🤔What's the fate of the 2020 Fall TA schedule?🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

Without Spain and Italy, there is no Med cruising

makes me soooo sad.... I just wish Royal would level with us I know bunches of you here are like us with two cruise fares tied up with these b2b...

Trying to hold out hope but not looking great.

37 minutes ago, bulldogmommy said:

makes me soooo sad.... I just wish Royal would level with us I know bunches of you here are like us with two cruise fares tied up with these b2b...

Trying to hold out hope but not looking great.

I would just appreciate final information before final payment, but I know that disrupts the current business model. 

Cash is 👑

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

Well that’s depressing😞

Just to put things into perspective Marca.com is a Spanish sports (mainly football) paper. Whilst I obviously don't know - and nor do any of us- what's going to happen, I wont be taking a minor sports publication as my primary news source as to what will happen in Spain 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bobal said:

Just to put things into perspective Marca.com is a Spanish sports (mainly football) paper. Whilst I obviously don't know - and nor do any of us- what's going to happen, I wont be taking a minor sports publication as my primary news source as to what will happen in Spain 

Don't disagree. Plus there is absolutely zero, zip, zilch that I can do anyway. I'm just sitting tight and seeing what develops. Spain will do what they will do. I would just want whatever the answer is to be known before final payment.

Having said that, the message, however suspect, is still depressing. 

mac_tlc

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Doesn’t sound good for Allure out of Barcelona. 

We cancelled our June 7th Allure 12 days ago before final payment and deposit was converted to FCC.

We still have flights and 2 night pre cruise hotel booked on Las Ramblas so will wait till closer to the time before changing and just have a 2 night break if possible but Spain is very doubtful for the rest of this year.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bobal said:

Found this on Forbes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/guymartin/2020/04/20/post-pandemic-travel-spain-the-second-most-visited-country-on-earth-weighs-a-fraught-revival-of-its-200-billion-tourism-sector-by-the-end-of-2020/?fbclid=IwAR0z54lovZfVdiZQI1VbxL0wCYirp8KXMJ6Psl2y66zzxhadL1icysxuwms#6ae092003a41

• Thanks 3

Apparently there are still folks who think the 2020 TA schedule is happening. Wow.

Doesn't look like Spain or Italy want cruise ships this year, gang. Germany just scrapped Oktoberfest, and that's a BIG deal.

The UK predicts a second virus wave,

with at least another year of social distancing: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/04/22/social-disruption-due-coronavirus-will-last-year-cmo-says-time/

Hertz this week laid off 10,000 workers in North America. The only cruise ships operating today are taking crew members to their home countries. 

• Like 1

We are booked on the westbound TA of the Odyssey next March, and I think we are going to cancel and change to the same ship, but in the Caribbean for next April. I'm not confident of a European opening, and I'd rather be stranded on a ship in the Caribbean than in Europe, where I also have to worry about flights.

4 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

People can complain all they want. Doesn't affect the virus or its death rate one bit.

Fortunately Spain has a system in place where the health and welfare of the citizens is paramount. 

Spanish labor contracts have a "Force Majeure' clause and are registered with local and national authorities. This really softens the immediate blow from this crisis. 

Wikipedia definition: A "force majeureclause (French for "superior force") is a contract provision that relieves the parties from performing their contractual obligations when certain circumstances beyond their control arise, making performance inadvisable, commercially impracticable, illegal, or impossible.

There is a mechanism in place called the ERTE (expediente de regulación temporal de empleo) which allows companies to issue temporary redundancy to its workforce as a result of the force majeure which in this case is the coronavirus crisis. The best part is that if the company survives, the employee keeps their employment and seniority and benefits. 

When an ERTE is implemented the workers do not have to file any documents as it is handled by the company. The initial time frame is 6 months and that is where this could become a problem, if the ERTEs are not extended. 

The company keeps paying the social taxes for the employee that includes their state health insurance, while the government pays a higher level of unemployment. This is 70% of salary for the tourism sector but, for instance, SEAT a Volkswagen company paid their laid off workers 80% per agreement. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Doesn't look like Spain or Italy want cruise ships this year, gang. Germany just scrapped Oktoberfest, and that's a BIG deal.

Governments dealing with a major crisis never tell you everything directly, but messaging is clear through their actions. 

When Spain cancelled 'Semana Santa', the holy week, when first issuing the state of emergency the message of just how serious this virus was very clear. 

Germany, led by a physicist, cancelling Oktoberfest is a very big deal, especially 5 months out!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MADflyer said:

Germany, led by a physicist, cancelling Oktoberfest is a very big deal, especially 5 months out!  

That's probably just the big official gatherings - I'm sure there'll plenty of folks getting together in small groups to drink beer.

22 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

That's probably just the big official gatherings - I'm sure there'll plenty of folks getting together in small groups to drink beer.

Well, it is known as the biggest 'folkfest' in the world with over 2 million annual foreign visitors. That would be about 10% of the passengers that sail globally on all cruise lines annually. 

The cancellation was actually done by Bavaria and the Social Democratic Mayor of Munich,  but they are all working off the same plan for Germany as a whole. 

On 4/17/2020 at 9:08 AM, sellwingri said:

We’re booked on Explorer from Rome in October and have 5 private tours booked; a couple are paid for with deposits on others.  Just in case it gets canceled, we booked refundable deposit B2B cruises on Princess in Sept 2021.  Our biggest issue is that we booked AirCanada to and from Rome and their current policy is that if you have to cancel, you have to  use your fare by mid-April, 2021.  We live in the Chicago area and never fly on AirCanada except to Europe.  Anyone have experience with them?  Are they flexible?  I really can’t afford to lose the $1700 pp airfare.

If the cruise is cancelled and you bought your flights on a credit card that covers you for travel you can probably get trip cancellation or trip interruption refund. No need to deal with airline. 
Worst case scenario is losing a few hundred dollars on flight cancellation. We are in the same position as you. I’ve had to go the credit card company directly in the past when a land trip in China was cancelled. Credit card company was very accommodating and refunded us after we supplied necessary proof.