After you read this, you may think twice about boarding a cruise ship or airplane so soon!

Jimbo

2 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I read that article over the weekend, and though it was interesting to read, it didn’t have any effect on my desire to cruise. 

I don't think desire to cruise is the issue.  Everyone on this site desires that otherwise they wouldn't be on here.

The real issue is there a way for the cruiselines to get it safe again to sail. There are guidelines to attain, CDC has some of them already set in place.............But the real problem is can and if the cruiselines can get to those goals.

It's really pointless for people to come on here and say I'm ready to cruise tomorrow if they sail. It's not going to happen that fast, people have to get into reality that is isn't going to happen anytime soon. It's going to be many, many months.

They either need to find treatments that work or a vaccine. Until then we just have to sit on the sidelines and wait......................

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I wouldn't after reading this and seeing the pictures, sure does not look like cruising will be starting anytime soon in 2020............I would not even give it a thought of cruising until mid 2021.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/politics/cruise-ships-coronavirus/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Not a good situation, things could go wrong mighty fast and things will be just like they were back in February 2020.

This was a very interesting read.  Although I have a high amount of mistrust with the MSM (all of them) I thought this one was pretty good.  If you can't understand that cruise lines had a hand in the spread of Covid19 you need to take the blinders off.   I'm just calling it like I see it - people from all over the world and gathering on a ship for 7 days and then everyone returning to their homes.  Of course they were a part of the spread.  Airplanes, cruise ships, resorts, subways, buses all participated in the contagion rate !  I have a hard time believing the folks that run these cruise lines didn't understand the risk even as early as January.  At the same time one would think the CDC would have put a stop to cruising immediately when things started to escalate.   

There is no bigger cheerleader for cruising than my wife and I - but we canceled our May 2020 cruise back in early Feb.  It was just a common sense decision - how could Covid19 NOT be present on ships?  I was shocked they were still setting sail in late Feb/early March.  

Can't wait to get on a ship again once we figure this thing out.  Just hope they can survive in the meantime!!

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I wouldn't after reading this and seeing the pictures, sure does not look like cruising will be starting anytime soon in 2020............I would not even give it a thought of cruising until mid 2021.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/politics/cruise-ships-coronavirus/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Not a good situation, things could go wrong mighty fast and things will be just like they were back in February 2020.

My prediction after conversing with friends who are avid cruisers like my wife and myself is a return to cruising in June 2021 or perhaps never.

Cruising is not a necessity ,health is.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, MADflyer said:

That is a great piece of investigative journalism and is probably bound for another Pulitzer prize. 

The story is not over with all of the crew infections and deaths. I think the Carnival Corp practice of crew transfers will certainly be eliminated as a result of this pandemic with Princess and Costa exceptionally hit. 

As with everything else, we will move to a 'new normal' and while cruising will not go unchanged, the rebound will come just for all other affected industries. Many of the changes that are coming will probably be for the greater good and long term sustainability of the industry. 

The governmental controls in place are probably keeping the market driven forces from making this situation even worse for the cruise industry in the long run. 

:That is a great piece of investigative journalism and is probably bound for another Pulitzer prize. "...Hope that was sarcasm.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Floater4life said:

:That is a great piece of investigative journalism and is probably bound for another Pulitzer prize. "...Hope that was sarcasm.

None at all. As a researcher, I have a great deal of respect for the art of journalism and this is a well done piece of investigative journalism and that is what it would receive a Pulitzer prize for in this case.

Pulitzer prizes are not given on the subject matter and what one might have as an opinion one way or the other about the topic at hand. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, MADflyer said:

None at all. As a researcher, I have a great deal of respect for the art of journalism and this is a well done piece of investigative journalism and that is what it would receive a Pulitzer prize for in this case.

Pulitzer prizes are not given on the subject matter and what one might have as an opinion one way or the other about the topic at hand. 

Agree

• Like 4

On 4/28/2020 at 5:07 PM, Tapi said:

Even though the article is mostly about the cruise industry, I’ll chime in concerning airplanes since you mentioned them in your title 

More importantly, fellow passengers seem to be onboard with the program, most of them wearing masks, gloves, and bringing their own sanitizing wipes which they use to clean their seats and surrounding surfaces once they settle in. Flight attendants wear masks and gloves at all times as well and conduct their service using new procedures. 

Respectfully, I encourage you to familiarize yourself with what the airlines are doing to support social distancing and healthier flying conditions. We need less opinion pieces and more facts if we are ever going to move past this pandemic. 

DW has been a flight attendant for over 30 years and is flying a full schedule still.  Much of the social distancing is more talk than reality.  Now airlines are requiring crews to wear masks but not requiring passengers to do the same.  Passengers arrive in some cities and are met with 4 day quarantines, some forced and some recommended.  Yet, the flight crews are exempt from any quarantines.  A co-worker friend of DW passed away from Covid just days after his last flight. 

Together we can manage this situation.  Please take your role in this seriously.  We do not need to hide and cower, but we still have a responsibility to be part of the solution and not part of the problem. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, zonacruiser25 said:

Please take your role in this seriously.  We do not need to hide and cower, but we still have a responsibility to be part of the solution and not part of the problem. 

I have been quarantined (by myself) for 6 weeks now and I am going to be with my "quarantined"  family for Memorial day.  I will wear a "surgical mask" and gloves and will Lysol wipes on my hour fifteen minute flight.  I will drive myself to the airport and rent a car in Norfolk.

Edited by Judyrem
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

I have been quarantined (by myself) for 6 weeks now and I am going to be with my "quarantined"  family for Memorial day.  I will wear a "surgical mask" and gloves and will Lysol wipes on my hour fifteen minute flight.  I will drive myself to the airport and rent a car in Norfolk.

COVID19 is not contact infectious. Eyes, nose, mouth. If you touch these areas with gloves, you’re just as likely to transfer as without gloves. Wash hands. 

• Like 3

Thank you for posting this article. It’s upsetting to see the lengths in which these cruise lines went to try to protect their bottom lines over the lives of the passengers. 

This is why we need governments-to protect citizens from corporations who only care about their profits and will do anything to protect that. Because clearly businesses won’t do it themselves. 

I’m also sick of businesses, governments, and people saying the word “unprecedented” like that is some sort of defense against reckless behavior. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Who cares?  WaPo just ranting over something they don't understand to their readers they know are easily mislead.

To think that only cruise ships would spread any disease to the islands is absurd.  And please spare the 'science denier' tropes.  It's WaPos misinterpretation that's at fault.  Huh?  Yeah, find me a cruise ship that visited Andorra.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

COVID19 is not contact infectious. Eyes, nose, mouth. If you touch these areas with gloves, you’re just as likely to transfer as without gloves. Wash hands. 

I do!😊

I also am going to wear glasses that are non corrective  or clear and they are big too!  Bug eyed big!😉

Edited by Judyrem
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, zonacruiser25 said:
  • DW has been a flight attendant for over 30 years and is flying a full schedule still. 
  • Much of the social distancing is more talk than reality. 
  • Now airlines are requiring crews to wear masks but not requiring passengers to do the same. 
  • Please take your role in this seriously.  
  • I became an airline pilot in 1995. Not quite 30 years like your wife, but I do have 25 years under my belt. 
  • While I do respect her opinion, I don’t agree that the list of changes are more talk than reality. It’s an extensive list. I’ve watched the implementation firsthand, and attended several company town halls as well as meetings with the CDC explaining what’s been done and why. A lot of people and a lot of exhausting hours have gone into enacting all these changes for some people to say that it’s just talk an not reality. Respectfully, it’s insulting to the people who have done the work and who are going out of their way so that your wife and I can be as safe as possible when we do go to work. There’s more to be done just like after 9/11. We don’t have all the pieces of the puzzle yet, but its admirable what has been done in a short amount of time. Sadly, in this industry it’s very common to focus one what’s NOT being done, rather than on what’s being done.
  • Airlines are starting to require passengers to wear mask as well. Mine has now made it official. Currently, while not all of them are doing it, a large percentage of passengers are already doing so, and every time that I fly, I see more an more passengers getting with the program.
  • I do take my role in this very seriously. Not only do I want to remain safe while at work, but I want to keep my family safe. Outside of going to work, I remained sheltered in place. I do agree that we need to be part of the solution, not the problem, and that includes keeping people informed with facts.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2020 at 6:45 PM, lovescats5 said:

Nope, won't stop me from our Sept. 4 cruise if it sails.  How many deaths have occurred from the flu, or drug abuse, or any other health problem.  Maybe we need to make the news media start publishing the real truth, not the truth according to them.  I get really tired of people telling me how to live my life, I know what is said about one person infecting another and the however many more but the flu does that also.  And we will never know how many deaths have come from the flu this year because all those are still blamed on Covid-19.

But the flu doesn't kill 60,000 Americans in two months.  The flu comparisons need to stop.  

• Like 12

On 4/28/2020 at 8:07 PM, Tapi said:

Even though the article is mostly about the cruise industry, I’ll chime in concerning airplanes since you mentioned them in your title 

Let me start by saying that I’ve been flying on a weekly basis throughout this pandemic. 

Good info on flying, but why have you still been flying on a weekly basis?  

Southwest has a plan inforce now :  "Southwest Promise"  Probably means less flights and longer layovers between flights for now and higher prices.

https://www.southwest.com/promise/?RR_NUMBER=0&RSD=0000&RMID=AC_Notification_Promise_20200501&RRID=93c78a1120a05b4190d7b1f291dcc3e67b337a65a7644defe9897aaa6f665b57&src=MAILNOTCVPR20200501

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Southwest has a plan inforce now :  "Southwest Promise" 

I will want the social distancing confirmed much longer than June of 2020 to begin planning future travel. 

Southwest promise states: 

We are limiting the number of people onboard each flight to provide Customers more personal space to spread out and there will be no need for the middle seat to be occupied. (Currently through June)

16 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Southwest has a plan inforce now

Interesting as we have flights on SW this October to San Juan. I found this interesting, 

"We are limiting the number of people onboard each flight to provide Customers more personal space so there will be no need for the middle seat to be occupied (currently through June)."

You beat me to it MADflyer. Great minds think alike.

Edited by Sea Dog

34 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Probably means less flights and longer layovers between flights for now and higher prices.

It may also mean higher chances of a flight being cancelled - if the flight has few enough bookings, they just cancel it - like they did for me this weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1