Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

10 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

No, I wished they did!  The ship only did an antigen test because I had no fever. Quantum back in May did the PCR test that test for Covid, info and RSV. The PCP only did the PCR that’s for Covid and influenza A and B. All you hear in the news right now is RSV though. 

I sure wish that you felt better!  This has been going on for almost an entire month.😕

I'm glad that you finally did get to see your Mom!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, George C said:

Yankees had so many great teams in my life , my all time favorite was Mickey Mantle and who didn’t love Yogi. I was born in 1949 so between then and 1964 Yankees only missed two World Series (1954, 1959) . I doubt Mickey World Series records will ever be broken he has most home runs , runs scored and rbis , Berra has the most hits. 

Mantle was one of the truly great players in my lifetime.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, George C said:

Yankees had so many great teams in my life , my all time favorite was Mickey Mantle and who didn’t love Yogi. I was born in 1949 so between then and 1964 Yankees only missed two World Series (1954, 1959) . I doubt Mickey World Series records will ever be broken he has most home runs , runs scored and rbis , Berra has the most hits. 

I was born in 1964 which coincided with their decline. It wasn't until I was 12 when they started to get good again.

Being a bit of a history dork, I used to read all about the great teams from the 1950's and before. I agree, many of those World Series records will never be broken.

• Like 2

My wife retired at 60, and took her SS at 62.  At that point, her pension was maxed out (ie it wasn’t going to get bigger by working longer). Plus, they gave her free medical insurance until she reached Medicare age.  She figured SS at 62 was best for her, because no one in her family lived much past mid 70’s. 

I am hoping she breaks that record.

• Like 11

24 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I was born in 1964 which coincided with their decline. It wasn't until I was 12 when they started to get good again.

Being a bit of a history dork, I used to read all about the great teams from the 1950's and before. I agree, many of those World Series records will never be broken.

When I was in college and a Yankees team was playing in a World Series there would always be people in the Student Center watching a game and I often joined them in watching .

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

My wife retired at 60, and took her SS at 62.  At that point, her pension was maxed out (ie it wasn’t going to get bigger by working longer). Plus, they gave her free medical insurance until she reached Medicare age.  She figured SS at 62 was best for her, because no one in her family lived much past mid 70’s. 

I am hoping she breaks that record.

I think if someone is going to retire young it makes more sense to draw SS at 62. If one continues working you can only make so much before the SS payment starts being reduced. I can't remember the income cap. After age 70 there is no longer an income cap. At least this is how I understand it.... which may not mean much.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Did you click on the little cog wheel for video settings on the you tube video.

Good thinking 🤔 I had forgotten about being able to change the quality.   She may have it on auto which being on a ship wifi may keep it low.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, George C said:

My dad took SS and 62 and lived 31 more years , all depends if you need the money , wife has a very good job so no big rush , I retired at 65 and started collecting a little over 67. Most of my friends took it at 65 or a little under . Only reason I started at 67 was we did a very expensive Mediterranean cruise , in a suite. 

The only reason I waited awhile to take SS was so Sharon would have more from SS when I pass away.  Funny thing, when SS called to verify info the lady said, you can start right now.  I said,  I will wait, I have a set annual amount I want.  SS says, but you don't get paid annually, it monthly.....  I understand that but  I want a certain amount per year..... You won't get paid once a year! ....  Ma'am let's just assume that I live for 12 months...... but sir...... Ma'am, let me just say I am satisfied with decision..... 

I am so happy a trained professional called!

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Just to add my 2 cents to the texting conversation,  I've been able to text when out of the country from my Samsung  phone while in airplane mode while connected to WiFi and WiFi calling turned off.  I used Message+ which is the texting app from Verizon which allows WiFi only texting. The Samsung Android texting app called Messages (no + sign) that came with the phone would not allow me to text in WiFi only. 

I'm not sure if you need to be a Verizon customer to use the Message+ app or if it can be downloaded. It was already preloaded on my phone.

Have you tried it while on an airplane and without buying the airplane wifi?  Sharon's iPhone let's her text but my Samsung can not. 

3 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

The 5 day CDC quarantine guideline isn't new at all, that was the policy when I had Covid on Quantum in May.  I didn't have Covid anyway.  I got sick on the October 9th sailing of Oasis and had to go to medical.  I had tested myself for Covid and they tested me too but I had to isolate in my cabin for 24 hours until I had two negative Covid tests.  I have been home since the cruise because I didn't respond to the meds they gave me on the ship and wasn't getting better.  My PCP tested me for Covid and influenza, negative for both.  Stronger meds from my PCP have me breathing better and sounding less like a seal.  

I had to stay away from my Mom to protect her, plus I just haven't felt well enough to go up to NH anyways.  She was happy to see me and I was able to get her settled.  My sister did go up a few times, we just do different things when we go there and I know my Mom gets anxious if certain things aren't done.

I am sorry I had you mixed up with someone else on this thread that got covid on a sailing on Adventure.

Glad to hear you are breathing better.

I completely understand about doing things a certain way.  We all do the best we can😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Lenny always sounds like a friendly good man with lots of experience and I always find his comments interesting.

I back your judgement because you have met Lenny and always say complimentary things about him.

Graham.

Graham, it is only what I know of him. 
I also want to wish you a very happy birthday!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think if someone is going to retire young it makes more sense to draw SS at 62. If one continues working you can only make so much before the SS payment starts being reduced. I can't remember the income cap. After age 70 there is no longer an income cap. At least this is how I understand it.... which may not mean much.

If you are under full retirement age (FRA), you can work and earn up to a certain limit, and if you are collecting SS, there is a reduction for any earnings above that amount.  Once you reach FRA, you can work and make any amount, and collect SS, and it will not be reduced.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I believe you are correct.  Doing a search I think in 2022 you can make $19560.  If you exceed that they reduce your social security payment $1 for every $2 you earn.  This goes away at FRA, I think.  

JC

Edited by xpcdoojk
  • Like 4