From Mr Bayley - NO buffet

50 minutes ago, periduncan said:

I was at Baskin Robbins the other day and as the clerk leaned over with his head in the ice cream (wearing his mask), I thought that the one takeaway from all this COVID stuff that I could 100% get behind is food preparers wearing masks all the time when in contact with our food.  Not only for COVID, but for the general lack of grossness that can come from them talking on, allergies dripping on, and hair hanging (beards) over my food (and whatever happened to hairnets or at least buns required for food servers?).

Back on topic:  If the buffet was handled like Chipotle or Panda Express, I think that could be a reasonable solution.  Absent the cheapskate that wouldn't give more than a single slice of bacon (maybe that was what he/she was told to do, though still wrong), they give you what you want, as much as you want, and you are not given anything you don't want.  The food is passed via server until you are ready to take it.  That's how the included-in-price specialty food places are on Carnival. I could get behind this.  But the buffet is important to people and a classic part of the cruise experience.  People who don't like it can wait until the dining room is available or eat at the specialty places.  Informed consent/freedom of choice.

I agree with your sane, balanced view.  They just announced today that scientists have discovered that Covid-19 doesn't transfer well on objects so those ladles may not be as big of a problem as once thought.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

I agree with your sane, balanced view.  They just announced today that scientists have discovered that Covid-19 doesn't transfer well on objects so those ladles may not be as big of a problem as once thought.

and next week they will say that this is the way it is most commonly transferred.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Newleno said:

and next week they will say that this is the way it is most commonly transferred.

This is only funny because it is so true.  Didn't they originally report that the virus can live on a surface for 48 hours or more.  I can't keep up anymore.

• Like 1

It’s not airborne. It’s airborne. You can’t get immunity. You can have immunity.   Lives on surfaces. Doesn’t. Wear a mask. Mask is pointless.... so sad it’s funny.   As a paramedic, the one advice that’s the best and never changes is Wash Your Hands.   

Edited by periduncan
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Just now on the NEWS. The CDC says they were wrong on how long the virus stays on hard surfaces. Answer. now. Not long at all. Only a few minutes. Wear masks always, no not always, yes always. Just care workers and doctors need to wear them,. You must wear them to prevent you spreading the virus. Only certain masks are any good. Always changing what we all should do. Almost like every day there is a different answer. By the way hydroxychloroquine is super inexpensive and the pharmaceutical companies will not make squat on the sale of that pill. They say it is unproven and that is a down right flat lie. So, we must sit back and wait for I am sure will be a  super expensive vaccine. Get it. As usual, greed is what is causing us to stay sick. There are many reports of no side effects and many have been helped and cured from the virus taking the pill. Two doctors gave it to 450 patients and zero had any side effects. My neighbor has been taking it almost his entire life. never any side effects. He is 82. 

We have been told over and over it works. But money says it does not and it is dangerous.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Just now on the NEWS. The CDC says they were wrong on how long the virus stays on hard surfaces. Answer. now. Not long at all. Only a few minutes. Wear masks always, no not always, yes always. Just care workers and doctors need to wear them,. You must wear them to prevent you spreading the virus. Only certain masks are any good. Always changing what we all should do. Almost like every day there is a different answer. By the way hydroxychloroquine is super inexpensive and the pharmaceutical companies will not make squat on the sale of that pill. They say it is unproven and that is a down right flat lie. So, we must sit back and wait for I am sure will be a  super expensive vaccine. Get it. As usual, greed is what is causing us to stay sick. There are many reports of no side effects and many have been helped and cured from the virus taking the pill. Two doctors gave it to 450 patients and zero had any side effects. My neighbor has been taking it almost his entire life. never any side effects. He is 82. 

We have been told over and over it works. But money says it does not and it is dangerous.

Every medicine has side effects.The side effects for most can do more harm than having the illness.I have 13 illnesses,all serious and have not taken medication since July 2013,my choice .I am not recommending this just stating my preference.

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Every medicine has side effects.The side effects for most can do more harm than having the illness.I have 13 illnesses,all serious and have not taken medication since July 2013,my choice .I am not recommending this just stating my preference.

After viewing the drugs advertised on TV and the side effects I always say to my wife, I think would rather deal with the ailment that they are trying to cure. The first disclaimer is always don't take this drug if you are allergic to it....duh

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Iamcruzin said:

After viewing the drugs advertised on TV and the side effects I always say to my wife, I think would rather deal with the ailment that they are trying to cure. The first disclaimer is always don't take this drug if you are allergic to it....duh

I have Parkinson’s .My Neurologist and I have an agreement that if it gets to be a lot worse than it is now that I will consider going on a medication .He is reluctant to have me take anything now because the drug he would want me to take lowers the blood pressure.I have had 36 falls and taking the medication could definitely cause me to fall again.My last fall was in Oct.2018 and that was a very bad one.

I have similiar agreements with all my other doctors.

• Like 2

Wow, sure hope you stay healthy, lenquixote66.  I think that's what's been so exhausting with all of this Covid-19 business:  one day they tell you one thing, the next day they retract it and then the following day they say they aren't sure.  A week later they go back to their first theory.  Just give us some concrete information or none at all!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rich_cathybrock said:

If you are too busy, too dumb, or both to put your needs above those of your fellow passengers, STAY HOME.    

I am assuming you meant to say that if you are too busy, too dumb or both to put the needs of your fellow passengers above the needs of your own, STAY HOME.  My question to you is, how do you decide that someone else's needs are more important than mine?

On 5/20/2020 at 8:29 PM, ATC cruiser said:

If they want me to order from the room service menu they better increase the selection

Improved selection or not, it will still probably be cold when it gets to your cabin.

16 hours ago, zonacruiser25 said:

When cruising returns, I do believe many ships will sail below capacity, at least for a while.  This will be a learn as you go since what was will not be again, at least for the short term.

17 hours ago, MaxRelaxCruise said:

Forget about that half capacity idea their touting, the ship won't sail on half fuel, or half staff. Those beds and cabins cost money! That's the name of the game. You think Carnival is going to book half of the MARDI GRAS!.....LOL THAT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

I tend to believe A over B.   It's going to be a stick your big toe in the shallow end, not a dive into the deep end when cruising resumes. 

7 hours ago, Mallefiscent said:

I am assuming you meant to say that if you are too busy, too dumb or both to put the needs of your fellow passengers above the needs of your own, STAY HOME.  My question to you is, how do you decide that someone else's needs are more important than mine?

By Height

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

That is my favorite.  How would you know you are allergic?🥴

20 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

This is only funny because it is so true.  Didn't they originally report that the virus can live on a surface for 48 hours or more.  I can't keep up anymore.

There's no inconsistency between saying it can live on a surface and saying it doesn't easily transfer to people from surfaces. 

• Like 1

All this talk about socially distancing is nuts. You are never going to socially distance on a ship. Lets all be honest here. Impossible and most wont listen to it. All different nationalities and languages. Good luck with that. Cruising will not be fun if you have red boxes everywhere and arrows on floor. No thanks. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Mallefiscent said:

You are correct, and I don't decide.  Each individual has to take responsibility for their own actions, and should also be accountable when those actions can or do harm others.  I wrote this post in an abundance of frustration upon reading that crew were to be posted in restrooms to "remind people" to wash hands, which is kind of a shame when there aren't sufficient crew to properly service dining needs, nor create the nearly-extinct towel animals and other small surprises we all have come to love on cruises. 

Hand-washing is just basic hygiene, and to a certain extent, it is now each of our responsibilities if we want to keep ourselves and others safe while sharing the same floating resort. I don't decide, and you don't decide, but together WE decide.  And yes, if you can't wash your hands after using a restroom, you ought not be onboard, or in any public restroom anywhere, because you put others at risk, now more so than ever.     

• Like 3

Rich..great post!  My dad was always fond of saying that it seems no-one is (read: wants to be) responsible for their own actions anymore. As a result, whenever something happens it's always someone else's fault. I, too, have seen the typical evidence of lack of basic hygiene. Long before COVID came along, people have been getting noroviruses on ships - and probably always will. So it doesn't take a PhD to realize that you should wash hands frequently in places where you're encountering surfaces touches by hundreds or thousands of other people. CV now makes that even more important. But, you see, CV has brought out the worst in people who are decrying that their "rights are violated" just by being told to wear a mask in public or being told to stay home or social distance. It is a self-centered mode of thinking. It'll be interesting to see what happens once everything reopens - including traveling. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 12:19 AM, rich_cathybrock said:

You are correct, and I don't decide.  Each individual has to take responsibility for their own actions, and should also be accountable when those actions can or do harm others.  I wrote this post in an abundance of frustration upon reading that crew were to be posted in restrooms to "remind people" to wash hands, which is kind of a shame when there aren't sufficient crew to properly service dining needs, nor create the nearly-extinct towel animals and other small surprises we all have come to love on cruises. 

Hand-washing is just basic hygiene, and to a certain extent, it is now each of our responsibilities if we want to keep ourselves and others safe while sharing the same floating resort. I don't decide, and you don't decide, but together WE decide.  And yes, if you can't wash your hands after using a restroom, you ought not be onboard, or in any public restroom anywhere, because you put others at risk, now more so than ever.     

Great Post, thank you! Why do we even need to have a outbreak of a pandemic such as COVID-19 to remind people to wash their hands thoroughly al the time, not to mention before all those videos and reminders on the cruise ships. If everyone would just comply with taking care of personal hygiene we would be at much less risk to have outbreaks of Noro, influenza or COVID-19 on a cruiseship.

If you follow those buffet discussions here, you can be sure that all those for whom the buffet is a so important part of their life do not care at all about their personal hygiene and put at risk others and themselves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1