How long will you wait?

Toad

Agree with everyone that says they are willing to wait for an effective vaccine to be developed.  We will definitely get one as soon as available and would only go on cruise if the cruise line required evidence of vaccination for all guests prior to boarding.  There are just too many people out there who would not get the vaccine for a variety of reasons (maybe some would even bring their own bottle of Hydoxychloroquine 😉).  If the cruise line did not require proof of vaccination you could end up on a ship with 50% of the passengers still not immune to the virus and, even though you were immune and safe, end up on a ship just floating in the middle of the ocean going nowhere for a few days or weeks.  I would hate to be quarantined to my room, totally safe and healthy, because of some idiots who refused to get the vaccine.

• Like 6

How long is a piece of string??

We will wait until we feel that it is safe.  I suspect that it will quite some time-many months at least.    I do not think that we are different that anyone else.  Not about to put our health at risk simply to to board a cruise ship.

Edited by iancal

We chose FCC instead of a refund. Obviously we are hoping to cruise again. We have until 12-31-21 to choose a refund or book. We are in no hurry to book. The vaccination is important to us, also. We usually cruise about once a year so, while we would like to go we are not desperate for or planning our next one. I haven’t seen that on this thread so much but, it is definitely there in many people’s posts on other threads. We will be satisfied to just sit back and relax and see what happens. We are more excited about seeing our family since they all live in other states. Right now there are just way more important things than cruising or worrying about cruising for us. 

I cancelled our July 2020 Baltic cruise (before final payment) and re booked it for late August 2021. I'm crossing my fingers that there will be a vaccine by that time.  Meanwhile if things progress more quickly we might pick up a North American cruise on a last minute basis. Hopefully there will be a cruise industry remaining.

At the moment we have a FCC. The requirements are that we book by Dec. 31, 2020 for a cruise in 2021.

Hopefully, the Dec. 31st date will be extended. If not, then we can foresee thousands of bookings being cancelled, then re booked and cancelled again and again. 

It would be wonderful to look forward to a cruise, but the reality is, it may be a very long ways off. 

Edited by bajakiter
misspelling

Have cruise booked for South America in November 2020.  As many others have said, we will also wait for a vaccine.  However even then how effective will the vaccine be?  Even with the flu shot this year the vaccine is only <50% effective.

Next spring at the earliest and only if there's a vaccine.

I would like to see the lines institute some changes especially in the buffet areas, insist passengers use hand sanitizer or soap and HOT water before entering the buffet. Do away with self serve in the buffet, HAL Is pretty good at this but not with everything in the buffet.

I know this would never happen but it should, when a ship reaches it's disembarkation port I'd like to see the ship sail the following day with the crew doing a cleaning that would meet Naval Inspections. There is no way that the ship is being cleaned the way it should be when the last passengers are off the ship at 10am and they start boarding the new passengers at 1130 am. We check out our cabin every time we cruise and can't tell what we have found in drawers and under the bed. The added time would hopefully rectify things.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

I know this would never happen but it should, when a ship reaches it's disembarkation port I'd like to see the ship sail the following day with the crew doing a cleaning that would meet Naval Inspections. There is no way that the ship is being cleaned the way it should be when the last passengers are off the ship at 10am and they start boarding the new passengers at 1130 am. We check out our cabin every time we cruise and can't tell what we have found in drawers and under the bed. The added time would hopefully rectify things.

Even before this I wanted a day between for cleaning.  Maybe that is something I should have been adding to my reviews all these years.  I have always spent a least an hour cleaning my cabin when I first arrive just to make sure it is sanitary. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Even before this I wanted a day between for cleaning.  Maybe that is something I should have been adding to my reviews all these years.  I have always spent a least an hour cleaning my cabin when I first arrive just to make sure it is sanitary. 

Me too.  I Lysol wipes everything in our cabins.  We wash and sanitize our hands often.  Still didn't stop us from getting sick on each and every cruise we've been on for the last several years!  More sanitizing of public areas is required and the cabin stewards need less cabins to clean to be able to accomplish this.

• Like 1

I fully agree with most of the responses written here!  I am currently engaging in Telehealth with most of my patients whenever possible.  When I go out I always wear a mask, have been making gallons of hand sanitizer,  and race around the grocery store when it is necessary to go, which isn’t all that often.  Both Dh and I are having cruise withdrawal but I really think it is wise to wait.  It could easily be until June 2021 before there is a vaccine so we may have to make alternative plans.  Unfortunately, we always love visiting parts of Canada but that too is currently out.... 😞

We always sanitize the cabin before we unpack, all the way down to the toilet. I am not in favor of over-vaccinating and do not get a flu shot. My husband has had allergic reactions to flu shots and even the shot didn’t prevent my mom from getting the flu one year. We are anxiously waiting for our May 2020 11 night to be cancelled this week and are ready to rebook for November 2020. I’m all about staying safe but I also love living life. 

22 hours ago, RuthC said:

I'm booked on an itinerary in 8/21 that I have waited years to see offered, and am hoping there will be a vaccine by then. Cutting it close on timing, but there is a chance there will be one by then. 
I'm not sure I want to cruise until there's a reliable vaccine. 

Ruth, we are always looking for itineraries or ports we have not seen   What itinerary  and ship are you booked on in 8/21?  We might be interested too if there is a reliable vaccine by rhen. 

2 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Ruth, we are always looking for itineraries or ports we have not seen   What itinerary  and ship are you booked on in 8/21?  We might be interested too if there is a reliable vaccine by rhen. 

It's the Rotterdam, round trip out of Boston that goes to Greenland, with stops in Atlantic Canada. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

You will enjoy Greenland.  The scenery is spectacular.

Thanks. Actually, I've been to Greenland a few times. That's why I'm so excited about going back! 

• Like 1

To those who choose to wait to cruise until there is an effective vaccine, will you take flights without a vaccine ?

If yes, will you take only short domestic flights,  or will you also take long haul/international flights ?

Edited by Boatdrill

On 4/12/2020 at 10:52 PM, RuthC said:

I'm booked on an itinerary in 8/21 that I have waited years to see offered, and am hoping there will be a vaccine by then. Cutting it close on timing, but there is a chance there will be one by then. 
I'm not sure I want to cruise until there's a reliable vaccine. 

Ruth, what cruise is this you've waited years to see offered???

3 hours ago, RuthC said:

It's the Rotterdam, round trip out of Boston that goes to Greenland, with stops in Atlantic Canada. 

Ignore my other post Ruth.  I'm also looking at this cruise even though I've been to Greenland twice before and most of the other Canadian ports.  I just need a cruise without long flights.  Are you doing the August 12th or 29th one.

1 hour ago, Boatdrill said:

To those who choose to wait to cruise until there is an effective vaccine, will you take flights without a vaccine ?

I won't be cruising, flying, travelling by bus/train or going to any large events until there's a vaccine or effective treatment.

I do believe a vaccine will be possible, but I doubt we'll see it this year.

Here's a good "layman" explanation of why:  https://www.city-journal.org/coronavirus-vaccine