What happens then.........?

crusinbanjo

Ok I have been reading about cruise lines coming back and starting up and lots of medical evaluations before you can board yadda, yadda, yadda.  

So let’s do a what if. What if I book my cruise, make all my payments, get to the dock and am denied boarding because the medical examiner thinks I might be a risk, for whatever reason.  Does the cruise line refund my fare and return me home?  Or do they just keep my money and leave me crying portside?  What about Mrs Banjo?  Would she need to decide to cruise solo or loose the money we paid for her fare?

i am asking in all seriousness, because I have 2 cruises booked, one in September and another in January, that could Potentially put Mrs Banjo and I in this situation.  

4 minutes ago, crusinbanjo said:

Ok I have been reading about cruise lines coming back and starting up and lots of medical evaluations before you can board yadda, yadda, yadda.  

So let’s do a what if. What if I book my cruise, make all my payments, get to the dock and am denied boarding because the medical examiner thinks I might be a risk, for whatever reason.  Does the cruise line refund my fare and return me home?  Or do they just keep my money and leave me crying portside?  What about Mrs Banjo?  Would she need to decide to cruise solo or loose the money we paid for her fare?

i am asking in all seriousness, because I have 2 cruises booked, one in September and another in January, that could Potentially put Mrs Banjo and I in this situation.  

The only example I can add is an article about what happened to some Carnival customers on the last sailing of the Fantasy before the shutdown in March - sorry though, it doesn't explain if Carnival reimbursed and helped with arrangements home, etc.

"The customers, many who came from other states, say they were not allowed to board because of underlying health issues, including diabetes.

“It’s just sad because there’s nothing we can do about it,” said Ashley Maynor, who was one of many who were told they couldn’t board the ship due to underlying health issues.

Maynor says she and her group came from Illinois to cruise out of Mobile, she says they weren’t told they couldn’t board because of the underlying health issue until 9:30 p.m. and weren’t given a hotel room until at least 7 hours later. She had six people in her group, four didn’t get on the ship, two did. She says those two tried to get off the ship, but couldn’t because of long lines at the guest services desks.

“We did typical protocol, got our luggage out, went through security, everything was good to go. Come to find out that they tagged 80 passengers on the boat and they knew from this morning or yesterday morning that those passengers were not going to be allowed to board,” said Maynor.

The ship left after midnight.

She says she was one of the dozens turned away because of some new guidelines from the cruise line in response to COVID-19 concerns. One person in her party has diabetes, and she says they couldn’t leave her behind.

“We just go on our merry way. We go back home, not much else we can do,” said Maynor".

https://www.wkrg.com/mobile-county/carnival-passengers-say-they-were-denied-boarding-due-to-existing-conditions/

The person mentions "they weren't given a hotel room until at least seven hours later" so it does sound like Carnival might have paid for that? I wish she would have followed with a statement about reimbursement, but maybe by omission that meant that they were going to be reimbursed, because surely she would have been irate about that!

Remember that this happened when everything was ending and all being rushed into practice at that time, so hopefully incidents like this will not happen in the future, and you will know you will be able to board before heading to the ship. Best of luck on your cruises!

29 minutes ago, crusinbanjo said:

Well, forget about the one in Sept. that's not going to happen, and you may have to wait for 60 to 90 days for a refund..

HAL would have to refund all you paid them, including FlightEase, since this would be their call.   I expect ships won't be sailing until they get this figured out,  post it on their websites and include it in pax's documentation.

Without any problems herself, Mrs Banjo could possibly board and have a miserable time without you :)

September is likely very iffy, a noted. I suppose it would depend where the cruise goes. 

Edited by SilvertoGold

31 minutes ago, crusinbanjo said:

That’s why I won’t cruise until there is a vaccine.  Don’t make the final payment for the September cruise and carefully consider whether to make the final payment for January when it comes due.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, crusinbanjo said:

In the past, it's my understanding, if you were denied boarding for medical reasons, you'd be out of luck, unless you have travel insurance that covers it.  The Mrs., if cleared, chooses whether to take the cruise or lose the fare by not boarding.  Don't know if that would also be covered by insurance, but maybe, depending on what your particular policy says.

I don't know if the current situation will change any of that.

Edited by Shmoo here

1 hour ago, crusinbanjo said:

What if I book my cruise, make all my payments, get to the dock and am denied boarding because the medical examiner thinks I might be a risk, for whatever reason.  

Well, if the Medical Examiner is the one assessing you at the dock, something went terribly wrong on your way there.  :classic_tongue:

• Like 9
  • Haha 9

I would imagine the insurance companies are taking a good long look at a lot of these issues and will likely come up with new coverages. That would include how single supplements would be handled should 1 member of a double occupancy booking does decide to sail.

I was booked for an early April departure. I received an email directly from HAL (having booked with a TA) sometime late February stating anyone who had symptoms or had been in contact with someone isolated or quarantined would be denied boarding and given a refund. Things were happening rapidly then, but that would likely be part of the response to your scenario.

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

That’s why I won’t cruise until there is a vaccine.  Don’t make the final payment for the September cruise and carefully consider whether to make the final payment for January when it comes due.

Just a reality check. What if there is never a safe/effective vaccine for COVID-19?    

Hank

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

I’m pretty sure RCL states that if you are denied boarding, all your cruise payments will be returned. It doesn’t mention transportation. I’m guessing you would be on your own planning it and paying for it.

That would sure be a shocker for folks embarking from far flung ports like Yokohama, Singapore, et.

Hank

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Just a reality check. What if there is never a safe/effective vaccine for COVID-19?    

Hank

Excellent point. As has been pointed out in many discussions, many diseases never get vaccines. Some diseases take 10  or more years to get a vaccine. And some, like the flu, are very seasonal...you need a shot every year. And certainly, what about new diseases that arise next week, month or year?

28 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

If there is no vaccine I’ll just have to take my chances.  I’m looking forward to Alaska next year in June although I won’t book until   2021.    I also have the option of booking a “last minute” 2021 Mexican Riviera cruise out of San Diego with no flight involved if I just can’t wait for June!  

Edited by oaktreerb
  • Like 1

Happen to me during SARS.  Refused boarding in Hawaii because of 99 Degree temperature.  It's a long complicated story but the bottom line I was refunded for the cruise, they paid hotels charges and transportation and flown home.  Now this was 2003.   Also prior to the shutdown we had many conditions on a cruise to depart out of Dubai in early March. (that never went) Basically, Celebrity said those that did not pass the medical checks would be denied boarding and refunded. 

46 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Excellent point! Even when a vaccine is developed and available, there are plenty of people, unfortunately, that don't believe in vaccines. There is currently a strong come back of measles in this country for that very reason and immigration here.

• Like 1

My question is, if they suspect COVID-19, do they notify the local or state health dept.?  And if so, are you allowed to fly home or are you put in quarantine?  Who pays for this?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JimnKaren said:

Maybe book a cruise from Boston, then if you are denied boarding, you just drive back home!

Jim

We would do that, we have done it many times.  It sure beats going through airports!

• Like 1

Another thought---what if your Mrs. decided to take the cruise without you. Would they now charge her the single supplement and that would wipe out any refund you had coming (except for port charges.)?

44 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Another thought---what if your Mrs. decided to take the cruise without you. Would they now charge her the single supplement and that would wipe out any refund you had coming (except for port charges.)?

Just another thought!  If that became a practice how many passengers would offer a bribe to the medical person to reject them for boarding :).

Hank

P.S.  Please accept my post with the intended humor,  These days we all need a few laughs.

• Haha 3

No one knows what would happen in this situation.  We can speculate all we want about what should happen, but we simply do not know how any cruise line will respond to this situation.  These are the risks that you assume when you book cruises prior to cruise lines providing their plans prior to sailing.

• Like 2