🤔What's the fate of the 2020 Fall TA schedule?🤷‍♂️

Typically, this time of year is repositioning season, but this is not a typical year and all the east bound TA's are in limbo

Fortunately Allure is already there and sunning off the coast of Ireland or Wales.

This morning Vicki Freed (Senior VP of Sales at RCI) gave a pep talk to the Travel Agent community.

She was asked What's up with the upcoming European season. I believe this is was her answer.

"We do hope to be cruising in August out of Barcelona, and that's why when we announce suspensions, we are only announcing at 30 days in advance.

"Things can change rather quickly with this coronavirus, so our goal is to be cruising in Europe, but again, we all have to take it day by day."

So my question is, What ships, if any, will head east for a very short summer season?

There are currently no Royal ships in Europe with the exception of a disabled Allure. 

I think Anthem needs to go over at some time this summer for her 5 year check up.

The same thing may be true of Explorer, I'm really not 100%up to date on these things

Here is the current westbound TA list available this evening on the web site

Vision is supposed to sail from Barcelona to NJ September 7, then go up to Canada for a couple weeks before heading to PE on Oct 19

Rhapsody is supposed to sail from Barcelona to Tampa on Nov 7

Allure is supposed to sail from Barcelona to Miami on Nov 1, she is also supposed to be amped. At a minimum she needs a pod fixed and the 5 year inspection completed.

Anthem is supposed to sail from Southampton to NJ on Nov 1, pretty sure she needs to be inspected as well

Jewel is supposed to sail from Rome to Galveston on Nov 26. She's been moved before, I should have sailed her thru the Suez on this date.

Explorer is supposed to sail from Rome to Miami on Nov 6

I can't find Brilliance, she is supposed to be in Amsterdam before arriving in Boston in mid September

Personally, I kind of doubt any will head east unless they have to for inspections

Repositioning cruises for the most part, are loss leaders, why do that for a one or two month season?

For argument sake, I'm purposefully omitting the Pacific ships, since they are still over there, no need to send them back

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

.This morning Vicki Freed (Senior VP of Sales at RCI) gave a pep talk to the Travel Agent community.

She was asked What's up with the upcoming European season. I believe this is was her answer.

"We do hope to be cruising in August out of Barcelona, and that's why when we announce suspensions, we are only announcing at 30 days in advance.

"Things can change rather quickly with this coronavirus, so our goal is to be cruising in Europe, but again, we all have to take it day by day."

Believe me when I say I want our ships to be able to sail in August.  But cruising depends greatly on the ports they visit being healthy for cruises to spend a day sight seeing in them.  Is 'cleaning up' those port cities really a likelihood, is my question.

Just testing cruisers boarding a ship to see if they are healthy is just one possible issue.  Unless of course all the cruisers want to do is be on a ship to 'nowhere' and that isn't what most people want, especially in Europe or even the Caribbean.

The information coming out of the Spanish government is that they plan to have no international tourism this summer. They plan a full or partial closure of the border until September. 

Allure is awaiting orders in Europe and Jewel has been drifting in Greek waters for some time now. They could both be ready for November TA sailings. 

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com/news/international/2020/04/09/65333/spanish-government-developing-scenarios-for-this-year-tourism.html

• Like 1

Yes...but do we want to still sail on the TA? We still have some time to watch how things progress. Final payment is due in August. And what if they start sailing in August and have sick ships again? Still following the updates. Thanks for the most recent information. :classic_smile:

Edited by Coralc

I would think very few ships will make the eastern crossing unless RCI sees evidence that Europe will open up in the late Summer. Very possible any ships returning West could be empty ships.  Just my guess though, difficult to predict day to day, much less 3-6 months from now. 

Brilliance is currently in Tampa - was due to sail across to Amsterdam early May to do a Northern Europe route followed by a trip back across to Boston in September for a new England season, before repositioning back to Tampa at the end of October.

I don't imagine it will do any of the European sailings but wonder if it will recommence in September out of Boston or just wait it out in Tampa to start the winter season. We're booked on the Boston to Tampa sailing.

Edited by Bobal

We are suppose to be on the Allure TA on 11/1, with a couple days in Barcelona before that. Frankly, the cruise is not the piece I worry more about. Flight over and three days in Barcelona are, at the point, more concerning. Thankfully, did air with A2S and it’s fully refundable and not due until final payment. Payments all due in early August so there is some time to see how things play out.

Right now, I’d put it at 50/50.

mac_tlc

• Like 2

10 hours ago, singinalot said:

we’re scheduled on the Allure TA and I’m more worried about being quarantine on the ship than anything else. We’re still debating what to do and waiting for more announcements but I really hope we hear soon

Hello from our Allure January 5 sailing.

The only vacation that I have currently scheduled is the November 1 2020 Anthem TA.  I have hotels booked in London and NY City pre and post.  I have flights included upgraded economy plus seats booked and paid for to London, and used FF miles for the return flight from LaGuardia.  It is pretty hard to even think about this trip, since everything seems surreal at this point.  Can’t stand reading this forum with all of the repetitive refund, stock price, customer service, threads that are killing any positive vibe.  It seems incredible to me that people who can afford to spend money of frivolous things (like vacations and cruises) BMWing about possible loosing money they were willing to spend on frivolous things. I just find that obnoxious.  

I know, I know, I am a snarky meany.

JMHO and YMMV

jc

• Like 2

1 minute ago, xpcdoojk said:

Can’t stand reading this forum with all of the repetitive refund, stock price, customer service, threads that are killing any positive vibe.

There's your issue - you need to read those threads as entertainment and not look for any vibe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

The only vacation that I have currently scheduled is the November 1 2020 Anthem TA.  I have hotels booked in London and NY City pre and post.  I have flights included upgraded economy plus seats booked and paid for to London, and used FF miles for the return flight from LaGuardia.  It is pretty hard to even think about this trip, since everything seems surreal at this point.  Can’t stand reading this forum with all of the repetitive refund, stock price, customer service, threads that are killing any positive vibe.  It seems incredible to me that people who can afford to spend money of frivolous things (like vacations and cruises) BMWing about possible loosing money they were willing to spend on frivolous things. I just find that obnoxious.  

JMHO and YMMV

jc

Tell us what you really feel. Lol

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bobal said:

Brilliance is currently in Tampa - was due to sail across to Amsterdam early May to do a Northern Europe route followed by a trip back across to Boston in September for a new England season, before repositioning back to Tampa at the end of October.

I don't imagine it will do any of the European sailings but wonder if it will recommence in September out of Boston or just wait it out in Tampa to start the winter season. We're booked on the Boston to Tampa sailing.

We’re booked on the Brilliance TA from Amsterdam to Boston via the arctic. We booked this a year and a half ago, so it’s disappointing it will probably be cancelled. We’re waiting for the word so we can possibly get the airfare refunded.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

JMHO and YMMV

jc

Circumstances have changed for many and, for some, money that was available for "frivolous things" (your term) may now be needed for basic living. For those in that situation I understand why they are frustrated that refunds are very slow in coming. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Like 11

FWIW today I received my first marketing email from Royal since this all began. Encouraging me to use the cruise planner for the Allure TA.

Now it could just be that they are pushing out these emails to everyone with a booking, but the tone of the message was one of optimism about the cruise going forward as planned.

Still to early for anyone to know anything other than the TA has not been canceled (yet).

49 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Circumstances have changed for many and, for some, money that was available for "frivolous things" (your term) may now be needed for basic living. For those in that situation I understand why they are frustrated that refunds are very slow in coming. 

Understand.  I have lost more money this year than I paid for the house we live in.  That said, vacation money is not like money that many of us have lost in their 401K or other investments.  Somehow, I imagine that the people posting never ending posts about refunds due to they really need their money now, might have been better served investing in their 401K or other investments than booking vacations.  But hey I get it.  Pain is pain.  Posting here may be making them feel better about their problems, I don’t begrudge them, I am just saying I can’t read those posts any more.  I, personally, am done with caring.

So many more compelling / concerning/ terrifying things happening in the world right now.

jc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Milwaukee Eight said:

Haven’t seen you in a while. Hope your in good health and doing well. 

Yes, sir. DW and I are both fit and healthy.  We are both still working since we are in what are considered essential businesses. 

There is no Basketball, Hockey, F1, Indy Car, NASCAR, Baseball, Golf, or anything else to watch on tv, so I currently have a 2000 piece Ravensburger puzzle of Mad King Ludwigs Bavarian castle on our dining room table, been working on it for a week and have about 200 pieces connected.  Might finish it in time for TA.  

I have listened to a lot of old music (Genesis, Strawbs, Gentle Giant, Triumvirate, and other oldies).  This may lead to my death as Gentle Giant in particular seems to drive the DW insane.

JC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We hope we can still cruise again

Both over 70 and some health issues that need a dr's ok

Have  3 cruise to do this year, local one out of Boston, and the a B2B on Explorer.

and 3 next year. 

Had to cancel the Brilliance TA took a FFC hope not going to be a loss.

Barb

2 hours ago, singinalot said:

here here! I tried to bump an old cruise report to bring some positivity to the board and that didn’t even work 🤣🤷‍♀️

I'm seriously thinking about doing a picture review of the Serenade spring TA from last year. 

I think it was April 26. Azores, Ireland,  Le Havre, Bruges, Amsterdam,  and Copenhagen.

But I may have pitched the compasses in a recent purge to make Lala happy

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We’re booked on the Brilliance TA from Amsterdam to Boston via the arctic. We booked this a year and a half ago, so it’s disappointing it will probably be cancelled. We’re waiting for the word so we can possibly get the airfare refunded.

That's the only Atlantic repo not showing up on web site last night. 

1 hour ago, xpcdoojk said:

I currently have a 2000 piece Ravensburger puzzle of Mad King Ludwigs Bavarian castle on our dining room table, been working on it for a week and have about 200 pieces connected.  Might finish it in time for TA.  

JC

You're doomed. Took us about 6 months, closest we ever came to divorce in 34 years.

I made the mistake of building the castle, easiest part, while Laura was on a TA. She was pissed. 

When it finished I framed it as a reminder of my sin🤐

20200416_130406.thumb.jpg.18bb455b7c13397b8c6c9c78afe96c86.jpg

Good luck, keep me posted🤣🤣

• Like 5
  • Haha 2