Cruising may never be the same again.

djjoe

1 hour ago, Paulette3028 said:

Risk of getting the disease reaches ALL ages, it isn't discriminatory.  

The issue is not getting the disease. The issue is the body's response to the invasion. All age groups have the potential to do well or for complications and a poor outcome depending on the individual's circumstances. Many factors play a role in the outcome.  However being of older age is a factor that, in general, puts someone statistically in the second category with most manner of infection. You can argue the point all you want but it doesn't change the facts.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paulette3028 said:

Covid 19 knows no boundaries....neither age, nor race, nor zip code. Who struggles recovering has to do with underlying complicating health conditions and probably complicated by whether they seek medical attention early with an early diagnosis or later.  Obesity (which all ages in our society) adds to risk, as well as diabetes (which affects all ages),  circulatory disease which is affected by both items already mentioned and then you can add cardiac issues, which all 3 previously mentioned have an adverse affect on.  

Are you saying age has nothing to do with "who struggles recovering"?  You might want to check out Table 2 at this site:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Cruise lines did not suspend operations because people drank too much on their ships or because someone broke their leg on a cruise. They suspended cruises due to the COVID-19 virus. Whether you like it or not, statistics have shown older people and people with health issues are more susceptible to this virus. When cruise lines resume operations there is no doubt in my mind they are going to implement some kind of health assessment/screening of passengers. If people aren’t willing to comply with guidelines like this, than cruise lines will have the right to keep these people from boarding their ships. 

Good points.

36 minutes ago, BillieJeanKaraokeKing said:

You might feel in fine fettle in your 60s, and it's great that you are, but the fact is you're 30-40 years past a human's general physical peak, so it's just common sense that percentage wise, you're deemed more at risk.

We get older, and things don't work as well, to a greater or lesser extent, it's natural progression, innit?  When I was 25, I felt I was indestructible. Another 25 years on, there's plenty of signs that it's not really the case anymore lol

Believe me 30 years ago, I did not take as good care of this body that I have been entrusted with by G-d as I do now.  I was working full time, raising and managing  a family, DH and I were doing with our kids all the normal family things you do with growing children with little time left for 'ourselves'.  We were the average American family, and making sure we even planned for our retirement.

YES, there will be on board changes to the cruise experience.  But who will be allowed to experience those 'changes' is a topic of concern.

The virus is blind to differentiating where it will find a happy home to invade, it just wants a host home. Risk factors make recovery from the virus more problematic, but those risk factors don't act as a magnet to attract the virus to that person.

According to health experts, adults with a BMI of 30 to 39.9 are considered obese. Being obese could put you at greater risk for complications and even death from coronavirus. One reason for this is that people who are obese tend to have a number of comorbidities, ranging from diabetes, hypertension and dyslipidemia (abnormal amount of lipids) to cardiovascular disease, stroke and gallbladder disease.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported that nearly 40% of adults aged 20 and over are obese. These people are disproportionally minorities, especially Blacks. At the same time, when it comes to coronavirus, an over-representation of victims is African Americans: 33% of those hospitalized are African Americans despite Blacks making up only 13% of the US population, according to the CDC.

I don't like 'generalities' that lead to the discrimination of people.  You could easily infer from what the CDC has discovered that since hospitalized African Americans   represent 33% of the cases, yet they only make up 13% of the overall population then they are an 'at risk' population for serious health concerns if they were to contract the virus onboard.  Therefore you can extrapolate, that African Americans should be prevented from boarding.   I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT.  But here are the statistics that could be used as justification. 

The virus is color blind as it is age blind.....the family who lost their 5 year old daughter to the disease knows that first hand.

8 hours ago, Paulette3028 said:

I personally don't believe that I am a greater liability for a cruise line as a cruiser than the younger cruiser.  Cruise lines will lose revenue if the restrictions are too limiting and prevent those over 70 from cruising.  Anyone can have a note from a doctor that says when they left their office they were in terrific health and have a heart attack the next day.   

so agree.  My husband is over 70 and super healthy.  Why is he being singled out??? just not right, lots of people under 70 are WAY more prone to sickness than over 70.  Doctors note is a joke, should not be required.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

The virus is color blind as it is age blind.....the family who lost their 5 year old daughter to the disease knows that first hand.

You just don't get it do you. 

79% of the people that have died from Covid-19 were 55 or older.

57% of the people that have died from Covid-19 were 75 or older.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

This thread has become pointless

Especially since the 70+ Dr. letter was a short term, knee jerk reaction to a temporary situation.

I expect it won't be a requirement going forward, yet people continue to rage on about it.

In my opinion.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Especially since the 70+ Dr. letter was a short term, knee jerk reaction to a temporary situation.

I expect it won't be a requirement going forward, yet people continue to rage on about it.

In my opinion.

The OP didn't even make the letter part of the original premise.

But I can share some insight on a potential change.

The port manager here in Pt Canaveral said cruise lines are talking with them about more 3 and 4 day trips to get cruising back and running. He also mentioned that the private islands would be the primary destinations since they can control that better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

The issue is not getting the disease. The issue is the body's response to the invasion. All age groups have the potential to do well or for complications and a poor outcome depending on the individual's circumstances. Many factors play a role in the outcome.  However being of older age is a factor that, in general, puts someone statistically in the second category with most manner of infection. You can argue the point all you want but it doesn't change the facts.

This ^

43 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

The OP didn't even make the letter part of the original premise.

But I can share some insight on a potential change.

The port manager here in Pt Canaveral said cruise lines are talking with them about more 3 and 4 day trips to get cruising back and running. He also mentioned that the private islands would be the primary destinations since they can control that better.

Well, that leaves me out.

• Like 2

I was just reading the context of the newest video for travel agents from Royal Caribbean (it was posted on a popular social media site) and he did mention that Royal was putting together information on testing. But nothing about a doctor note for those 70 and above. 

I am not a medical professional and do not profess to be but from some basic info I have learned from my sister in law who is in charge of ICU and respirators at her county hospital is they are using hydroxycloriquine for just about every patient but some of the elderly cannot take this medicine either their EKG does not show strong enough heart or they are on other medications that do not react well with the hydroxycloriquine (maybe blood pressure medicine).   Also, for those that are diabetic and/or possibly with other health issues they have been placing them on temporary dialysis as they start to have kidney failure because of the virus.    And there are some having issues with blood clots.  Cardiac arrests and the list goes on.   We know the older we get the weaker our systems get due to age and the harder it is to recover.    Yes, there are young people dying from this virus, just nowhere near as many as those 60 or older.     

Think as if you were the owner of the business and what risks you want to take with all the souls on a ship.

52 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I agree this is the best plan to get cruises started as a "trial run"  plus I bet the other islands dont want thousands of people arriving all at once.  

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Makes sense.  Gives them time to test out any new protocols / procedures and work out the kinks in the system.  Plus, with sailing with reduced capacity - and I imagine, reduced demand - the cruise lines will be wanting to turnover the ships much quicker in order to keep the revenue flowing.

9 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Makes sense.  Gives them time to test out any new protocols / procedures and work out the kinks in the system.  Plus, with sailing with reduced capacity - and I imagine, reduced demand - the cruise lines will be wanting to turnover the ships much quicker in order to keep the revenue flowing.

Though there is the possibility that new rules will prevent same-day turnaround. Which would kill the 3/4 day cruises. 

31 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Though there is the possibility that new rules will prevent same-day turnaround. Which would kill the 3/4 day cruises. 

Was that specifically mentioned?

If so, the current 7 day product would have to be 7/5 or 6/6

On 4/19/2020 at 10:14 PM, djjoe said:

We came home a month ago from the Grandeur, having caught the last sailing before the shutdown. The month at home has given me time to speculate on the future of cruising. If and when Royal resumes , I expect to see many cost cutting measures. The free flowing daily booze  in the lounge might be gone, especially for lower tier C&A members. The balcony discounts may disappear, the shareholder benefit may be gone too. On our last cruise the Windjammer was closed at dinner time because they didn’t have crew to serve food. Maybe one less food venue could save money. I hope I’m wrong, but in our almost 100 cruises, I’ve seen many cutbacks over the years. The current crisis with zero revenue will most likely result in cost cutting measures to keep the company afloat and turn a profit again.

I suspect just the opposite. A return to excellent service throughout and for all onboard.  As for perks and amenities, I don't expect them to be reduced; if anything, increased. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

I suspect just the opposite. A return to excellent service throughout and for all onboard.  As for perks and amenities, I don't expect them to be reduced; if anything, increased. 

Yup.  Getting back cruise business in quantity will require incentives.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I agree this is the best plan to get cruises started as a "trial run"  plus I bet the other islands dont want thousands of people arriving all at once.  

Control will be the necessary ingredient to get the ball rolling.  Private islands would seem to offer the best chance to control as much as possible.  Works for me if it gets us back at sea!

• Like 1

On 4/19/2020 at 10:40 PM, fdthird said:

How much MORE will cruising cost as new requirements go in to effect?  Less passengers, more crew support, new ways of doing the same thing???

I don't expect higher prices, at first anyway.

They need to attract passengers, even at a loss at revenue. Little revenue is better than no revenue.

But what is important, is getting back passengers, small sailings at first,  to build confidence with other would be customers.
To show them it is safe, and that the ship will not get quarantined.
And that will be their marketing...to get you back, better and safer than ever.

Once that pump is primed, and the flow increases, they will slowly implement things to get the $$.

Thinking about cruising will never be the same... We all can likely remember our first cruise.  We had no experience to draw on and it was all exciting and new.  Well, this is our do over!  The world has produced all kinds of lemons.  We will have ships full of lemons.  Each of us will be helping to make lemonade.  I see a great opportunity to bring back cruising.  It will be different and we can work with RCCL and all the lines to make it great.  All the new cruisers will never know what they did not experience.  Will they know what the "missed".  We have our cruise stories to share at the bar. Now we will all make wonderful new memories.

• Like 1