Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Today is our grandson Chris's 19th Birthday.  He's celebrating today at Villanova University, where he began his Sophomore year there last week.

Today is also our granddaughter Meghan's 17th Birthday.  She's celebrating her big day in Manhattan today.  Meghan began her Senior year in High School in West Hartford last week.  We call Meghan and Chris the Birthday twins😊

Today we found out that our Ava Jude made the Shore Conference Field Hockey "Preseason Players to Watch" list.  She is the Captain of her High School Field Hockey team, and will be starting her Senior year next week.  

They sure make us so proud!

• Like 16

@harryfat1We went on a Carnival cruise years ago, and Jim forgot to pack enough underwear for the week.  Luckily, the ship had a laundry room where guests can do their own laundry!!

To answer your question about over or under packing,  I'm an "over", but plan on working on doing better on our next cruise, although it looks like we may have to pack a light jacket and closed shoes for Canada.

At Mass today, our pastor said there are two kinds of travelers.  Those that pack light, and those that wish they did😁

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Today is our grandson Chris's 19th Birthday.  He's celebrating today at Villanova University, where he began his Sophomore year there last week.

Today is also our granddaughter Meghan's 17th Birthday.  She's celebrating her big day in Manhattan today.  Meghan began her Senior year in High School in West Hartford last week.  We call Meghan and Chris the Birthday twins😊

Today we found out that our Ava Jude made the Shore Conference Field Hockey "Preseason Players to Watch" list.  She is the Captain of her High School Field Hockey team, and will be starting her Senior year next week.  

Congratulations to your grandson Chris,granddaughter Meghan and granddaughter Ava Jude.Congratulations to you and Jim.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Have you ever tried frozen chocolate covered key lime pie on a stick?  Ambrosia!!

Yum yum yum yum yum!  I couldn't agree more!  

image.thumb.jpeg.b0cf9e0569aa58f9437cc0d68846a3df.jpeg

I just realized that in this picture I look like my avatar, the late great Miss Priss, squinty eyes and hairstyle both!  🤣

• Like 14

13 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

For example, for a 7 night cruise, do you pack 8 pairs of underwear "just in case" you need an extra pair such that you are a +1 packer?  Or do you "double up" on a night as to pack light and be a -1 packer?

I do all of the packing in our house. My guys choose their outfits, but then I come along behind them and add things I know they may need and Tetris it all into the suitcases. EVERYONE gets +1 over here. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

I do all of the packing in our house. My guys choose their outfits, but then I come along behind them and add things I know they may need and Tetris it all into the suitcases. EVERYONE gets +1 over here. 😂

We pack way extra on every cruise, plus we always get free laundry because of suite and status . We each take a large suitcase and a garment bag and a carry on .

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Congratulations to your grandson Chris,granddaughter Meghan and granddaughter Ava Jude.Congratulations to you and Jim.

Thank you, Lenny!

45 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Happy 19th wishes to Chris.

Thank you, Greg!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Happy Birthday to all and Congratulations to Ava.

How are Jack and Ryan doing?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, harryfat1 said:

Yeah, if you are thinking this hard about it, just bring the whole kit and caboodle. 

What will likely happen is 95% of the time you will ask yourself, why did I listen to that stupid Harry guy and drag this crap half way around the world as I don't need it.

Then 5% of the time, you will say to yourself, glad I made the right decision to drag all this crap half way around the world for "these photos".

At the end of the day, it's not about the 10,000 pictures you did take on your vacation that you will remember but the few that "got away" that you would have had if you brought your equipment that will haunt you. 

Like you said, it's already paid and bought for, suck it up and take it with you.  Just cut back on the socks and underwear in other luggage to make it less heavy.

Go "commando" if necessary...🤪 

What I've learned, is that I'm not the type of photographer who likes to hang his/her photos on the wall.  I take pictures for the fun of it (especially editing on the computer...I'm a nerd) and to "document" our travels.  My photos are mostly for social media sharing and very occassionally, to hang on the wall.  If I want an enlarged photo of someplace that I've been to frame and hang, I'll look for it on the internet and purchase it from a pro photographer.  I'm too critical of my own work.

Someone on CC a while ago asked if anyone had a good sunset photo that they were willing to send to her so she could blow it up and hang on her wall.  I sent her a photo from Hawaii.  She cropped it into 3 photos that she printed on canvas and hung next to each other...sort of a 3 part panorama.  I take more joy in knowing that she likes that photo on her wall, than I ever would having it hang on my own wall.  Here's the original photo that I took, and a picture that she sent of it hanging on her wall.

_CM_4438.thumb.jpg.5c4d4ad8ab0f2edbceb319085a6c7625.jpg

wall.thumb.jpg.f33bf19af95fc9bf6d42e69bd7ad7c35.jpg

• Like 19

1 hour ago, George C said:

We pack way extra on every cruise, plus we always get free laundry because of suite and status . We each take a large suitcase and a garment bag and a carry on .

I think there are two packing extremes:

1. Pack very light so that you only need carryon bags.  This makes travel easy and avoids any possibility of lost luggage.

2. Bring several suitcases and let the various forms of transportation (planes, taxis, ships, etc.) schlep around your luggage.  Tip well so that there's a better chance that your luggage actually shows up in one piece.  You then have plenty of space to pack whatever you want.

I see the value of option 1 but if you're not going to go with option 1, you might as well go with option 2.  Anything in the middle seems like a waste.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bobmacliberty said:

I think there are two packing extremes:

1. Pack very light so that you only need carryon bags.  This makes travel easy and avoids any possibility of lost luggage.

2. Bring several suitcases and let the various forms of transportation (planes, taxis, ships, etc.) schlep around your luggage.  Tip well so that there's a better chance that your luggage actually shows up in one piece.  You then have plenty of space to pack whatever you want.

I see the value of option 1 but if you're not going to go with option 1, you might as well go with option 2.  Anything in the middle seems like a waste.

Do you mean tip well when you drop off your luggage ? I always tip very well and on nearly every cruise I have been on one piece of my luggage either arrives late at night or I have to go searching for it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Did one of his comments catch up to him such that he's playing Monopoly?

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

What did he do now?

Waayyy above my pay grade.

I've tried to understand ... but I can't really say   😉

Since I feel that my English is not good enough to voice "strong" opinions, I mostly participate here and on Bella's [unless I can provide some useful info for someone on other threads].

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Do you mean tip well when you drop off your luggage ? I always tip very well and on nearly every cruise I have been on one piece of my luggage either arrives late at night or I have to go searching for it.

The problem is that the guy you tip at drop off is not allowed to be on the ship, and has absolutely nothing to do with the delivery on the ship, regardless of what he tells you.

The last cruise, the tag came off, but not before it got sorted got go the the correct floor and  and side and correct section, so I just walked down the hall and found it. 

Rarely happens though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sgmn said:

Thank you 😊 

It's all good now but was a bit traumatic. Baba was born on his due date, text book delivery, all going well until the last few minutes when he ingested some meconium into his stomach and lungs. So was floppy and not crying. Crash button was pushed and baba was whisked away for a few hours which was of course extremely scarey for them . 

He was on oxygen for 24 hours and antibiotics, but late last night they were told he can go home. 

We've had a couple of visits in hospital and got to cuddle him , very precious and perfect 🥰 

Hope to post some pics in a day or so

Relieved to hear your newest grandchild is healthy after a traumatic first 24hrs.  Congratulations to your DIL and son and you and Gary on being grandparents again.  Enjoy those precious cuddles and new baby smell.  Look forward to the photos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Happy Birthday to the Birthday Twins and you certainly have grandchildren to be proud of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

The problem is that the guy you tip at drop off is not allowed to be on the ship, and has absolutely nothing to do with the delivery on the ship, regardless of what he tells you.

The last cruise, the tag came off, but not before it got sorted got go the the correct floor and  and side and correct section, so I just walked down the hall and found it. 

Rarely happens though.

One time at PE, the guy that takes your bag and moves it two feet onto a cart was tip fishing. He said he would get my bag right ro my cabin. I started laughing and said... yeah right.. as I walked away. I hate being lied to.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, taznremmy said:

OMG!!  This brought back a memory from a long time ago.  We had a Siamese and she did the same.  Unfortunately for me, I had set the lemon meringue pie I had made up there. What a mess!!

I’m playing catch up from Denmark.  Arrived here 9/1 for today’s TA cruise on Voyager to Boston via Iceland and Greenland.  The weather here has been great.  A cloudy day yesterday, with some showers, but mostly clear skies and sunshine.  

I hope you are having an awesome cruise.    That is an amazing itinerary and one is definitely want to do in my future cruises.      Enjoy🤩

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

After we booked I saw you were on the roll call and was really happy too!  It will be really nice to meet you and Gary.   😀

@sgmn

Debbie, good thing that Sue now knows how you look 😘 . 

It helped me "apprehend" Sue on our cruise. Since she got an upgrade in the last moment [and I didn't know her new cabin #], on the first sea day I've positioned myself in a "strategic" place and started looking for Sue&Gary.... Sure enough, after an hour [or two], someone looking like Gary passed me. I called politely "Gary" ?, then louder, but turns out he's not so strong in the hearing department, like my DH. So I started running after him.... caught up, he looked at me strangely [guess he didn't get the memo about me...] and I said: "I'm Dani, looking for Sue" !!! "Ah", he said, "she's not far..."  Found Sue soaking up the sun, and Gary said: "Look what I brought you"... [along the lines of "look what the cat brought you"??? 😉]. Happy connecting all around 🌷

@Luckynana Maryann, congratulations all around 💐

@DaniDanielle Marietta, so glad you all had a good time, and your daughter and her kids experienced a "change of atmosphere".

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, sgmn said:

Thank you 😊 

It's all good now but was a bit traumatic. Baba was born on his due date, text book delivery, all going well until the last few minutes when he ingested some meconium into his stomach and lungs. So was floppy and not crying. Crash button was pushed and baba was whisked away for a few hours which was of course extremely scarey for them . 

He was on oxygen for 24 hours and antibiotics, but late last night they were told he can go home. 

We've had a couple of visits in hospital and got to cuddle him , very precious and perfect 🥰 

Hope to post some pics in a day or so

Congratulations on the birth of Baba.    I am sure that was very scary for all.    So happy to hear that everything is okay now and the sweet baby is able to go home.   🥰 Look forward to your pictures.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Welcome back so glad you had a great time. Now you can start making those Kraken Colada's at home.

I did try a love connection while at the sun deck and really enjoyed that too!

One disappointment with this cruise was I never found a bartender that made a good mojito (until last night, my last drink before heading to cabin for bed I had one at the lime and coconut bar right before they closed and he made a perfect mojito).

• Like 2