NCL Kicked Us OFF Their Ship in a Foreign Country

tjbarney

3 hours ago, KS&JW said:

This was not a normal disembarkation.  They had no idea they were going to end the cruise at that point.  And to give them no help with flights is just wrong.  

That was my point...it was the OP who suggested it was my fault for assuming that "kicked off" meant something wrong.

Odd that you think NCL should be booking their flights though. I actually had flown to Port Canaveral on March 12th to board the Carnival Breeze on March 14th. The morning of the cruise, Carnival notified us that the cruise was cancelled. There I was in Port Canaveral...no cruise, no hotel, and no flight to take me back home. Does that make it Carnival's responsibility to become my travel agent and get me home?

3 minutes ago, BillDz said:

This is the kind of operational risk that makes a person very reluctant to cruise right now. And makes one wish that NCL would promptly cancel cruises that involve that kind of risk.

This is also the kind of behavior that will have me choosing a refund instead of taking FCC.  Norwegian cannot treat loyal customers this badly and then ask for our trust.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

That was my point...it was the OP who suggested it was my fault for assuming that "kicked off" meant something wrong.

Odd that you think NCL should be booking their flights though. I actually had flown to Port Canaveral on March 12th to board the Carnival Breeze on March 14th. The morning of the cruise, Carnival notified us that the cruise was cancelled. There I was in Port Canaveral...no cruise, no hotel, and no flight to take me back home. Does that make it Carnival's responsibility to become my travel agent and get me home?

Much easier situation, and cheaper, to find your way back home than from a different continent and in less than 24 hours.  I'm not saying that doesn't suck at all, it does.  I personally wouldn't have been leaving on a trip at that point though.  When we left the States on February 25th there were only a handful of known cases in Washington State, and none in South America (where we were going).  It blew up quickly while we were on our first 2 weeks.  When you left your home on March 12th, it was becoming a much bigger issue and more travel restrictions were starting to be put in place.  I'm not here to argue with anyone.  I am only trying to bring attention to a situation that happened.  If I didn't share, you all would not know.  Of course I hope that NCL can also be held accountable for leaving us stranded.

Edited by tjbarney
  • Like 4

Just now, Travelling2Some said:

This is also the kind of behavior that will have me choosing a refund instead of taking FCC.

Agreed. They're being so opaque about their intentions that it's impossible to trust them.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

This is also the kind of behavior that will have me choosing a refund instead of taking FCC.  Norwegian cannot treat loyal customers this badly and then ask for our trust.

This.

Even though I will with a very high probability cruise with them again I choose the refund for both cruises affected. Just because I assume that will put more stress on the company and people in charge there. And the 25% and 50% isn't so much additional value that it isn't worth it.

35 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

"NOT YOUR FAULT"...in all caps. Wow. Was it the fault of the cruise line that they had to close down? Maybe the fault of the Government that required them to shut down? Maybe it should be the Government that should pay for airfare. NCL was forced to shut down. That is NOT THEIR FAULT. So how does it fall on them to pay for someone's return home?

I never said it was the fault of anyone - it is a horrific situation but to cancel a cruise and not even try to assist those impacted is a horrible customer experience.  They should have assisted with the transportation and also assisted with trying to get them home.  I sometimes am amazed at how common decency and treating customers as having value seems to be ridiculed by people here.  Other companies are handling this much better than NCL - this situation is horrible and no ones fault but I will tell you if my company treated their customers like this we would be out of business

And stranding paying customers 5000 miles from where they were supposed to end is definitely on them to at least assist.  .

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Liljo22 said:

That is a bit of an overreaction.    
NCL should in the least reimbursed for travel expenses but they didn’t put anyone’s health in risk.

I disagree.

Being abandoned in a foreign country and left to your own devices in the middle of a pandemic might put many into not only a health risk, but a psychological health risk. Not only that but there was a risk of being left in Chile and not being able to get back home. The state department was advising travelers in foreign countries to get home or lose the ability to get home at all. There are many American stuck in that position now. I have no doubt in an airline passenger group of the sizes these cruisers were coming home on, there were at least several coronavirus carriers on board.

Not in a contest with you on the worst treatment. This just happens to take the cake in my book.

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, SeaShark said:

I'd like to see if there is one person out there who reads the title of this thread and thinks that kicked off means normal disembarkation.

🖐️ Count me as one.  But I have been following the cruise industry and know the current state of affairs. 

Edited by mianmike

Just now, cruisequeen4ever said:

They should definitely be reimbursing you for your flight costs. I can’t believe the customer relations’ response. I’d see on your Roll Call if anyone else is in your same situation, and you can all contact NCL together. 

Yes. The OP was properly disembarked when their cruise was cancelled. Unless the OP was totally oblivious to world events, they should have been aware that their cruise was at high risk. And the cancellation should not have been a surprise. It certainly would not have taken me more than an hour to pack my belongings and spend another hour rebooking flights. The cruise line would have zero idea where people wanted to fly to, so they could not do that unilaterally. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I would write a letter or email to Mr. Del Rio, copying Harry Sommer.  In the letter I would let them know what money you are out due to them cancelling the cruise.

1.  The shuttle cost
  2. The additional cost of the new ticket including change fee; the price of the ticket you originally held from Florida home versus the new ticket you had to purchase from Santiago to home

I would not include things in the letter that were not NCL's fault, like having to sit at the airport, flight sold out after you purchase your new tickets or things like the officers told us, unless you have proof to back it up (because everyone says someone told them whether true or not) or that you managed to get home, as they probably figured it out since you are writing this letter.  

Most of all, the letter should be professional, brief just stating the facts without emotions/drama and please, instead of saying you were kicked off the cruise, say you were asked to depart the cruise.

Just my opinion, I'm sure others have differing opinions.

• Like 6

NLH Arizona has shared very important directive for this situation.  There's no way an antagonistic confrontation would benefit anyone.  Be very profressional and to the point when you contact NCL corporate.  

Good luck, I truly hope you get some type of compensation. 

8 hours ago, tjbarney said:

Thank you.  Plus they made us pay for their bus transportation to the airport, just another way they could make a buck off of us when they knew we had no other choice.  It wasn't as if we could hope to get a taxi from the very commercial port for a 2 hour drive to the airport.  People who had planned to disembark there had prior arrangements for private cars to transport them.  We had to be taken in bus shuttles from the ship to a safer area near the port exit due to the fact it was a commercial port (think only large container ships and containers and cranes everywhere).

There certainly were taxis available,   and bus service.  The  bus I happened to take was only half full,  walk up (which I always do)      But you streamlined in your case.   You did get out-  which is positive.   I ended up buying 2 additional back up tickets- to hedge my bets getting out,  but was successful on Sunday.   🙂   

4 hours ago, Petoonya said:

I disagree.

Being abandoned in a foreign country and left to your own devices in the middle of a pandemic might put many into not only a health risk, but a psychological health risk. Not only that but there was a risk of being left in Chile and not being able to get back home. The state department was advising travelers in foreign countries to get home or lose the ability to get home at all. There are many American stuck in that position now. I have no doubt in an airline passenger group of the sizes these cruisers were coming home on, there were at least several coronavirus carriers on board.

Not in a contest with you on the worst treatment. This just happens to take the cake in my book.

No,  I think the better option is for people to have the skills themselves to make their own arrangements,  or make their own contacts via agents.     What was NCL supposed to do?   The SAME thing.  But with extremely limited available staff-  and the necessity of standing in lines,   long waits etc.     Each person is a LOT more efficient getting things done independently.     The later it gets the less availability.    

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tjbarney said:

Technically they did put us all at risk for getting stuck in a foreign country during a pandemic.  The borders of Chile closed down on the 16th, and we were off the ship on the 14th.  We were super lucky to get seats on a flight as shortly after we booked, the same flight sold out and the next flight out with seats available would have been 2 days later.  Might have gotten stuck.  God was certainly looking out for us!  

That wasn't NCL, that was the Chilean gov't.

Would you have rather the alternative - they sail with just the B2B travellers, and you get refused docking in Flordia, so you're still stuck on the ship?

Of the two possible options, I know which I'd prefer.

• Like 2

Like mentioned above, write the CEO.

When HAL had the "only at sea" cruise on the Westerdam on FEB 1.  I just decided I could not go on that cruise to Asia as the epidemic was gaining speed and did not fly to Hong Kong to board the ship.  I was out to lose a lot of money and my trip insurance would not cover epidemics. 

I wrote an email to CEO, stated my case (CDC and WHO recommendations, etc).  I was polite, stated only the facts.  Did not blame anyone.  I just stated what I wanted, a full refund.

The next day, someone from CEO office called me and said I would get a full refund back to my credit card.  I got the full refund about a month later. 

It is better to handle it in a professional manner and go to the top.  Good luck  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tjbarney said:

Thank you.  I am not one to complain and call people out.  I tried for the last week and a half to get NCL to make this right, or at least acknowledge this situation.  They haven't, so I have resorted to posting this so everyone will know how they are treating their customers.  

Thank goodness you made it home. I am grateful for your posts and the information shared. Please continue to stay safe in Oklahoma and look forward to your next adventure, although hopefully it will be smoother sailing next time.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Yes. The OP was properly disembarked when their cruise was cancelled. Unless the OP was totally oblivious to world events, they should have been aware that their cruise was at high risk. And the cancellation should not have been a surprise. It certainly would not have taken me more than an hour to pack my belongings and spend another hour rebooking flights. The cruise line would have zero idea where people wanted to fly to, so they could not do that unilaterally. 

So was NCL totally oblivious to world events that they did such a terrible job cancelling the cruise and getting people back to the USA? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

What was NCL supposed to do?

They did not have to do very much at all to have come out looking the hero's instead of villains.

If they had just showed compassion, given free use of the cyber cafe/internet on own devices (without time restriction), made an experienced member of staff available to assist (probably the voyagers manager/team), and simply got pax from the ship to the airport.

If I were in charge in this situation, I would have invited all the affected people to the theatre for a Q&A, offered my full support, introduced everyone to the team who would be assisting and simply demonstrated I was doing everything in my power to help, even if there was little I could do.

If these small things had been done most people (and I suspect the OP as they sound level headed) would be singing NCL's praises right now, sometimes just showing a little empathy and leaving people feeling they are not on their own makes a world of difference.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Level six said:

Like mentioned above, write the CEO.

When HAL had the "only at sea" cruise on the Westerdam on FEB 1.  I just decided I could not go on that cruise to Asia as the epidemic was gaining speed and did not fly to Hong Kong to board the ship.  I was out to lose a lot of money and my trip insurance would not cover epidemics. 

I wrote an email to CEO, stated my case (CDC and WHO recommendations, etc).  I was polite, stated only the facts.  Did not blame anyone.  I just stated what I wanted, a full refund.

The next day, someone from CEO office called me and said I would get a full refund back to my credit card.  I got the full refund about a month later. 

It is better to handle it in a professional manner and go to the top.  Good luck  

Thank you for giving your experience and success, I'm so glad they listened and gave you a full refund.  We were super lucky to have just ended our NCL SE Asia cruise in Hong Kong on Jan 25 and barely got out of there.  Funny this happens to us on the very next NCL cruise we had scheduled.  I actually tried to get out of the SA cruise due to the fact I wasn't sure what was going on with the virus.  We too were told no way we would get a refund and would lose all our money.  I am glad we went and at least got the first half of our trip as it was a really cool cruise.

Do you have the CEO's email?

• Like 3

OP you are absolutely right.  You're not blaming the virus.  You are blaming NCL for how they dealt with customers in this situation, which was very, very bad IMHO  I'm glad you are home.  Call the media!

I can not believe that NCL didn't offer you any reimbursement or FCC. The bad press is going to cost them a lot more than what they should have done to make this right.  That seems to be how they want to run their company, which is up to them.  I would ask them , "how's that working out for ya".  Time will tell...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

If they had just showed compassion, given free use of the cyber cafe/internet on own devices (without time restriction)...

Totally disagree with not having a time restriction .  If there wasn't a time restriction, there would be those passengers that would stay on it for hours.  They needed to restrict time, so everyone could have the opportunity to change their flights and other reservations.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Totally disagree with not having a time restriction .  If there wasn't a time restriction, there would be those passengers that would stay on it for hours.  They needed to restrict time, so everyone could have the opportunity to change their flights and other reservations.

Lol, well there wasn't much time for us left on board at this point.  Luckily I am savvy and was able to get us flights booked well before a lot of the others.  The only reason we chose to "streamline" (as some other poster tried to use in a negative way) our transportation to the airport was the fact it was 2 hours away from the airport, in a major commercial port, and I figured we would have the easiest time getting reimbursed if we chose their direct service.  Ha, how wrong I was at that point in hoping they would stand by their word and reimburse us.  Our flights were nearly $1,100 per person as well, the cheapest option available.