🤔What's the fate of the 2020 Fall TA schedule?🤷‍♂️

11 hours ago, sellwingri said:

We’re booked on Explorer from Rome in October and have 5 private tours booked; a couple are paid for with deposits on others.  Just in case it gets canceled, we booked refundable deposit B2B cruises on Princess in Sept 2021.  Our biggest issue is that we booked AirCanada to and from Rome and their current policy is that if you have to cancel, you have to  use your fare by mid-April, 2021.  We live in the Chicago area and never fly on AirCanada except to Europe.  Anyone have experience with them?  Are they flexible?  I really can’t afford to lose the $1700 pp airfare.

We had to cancel an air canada flight for a Celebrity Alaskan cruise in June.  We booked via Flights by celebrity.   Even though the cruise was cancelled and previous cancelled cruises for their que back regardless if refunded or not, we could not get ours back.

Celebrity stated that while our voucher is only good from one year from When we booked our flights they would extend that requirement if we called Air Canada. I have not tried but we will see.

11 hours ago, sellwingri said:

We’re booked on Explorer from Rome in October and have 5 private tours booked; a couple are paid for with deposits on others.  Just in case it gets canceled, we booked refundable deposit B2B cruises on Princess in Sept 2021.  Our biggest issue is that we booked AirCanada to and from Rome and their current policy is that if you have to cancel, you have to  use your fare by mid-April, 2021.  We live in the Chicago area and never fly on AirCanada except to Europe.  Anyone have experience with them?  Are they flexible?  I really can’t afford to lose the $1700 pp airfare.

Hmmm... I don’t know if things have changed since March 24 but I’ll tell you my experience.  We had tickets to Zurich for late May and tickets to Milan for mid September.  Through the Air Canada website (I logged into my account and went to Manage My Bookings) I was able to cancel both of those itineraries.  It cost me 150 CAD for each ticket (so, 600 CAD for my wife and I) and I got the remainder charged back to my Visa card within a week.  All told, about 93% of my initial outlay for the original tickets and I was quite satisfied to leave it at that.

2 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Now even this thread is starting to depress me... so I won’t have my November cruise..... according to browsing of the internet.

jc.  

What an effing mess.

I'm thinking that one might happen, but maybe end in FL. Anthem has to go over for inspections. They might mothball it in Spain though. 

Edited by John&LaLa

2 hours ago, rimmit said:

We had to cancel an air canada flight for a Celebrity Alaskan cruise in June.  We booked via Flights by celebrity.   Even though the cruise was cancelled and previous cancelled cruises for their que back regardless if refunded or not, we could not get ours back.

Celebrity stated that while our voucher is only good from one year from When we booked our flights they would extend that requirement if we called Air Canada. I have not tried but we will see.

It's most likely because you had non-refundable air booked with Flights by Celebrity. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

13 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

It's most likely because you had non-refundable air booked with Flights by Celebrity. 

Yes, but previous cancelled cruises got the air refunded regardless if refundable or non refundable.  It was the our round of cancellations that they changed that policy.  Up until then they had refunded any flight booked as long as it was booked with flights by celebrity.  It was a very annoying change.  And very costly.

Celebrity also stated that now you had to deal with the airlines directly and X had nothing to do with your airfare booking despite then being the ones to book it.  As you know this is against long-standing airline policy of the TA being the only people able to modify a reservation.  Sure enough I called AC and the booted me back to X and X had to be the ones to call.  Just an all out cluster$!@& by X in the whole matter and inconsistent with how they managed previous cancellations.

Edited by rimmit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rimmit said:

Yes, but previous cancelled cruises got the air refunded regardless if refundable or non refundable.  It was the our round of cancellations that they changed that policy.  Up until then they had refunded any flight booked as long as it was booked with flights by celebrity.  It was a very annoying change.  And very costly.

Was it a total policy change or was it because it was an Air Canada flight.  Canadian Airlines are not issuing any refunds. Travel vouchers only. 

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Was it a total policy change or was it because it was an Air Canada flight.  Canadian Airlines are not issuing any refunds. Travel vouchers only. 

Total policy change.  Feel free to read about it on X homepage.  There have been multiple threads posted about it in many X roll calls and X forum.

Also read my above edited post regarding the further mix up regarding their policy change in who deals with the air.  

some have had luck getting airline refunds by escalating and emailing LLP.

Edited by rimmit

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Thanks, hadn’t heard about that. 

It happened with the round of cancellations that included Alaskan cruises, so the previous round, not the current.

Before Then as long as you had booked with flights by X you were safe if they cancelled the cruise.  I am now stuck with travel vouchers with AC who I never use unless flying to Asia or Europe....  which is not happening before my voucher expires in Nov.  although per X if I call AC they will extend if we call before then...   I am not holding my breath.

How about this for a worst case scenario

There are no Med cruises this summer/fall

70+ letter becomes the norm

Allure gets her pod fixed and her inspections sometime this summer, then mothballed in Cadiz or off the coast. Maybe gets amped in spring 21. Maybe

Jewel eventually heads to Amsterdam or Copenhagen to do the lucrative northern crossing, but with limited stops and ends up in FL

Anthem heads over to Cadiz for her inspections, no passengers, then heads back to FL for the winter.

Maybe pick up passengers in England for the trip home. Depends how accommodating England is. Maybe she can fill in for Serenades northern trip instead of Jewel. While in FL, maybe do Bermuda out of PC

Explorer doesn't get amped but goes to Freeport for her inspections if needed.

Pacific fleet gets mothballed over there

Big FL ships do a whole lot of Perfect Day type cruises to generate some cash 

Everything smaller than Voyager class gets mothballed

Liberty stays in Galveston doing Gulf of Mexico cruises.

Adventure supplements her

Oasis does not go to NJ

Just a wild guess, but here's why

Europe appears to be shutting down summer, especially to foreign visitors

Available port calls in the Caribbean may be limited, if any, so the ships need bells and whistles

Bigger ships are a bigger draw for most of the available passengers

70+ crowd may be a hard sell for now, especially with that letter requirement

There will be a pent up demand for some folks, but not enough to fill all the ships, some have to be parked long term

The western Caribbean ports may be more accommodating for cruise ships

NJ/NY will likely not allow cruising for a while. Same for Boston, Baltimore, and Canada.

Lots of political pressure in FL to open cruise ports

Well, that's my crazy speculation for the night. 

I would actually be fine with that. I would like to know that the Allure sailings in the Med and the TA are definitively cancelled, so we could move on to other things and future travel plans. I could submit my claims without compulsively reading Cruise Critic for a couple of hours a day and trying to figure out what we are going to do that results in the least financial loss....:classic_biggrin::classic_tongue::classic_smile:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Coralc said:

I would actually be fine with that. I would like to know that the Allure sailings in the Med and the TA are definitively cancelled, so we could move on to other things and future travel plans. I could submit my claims without compulsively reading Cruise Critic for a couple of hours a day and trying to figure out what we are going to do that results in the least financial loss....:classic_biggrin::classic_tongue::classic_smile:

I wish you luck.

If you cancel early, shouldn't you get your deposits back as FCC?

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2020 at 8:11 PM, John&LaLa said:

You're doomed. Took us about 6 months, closest we ever came to divorce in 34 years.

—-

You should try the 8.000 piece Degano “world history 2000 years” jigsaw.... 😇 Took DH and me about a year, fortunately he worked a job where he was away 4 days a week, or it might have ended badly...

https://www.jigsaw-wiki.com/wiki/8000_2000_Years

“How about this for a worst case scenario”

If they extended the 14 day quarantine for out of country travellers until the end of December , that some countries have , like Canada 

add an extra two weeks at start and finish of cruise would be a no go 

1 hour ago, Airbalancer said:

If they extended the 14 day quarantine for out of country travelers until the end of December , that some countries have , like Canada      add an extra two weeks at start and finish of cruise would be a no go 

Still booked on Oct Med and TA for Allure.   Any 14 day quarantine front or back would be a deal killer.  I hope the decision to cancel ir not will be made for us before forced at final payment.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Airbalancer said:

If they extended the 14 day quarantine for out of country travellers until the end of December , that some countries have , like Canada 

add an extra two weeks at start and finish of cruise would be a no go 

Not if you are local😉