Good news for cruise lines

Disney  Shanghai opens next week.  Limited opening with first week guests limited to 24,000 per day.  Tickets went on sale this morning and a total sell out for 4 weeks gone in less than a hour.  Experts predicted no one would ever crowd a amusement park again and that Disney would stay closed until 2022,  same Experts will be wrong about cruising as 2021 bookings are ahead of 2019 bookings for this time last year.   Factoring out all the rebooking of canceled cruises over the last few months  2021 booking are still ahead of 2019.

• Like 5

Hopefully it goes well and things are monitored closely. A major outbreak tied to the amusement parks could shut them down again and delay things further. The biggest issue I see for cruise lines is how many ports will be open and welcome them back immediately.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

Yes and Disney Springs in Orlando to re-open May 20, just retail and restaurants. But it is a start!

Only 3rd party owned restaurants are opening, and they are at limited capacity.

• Like 1

Did you look at these measures?? We all know why 2021 bookings are up........I do applaud your optimism.  And to be clear I do believe that cruises will be taking place again by the end of the summer but there will be major measures in place. 

"Shanghai Disneyland says it's taking "a deliberate approach" as it reopens. It will require physical distancing and sharply reduce capacity; some crowd-oriented features, such as children's play areas and theater shows, will remain shut down.

There will be no selfies with famous Disney characters, the company says. Hand sanitizer is being widely deployed, and cleaning measures are stepped up.

Before they can enter the park, visitors will also need to prove they don't pose a coronavirus risk. That takes place both through a temperature screening and a check of their personal QR code – reflecting their "green" or "red" status on a phone-based app that is now required for travel and other activities during the pandemic."

Edited by Mapleleafforever

Theme parks are land based and have not been associated with any major Covid outbreaks thus far unlike cruise ships and nursing homes.

The only way cruise ships are sailing is if the cruise lines can find a way to nearly eliminate the threat of a mass outbreak on a cruise ship and even in the case of an outbreak, they need a way to quarantine and repatriate effectively without being a burden on any one country.

This is excellent news, but ultimately still

has no bearing on what happens with the cruise lines.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Disney  Shanghai opens next week.  Limited opening with first week guests limited to 24,000 per day.  Tickets went on sale this morning and a total sell out for 4 weeks gone in less than a hour.  Experts predicted no one would ever crowd a amusement park again and that Disney would stay closed until 2022,  same Experts will be wrong about cruising as 2021 bookings are ahead of 2019 bookings for this time last year.   Factoring out all the rebooking of canceled cruises over the last few months  2021 booking are still ahead of 2019.

24,000 is nothing though. Thats not near a typical day so to say what you said isnt just. People prolly want to go because the park will be nearly empty with only 24k.....

• Like 1

Some people see lemons and think lemonade others see lemon and think bat urine.  Life is a matter of perspective.

I'm sure things will be different.  I'm looking forward to whatever is coming in cruising.  

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Some people see lemons and think lemonade others see lemon and think bat urine.  Life is a matter of perspective.

I'm sure things will be different.  I'm looking forward to whatever is coming in cruising.  

You forgot about the people who aren't afraid to call a lemon for what it is.....a lemon. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

How is Disney Shanghai opening good news for cruise lines?  I think bookings are up for 2021 as so many cruises were cancelled with FCCs issued and would not show the same #s factoring out those re-booked cruises.  Time will tell what

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

China is not Florida. China is taking extreme precautionary measures the US is not. Even if China Disney can keep CV at bay, that doesn't mean Florida will be able to. Two totally different beasts. Also Americans don't have the respect for others or the discipline that the Chinese people do. They have been wearing masks for decades, not for themselves but out of respect for others. Many in this country including 45 won't ever wear a mask "Freedom of liberty".  Do you think the protestors around this country are respectful of others? Hardly. It's really a shame this country can't get it's act together in these very challenging times.

Cruise lines are unfortunately now the face of Covid. It will take years for them to recover. It will take years for the US economy to recover. Many businesses are closing including major retailers. This jobs aren't coming back.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Tickets limited. What are cruise lines going to do regarding capacity going forward?

... and how many people have to sail on a cruise to make it pay? Cruise Lines are not going to just sail without profit. So does a ship have to be at 50% to make money or is it more like 75% plus?

47 minutes ago, CruiszBug said:

... and how many people have to sail on a cruise to make it pay? Cruise Lines are not going to just sail without profit. So does a ship have to be at 50% to make money or is it more like 75% plus?

Unknown answers. Who knows what the US CDC will require to sail out of US Ports. I believe for some period of time to come, social distancing will be the thing. How does that happen on a cruise ship at full capacity?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Unknown answers. Who knows what the US CDC will require to sail out of US Ports. I believe for some period of time to come, social distancing will be the thing. How does that happen on a cruise ship at full capacity?  

I know, right?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

How does that happen on a cruise ship at full capacity?  

I don't think it does.  I think it is almost 100% guaranteed, at least initially, to be sailing at reduced capacity.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

a check of their personal QR code – reflecting their "green" or "red" status on a phone-based app that is now required for travel and other activities during the pandemic."

Is this just in china? As someone tech challenged, I hope so?

Here we are having trouble getting workers to come back to work. If you can make $600 a week staying home, even if a employer matches it, it's easier to stay home. I hear 500k jobs in texas, even amazon is trying to hire, cant find applicants. Unemployment is too lucrative.

• Like 1