Good news for cruise lines

4 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

If anything Canada's and the US's number are being grossly over reported  because any death that can be remotely connected to C-virus being called a C-virus death and China's number were anywhere from 14 to 40 times more than they reported.  Their duplicity knows no bounds.  To compare the duplicity of a totalitarian, dictatorial, murderous regime without a free press to whatever inaccuracies may exist in any western democracies number is just naive. 

You nailed it

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

If anything Canada's and the US's number are being grossly over reported  because any death that can be remotely connected to C-virus being called a C-virus death and China's number were anywhere from 14 to 40 times more than they reported.  Their duplicity knows no bounds.  To compare the duplicity of a totalitarian, dictatorial, murderous regime without a free press to whatever inaccuracies may exist in any western democracies number is just naive. 

100% correct. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Some restaurants cant get workers to come back.

I don't know what the unemployment payout in Dallas is but in New York it's $504 plus the $600 stimulus for those who qualify. The jobs I see here are for Part Time which has been the trend for years for companies like UPS and FedEx and entry level bank jobs. If there average work week is under 30 hours they don't have to offer medical and other benefits. What's an even sleazer trend is big companies recruiting college grads after graduation and offering them unpaid internships. I call these white collar sweatshops. I had a few college grads working for me part time for minimum wage while the take on these internships that never lead to a permanent position. They usually keep the internship until the deferred payment on their $100,000 student loan comes due. Then they just settle for any full time job they can get.

13 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

If allowed and there's money to be made, RCI will be there, just like they'll go back to Cuba if allowed.

While there's some bit of truth to that...this global pandemic sourced from China compares with nothing the world has ever seen in terms of the intentional & blatant deceit & cover up that resulted in astronomical fatalities. 

Rest assured that the families & friends of the people lost will remember (with their hearts & wallets) what China has done.

Even RCI must be wise enough to know these ramifications and pivot their cruise line strategy plans accordingly.

41 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I ask you to please open your mind. Most things we are hearing in North America are false as well. 

Canada is at least more open minded to the world and since there is a much better structure in areas such as health care  or should I say, there is one, Canada is not in such a desaster condition with COVID-19 as the US is in.

Of course, we don't need to argue, the real number of cases in China are much higher and the US would be likely the real number 2, closely followed by Russia.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

While there's some bit of truth to that...this global pandemic sourced from China compares with nothing the world has ever seen in terms of the intentional & blatant deceit & cover up that resulted in astronomical fatalities. 

Rest assured that the families & friends of the people lost will remember (with their hearts & wallets) what China has done.

Even RCI must be wise enough to know these ramifications and pivot their cruise line strategy plans accordingly.

I must say that you're starting to sound like a parrot. What kind of cell phone do you use?

19 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Here we are having trouble getting workers to come back to work. If you can make $600 a week staying home, even if a employer matches it, it's easier to stay home. I hear 500k jobs in texas, even amazon is trying to hire, cant find applicants. Unemployment is too lucrative.

Too lucrative?  The maximum unemployment amount in our state is $6400 per year. I would hardly call that a lucrative salary. It's less than what my husband made in one month at his old job (which he held for 18 years with a college degree, special certifications, several promotions and excellent reviews). The media spins this the wrong way.  They say things like "extended to 52 weeks" and "unemployment covers 50% of a person's salary".  In reality, it's 52 weeks OR 6400 whichever comes first.  And for most people who worked full time, $6400 is not even close to 50% of their annual salary. A maximum weekly benefit of $320 no matter how much money you made previously (yes the extra 600 makes it livable for now, but that runs out in 2 months and there will still be MILLIONS unemployed in 2 months).  My husband's unemployment for the entire month doesn't even cover what our monthly Cobra costs are! I should also mention that it's been weeks, and we haven't even received one check yet. If you still have a job, be happy. Maybe this extra $600 is a "windfall" for a few college aged kids or minimum wage workers who have struggled their whole lives, but for the majority of the 33 million Americans currently out of work, this is a horrible situation.  They would happily go back to work (and have healthcare coverage again) in a heartbeat. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I must say that you're starting to sound like a parrot. What kind of cell phone do you use?

Many folks learn early on that those who insult like your post do so because they cannot validate or substantiate their views...so they resort to this kind of behavior. 

Perhaps keeping on topic would be prudent, as insults such as those you have been posting for some time are grounds for an admin to take action according to the website rules.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

I don't know what the unemployment payout in Dallas is but in New York it's $504 plus the $600 stimulus for those who qualify. The jobs I see here are for Part Time which has been the trend for years for companies like UPS and FedEx and entry level bank jobs. If there average work week is under 30 hours they don't have to offer medical and other benefits. What's an even sleazer trend is big companies recruiting college grads after graduation and offering them unpaid internships. I call these white collar sweatshops. I had a few college grads working for me part time for minimum wage while the take on these internships that never lead to a permanent position. They usually keep the internship until the deferred payment on their $100,000 student loan comes due. Then they just settle for any full time job they can get.

I'm sure it's very different in ny and texas. We had a big inflow from calif who came for the lower living costs. Tbh I hate dallas, I lived in hawaii and in a ocean front condo in boca raton fl and my dad got macular degeneration so I quit my job and moved here. Kicking and screaming against buying a house but finally bought one 5 minutes from my folks who are 94 and 101.

I considered buying a beach house in texas, but the beaches are garbage compared to hawaii and florida. So that's why I cruise. I didnt cruise when I worked and lived on the ocean, not until I moved to dallas. It's the compromise I've made with my family.

So yes I cant wait for cruises to start, though I think it will be years before things are normal cruising... if ever. Some times life is a compromise. You can live cheap here, but it's not my choice by far.

Just give me a cruise to anywhere, I get it, plenty will tell me to stay home at my age. Ill, avoid elevators and crowds as best I can, probably bring a mask and eat alone etc. Be careful, I just want to see the bright blue ocean and sit and read a book.

• Like 3

Per the thread topic...

Hopefully we will get more insight into cruise line plans within the next 90 days, as far as cruise schedules, ports supported, active ships, and available destinations.  With several cruise lines announcing further delays into the My-July time-frames, it may take a while for anyone to learn enough to reliably plan for a future cruise.

8 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Many folks learn early on that those who insult like your post do so because they cannot validate or substantiate their views...so they resort to this kind of behavior. 

Perhaps keeping on topic would be prudent, as insults such as those you have been posting for some time are grounds for an admin to take action according to the website rules.

Those who do not have confidence in their conviction will resort to changing the subject. Here's one for you, from now on you can just ignore me (or block me for that matter), I will definitely be ignoring you. You have shown me your true colours. 

Good day Karen. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Those who do not have confidence in their conviction will resort to changing the subject. Here's one for you, from now on you can just ignore me (or block me for that matter), I will definitely be ignoring you. You have shown me your true colours. 

Good day Karen. 

Thanks....rarely ignore anyone unless they really get out of hand.  Appreciate your recommendation...well deserved.

The subject is about the good news from cruise lines...made numerous attempts to get back on that topic despite your derailing the thread on a defend-China rant.

Best wishes to happy cruisers who are looking to return to the seas in the near future. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Thanks....rarely ignore anyone unless they really get out of hand.  Appreciate your recommendation...well deserved.

The subject is about the good news from cruise lines...made numerous attempts to get back on that topic despite your derailing the thread on a defend-China rant.

Best wishes to happy cruisers who are looking to return to the seas in the near future. 

Karen, I wish you nothing more than to be able to return to the seas real soon. 

23 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Just China yes. 

No not just China.  My company has an app and is "encouraging" all employees to download it.  There is a section where you perform a self assessment by answering a series of questions.  One of the requirements is you must input your temperature.  They purchased 60,000 thermometers to give to all personal in North America.  Depending on what you answer you will get either a green, yellow or red screen as well as a number with a time and date stamp.  You must show this screen to security before they let you on to the grounds.  And yes we are a Canadian company.

Edited by Magicat

10 hours ago, LXA350 said:

Of course, we don't need to argue, the real number of cases in China are much higher and the US would be likely the real number 2, closely followed by Russia

Duh, the US is the third largest country by population.  We're fairly on par with a lot of the EU on cases per million

Screenshot_20200509-211102_Chrome.thumb.jpg.da85e23371142dd5fabd1253d20585c4.jpg

We were in Bruges exactly one year ago, lovely country, but 3 times the fatalities 🤔

Screenshot_20200509-211507_Chrome.thumb.jpg.125405189cd0c0089ce651d87d637a7d.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'm sure it's very different in ny and texas. We had a big inflow from calif who came for the lower living costs. Tbh I hate dallas, I lived in hawaii and in a ocean front condo in boca raton fl and my dad got macular degeneration so I quit my job and moved here. Kicking and screaming against buying a house but finally bought one 5 minutes from my folks who are 94 and 101.

I considered buying a beach house in texas, but the beaches are garbage compared to hawaii and florida. So that's why I cruise. I didnt cruise when I worked and lived on the ocean, not until I moved to dallas. It's the compromise I've made with my family.

So yes I cant wait for cruises to start, though I think it will be years before things are normal cruising... if ever. Some times life is a compromise. You can live cheap here, but it's not my choice by far.

Just give me a cruise to anywhere, I get it, plenty will tell me to stay home at my age. Ill, avoid elevators and crowds as best I can, probably bring a mask and eat alone etc. Be careful, I just want to see the bright blue ocean and sit and read a book.

Pretty day here today. I'm actually enjoying being home vs on Liberty right now. 

We were getting burned out, and this hiatus has been an eye opener. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

In an interview with Frank Del Rio of NCL, he indicated that measures will obviously be put into place but sailing with reduced capacity wasn't one of them.  Point being, the major cruise lines will likely follow each other's lead on many things...this being one of them.  IMO, of course.

But Del Rio is also aware that reduced capacity might happen anyway when they open up - though, strictly based on these boards, I'm not quite sure I agree with that, because it seems like people are ready to GO 😁

“When we first open up sailings, I don’t think the ships will sail full even if we wanted them to,” he said. “Remember, there’s been a lot of cancellations.”

Even with just a handful of ships sailing initially, Del Rio is expecting occupancy rates of just 50% to 60% on vessels for a few months as demand ramps back up.

“Social distancing will be a natural phenomena by definition,” he said.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/norwegian-cruise-ceo-frank-del-rio-future-of-cruising/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Pretty day here today. I'm actually enjoying being home vs on Liberty right now. 

We were getting burned out, and this hiatus has been an eye opener. 

Pretty day here too. Me and dad were against getting together tomorrow, but my 81 year old bil who my mom cant say no to is cooking and bringing over food. So I said ok, maybe we can eat and social distance around the den, and hope it's not messy food. Happy mothers day to all the moms. Would have been first holiday we skipped getting together so I'm glad, just nervous for my dad.