Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Don't have that ability in my car. 

Are you sure that you don't have a button somewhere with the letter A surrounded by a circular arrow?

Start-stop system - Wikipedia

I thought it was standard on any car with a start/stop system.  You usually need to press it after every time that you start the car.  For the cars that I've had, you can't "permanently" turn it off.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Shouldn't there be a place on your car to Turn "off" the auto stop. There is on every car I have been in that has that feature.

Yes, there is that option.  Also if you don't press hard on the brake it will not engage. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 2:22 PM, dani negreanu said:

We're back after a night spent in a hotel near Old Jaffa, celebrating our golden wedding anniversary (and DH's b'day BTW) with a dinner with dear old friends.

After a lot of time spent on researching for the right hotel, we decided to remain "locally". The hotels I've researched in Jerusalem were in the range of 700-800$ per night, with a check in at 3PM and check out at 11AM. Or, as DH said, every breath we'll take will cost us a dollar...

Especially, we wanted an historic hotel, like the King David, where all the US presidents visiting are booked. And King David wasn't even the costliest one.

My BFF and her DH [on the right side] celebrated theirs a year and a half ago at an 5* hotel [paid for by their kids] and suggested to check the rates, even if we knew they're over the top.... and we were pleasantly surprised to find a "winter mid-week deal" for a "mere" 342$ a night [the cheapest basic room], with a check out at noon!!! Hurray !!!

Their stay included a meal at the hotel restaurant, which we decided to enjoy too. My BFF, her DH and my BFF's 3rd cousin, who was actually "responsible" for our meeting, were to join us for dinner. With the cousin I go back to my early days at the new immigrants school, and he took my under his wings.

We started the celebrations with an Eggs Benedict b'fast at our "to go to" establishment right on the Med beach. We were really blessed with wonderful weather. You can see old Jaffa in the background.

image.thumb.jpeg.f40c1e707f3415c1c7fc2ec4bf2d0f9f.jpeg

Christmas and Hanukka are still on....

image.thumb.jpeg.ae9a4b733582d2e9acd121c2615c4344.jpeg

Then, after a few mins drive, we arrived at our hotel. Pleasantly surprised that we were upgraded to their best room, with a balcony and with a sea view [I might have mentioned our golden ann. when I've booked by phone directly with the hotel...]

It is a very old neighborhood, and the building (150 years old) was completely renovated. We strolled around, DH took lots of pics, and... it was time for dinner. 

The meal itself was quite disappointing, I really can't understand all the mixing of weird ingredients one with another. Some of our dishes were quickly replaced, and the crew were very attentive to the 6 of us. We stayed over 3 hours, and the time went by quickly. At the evening end, I've told hubby that I should be disappointed and a bit sad that the meal was sub-par, but I was not, since the ambiance and dialogue between us, so old friends, was amazing.

image.thumb.jpeg.c6b2a065893a1ca9fb71e0a366b56c8f.jpeg

OTOH, the b'fast this morning [supplied by the same in-site restaurant] was excellent, and, again, we choose Eggs Benedict.

We checked out, left our trolley, and took a leisurely stroll through the Old lanes of Jaffa, enjoying the sunshine.

A suspended tree --

image.thumb.jpeg.a4ab099f713d494897b9082cbd09d9a4.jpeg

Just look at the sea....

image.thumb.jpeg.f4c8d89dec3ae0fc1168971145f2bf91.jpeg

I want to thank you again to for the good wishes on the occasion of our double celebration 🙏

@dani negreanu

Congratulations and very best wishes to you and your hubby on your Golden Anniversary!!🍾💐 

Thanks for sharing your photos of your joyful celebration with us. I hope you and your hubby continue to enjoy a lifetime of happiness and love!! 

Happy Birthday 🥳 to your hubby, too!!

❤️

Sue

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Don't have that ability in my car. 

9 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Are you sure that you don't have a button somewhere with the letter A surrounded by a circular arrow?

I thought it was standard on any car with a start/stop system.  You usually need to press it after every time that you start the car.  For the cars that I've had, you can't "permanently" turn it off.

My previous vehicle was a BMW which had this same option to turn off the auto start/stop.  Last year I switched out for a Cadillac XT5 and it has no option to turn off the start/stop. I guess it’s not offered by all manufacturers?

31 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

My Audi has this exact button. It’s the first thing I press once I’ve started the engine. Hate the start/stop feature.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Can't imagine going in and getting it in your eyes, going in the ocean is bad enough when doing that. The Dead Sea has 300 times the amount of salt in it then the ocean.

I was in my 20s and didn't give it a second thought.  Now?  Not sure I would go to the trouble.

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Today is my youngest son in laws birthday.He is 51.We are celebrating in my house tonight.

My Jack shares your son in law's birthday.  However, NOT 51. We had a wonderful lunch today with friends at our favorite Italian joint.  There was a cake, some singing and we laughed, carried on and stayed over 2 hours.  I look at him and still see that young hunk I met and fell in love with over 50 years ago.

• Like 15

58 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

My previous vehicle was a BMW which had this same option to turn off the auto start/stop.  Last year I switched out for a Cadillac XT5 and it has no option to turn off the start/stop. I guess it’s not offered by all manufacturers?

Try this 

Edited by Jimbo

25 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Awww, happy birthday Jack.  Such a sweet tribute!

Thank you!

8 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

@BonTexasNY, Bonnie, 💐 + 1

😉  הרבה מזל טוב ויום הולדת שמח לג'אק, עד מאה ועשרים שנה, עם אופציה להארכה על התנהגות טובה

Thank you! I'll show Jack your post as soon as he's off What's App with his nephew in Israel.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I was in my 20s and didn't give it a second thought.  Now?  Not sure I would go to the trouble.

My Jack shares your son in law's birthday.  However, NOT 51. We had a wonderful lunch today with friends at our favorite Italian joint.  There was a cake, some singing and we laughed, carried on and stayed over 2 hours.  I look at him and still see that young hunk I met and fell in love with over 50 years ago.

What is the name of your favorite Italian restaurant ? Mine closed a year ago , but we recently found another that isn’t bad .

not looking forward to tomorrow have dental surgery 😢😢😢

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

I am quite sure. When I bought in 2019 I used the lack of a button to disable it as a bargaining chip to get the price down. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

That soo Cute!    Happy Birthday to Jack and I wish him many more years of love and happiness🥰    He's one lucky guy!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

Happy Birthday to Jack 🥂🎉🎁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Interesting.  I doubt Andy would want to jerry-rig something though.  I’m not crazy about the auto start/stop but it’s not really a big deal.  

I have become used to it. I actually like that there is no vibration in the car while it is stopped. If I don't want the auto stop to activate I simply shift the car into low gear just before coming to a stop. Since the shifter is electronic, not linkage, it is effortless to accomplish this. Auto stop only works when the transmission is in "D". 

15 hours ago, sgmn said:

A new easy reading series/author constantly in the top five of reading lists in the UK are by Richard Osman. 

He's written three now. All set in a British retirement community. The four main characters are in their mid to late 70s and have had interesting careers and use their lifelong skills to solve old cases.  They're more human interest mysteries rather than thrillers. With lots of twists they are an enjoyable read. It's interesting how he develops the characters in each book.

He's already got a successful TV career but got the idea when visiting his mother in her retirement community and realising what interesting lives most people there had lived.

I just finished Thursday Murder Club. I could visualize those elderly "detectives" going about their murder. I loved it and have to read more by him.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Thankfully, i can turn this feature off permanently in my car. It was driving me crazy.

Regarding the Automatic shut off, from what I understand living here in the Motor City is that GM cars do not have a way to turn it off.  My husband's Jeep does and in my Volvo you can permanently disable the shutoff and I have!