Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

4 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have thought about the plight of the St. Louis ever since this issue began and ships sailing in Asia were having difficulty finding a port that would accept them.

I wonder how many remember the St. Louis and what happened to her passengers.

We must remember and not just say, but live through our actions, "Never again!"

• Like 2

Doesn't help the case when a  passenger named Charles on the Rotterdam is being shown on his FaceTime call on our local news right now saying and I quote " no one dare say a thing, if you have a little scratchy throat, you keep your mouth shut.  If you have a little headache, you keep your mouth shut."  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, ajstahle said:

Have you guys noticed that Port of FLL has both ships departing at 17:00 tomorrow?  Maybe a temporary time schedule?

That stuff is listed but not confirmed. Both ships will not enter Port Everglades propper until permission is granted by the entities involved

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

Another consideration is the County and Port need to consider the ships need to return where HAL has resources and staff to handle the disembarkation correctly. Sending them to Galveston or New Orleans or Mobile where they don't have those resources is senseless.  

That’s not entirely true. Carnival has a presence in all those ports, so the infrastructure is in place. The port in Galveston can handle much larger ships than the HAL ships.

Watching Gov. Desantis on Fox News right now.

He said he didn't think anyone on board these ships were from United States.

Now realizes many are from U.S. and 30-40 are actually from Florida.

(actually closer to 50! - he was not well informed on this issue at all!)

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Max2003 said:

DeSantis on Cavuto sounds like he has modified his tough stance.  Says he just realized there are 50 Floridians on board and 300 Americans.    Sounds like it will be FLL.

It will be..….. it has to be...…. there is no one else allowing ships.

He did 360 deg turn.. ( backing off earlier stance 100 %) gave his reasons.... but most important  is that he  said it would all work out.. Said they can get people off and returned home, and handle medical care for thise who need it.! 

I  hopefully suspect the other players will fall in line as well.

Happy  to Hear the News!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Thanks very much for that!

At 1.56.38 "250 Canadians on a chartered flt to Toronto". The reported plan that I quoted earlier as to a "bus ride for the Canadian" pax was in error! Apologies for quoting erroneous info!  

For all you do here, I think we can give you a pass on this one. 😍

• Like 15

11 minutes ago, rotjeknor said:

Any chance of sailing to Rotterdam , since the ships are flagged in the Netherlands ?

What if the US refuses them to dock, is the Dutch government then obligated to receive them in their homeport ?

Netherlands would involve, what, 5 or 6 days out of sight of land? If things get really bad on the ship there's no hope for medevac on a transatlantic.

1 hour ago, bluesea321 said:

Sorry to report but the Governor of Florida was interviewed by a news channel about an hour ago and he is still sticking to his previous position about not allowing the Zaandam to dock.  He said he has spoken with the White House and the Broward and Miami-Dade authorities about this and he sees the cruise ship as a big problem.  See attached link at the 2:45 minute mark.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-desantis-coronavirus-statewide-stay-at-home-order-lockdown

That wasn't exactly what he said, although I have to admit it isn't clear what he did say.  However, all Americans will be allowed to disembark.  What happens to the rest was not revealed.

• Like 1

here's a thought - why not set up 2 field hospitals in the parking lot of the port. 

One for sick passengers, one for not sick.  

This way everyone is contained, if you have no symptoms, you just hang out 

for 14 or however many days to make sure you do not get sick and then you can be released. but not just to anywhere, flights will need to be arranged to home states or countries.  

if you have any symptoms, you stay in the sick tent until you recover.

Of course any seriously ill people who need to be hospitalized will be.

at least its not a just let them off the boat to travel who knows where

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, sansterre said:

Too bad he or his staff didn’t bother to read the Port Everglades Zaandam update that has been posted since March 30 and included those statistics!  Readers of this thread have known it.

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, sansterre said:

Seriously??  🙄

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

That wasn't exactly what he said, although I have to admit it isn't clear what he did say.  However, all Americans will be allowed to disembark.  What happens to the rest was not revealed.

I actually expect we'll see what I proposed a few days ago - a multi-port drop off plans - Americans in FL, Canadians in Canada, and Europeans at a European-affiliated port...

3 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Such compassion.

Only Floridians to disembark in FLL.

Other Americans, Canadians and others, fare for yourself.

IS HE KIDDING?????????????? I was joking when I said that I hoped he would let more than just the Florida Fifty disembark. No other state that took passengers limited it to people from their state. 

Is there any way for HAL to appeal this?

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 2