After you read this, you may think twice about boarding a cruise ship or airplane so soon!

Jimbo

I wouldn't after reading this and seeing the pictures, sure does not look like cruising will be starting anytime soon in 2020............I would not even give it a thought of cruising until mid 2021.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/politics/cruise-ships-coronavirus/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Not a good situation, things could go wrong mighty fast and things will be just like they were back in February 2020.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

That is a great piece of investigative journalism and is probably bound for another Pulitzer prize. 

The story is not over with all of the crew infections and deaths. I think the Carnival Corp practice of crew transfers will certainly be eliminated as a result of this pandemic with Princess and Costa exceptionally hit. 

As with everything else, we will move to a 'new normal' and while cruising will not go unchanged, the rebound will come just for all other affected industries. Many of the changes that are coming will probably be for the greater good and long term sustainability of the industry. 

The governmental controls in place are probably keeping the market driven forces from making this situation even worse for the cruise industry in the long run. 

• Like 6

Nope, won't stop me from our Sept. 4 cruise if it sails.  How many deaths have occurred from the flu, or drug abuse, or any other health problem.  Maybe we need to make the news media start publishing the real truth, not the truth according to them.  I get really tired of people telling me how to live my life, I know what is said about one person infecting another and the however many more but the flu does that also.  And we will never know how many deaths have come from the flu this year because all those are still blamed on Covid-19.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

same here.  I don't believe anything that is in the Washington Post. 

Pictures of how it was onboard the ship.. you think all the pictures were all staged ? 

Same thing could happen again 24- 48 hours after sail-away. Would you like to be in the same position as those passengers were?

To soon to get on a cruise ship. Cause you can be sure you will be quarantined right away if they even have a hint it's a virus this time...........There will be no delays in their actions.

I want to cruise just as much as the next person but it's not worth it if it ends up like that.

• Like 7

Thanks for sharing the article but I have to admit I'm getting a little tired of all the finger pointing at the cruise industry. Where's the exposé on the airline industry and how they helped spread the disease globally before everyone really knew what we were facing? Very easy to sit here a few months into this thing and say travellers and businesses should have acted differently. 

We could also say that we in North America should have seen it coming once we saw that it was gaining ground in Europe. And yet, even in early March, a week before the start of school break for students, our premier in Ontario was saying "go and enjoy your vacation." Less than a week later, it was all about social isolation, school being cancelled and travellers needing to self-isolate for two weeks once back from a trip. Prime Minister Trudeau was telling Canadians abroad that it was time to come home while they still could.

We were due to cruise on the Anthem for March break. We decided to cancel on Tuesday (03/10) after the Canadian Medical Officer said in a news conference that Canadians needed to avoid cruise ships (with four children, we were concerned: What if we couldn't get back through the border after the cruise? If we did get into the country, what if we were directed to quarantine at a military base instead of being able to go home?) Thursday afternoon (03/12) as the kids were getting home from their last day of school before the break came the news that school was cancelled for the rest of March (extended to mid-May and now to start of June). Friday (03/13) Royal themselves suspended operations. That's literally how quickly things developed. 

Again, very easy now to look back and say "How come the cruise lines didn't do more in mid-February?" We can ask the same of our governments. How come we didn't close borders sooner? How come we didn't recommend social distancing sooner? etc, etc. 

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Edited by JillK
  • Like 19

16 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Not gonna pay to read the Washington Post.

I agree and not just them, most of these articles are written to get everyone riled up and pointing fingers as much as they can. Our cruise is next April, when that time comes we'll decide how to proceed. To those who think the article is good journalism, you are perfectly entitled to think that. :classic_smile:

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Pictures of how it was onboard the ship.. you think all the pictures were all staged ? 

Same thing could happen again 24- 48 hours after sail-away. Would you like to be in the same position as those passengers were?

To soon to get on a cruise ship. Cause you can be sure you will be quarantined right away if they even have a hint it's a virus this time...........There will be no delays in their actions.

I want to cruise just as much as the next person but it's not worth it if it ends up like that.

I saw this video yesterday morning and I agree with you, I want to cruise as well. 

I know nothing of the Washington Post, I just watched the video.  As I watched the video, it made me think of why the Islands might not be excited to see cruise guests. It also made me think of the hurdles the industry must clear to get to the islands and to keep a clean and safe image for the mainland. 

It’s going to be tough.  As cruisers we know that they will do their best to succeed.  I just hope the fates aren’t against them. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JillK said:

Thanks for sharing the article but I have to admit I'm getting a little tired of all the finger pointing at the cruise industry. Where's the exposé on the airline industry and how they helped spread the disease globally before everyone really knew what we were facing?

Sadly the cruise Industry gets thrown under the bus while airlines, land resorts and theme parks get the preverbial free pass. 

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Had same issue. Required subscription. 

47 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Not gonna pay to read the Washington Post.

just scroll and read it , no reason to pay

Edited by Jimbo

1 hour ago, Diver2014 said:

same here.  I don't believe anything that is in the Washington Post. 

We won’t even use that paper in the cat’s litter box. 

The Washington Post is owned by Jeff Bezos.  He’s made billions during the Covid-19 shutdown.  Can’t knock him for being a successful business person I guess.  It’s too bad he’s doesn’t do more to find a solution to the current situation.  Since he’s made billions during the Covid-19 shutdown, perhaps he prefers for it to continue so he can make another 25 bil.  

We’ll cruise again someday, hopefully in 2020.

• Like 12

Even though the article is mostly about the cruise industry, I’ll chime in concerning airplanes since you mentioned them in your title 

Let me start by saying that I’ve been flying on a weekly basis throughout this pandemic. During this time, I’ve watched how the airline industry has transformed itself rather quickly to make flying probably the healthiest it’s ever been. From education concerning how the air filtration system works, and the way that air flows and recycles inside the cabin, to deep cleaning and fogging utilizing Matrix 3 cleaners, new boarding procedures, blocked rows of seats to support social distancing, changes to catering and onboard offerings to limit contact with passengers and more, I actually feel safer flying these days than going to the local grocery store.

More importantly, fellow passengers seem to be onboard with the program, most of them wearing masks, gloves, and bringing their own sanitizing wipes which they use to clean their seats and surrounding surfaces once they settle in. Flight attendants wear masks and gloves at all times as well and conduct their service using new procedures. 

Respectfully, I encourage you to familiarize yourself with what the airlines are doing to support social distancing and healthier flying conditions. We need less opinion pieces and more facts if we are ever going to move past this pandemic. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Wont bother me, currently do 30+ niters every time I Cruise. Quarantine me, love stay on board for free. Single, Retired, Cruise SOLO, nothing but time on my hands. Been looked down now for 6weeks in a House, On a Ship in my Corner/Aft Balcony sounds much better.  Have 70 nites Booked from Nov2020-Nov2021, long as rates are down plan on adding few more Cruises...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 11