Zaandam and Rotterdam -- Moving Forward (April 3, 2020)

CCHelp

The journey of the Zaandam, later joined by the Rotterdam, to Fort Lauderdale has now ended.  Yesterday evening both ships were admitted to the port and have begun discharging passengers.

The existing thread which followed their journey step by step, is over 116 pages and 4000 posts long.  The original topic has been closed to new posts, but remains available for viewing:

Please add further discussion of these two ships, their passengers and crew, here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

What are the next steps?  Those with critical care needs disembarked after docking but what about those with symptoms? And those who are healthy; waiting on charter flights or have some gone yet? 

Congratulations to Cruise Critic !  You did a masterful job of managing and providing the vehicle for all of us to be a part of this amazing drama.

Thank you so much.

DFD1

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Sending good wishes to all the passengers and crews from the Zaandam and Rotterdam - those in hospital, on their way home, or waiting to leave.  You've all been through quite an ordeal, but you had lots of people praying for you and cheering you on.  At one point there were more than 80,000 viewers on the Port Everglades and Ft Lauderdale webcams - I believe it's a record that will stand for a long time.

To the family members who lost family on this cruise, I wish you peace and comfort from the higher power you believe in, as you navigate the days ahead.  You continue to be in our hearts.

Smooth Sailing!

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

The real thanks go out to all of you who realized how important this topic was and continued discussion in a thoughtful and respectful manner.  Kudos to you all.

Now, we need to move forward as a formidable "cruise voice" to support the cruise industry, especially our favorite cruise lines!

Laura

• Like 25

Local news here in FLL is now showing passengers leaving the ships, going on buses and arriving at the airport for their charter flight to Toronto. Looks like they are going to be checking everyone before boarding. Multiple people wearing PPE at the base of steps to the plane. Flight is scheduled to leave at 10.30am.

• Like 6

Just watched the segment on CNN where they said 'healthy' passengers are being sent home on chartered flights with buses direct to the plane on the tarmac so no interaction with the general public in the terminals.

Floridians who are requiring medical treatment were taken to hospitals and all other symptomatic people kept onboard for treatment along with the crew.

• Like 1

Safe travels home to all.  We were all with Zaandam in spirit and we appreciated the information that Cruise Critic members share.  Cruising is our favorite vacation and there are always stories to be told from a cruise.  We look forward to reading reviews of this cruise to get the perspective from those that lived the experience.   Thoughts and prayers go out to all of the families that lost loved ones and have family members that are ill and recovering.  Covid is presenting warehouses full of lemons and it is almost certain that many here on CC will actively be engaged in helping to make lemonade.  Looking forward to our next cruise!

• Like 13

So glad this "cruise" has ended but sadly not with a happy ending for some.

Prayers for the families of loved lost ones.  I watched the interview of a niece who was taking pictures of the ships yesterday.  Her aunt lived but sadly her uncle was one of the dead passengers.

I don't know how Dave and Lou kept the web cams from completely crashing as there were thousands of us watching (and some of us crying) when the ships finally arrived.

Hopefully everyone who is ill will get better and all will arrive home safely.

• Like 15

The Sun-Sentinel published the agreement between HAL and Broward County.  Exhibits A and B are the details including the HAL disembarkation plan.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-holland-america-cruise-broward-cruise-ship-agreement-20200402-2ah3hcdswrctniryfsomeamdga-story.html

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, capriccio said:

The Sun-Sentinel published the agreement between HAL and Broward County.  Exhibits A and B are the details including the HAL disembarkation plan.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-holland-america-cruise-broward-cruise-ship-agreement-20200402-2ah3hcdswrctniryfsomeamdga-story.html

Behind a paywall for a newspaper I have never read 😞

32 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European countries. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at options that support our full range of digital offerings to the EU market. We continue to identify technical compliance solutions that will provide all readers with our award-winning journalism.

For those interested, this is the chartered flight for Zaandam's 247-250 Canadians headed to Toronto-Pearson today. The flight is operated by Eastern Airlines as Flt. EAL 212, a wide body Boeing 767-336ER, N750KW. Departure is still scheduled at 10:30 AM EDT, a few minutes from now. Arrival in Toronto is schedule for 1:17 PM local

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/EAL212/history/20200403/1430Z/KFLL/CYYZ

N705KW Eastern Airlines Boeing 767-336(ER) photographed at Miami International (MIA / KMIA) by Martin Oswald 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, capriccio said:

9 minutes ago, JVilleGal said:

Behind a paywall for a newspaper I have never read 😞

Not sure why it worked for me.  Within the article was a link to the actual document. You might want to try this one: 

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6824278-Carnival-Complete-Agreement.html#document/p1

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Captain_Morgan said:

Just watched the segment on CNN where they said 'healthy' passengers are being sent home on chartered flights with buses direct to the plane on the tarmac so no interaction with the general public in the terminals.

Floridians who are requiring medical treatment were taken to hospitals and all other symptomatic people kept onboard for treatment along with the crew.

I thought all people needing hospitalization were being sent to hospitals while those who have mild or moderate were staying on the ship. maybe they meant Floridians who were mild to moderate were allowed to see their own medical practitioners not just those needing hospitalization. After all it is highly unlikely that all 14 needing critical care yesterday are Florida residents and i suspect at least one is crew. Nor is it likely that every sick Floridian needs to be hospitalized  they may want to have at least a televisit with their regular doctor. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

What are the next steps?  Those with critical care needs disembarked after docking but what about those with symptoms? And those who are healthy; waiting on charter flights or have some gone yet? 

I guess the question is whether the symptomatic Zaandam passengers will remain on that ship until they recover or will be transferred to another ship.  Secondly, will the ship simply be anchored somewhere beyond the territorial waters?  Most likely. 

We are so elated that the two ships were finally admitted.  Kudos to go so many people - the captain of both ships, the staff, officers and crew; to HAL for coming up with a fair, reasonable and safe plan; to CC's moderators who did a tremendous job in controlling a 4,000 post threat.  Thank you, all!

• Like 7

1 minute ago, cdwise said:

I thought all people needing hospitalization were being sent to hospitals while those who have mild or moderate were staying on the ship. maybe they meant Floridians who were mild to moderate were allowed to see their own medical practitioners not just those needing hospitalization. After all it is highly unlikely that all 14 needing critical care yesterday are Florida residents and i suspect at least one is crew. Nor is it likely that every sick Floridian needs to be hospitalized  they may want to have at least a televisit with their regular doctor. 

All 4 of those very ill people (13 passengers/1 crew) are now in the hospital.  It didn't matter where they were from; they are being treated in 2 local hospitals.

Linda R.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

For those interested, this is the chartered flight for Zaandam's 247-250 Canadians headed to Toronto-Pearson today. The flight is operated by Eastern Airlines as Flt. EAL 212, a wide body Boeing 767-336ER, N750KW. Departure is still scheduled at 10:30 AM EDT, a few minutes from now. Arrival in Toronto is schedule for 1:17 PM local

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/EAL212/history/20200403/1430Z/KFLL/CYYZ

N705KW Eastern Airlines Boeing 767-336(ER) photographed at Miami International (MIA / KMIA) by Martin Oswald 

Must be running late since it's 11:44AM EDT and she still does not appear to have left.  My brother spent most of his working life with the original Eastern Airlines.

Roy

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Must be running late since it's 11:44AM EDT and she still does not appear to have left.  My brother spent most of his working life with the original Eastern Airlines.

Roy

They just received takeoff clearance from the Tower so they'll be on their way shortly

• Like 5

That is a very detailed plan in terms of getting folks out of Florida. 

It is not nearly so clear as to what happens to folks once they arrive at the airport where the charter flights land. I hope the passengers continue to wear the masks they are being provided.

• Like 1