What happens then.........?

crusinbanjo

I'm not sure how Hal will handle but prior to lockdown rcl was refunding cruise fare if you were denied boarding.  They did Not arrange transportation for your way home as I figure the assumption was you could just change your airline ticket to fly home early or whatever means of transportation you used.

If 1 person was sent home and not the other then you had to decide go solo or go all go home.

Rcl was recommending for travelers to call customer service before heading to terminal if you were unsure if you would be able to board.

No idea how this will be handled when cruising restarts.  We are all stuck in holding pattern.

9 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

IF (big if) there is a vaccine.

Assuming there's eventually an effective vaccine, I've wondered about a few things:

• How will it be administered?  At mass clinics similar to what we did with the polio vaccine?  In our area they would set up clinics in the gym or cafeteria at a public school and just line us up and inject us, or later, give us a sugar cube in a tiny paper cup.  
  • Will there be groups who will be given priority for the vaccine? 
  • What documentation will be given to individuals who receive the vaccine, especially if administered in mass clinics? 

I wouldn't count on getting any money back.  I can remember quite a few years ago when we were in Seward and several people were denied boarding the ship because they had the Noro virus.  They had just finished a land tour.  I asked the hotel manager if they got their money back -- nope.

• Like 1

The Holland America passenger contract states that "Any person(s) refused booking or passage in advance of the scheduled sailing or commencement of the Land + Sea Journey or pre-cruise Land Trip by Carrier will be given a refund of their Cruise Fare." 

HOWEVER:  later in the same section, they state "If You become unfit to travel for any reason during the Cruise, Land + Sea Journey, and/or Land Trip(s) and/or You disembark early, or if You are refused passage, or Your reservation is cancelled if You book a cruise after Carrier has advised You that You are no longer allowed to sail, Carrier shall not be liable for any refund, payment, compensation, or credit of any kind

So -- somewhat unclear?

I recall reading on some other cruise line forum earlier this week that they are actually reassuring passengers that if they are refused boarding due to COVID-like symptoms, they will be reimbursed -- at least for the cruise. 

I'm guessing almost no cruiseline would reimburse for air unless it was all part of the package (as on certain luxury lines) -- not the "add-on air" that mass market lines generally offer.

Excellent thread.

One thing our family has always included into purchasing decisions is a "hassle factor".

The notion of having a risk of being turned away at the dock based on one or more tests, and then possibly more tests during the cruise, significantly reduces cruising as an option.

The benefits of a cruise would have to significantly outweigh the "hassle factor".

Until it is very clear what the risks are to the purchaser of cruises, will not consider cruising as an option.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Well, if there is vaccine I am quite sure if you want to board a ship you have to show a certificat that you got it . Not vaccinated- no boarding.

What about other viruses that people refuse to take?  Should everyone be forced to share immunization records that include measles, mumps, chicken pox?  Should people prove they had the flu shot too?

• Like 1

I suspect the cruise lines will be heavily promoting their Cancel For Any Reason policies once cruising resumes. Especially their "premium" policies. And at a much higher price to us cruisers.

Come to think of it, I wonder if they will be re writing the terms of these policies once cruising resumes. 

Edited by yerdua
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Roz said:

Assuming there's eventually an effective vaccine, I've wondered about a few things:

• How will it be administered?  At mass clinics similar to what we did with the polio vaccine?  In our area they would set up clinics in the gym or cafeteria at a public school and just line us up and inject us, or later, give us a sugar cube in a tiny paper cup.  I suspect so quickest and easiest. Still remember queuing at school for my BCG jab.
  • Will there be groups who will be given priority for the vaccine? Frontline including our beloved politicians military etc
  • What documentation will be given to individuals who receive the vaccine, especially if administered in mass clinics? Still have my polio certificate for way.back when.
  •  

2 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

What about other viruses that people refuse to take?  Should everyone be forced to share immunization records that include measles, mumps, chicken pox?  Should people prove they had the flu shot too?

It’s a valid point. However Covid is the hot subject and if the cruise line makes it a requirement to board?

It may not just be the cruise line it could also be a requirement when visiting ports of call or indeed international travel of any form.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yerdua said:

I suspect the cruise lines will be heavily promoting their Cancel For Any Reason policies once cruising resumes. Especially their "premium" policies. And at a much higher price to us cruisers.

Come to think of it, I wonder if they will be re writing the terms of these policies once cruising resumes. 

Maybe just include "cancel for any reason" insurance in the price of the cruise.  Of course that would be passed on to the customer in the price of the cruise.

19 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Just a reality check. What if there is never a safe/effective vaccine for COVID-19?    

Hank

Well, then people who can tolerate the virus will dominate society and those who can't will cower at home until they succumb.

Aren't you glad that you asked this question on a cruise forum?

igraf

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Roz said:

• How will it be administered?  At mass clinics similar to what we did with the polio vaccine?  In our area they would set up clinics in the gym or cafeteria at a public school and just line us up and inject us, or later, give us a sugar cube in a tiny paper cup.  
  • Will there be groups who will be given priority for the vaccine? 
  • What documentation will be given to individuals who receive the vaccine, especially if administered in mass clinics? 

Public health seemed more coordinated in the days of polio and measles vaccines.  Hopefully the administration will have it’s act together in the coming year and be able to assure the safety and availability of vaccines and/or cures.  This is an election year. 

3 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

Public health seemed more coordinated in the days of polio and measles vaccines.  Hopefully the administration will have it’s act together in the coming year and be able to assure the safety and availability of vaccines and/or cures.  This is an election year. 

I won’t hold my breath 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 1:47 PM, crusinbanjo said:

Ok I have been reading about cruise lines coming back and starting up and lots of medical evaluations before you can board yadda, yadda, yadda.  

So let’s do a what if. What if I book my cruise, make all my payments, get to the dock and am denied boarding because the medical examiner thinks I might be a risk, for whatever reason.  Does the cruise line refund my fare and return me home?  Or do they just keep my money and leave me crying portside?  What about Mrs Banjo?  Would she need to decide to cruise solo or loose the money we paid for her fare?

i am asking in all seriousness, because I have 2 cruises booked, one in September and another in January, that could Potentially put Mrs Banjo and I in this situation.  

Not only will HAL keep your money and leave you crying portside. They will gather the crew and point and laugh at you while shouting "No Refund!!! No Refund!!!"

WOuld Mrs. BAnjo cruise solo if she could? That is the bigger question.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

In 1960 (about the time that polio and measles vaccines started to be given), the US population was 180 million. Now it is an estimated 330 million.

I doubt we have nearly twice as many public health workers now, to organize such a massive undertaking.

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

In 1960 (about the time that polio and measles vaccines started to be given), the US population was 180 million. Now it is an estimated 330 million.

I doubt we have nearly twice as many public health workers now, to organize such a massive undertaking.

In our community, the Co. Health Dept. recruited local pharmacists and nurses.  I know this because my mother volunteered to assist.  If a vaccine is developed for COVID-19 it needs to be widely available in order to be effective.  When the polio vaccine was rolled out, it was given to everyone who wanted it regardless of their socio-economic status.  

• Like 1

I wonder what will be considered an "effective COVID-19 vaccine"?  I think most people are assuming 100% effective.  Do you realize the current 2019 influenza vaccine is only 45% effective overall?  It is 50% effective for the influenza B virus and only 37% effective for the influenza A virus (H1N1).  I get a flu shot every Fall, but I know that the effectiveness varies yearly, and that I could still come down with it after a vaccination.

I'm not aware of any vaccine that is 100% effective, so I wouldn't expect one for COVID-19 to be either.  Maybe it would lessen the severity if one did contract it after being vaccinated.

Edited by Roz

On 5/22/2020 at 12:45 PM, Shmoo here said:

In the past, it's my understanding, if you were denied boarding for medical reasons, you'd be out of luck, unless you have travel insurance that covers it.  The Mrs., if cleared, chooses whether to take the cruise or lose the fare by not boarding.  Don't know if that would also be covered by insurance, but maybe, depending on what your particular policy says.

I don't know if the current situation will change any of that.

I would advise buying travel insurance for any upcoming cruises. I hadn't heard that about diabetes. The wife would have really enjoyed the extra room in the cabin. 

23 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Well, if there is vaccine I am quite sure if you want to board a ship you have to show a certificat that you got it . Not vaccinated- no boarding.

Similar to needing a Yellow Fever vaccination certificate to board a cruise to Brazil.

• Like 1