From Mr Bayley - NO buffet

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

That would be me. I am usually up and around no later than 5 AM.

Btw, when I was a kid the Sea Venture came to RI. My brother and I made our mother bring us to the port to see it. We got to go aboard and spent the day exploring the ship. Years later when we did our first cruise we got to Bermuda and there was the Pacific Princess there with us. It was so cool to see the ship again.

1970 was her inaugural year. In 2005 (I think) Princess announced they were selling the ship so we took another nostalgia cruise on her. Both cruises were from NYC to Bermuda. The first one we moved from town to town over night in Bermuda docking at St George, Hamilton and the Naval Shipyard. I think in 2005 we just stayed at the Naval Shipyard for 3 nights. That year they did have a buffet.

16 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Has RCCL said that they will no longer have a buffet? I was hoping there would still be a buffet but served by crew with no access to serving utensils by passengers.

Yes, RCCL and most of the other cruise lines are approaching this situation about the same.  The Buffet where we serve ourselves has to be terminated of only for the time being.  This does not mean that the area where the Buffet was is gone.  They are all finding a way to evolve using there crews to serve there guests.  You can imagine how complicated this will be so they are limiting the options to make it manageable.

It we all think about the health issues, It could be a plexi glass shield between us and the food.  We tell the crew member what and how much we want on our plate.  At the end of the line, our plate/plates are brought to us at our table.  Even before this crazy pandemic, this approach was used in cafeteria style dinning.  

In my opinion, this is an improvement.  Not just sanitary or health, also one of my biggest issues; waste.  Folks will be less likely to over fill their plates on their first trip through the lines.  They will not stand in front of one entry staring at it or waiting for the "Steaks" to come off the grill.  Others will not play with the food and touch it, then not put it on their plates.  The serving tools will be much cleaner then they had ever been prior.  All of this is a really good thing for a really bad reason, a pandemic. 

• Like 1

Despite all the great teaser rates being offered by the cruise lines, I won't book until I know what my cruise experience will look like.  After 46 cruises, I know what I enjoy and what I will miss.  Will it feel like a cruise or a constant battle to be allowed to remain outside my cabin?  I certainly understand the cruise line's dilemma and need to keep passengers safe, but I'm paying for a cruise experience, not something else.

No Diamond Lounge, No Gym, No Pool, Social Distancing at Bars, 25% max capacity at Shows? No public bathrooms? How far will it go?  Until I know, I'll pass.

To be clear, I have zero problem with any and all pre-boarding tests, they would like to perform.  But once I've been cleared, I'd like to have something close to a normal cruise experience.

• Like 5

On 5/24/2020 at 9:54 AM, Newleno said:

Exactly for those that want to go out and earn a living not being under house arrest, go out and do so, for those that want to stay in their homes, well they can do that to.  It is self-centered to think otherwise.  The plan was do not get hospitals overrun, it worked, it is working.  The plan was never to be on lockdown until vaccine was developed. 

Absolutely correct! When did it become acceptable to be told by someone else when you can leave your house??

Are we children or adults?  Everyone can judge for themselves if they need to stay indoors due to a pre-existing condition or other higher risk factor (age).  We are individuals responsible for our own health.

I've been on 46 cruises, some of which have had norovirus outbreaks.  I've never gotten sick.  I don't believe it's luck, I believe it's from the habits I've developed over the years (constant hand washing, not touching my face, avoiding contact people with who are clearly ill, etc.).

I appreciate the extra efforts made by the cruise lines, but my health begins with me.

• Like 8

On 5/24/2020 at 7:03 PM, OnTheJourney said:

Really?  Wouldn't it be more accurate to change "all" to "some of". A certain percentage of cruisers - and society in general - undoubtedly does not pay as much attention to personal hygiene as they should, but to say "all"?  Surely this is a miswording. 

According to Dr,Fauci it will be in 2021.Israel believes they will have a vaccine this year

On 5/26/2020 at 10:32 AM, Sthrngary said:

Yes, RCCL and most of the other cruise lines are approaching this situation about the same.  The Buffet where we serve ourselves has to be terminated of only for the time being.  This does not mean that the area where the Buffet was is gone.  They are all finding a way to evolve using there crews to serve there guests.  You can imagine how complicated this will be so they are limiting the options to make it manageable.

It we all think about the health issues, It could be a plexi glass shield between us and the food.  We tell the crew member what and how much we want on our plate.  At the end of the line, our plate/plates are brought to us at our table.  Even before this crazy pandemic, this approach was used in cafeteria style dinning.  

In my opinion, this is an improvement.  Not just sanitary or health, also one of my biggest issues; waste.  Folks will be less likely to over fill their plates on their first trip through the lines.  They will not stand in front of one entry staring at it or waiting for the "Steaks" to come off the grill.  Others will not play with the food and touch it, then not put it on their plates.  The serving tools will be much cleaner then they had ever been prior.  All of this is a really good thing for a really bad reason, a pandemic. 

It isn't complicated at all. Just run the thing the same way they do when there has been a noro outbreak on the ship. There is no need to reinvent the wheel or make this complicated at all.

• Like 11

22 hours ago, JoePatNYCT said:

Absolutely correct! When did it become acceptable to be told by someone else when you can leave your house??

Are we children or adults?  Everyone can judge for themselves if they need to stay indoors due to a pre-existing condition or other higher risk factor (age).  We are individuals responsible for our own health.

I've been on 46 cruises, some of which have had norovirus outbreaks.  I've never gotten sick.  I don't believe it's luck, I believe it's from the habits I've developed over the years (constant hand washing, not touching my face, avoiding contact people with who are clearly ill, etc.).

I appreciate the extra efforts made by the cruise lines, but my health begins with me.

I also practice good habits and frequent hand washing- I always use my knuckles to push elevator buttons.  However, sometimes you cannot avoid the germs.  People with bad colds, coughs or worse sail .  You hear them in the theatre, elevators walking around the ship.  They touch handles in bathrooms, merchandise in shops, staircase railings,  etc.  

My DH who is board line OCD when it comes to being immaculate, got Noro virus once, and was sick as a dog- Also, much does depend on your immune system.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

I also practice good habits and frequent hand washing- I always use my knuckles to push elevator buttons.  However, sometimes you cannot avoid the germs.  People with bad colds, coughs or worse sail .  You hear them in the theatre, elevators walking around the ship.  They touch handles in bathrooms, merchandise in shops, staircase railings,  etc.  

My DH who is board line OCD when it comes to being immaculate, got Noro virus once, and was sick as a dog- Also, much does depend on your immune system.

So many forget about what you just said. The common cold and the flu have been around for how long? Many do not even get the vaccine each year. 100s of thousands die from it every year. I really do not expect it to be any different. However, I have heard that RCCL has contacted a mask company for a purchase. Have no idea if that is true or not. I have also heard they will require you wearing one in certain areas. I would think. The cassino, the shows maybe bingo. I want the buffey to continue. We just visited our local Golden Corral buffet and it went according to plan. Distancing was adhered to. The buffet lines were roped off for single file and no cutting in. I liked that. Hand sanitizer was required when entering any of the buffet lines and gloves were available, if you wanted to use one.  Condiments were brought to your table when asked for. As soon as you were finished and left the table. The went and sanitized all. Ships can easily do the same.

• Like 2

It's an option, you first wash your hands and sanitize them at the entrance to Windjammer. Then you put on a face mask and gloves and can go to the buffet. In practice it wouldn't work, because when you want to go for a 2nd round of food you would need to repeat the whole process again, this will be impossible to control.

3 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

It's an option, you first wash your hands and sanitize them at the entrance to Windjammer. Then you put on a face mask and gloves and can go to the buffet. In practice it wouldn't work, because when you want to go for a 2nd round of food you would need to repeat the whole process again, this will be impossible to control.

If you wash your hands why the need to put on gloves? You aren't about to go into surgery.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

If you wash your hands why the need to put on gloves? You aren't about to go into surgery.

As I said the concept wouldn't work, but it would give you additional protection.

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I already posted this but here it is again.

Here is what they are doing at our local Golden Corral buffet, which we really enjoy. Better than any one on a ship. . One is doing cafeteria style. No idea how that is working for them. The other, which is the one we go to. Every other booth is available. Tables are a good distance apart. Only thing on a table is the napkin dispenser, where they pop out of the top of it. No condiments on the table. You ask for what you want. They bring you your plates, 3 each and a bowl each.  You want soda, tea, coffee etc. They get it for you. Each buffet table is roped off. (They have those already in a ships buffet so you do not enter when they are closed) You enter one end and exit the other. No cutting in and distancing is marked on the floor. Entering a line you have hand sanitizers. They watch. You must use them each time you go in a buffet line. Gloves are available if you choose to use them. Glass protects the food from your breath. As do most all buffets. When you are finished. They immediately sanitize the table and chairs and remove and clean the condiments you used. Worked excellent and no one had any problems with that system at all.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2020 at 7:52 AM, Ocean Boy said:

That would be me. I am usually up and around no later than 5 AM.

That's us now even with my time dining. I have to say that I'm getting too used to sleeping until 8:00 since I haven't been working.  Usually we are up at 5:00 during the week for work. Our body clock is set for that time on vacation. We like an early breakfast and a late dinner which is why traditional doesn't work for us.

1 hour ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Here is what they are doing at our local Golden Corral buffet, which we really enjoy. Better than any one on a ship. . One is doing cafeteria style. No idea how that is working for them. The other, which is the one we go to. Every other booth is available. Tables are a good distance apart. Only thing on a table is the napkin dispenser, where they pop out of the top of it. No condiments on the table. You ask for what you want. They bring you your plates, 3 each and a bowl each.  You want soda, tea, coffee etc. They get it for you. Each buffet table is roped off. (They have those already in a ships buffet so you do not enter when they are closed) You enter one end and exit the other. No cutting in and distancing is marked on the floor. Entering a line you have hand sanitizers. They watch. You must use them each time you go in a buffet line. Gloves are available if you choose to use them. Glass protects the food from your breath. As do most all buffets. When you are finished. They immediately sanitize the table and chairs and remove and clean the condiments you used. Worked excellent and no one had any problems with that system at all.

Nothing new. When I started Cruising on Royal WindJammer was Cafeteria style. Food on Plates to PU. Even had tableclothes, Waiters and Main Dining Menus for Dinner time... WindJammer isnt going anywhere, for while might have Cafeteria style or just served at stations like a Noro outbreak...

Edited by ONECRUISER

10 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Here is what they are doing at our local Golden Corral buffet, which we really enjoy. Better than any one on a ship.

I hope you are comparing what you have seen at your local Golden Corral is doing regarding spacing comparing it to what you have seen on cruise buffets previously.  This would be comparing an apple to an orange.  You can't compare what your local GC is doing to what cruises will be doing in the future since no one knows exactly what we will see.

And I certainly can't infer that you think the food quality at GC is "better than any one on a ship."  This would be the epitome of ludicrous.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

So would staying home.

It would already help that everyone will take care of their perosnal hygiene including washing their hands and disinfecting when entering Windjammer, but people will not learn and you wil still have enough not doing so unfortunately.

10 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I hope you are comparing what you have seen at your local Golden Corral is doing regarding spacing comparing it to what you have seen on cruise buffets previously.  This would be comparing an apple to an orange.  You can't compare what your local GC is doing to what cruises will be doing in the future since no one knows exactly what we will see.

And I certainly can't infer that you think the food quality at GC is "better than any one on a ship."  This would be the epitome of ludicrous.

What the cruise industry did in the past has no significance of what they might do in the future when they start cruises again. I do not know about your local Golden Corral but the food at ours is excellent and it is that way every time. Before this one opened we went a few time tot he other one further away. No where nears as good of food. As you say. You cannot compare apples with oranges. Same as buffets on different ships, even owned by the same cruise line. They are not the same on every ship. Some are excellent others are terrible. I would think they will change the seating. maybe not. We will see, won't we. To start, Royal is saying, "At first no buffets" Question, how will they handle all the people in the MDR or specialty restaurants in the same time frame? Will they separate the tables in those? If yes. Major problem feeding everyone. As it is now, the tables and seating in most cases are not on top of one another. 

12 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Hmm Have you been to the mighty GC lately?  Delicious, Quality, Fast, Casual

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

What the cruise industry did in the past has no significance of what they might do in the future when they start cruises......To start, Royal is saying, "At first no buffets" 

Your first line I will agree with.  Royal has already retracted their no buffets stance.

19 minutes ago, Newleno said:

Hmm Have you been to the mighty GC lately?  Delicious, Quality, Fast, Casual

There used to be two of them within 10 miles of my house.  Both long out of business.  Their breakfast on the weekends was passable since it's not too hard to screw up breakfast, but lunch and dinner was delicious as you say only if you enjoy reheated food from plastic bags or cans.

1 minute ago, LXA350 said:

Looking at some Tripadvisor pictures of this Golden Corral chain, Windjammer ilooks a bit better 🤮

That's an understatement.

1 minute ago, SNJCruisers said:

Your first line I will agree with.  Royal has already retracted their no buffets stance.

There used to be two of them within 10 miles of my house.  Both long out of business.  Their breakfast on the weekends was passable since it's not too hard to screw up breakfast, but lunch and dinner was delicious as you say only if you enjoy reheated food from plastic bags or cans.

That's an understatement.

Windjammer is that much better or Golden Corral is that much worse? I just looked at a few pictures and felt sick already 😄

3 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

Windjammer is that much better or Golden Corral is that much worse? I just looked at a few pictures and felt sick already 😄

It qualifies as delicious quality grub in some people's eyes.  Some people have a lower quality bar than others.   If GC is quality food, then Chipotle must be gourmet.  😮

• Haha 1