Unethical if they postpone again

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Exactly, this afternoon I booked a Harmony OV balcony for June 2020 at a price of $78 PP/PD, immediately shifted it to July 2021 on Symphony. Had I booked Symphony 2021 directly it would have cost $285 PP/PD. 

Good for you finding the loophole.

23 minutes ago, johnjen said:

Not true. She told me I'd get my money back if I go refundable vs. non-refundable. That's from ChoiceAir/RCL.

I was not referring to air purchased through Royal. 

Also with choice air there are 2 scenarios.

If you cancel and have refundable air there may be air change fees. If Royal cancels and you have refundable air you are good.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I was not referring to air purchased through Royal. 

Also with choice air there are 2 scenarios.

If you cancel and have refundable air there may be air change fees. If Royal cancels and you have refundable air you are good.

Thanks for clearing that up. Really. We feel though, we're in that "damned if we do damned if we don't" thing right now. Deep down, I want it to cancel now so I don't have to deal with it (OR WORSE, wearing a mask whilst on holiday, being told where to go, where not to go, social distancing, queues, etc) I want to feel like I'm on a cruise, not in the warsaw ghetto being constantly policed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, johnjen said:

Thanks for clearing that up. Really. We feel though, we're in that "damned if we do damned if we don't" thing right now. Deep down, I want it to cancel now so I don't have to deal with it (OR WORSE, wearing a mask whilst on holiday, being told where to go, where not to go, social distancing, queues, etc) I want to feel like I'm on a cruise, not in the warsaw ghetto being constantly policed.

I would feel the same way.  I get that you don’t want the FCC but I would still view that as a better alternative than sailing mid  June.  It’s most likely that it won’t sail anyway.  I just think that purchasing air commits you to a sailing you wouldn’t enjoy if like I said the 1 in a million happens and it did sail. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

I would feel the same way.  I get that you don’t want the FCC but I would still view that as a better alternative than sailing mid  June.  It’s most likely that it won’t sail anyway.  I just think that purchasing air commits you to a sailing you wouldn’t enjoy if like I said the 1 in a million happens and it did sail. 

...and thanks, that represents yet another scenario I've just thought about. Being miserable. Only thing is, I'm hearing the FCC is a shell game. What if I book another cruise at less value than what I put into this one? Do I get refunded the difference?

21 minutes ago, johnjen said:

...and thanks, that represents yet another scenario I've just thought about. Being miserable. Only thing is, I'm hearing the FCC is a shell game. What if I book another cruise at less value than what I put into this one? Do I get refunded the difference?

Any extra FCC is issued as a new FCC once the cruise is complete. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, molly361 said:

Or like Ken said to use S&L  There are a lot of well priced OA class sailings for the next few months and if you look at those same sailings for the end of 2021 they are a LOT pricier 

Does one have to L + S prior to Royal canceling the trip?

I have a late July trip (unlikely I know) but would go if able.

14 minutes ago, ToroAzul said:

Does one have to L + S prior to Royal canceling the trip?

I have a late July trip (unlikely I know) but would go if able.

Unknown at this time as Royals hasn’t released options for the next round of cancellations.  

there was one report though of someone being able to apply it to a previously cancelled cruise as the FCC had not been processed. 

No, this is not Unethical on RCL's part.

It's just their marketing campaign to increase cash flow.

It's a gamble on our part as passengers.

You give them $$$ now, at least the deposits, gambling that they'll won't go bankrupt, or increases prices for future cruises.

It's just like the futures' market, or any other gambling instruments...

Edited by NavyCruiser
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NavyCruiser said:

No, this is not Unethical on RCL's part.

It's just their marketing campaign to increase cash flow.

It's a gamble on our part as passengers.

You give them $$$ now, at least the deposits, gambling that they'll won't go bankrupt, or increases prices for future cruises.

It's just like the futures' market, or any other gambling instruments...

Not sure i agree that its not unethical given they are knowingly selling a product/service that they know they cannot provide.  If i did that, im pretty sure i would get in trouble...

• Like 3

@irzero No you do not “have” to pay.
You L&S to the same cruise next year thus protecting your fare and any perks you had with the original booking.  

Or you cancel and get an FCC valid for almost 2 years. 

That is not “dishonest and dirty” in my book. That is very clear and upfront. 

• Like 2

It is very wrong of any business to sell a product that they know they can't deliver and I am not sure how I feel about my favourite cruiseline doing this when so many other lines have cancelled. There has got to be a law somewhere that prevents this surely? I love the RC product but it does leave a bad taste in my mouth. 

It is great that some savvy cruisers have taken advantage of L&S - and some a lot more than others, but RC haven't exactly gone out if their way to advertise this. Has anyone had an email telling them this scheme even exists yet?

8 minutes ago, livylotte said:

It is great that some savvy cruisers have taken advantage of L&S - and some a lot more than others, but RC haven't exactly gone out if their way to advertise this. Has anyone had an email telling them this scheme even exists yet?

Yes, another post of mine wondered how many people don’t even know of the L&S facility because they are not on this site or social media..... I would estimate that it is a pretty large percentage.  

RCI have officially put their stake in the ground and have stated they intend to start sailing from June 12th, therefore selling cruises after that date is abiding by their own date parameters.  

However, I fully expect another extension to cancellations to be announced this Friday. 

Edited by little britain

4 hours ago, livylotte said:

It is very wrong of any business to sell a product that they know they can't deliver 

It is also very dumb to actually book a new cruise that is scheduled to sail in the next 3-4 months (or more).

I feel for anyone who has bookings this summer/fall who have money our for airfare etc, lift and shift won't work, and other reasons.  But anyone who is making new bookings in the next few months who isn't doing it just to lift and shift is taking a risk that isn't too smart.

Edited by bouhunter

4 hours ago, little britain said:

No you do not “have” to pay.

That’s not my understanding of the S&L. If before final payment, using the FCC for the current cash deposit, one will still need an additional cash deposit to S&L the cruise. So now Royal keeps your first deposit and then has more deposit cash when you S&L the existing cruise. 

@Ourusualbeach Is probably the best to acknowledge if my statement is correct. 

27 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

That’s not my understanding of the S&L. If before final payment, using the FCC for the current cash deposit, one will still need an additional cash deposit to S&L the cruise. So now Royal keeps your first deposit and then has more deposit cash when you S&L the existing cruise. 

You can’t book a current cruise using the FCC for the deposit. 

the current booking if valid will have all monies that are required already paid and if you did a L&S no additional funds would be required

47 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

My understanding is that a straightorward L&S is done within the same original booking # so no additional monies/deposit is needed.    Your new final payment date is also moved out based on the new cruise's final payment date, and not the original cruise's date. 

47 minutes ago, little britain said:

My understanding is that a straightorward L&S is done within the same original booking # so no additional monies/deposit is needed.    Your new final payment date is also moved out based on the new cruise's final payment date, and not the original cruise's date. 

If you convert a Deposit prior to final payment, it becomes a FCC. If you use the S&L to move to another cruise, you will still need an additional deposit and can use the FCC towards fare. So Royal has your first cash deposit (FCC) and then another cash deposit. 

@Ourusualbeach Is that correct?