After you read this, you may think twice about boarding a cruise ship or airplane so soon!

Jimbo

On a recent cruise (2019)the earliest time available for MTD was 6:30.

We came to the MDR the first night at 6:20 and were promptly seated.We came a few minutes earlier every evening ,as early as 5:50 but could not get in earlier.

23 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Looks like California opened the beaches to soon, they are closing again.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/california-likely-announce-closure-states-061910695.html

Not because it was too soon, just way of controlling crowds not following Guidelines... Oh, and Im still at home 6weeks now:   SACRAMENTO, Calif. (Reuters) - California Governor Gavin Newsom on Thursday ordered beaches in Orange County in the southern part of the state to close, after crowds defied public health guidelines to throng the popular shoreline last weekend. Newsom said it was never his intention to close all of the state's parks and beaches. 

Edited by ONECRUISER

21 hours ago, Tapi said:
  • I became an airline pilot in 1995. Not quite 30 years like your wife, but I do have 25 years under my belt. 
  • While I do respect her opinion, I don’t agree that the list of changes are more talk than reality. It’s an extensive list. I’ve watched the implementation firsthand, and attended several company town halls as well as meetings with the CDC explaining what’s been done and why. A lot of people and a lot of exhausting hours have gone into enacting all these changes for some people to say that it’s just talk an not reality. Respectfully, it’s insulting to the people who have done the work and who are going out of their way so that your wife and I can be as safe as possible when we do go to work. There’s more to be done just like after 9/11. We don’t have all the pieces of the puzzle yet, but its admirable what has been done in a short amount of time. Sadly, in this industry it’s very common to focus one what’s NOT being done, rather than on what’s being done.
  • Airlines are starting to require passengers to wear mask as well. Mine has now made it official. Currently, while not all of them are doing it, a large percentage of passengers are already doing so, and every time that I fly, I see more an more passengers getting with the program.
  • I do take my role in this very seriously. Not only do I want to remain safe while at work, but I want to keep my family safe. Outside of going to work, I remained sheltered in place. I do agree that we need to be part of the solution, not the problem, and that includes keeping people informed with facts.

What we all need to remember is that this virus is new to all of us and as long as there will be no Vacination we will need to learn to live with it in all situation of life including flying. Here in Europe flying is currently almost inexistent with a small number of daily flights securing a basic network however social distancing is granted given that flights have an occupancy of max 40% I assume in the US it's simmilar. Same as for your airline the airlines here are also starting to require passengers to wear masks. Our airlines here are pledging that the air in the aircraft is very clean as well due to the exchange of it occuring every few minutes which on top of it should make it almost impossible to catch a contamination on board? Therefore catching the virus in a bus, train or subway is much more likely than when traveling by plane.

What I do have to criticise on US airlines is the condition of the cabins (before COVID-19 atl east), they are much worse than in Europe and Asia. But here in general a way has to be found for the whole industry to clean their planes more often thoroughly (Deep Cleaning). However even more important, a solution has to be found even at short turnaround times which includes thorough cleaning of all lavatories and to disinfect cabins after every flights, possibly with a special smog that can be sprayed into the cabin after all passengers from the previous flight deplaned?

On 4/29/2020 at 12:45 AM, lovescats5 said:

Nope, won't stop me from our Sept. 4 cruise if it sails.  How many deaths have occurred from the flu, or drug abuse, or any other health problem.  Maybe we need to make the news media start publishing the real truth, not the truth according to them.  I get really tired of people telling me how to live my life, I know what is said about one person infecting another and the however many more but the flu does that also.  And we will never know how many deaths have come from the flu this year because all those are still blamed on Covid-19.

The annual flu (Influenza) also kills many people globaly, however it is seasonal and there is a vacination available which unfortunately to many people are not taking. For COVID-19 which is new to all of us, we don't know enough and every day we know a bit more about it. What we do know, it's not seasonal and will not just go away like a regular flu. Further, it spreads very very fast and is deadly for any perons of any age that doesn't have a healhy imune system. Since the US has a health care system not much better if at all than in a developing country and making testing very expensive, you should not be suprised if the real number of cases and deaths is significantly higher than the numbers known to us. Most or non of us had to go through a pandemic before and now the most important is to take things serious and be disciplined than only if each single one of us does so we will get over this sooner than later. Get your act together and try to be smarter than your President who really seems to be the benchmark of your counry as with your example again.

• Like 6

There is a lot of activity this week for the Lufthansa Group (Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian, SN Brussels) 

Switzerland has already agreed to bailout. Germany, Austria and Belgium still working on bailout. 

The German $11 billion bailout is set to have Germany take a 25.1% stake in the airline. 

The group states loosing $1.1 million per hour due to pandemic. 

Autumn 2021 restart at the earliest. Normal conditions not expected until 2023

Switched to requiring passenger having own face mask policy from departure terminal entrance to point of exit of arrival terminal.  They eliminated the middle seat vacant policy that was first established. (can not survive with empty seats stated)

Pilots offer 45% reduction in salary for 2 years to keep job security. 

I would still cruise, even seeing this video.

I could just as easily be hit by a car crossing the street. I just place it all in God's hands and go about my life and don't worry; life is short enough as it is.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, franncos said:

Why would anyone book a  cruise without knowing all the new details,such as dining, entertainment and so may other details.

People book new ships, like Odyssey, based on previous general product experience - details might not matter so much.

Edited by Biker19

We were on that Eclipse sailing.  Actually the number is over 200 infected just from the Eclipse with at least 3 deaths. My wife & myself were 2 of the sick. We will cruise again when they let us. We got sick because Celebrity lied to us & did not take any precautions to protect us. Their only concern was their bottom line & to get us off the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 5:56 PM, edspec said:

Doesn't change my mind, I will sail asap.

There is no guarantee for anyone....only guarantee in life is to pay taxes, then die.....I will cruise as soon as they will let me!!

• Like 2

Was supposed to be on a flight, AA, Philadelphia to Tampa to take a 5/2/20 Cruise.  As far as I know the flight went off as scheduled.  The day before they were selling tickets for $48 each.  Wonder how many actually took the flight.

17 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

How do you know this?

Very easy, from experience on airlines such as United or American in the US compared to Lufthansa group airlines or British Airways in Europe for instance.

4 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

So it’s really only your opinion. 

It's my observation, but if you are considering a lavatory on a US domestic and somethimes even international flight even before departure as clean occasionally also the seatpocket, tray table and floor clean then you probably count to those that are not washing their hands when returning from the bathroom or heading to Windjammer.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LXA350 said:

Very easy, from experience on airlines such as United or American in the US compared to Lufthansa group airlines or British Airways in Europe for instance.

Only Lufthansa? Try KLM or better yet

Singapore Air and Emirates.

As for US on EU airlines, i’ll take SouthWest over RyanAir, Delta on Air France any day.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 9:15 AM, LMaxwell said:

People on this forum aren't going to read the article; mostly.  They are not seeking fact based info and how dare you call their baby ugly. 

You win the internet!  Needed that laugh today, well done!  😂