Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

@Lionesss    Congratulations on quitting smoking 12 years ago.  You should be so proud of that accomplishment.  My husband and I had barely started dating when I came down with walking pneumonia.  He was a 2 pack a day smoker (an IT guy who smoked and drank endless cups of coffee).  He stopped smoking around me because I was so ill, and never started up again.   We've been married almost 34 years, and that was one of the best gifts he could have ever given me.

Edited by Gardener5b
added information
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2023 at 11:20 AM, lenquixote66 said:

I believe so .My father was an athlete a good portion of his life but never sustained any problems .However ,he had Parkinson’s as I do and he like me was prone to getting skin cancer.

What did your father do for a living, Lenny?

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I have a suspicion, because of someone who reacted to one of my posts on the Bella thread, that someone may have played Monopoly recently and lost. If my suspicion is fact, and this person is in jail, I hope someone is home to feed the DOG. Have I included enough clues?

I was thinking of him the other day and wondering where he was. 😱

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Yes, I did. Spent 5 days/ 4 nights in the Hyatt Place which is the traditional hotel room (Hyatt House has the bigger rooms with kitchen, dining area, etc for longer stays).  The rooms are modern, clean and quiet with all the usual big city hotel amenities. I had a room with 2 Queen beds with a pull out sofa since there were 4 of us and it was plenty spacious.  The staff was super friendly and efficient. Without me asking, the clerk that was checking us in gave us a "free upgrade" to a higher floor when I told her I am a light sleeper. The free breakfast buffet had plenty of hot and cold food with both healthy and unhealthy options and the staff kept bringing out fresh food right up to the very end. The hotel bar and restaurant were both good with the usual big city prices.  The only slight disappointment was the pool area. It was nice enough, on a 3rd floor patio overlooking the streets below, but it had no service.  If you want a bite to eat or drink, you need to take the elevator down to the lobby.  Not big deal as we only used the pool once to kill a few hours.

I thought the location is great and easily walkable.  Note: A 10-15 minute walk to me is "just around the corner" so take the following with a grain of salt. The Riverwalk & the nearest trolley stop were about a 5 minute walk from the hotel.   If you have time, I highly recommend taking the free trolley to the Historic Ybor City.   http://www.tecolinestreetcar.org/home.html) include a live street map showing the current location of the trolleys and arrival times.

Also a 5 minute walk are 2 restaurants where we ate: A sports bar called Hatticks  (https://hattrickstavern.com/)  and a British Pub called Yeomans (https://yeomanstopgolfswingsuite.com/tampa/) . The closest Trolley stop to the hotel is actually right across the street from Hattricks.

As I mentioned, the Riverwalk is about 5 or so minutes from the hotel. It looks closer on the map but you have to walk around a large building or two to get to the access point. It's a pleasant way to spend an evening. We grabbed a drink at The Sail which is a large, open air plaza, then continued our way to eat dinner at Jacksons (https://www.jacksonsbistro.com/) . Probably a 20 minute walk from the hotel but took us longer because of the aforementioned drinks and talking with strangers we met. After dinner, a 15 minute walk took us to Sparksmans Wharf  (https://sparkmanwharf.com/) for some live outdoor music and after dinner drinks at the beer garden.  At this point, we are about a 25 minute walk back to the Hyatt but we opted for an Uber instead.

I would 100% stay there again and highly recommend it, especially if the price is right.  Oh, I almost forgot the view from our room. I did have to zoom in a bit but it's the unmistakable whale-tail of Carnival.

Ship.thumb.jpg.6a36bb6cc0a4c329da1c1e913be85c4d.jpg

Wow, thank you, so much great info. Great to 'speak' to someone who actually stayed there.  Gary and I are walkers too so the Riverwalk sounds lovely. Thanks again 

Sue

• Like 2

13 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Rod Stewarts Every picture tells a story in 1971 was one of the first albums I bought.

The concert is open air at 

Durham international cricket ground.

Great musical taste Graham 👌 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I would have to find a record player first...............do they still make record players? None in our house.............but we do have a stack of albums here that came with my Wife......🤣

I was to busy playing sports when I was younger, never got into the music thing........

I bought hubby one for his birthday last year. Old fashioned type in a small cabinet. He still has a big collection of records. When his dad was stationed in Germany with the Canadian Forces, he was an older teenager and use to volunteer in the base radio station. He had a wide taste in music from big band, swing, pop and rock .

It's a bit redundant with Spotify and Google Home but he occasionally uses it.

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, mo&fran said:

When I was on my last cruise, I guess about a month ago, I noticed a lump on the side of my neck. Got home, went to my PCP, got a CT scan. Sent the result to my oncologist, next a ENT Dr, next to the hospital for a biopsy.

Result, I have throat cancer. It has been many years (like 20) since I smoked, so we really not sure what caused it.

Just got off the phone with the oncologist, the treatment is to zap it with radiation, then 6 weeks of low level chemo.

Oncologist said there should be minimal side effects from the treatment,  it is very treatable.

So sorry to hear about your diagnosis

Thank goodness you had it looked at quickly and it is treatable. Wishing you all the best in the coming weeks with your treatment 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I have a suspicion, because of someone who reacted to one of my posts on the Bella thread, that someone may have played Monopoly recently and lost. If my suspicion is fact, and this person is in jail, I hope someone is home to feed the DOG. Have I included enough clues?

Embarrassed to admit that it took longer that it should to work this out.  I was doing a mental stocktake in my head of who had dogs in this group…Thinking it’s not Greg, it’s not Sue, it’s not… and I then I started  picturing everyone’s beautiful cats and finally i returned back to the clue -  DOG, as in one very special dog,  and I went 🤦‍♀️

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Embarrassed to admit that it took longer that it should to work this out.  I was doing a mental stocktake in my head of who had dogs in this group…Thinking it’s not Greg, it’s not Sue, it’s not… and I then I started  picturing everyone’s beautiful cats and finally i returned back to the clue -  DOG, as in one very special dog,  and I went 🤦‍♀️

👍

@mo&fran  so thankful for you that you took action quickly and that you will tolerate the procedures well and have a full recovery!

@DaniDanielle  Wish we could all hug your daughter and her family in peace and comfort!

Yesterday was the worst day of smoke here in SE Michigan.  Today is not much better but they are saying by the weekend we should be done with it!  I can't imagine how it bad it is for those Canadians who actually live close to the fires.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, ValerieJo said:

FYI - If anyone is looking to book flights on Southwest.  They opened their bookings this morning through March 6, 2024.

I am getting really sick of SWA newer scheduling where everything seems to go through Baltimore. Once again, non-stop flights between PVD and FLL are almost non existent and at suboptimal times.😡

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

👍

The "Mrs." will probably give us random updates for the next month. She's better behaved.😉😇

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

32 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I am getting really sick of SWA newer scheduling where everything seems to go through Baltimore. Once again, non-stop flights between PVD and FLL are almost non existent and at suboptimal times.😡

Non-stop flights on SW from PVD are becoming non existent no matter where your destination is.  It doesn’t make sense to me.  Doesn’t it cost the airline more to make those stops? There must be airport and gate usage fees, plus additional crew scheduling, baggage handling, etc.  

• Like 1

I am so far behind on this and “ The” other thread I wish someone would give a monthly summary. 
I’m like hit or miss. 

But I continue to pray for the health and safety of all. 

During nap time (Zoey) I’ll try to catch up better on the lady 25 pages. 

Take care. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, mo&fran said:

When I was on my last cruise, I guess about a month ago, I noticed a lump on the side of my neck. Got home, went to my PCP, got a CT scan. Sent the result to my oncologist, next a ENT Dr, next to the hospital for a biopsy.

Result, I have throat cancer. It has been many years (like 20) since I smoked, so we really not sure what caused it.

Just got off the phone with the oncologist, the treatment is to zap it with radiation, then 6 weeks of low level chemo.

Oncologist said there should be minimal side effects from the treatment,  it is very treatable.

Thank goodness you didn’t put off having it checked out.  Sending good wishes for your treatment and full recovery. 

13 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

@Ocean BoyThey have their bad days.  Father’s Day was especially hard for them, especially her daughter.  She told me that she and her brother couldn’t celebrate Father’s Day😢 I told her she has grandpa and her uncles and she can remember her dad.  It is hitting my daughter now,  after staying so strong she is being hit hard with the reality of it all.   We are all here for them and I thank you for asking.  It must be so difficult for your daughter to deal with not only her own grief, but the kids as well.  

Marietta it must be so difficult for your daughter to deal with her own grief as well as the kids grief. They’re lucky to have the love and support of you and Charlie.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

We mainly use Southwest when flying to and from Baltimore.  It’s one of the only places we can get a direct flight when cruising from there.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lionesss said:

A  month!!!!

WOW

Must have been good. 

Total guess on my part. Just from postings I've read from other Monopoly players, the time outs become longer as you accumulate more.  And I think the last time out was pretty long as well, at least 2 weeks if not more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Non-stop flights on SW from PVD are becoming non existent no matter where your destination is.  It doesn’t make sense to me.  Doesn’t it cost the airline more to make those stops? There must be airport and gate usage fees, plus additional crew scheduling, baggage handling, etc.  

It's the old hub-and-spoke system that all the airlines use. It's actually cheaper to fly people from several locations (the spokes) to one city (the hub) & load them onto one plane to their final destination.  In SW case, I guess Baltimore is the hub where they'll fly you and OB from Rhode Island where you'll join people from Chicago, Buffalo, St. Louis, etc to Florida. It's cheaper than having 3+ semi-full direct flights to Florida.  And when I say cheaper, I mean for the airline, not the passenger. Whenever I've had a choice of direct or connecting, the connecting flights are always more sometimes substantially more. 

The bigger, traditional airlines such as United and Delta have several hubs scattered around the country which is why it's usually easier to get direct flights with them.

I never really thought of it before but I guess I'm luck as I have 3 major and 2 regional airports within a 1 hour drive. Well, JFK is more an hour but that's because of the massive traffic jams that seem to be there at all hours of the day & night thanks to the ancient roadways surrounding the airport.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1