We saw the sail by at St Andres yesterday.  I thought it was strange at the time.  I assume it would be dicey transferring from one ventilator to another, unless they were going to leave the HAL ventilator.  This will be an incredible story of effort when it is all told!

According to USA Today article they have two transfer ventilators onboard to be able to move a ventilator dependent patient from one facility to another. I wonder if they were able to bring Redmisver or the other drugs being used to decrease severity of covaid 19 or Thermuflu and other antivirals for pneumonia  as part of the medical supplies Rotterdam brought. 

• Like 1

Couple minutes ago moving up the Florida Keys. Zaandam and Rotterdam side by side or so it appears and moving fast!

note: Sky Princess is the Blue ship just in front on them

BA3D6F24-D3CA-4C71-A7BD-FCA5E3D10F72.jpeg

Edited by JVilleGal
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Sent my e mails..as a  Fla taxpayer and frequent Fla cruiser, asking that they let the ships dock in PEv on humanitarian grounds.

Cruiseline should have cancelled the trip.  Pax should not have gone.

But now people are reaching out  for a humanitarian life preserver.  They should not be denied!

The Coast Guard memo was scary!

Agree 100 Percent! Although we can't leave them out there ! 

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Yes.  So what?  Social distancing can still be implemented.

Pardon me, I wasn't meaning anything adverse by stating this.  Just reflecting on past visits and remembering the problems experienced by passengers less mobile than myself;  the perils of swells where transferral of passenger to tender and tender to ship can result in mishaps, none of which they can afford to treat in addition to their present overload.

45 minutes ago, Niagarawine said:

For the Canadians on board, 237 of them , when 9/11 happened do you Americans remember what happened ? The planes landed in Newfoundland and we fed and cared for you.

Yes, we do. One of the many reasons I am appalled at this situation. I realize that this situation is different, but both situations are/were complex and dangerous. 

I am forever grateful to your Country & its citizens. You will always be my neighbor to the North. Stay well.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

Let them dock at Half Moon Cay so the passengers can at least get off, stretch their legs, enjoy the sun, go for a swim etc.  And of course try to maintain social distancing.  

Not much medical support there.

No airports so they can return home.

Doesn't work at all.

How is it ethical to deny entry, anywhere in this case?  Do they deny entry in good times?  Of course not!  Hands are feverishly rubbed together at the calculation of the amount of money to be made when a cruise ship of any registry is scheduled to dock at a port.  Where are those same hands when things are less than stellar?  This is a bad marriage; there is no "in sickness and in health" reciprocating arrangement.  I equate people in containment here to being lashed to trees and left in the woods to await the wolves to take them down one at a time.  

I wonder if there is some lawyer out there that would entertain a class-action lawsuit to these people basically being held hostage.

5 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Put the pressure on who?

We have no decisive leadership in Florida that is willing to firmly put in place state wide restrictions but instead leaves it up to the "locals."

Southeast Florida is currently a hot spot with insufficient medical supplies for the local population.

Perhaps the OP could speak to his  neighbors and volunteer his home locale as a quarantine site.

As long as planes are landing with no control over what is on them Florida is at risk. Taking a known quantity and getting them off and to a safe place is better than letting them get sick and die on the ship. I am appalled at how people think. I am a frontline medical worker and know the risks daily and still go to work. These are human beings who were happy cruisers like we all were and are caught up in an  awful situation.  I personally experience insufficient supplies and still do my job everyday. I would be happy to help them. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I heard the President in his daily report and I think arms will be twisted.  He wants Port Everglades to accept the ship and disembark healthy passengers.  He also wants doctors to go on board and care for the sick on the Zaandam. He has compassion for the passengers.  

• Like 21

For the first time in my life I’m ashamed of my state of Florida. This is appalling and unforgivable. As a cruiser, there I go but of the grace of God. I’ve registered my displeasure with the Governors office. No excuse for this lack of humanity and compassion . So, so sad. My heart and prayers go out to all those on board, as well as their families .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 21

3 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Looks like Broward County is still not in agreement with the cruise line but negotiations continue, no doubt.

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2020/04/01/officials-reject-carnivals-entry-plan-for-2-ships-to-come-to-port-everglades/

The PRESIDENT of the UNITED STATES wants the ships to dock. I think Governor DeSantis will bend and over rule  the Broward Cuunty  will have to allow it.

• Like 7

I don't know what the outcome will be, of course, but I hope:

1) that a plan gets put in place to take care of the ill pax/crew and

2) that those so called "healthy" are not allowed to disembark and go on like normal. 

According to Dr. Fauci (the only one of the "crew" I trust) about 25% of asymptomatic people are contagious.  The ill need to be taken to a proper medical facility and the "healthy/asymptomatic" need to be quarantined for 14 days. 

This is what I think we should avoid:

"You were indeed very lucky to avoid the covid-19. More than 40% of corona deaths here in Australia  have been from the cruise ships. Mostly from Ruby and now over 440 positive cases have been related to the Ruby.The next wave will be of those in contact with these passengers. Everyone in the whole country is in home isolation and any returning from overseas by air or sea are now being housed in city hotels or a couple of islands under guard. Hopefully this may  help to minimize the spread here."

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2743278-ruby-princess-march-8-new-zealand-cruise-review/

Edited by bluesea321
  • Like 4

For the Canadians on board, 237 of them , when 9/11 happened do you Americans remember what happened ? The planes landed in Newfoundland and we fed and cared for you.

Yes, I do remember that as if it was yesterday. I also remember back to the hostage situation in Iran back in 76 when the Canadian embassy helped us getting Americans out. As an
American, I’m so embarrassed by how this has been handled.
I was a first responder on 9/11. One of my memories is of those that volunteered, and put themselves in harms way to help and support us. This is the America that I know and love. Where is this spirit today ?

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, fdnycruiser said:

For the first time in my life I’m ashamed of my state of Florida. This is appalling and unforgivable. As a cruiser, there I go but of the grace of God. I’ve registered my displeasure with the Governors office. No excuse for this lack of humanity and compassion . So, so sad. My heart and prayers go out to all those on board, as well as their families .

You are ashamed of the Broward County Commissioners who met yesterday and a few  who made passionate pleas to bring the people in?  I am proud of them and trust they will!  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Himself said:

President Trump believes the ships should be welcomed for humanitarian reasons.  God Bless President Trump.

Is it appropriate for me to say that I think God has been finally successful in getting the message to his brain that he ought to trust what his God given intellect is telling him and not his "gut" as he makes decisions?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, hcat said:

Thanks  to Anne for posting the contact e mails.

I sent my e mails..as a  Fla taxpayer and frequent Fla cruiser, asking that they let the ships dock 

I too sent emails. Though not a Florida resident at this time (former resident with friends urging us to move to join them) we have taken plenty of cruises through  Ft Lauderdale and Miam as well as other vacations family visits there. 

• Thanks 1