Unethical if they postpone again

Just my opinion, but I think it is unethical of RC to still be selling bookings for June cruises when we all know there is no way they will sail. 30 days out from their tentative 6/12 restart and no announcements. How can a company expect people to change plans and bookings with that sort of notice, especially when every other cruise company in the world has already pushed out and came up with legit restart plans weeks ago.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, tlbutler33 said:

Just my opinion, but I think it is unethical of RC to still be selling bookings for June cruises when we all know there is no way they will sail. 30 days out from their tentative 6/12 restart and no announcements. How can a company expect people to change plans and bookings with that sort of notice, especially when every other cruise company in the world has already pushed out and came up with legit restart plans weeks ago.

They need the cash flow. 

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, tlbutler33 said:

Every cruise line is operating under a slightly different schedule.  None are any better or more transparent,  a week ago Royal was further ahead in many of their cancellations than other lines.  They have done the 30 day rolling cancellations right from the start.  It is only in the last week that any of the mass market lines cancelled cruises more than 30 days out other than a couple very specific itineraries.  If people are actually gullible enough to to think that cruising will resume in July then that’s on them.  

The 30 day Schedule was to allow them to process cancellations more efficiently and we’ve all seen how that worked Out.  I can’t imagine the chaos if they had cancelled 90 days worth of sailings. 

Personally I think that most of the bookings (and that’s not many) being done for July and August are being done by people knowing full well that they want sail And looking to capitalize on a 125% FCC or the Lift and Shift

• Like 14

23 minutes ago, tlbutler33 said:

Just as stupid as anyone who books a cruise that they know will almost certainly not sail. There are some people who will book purely with the aim of getting a 125% FCC. and then apply that to a future cruise. not a bad way of getting extra cash, but Risky.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If people are actually gullible enough to to think that cruising will resume in July then that’s on them

Caymans said port closed until sept 1st and will reevaluate then. With no cruise ports saying open, yes no one can possibly actually believe cruises will resume mid june.

The 8 ships carnival is trying to launch in august is even in doubt, and capacity was severely limited on those. I would disagree that even a few weeks ago rcl was ahead, carnival was ahead last canc round as well. 

Just have to accept there wouldnt be any cruises until august or Sept at the very earliest. 

Doing what carnival did, saying cruises would start august 1st, carnival has reported per fbn bookings are up 600%, and one analyst raised ccl to a buy. It actually might help rcl to do something similar but I dont see any sign rcl is cutting off bookings at very low booking levels the way carnival is doing. I cant book either partial panama on carnival this year for instance, but I can on rcl. Carnival closed a lot of bookings. Different management style.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, clarky213 said:

Just as stupid as anyone who books a cruise that they know will almost certainly not sail. There are some people who will book purely with the aim of getting a 125% FCC. and then apply that to a future cruise. not a bad way of getting extra cash, but Risky.

Or like Ken said to use S&L  There are a lot of well priced OA class sailings for the next few months and if you look at those same sailings for the end of 2021 they are a LOT pricier 

1 hour ago, tlbutler33 said:

Other Lines doing same, until few days ago Carnival and Princess were also doing it. Agree not right

Why anyone would book a cruise, with any cruise line, to any destination is beyond my comprehension at the moment. 

Every day I regret making final payment just before everything started to collapse. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jknc said:

Why anyone would book a cruise, with any cruise line, to any destination is beyond my comprehension at the moment. 

Every day I regret making final payment just before everything started to collapse. 

Not only do they book them they come here and advertise the great deal they got and then get offended when others point out that they will never sail. It’s been reported that they are offering great deals on the deluxe drink packages for those sailings. Some have canceled the package and repurchased for the lower price tying up even more money. 

Eventually they will be posting on the  “Are we the only ones who haven’t received a refund”, thread. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

There should be a message that pops up before clicking the "confirm to book" button. "You may think you are buying an advertised cruise on a specific date. But ship happens and your cruise will not. Thank your for your patronage and deposit and we look forward to serving you on a cruise 6-18 months in the future on a Ship / Itinerary / Port of Departure yet to  be determined. Happy Sailing".😀

EDIT: Added laffy face to indicate humor. I don't want to be branded a negative nellie. 😉

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

There should be a message that pops up before clicking the "confirm to book" button.

RCI has lots of experience with charters - they put all new bookings on hold until they decide when/how to cancel the sailing - that could be invoked, but, they won't.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jknc said:

I was on a cruise in February and you know how it is - cruise withdraw and the need to plan something else right away, so the end of Feb I booked a June cruise and made final payment on 3/10 - just before the s*%t hit the fan.

Fortunately for me, the cruise was canceled by Royal and I have received a full refund.  I have another cruise in November  on  Oasis  that I booked last November with a NR deposit, so I'm on hold with that one and really just have to see how it plays out.  Personally I don't think it will happen, but who really knows where we will be at by the end of the year??????

I do agree with you - not in a million years do I understand why anyone would be booking any cruise right now - regardless of when it's sailing.  Too many unknowns and while I personally wish the cruise lines all the best and in the future hope they can offer me what I'm looking for, right now I'm not willing to gamble with my money.

Edited by mek
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

I’ve been giving RCL a lot of slack in these debates. But accepting new bookings for June is just wrong. 

Anyone booking a cruise for June is doing so with the full intention of 125% FCC coming their way or utilizing the L & S program.  Royal knows that and they'll take the money as low interest loan. Some people are getting better deals than they otherwise would.  It's a win win situation for both parties.  If anyone is sufficiently far enough down the evolutionary timeline to actually believe that they will be cruising in mid June and come to CC complaining I expect them to be thoroughly scorched and they will run off with their tail between the legs.

I continue to RC lots of slack.  Commerce is still a voluntary exercise. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tlbutler33 said:

You do understand that a cruise is an item, that you purchase.  The consumer makes the decision, and many people today, fully understand, unless you are living under a rock without TV or internet, that the situation is very fluid.  So they are willing to gamble, and if they go, they are happy, and if they get 125% credit, they are also happy.  I can change my vacation easily and on a weekly notice.  So I can gamble like this.  The company expects nothing, it is the consumer that must be ready for the challenge and be ready to change plans.  You usually have a 30 day notice.

3 hours ago, tlbutler33 said:

I would go as far as saying its borderline fraud.  they are selling a product/service that they know they cant deliver.  Based on the last CDC guidance, isnt the earliest they can sail july 24th?

• Like 3

The conspiracy theorist inside of me:

The current promotions end today.  My guess is they announce something tomorrow.

Lift and Shift is good until August 1?  Then all cruises before August 1 will be cancelled.

Just my wild guesses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jknc said:

jknc - Fully agree.

Acknowledging your financial cost and the vacation disappointment, still I'd advise againt feeling too bad about your situation. You're safe and healthy, and didn't make a truly bad choice. It doesn't sound like you're signing up for the guinea pig sailings, which is plenty wise. (CC is full of folks chewing through the ropes to get on board Aug. 1. 🤷‍♂️ )

For hard-core regret, consider the tens of thousands of cruisers in February and March who made the choice to board. Only a tiny, tiny minority suffered death or a death in their party, plenty more got ill (or had someone in their party get ill, which in many ways would really be even worse). And tons of them suffered disrupted, anxiety-filled miserable days (or weeks) stuck in cabins or sailing aimlessly in hope of finding a friendly port - all while praying hard that they and their cabinmates didn't start sneezing or coughing.

In any event, you sound like one of the people we'd like to sail with - there have been so many great folks we've met cruising. Maybe again someday. (But not this day.)  

4 hours ago, tlbutler33 said:

Could it be greed ? 

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Not only do they book them they come here and advertise the great deal they got and then get offended when others point out that they will never sail. It’s been reported that they are offering great deals on the deluxe drink packages for those sailings. Some have canceled the package and repurchased for the lower price tying up even more money. 

Eventually they will be posting on the  “Are we the only ones who haven’t received a refund”, thread. 

Love your way of thinking. Your posts are always enjoyable to read.

• Like 4