Fain says early cruises will be at reduced capacity

39august

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

On most decks on most ships the stern cabins are accessible whichever way you approach them; no dead end. I agree that on some decks on some ships the forward cabins are sometimes on dead ends, and the passageway fro those cabins would have to be two way. Nevertheless, the overall concept of one way traffic is a good one, IMO, and certainly possible to implement. FWIW, the local grocer was one of the first to introduce one way traffic, but the configuration of the store doesn't lend itself to 100% unidirectional travel. The minor exceptions don't negate the benefits of the overall traffic flow.

Boy I hope you're wrong.  It can be a really long way from one end of the ship to the other and if you have to sometimes go half-way around a different direction that could make it really long, on S class in particular.  The bottom line is, unfortunately, there is really no good way to social distance on a cruise ship so these kind of changes would bring minimal protection at best I think.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I'd think they'd also want to take into consideration people who used an FCC on the cruise - having already been disappointed in the original cancellation, it would NOT be good optics to cancel a second cruise on them as long as cruises are going and would likely result in even higher credit being given for a future cruise if the passenger even wanted to try again.

Maybe, but with their computer systems can you actually see them able to make this determination?

12 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Boy I hope you're wrong.  It can be a really long way from one end of the ship to the other and if you have to sometimes go half-way around a different direction that could make it really long, on S class in particular.  The bottom line is, unfortunately, there is really no good way to social distance on a cruise ship so these kind of changes would bring minimal protection at best I think.

LOL. Given the many other places aboard where social distancing would vary from difficult to impossible, I'm really not suggesting that passageways become one way. Any earlier poster suggested it, and another said that it was impossible. I was responding to the latter, pointing out that IMO it is indeed possible to implement, but I'm not trying to promote it. 

Now, about those mandatory masks... :classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Bill Miller said:

What, Me worry?

I volunteer to sail as soon as the cruise lines are ready. I choose not to live in fear. 

(Oh boy, I'm sure I'll be in trouble after this post.)

grocery asile jail.jpg

That’s just being selfish. If you don’t care about yourself that’s one thing, but what about your family, your friends, your neighbors and any other innocent bystander you might come in contact with? Just because it doesn’t affect you doesn’t mean you can’t infect others as a carrier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Impossible? Not at all. You would always walk in the same direction, either clockwise or counter-clockwise. Walk forward on the port side, for example, and walk aft on the starboard side.

This is silly,  it isn't going to happen anyway. Many times during a week on a cruise you will be passing other passengers going in the opposite direction, for instance entering places like washrooms with only one door or the shops with only one door.

We aren't cruising anyway until there's a shot or vaccine so I guess for us it's a moot point.

"That's just being selfish" is a political statement that is used to try and shame folks that you disagree with. 

Celebrity will not sail until they feel things are safe.

Florida is opening up and people are enjoying life again.  

If you don't feel safe, stay home. That's your prerogative.

Wishing you a Bon Voyage!

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Maybe, but with their computer systems can you actually see them able to make this determination?

There is likely some code that indicates the reservations with an FCC. I choose to think positively rather than go through life always expecting the worst.

On 5/23/2020 at 6:57 AM, jojo1966 said:

genuine question - do people really think that you can catch the virus just  by walking past someone in the space of 2 seconds?????

Yes, if they happen to cough, but it's unlikely.  The newest studies show that viral load has a significant impact on infection rate.  

Just curious...after reading the full transcript, where does Fain say ships will sail at reduced capacity?  I saw where he stated that the cruise line, as a whole, .will not sail at full capacity. But where does he reference individual sailings?

For overbooked sailings that they are going to have to bump people from to be able to sail at reduced capacity I think they will contract with the Move-Up vendor to create a bidding app to see how much extra you will pay to not get bumped 🙂

After observing the lack of social distancing in our area, and the folks who say they refuse to obey the directional rules in the store or wear masks, it sounds like a nightmare for a cruise line to implement corridor rules and controls. We obey the rules and stay away from people, but I watch others in the neighborhood and on social media who do not. I have also heard the same folks say that the virus is not dangerous. 

Edited by Glendakayself
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Glendakayself said:

We obey the rules and stay away from people, but I watch others in the neighborhood and on social media who do not. I have also heard the same folks say that the virus is not dangerous. 

Thank you for obeying the rules (or, 'suggestions' as some people take them).

I keep seeing news reports of people that are disregarding the rules and then having outbreaks of the virus. And yet they won't change their thinking.
I can't imagine how hard it is to be a health care professional and having to risk your life over somebody that doesn't 'believe' this is serious.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The biggest threat for the cruiselines will not be COVID-19 or any other virus it's the people who are not and also will not obey the rules and take care of their personal hygiene. If we could relly that each passenger on a cruise would do so, crusing could start in a month or so without an issue, but this is not the case. Hence whatever safety precaucions the cruiselines will take, without each passenger taking care of their personal hygiene and obeying the rules they can only pray that non of their vessels will be hit with an outbreak. This is also one of the reasons why it might take longer for cruises or at least for certain cruiselines before they will start up operations again as no one can afford to be in the media with one of their ships that suffered again an outbreak of COVID-19.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

For overbooked sailings that they are going to have to bump people from to be able to sail at reduced capacity I think they will contract with the Move-Up vendor to create a bidding app to see how much extra you will pay to not get bumped 🙂

That would be the apex of insanity. 😉

Edited by ECCruise
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

The biggest threat for the cruiselines will not be COVID-19 or any other virus it's the people who are not and also will not obey the rules and take care of their personal hygiene. If we could relly that each passenger on a cruise would do so, crusing could start in a month or so without an issue, but this is not the case. Hence whatever safety precaucions the cruiselines will take, without each passenger taking care of their personal hygiene and obeying the rules they can only pray that non of their vessels will be hit with an outbreak. This is also one of the reasons why it might take longer for cruises or at least for certain cruiselines before they will start up operations again as no one can afford to be in the media with one of their ships that suffered again an outbreak of COVID-19.

Yep.

People cannot follow the most basic of guidelines.  Like washing your hands after using the toilet.  Using the sanitizer when entering a dining facility.

If they did follow basic hygiene, there would never be a Norovirus outbreak.  The fact that there have been on probably 25% of our cruises tells the story.  People are just slobs, frankly.  Bad enough when you get stomach problems for 48 hours.  Way worse when you consider the effects of this disease.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

And a huge way for the cruise line to lose passengers current AND future.

I was joking people.  Hence the emoji.   I'm sure whatever they end up doing will upset some and they will never sail with Celebrity again.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Glendakayself said:

After observing the lack of social distancing in our area, and the folks who say they refuse to obey the directional rules in the store or wear masks, it sounds like a nightmare for a cruise line to implement corridor rules and controls. We obey the rules and stay away from people, but I watch others in the neighborhood and on social media who do not. I have also heard the same folks say that the virus is not dangerous. 

You are so right.....people ignore the one-way signs in the grocery store, many don't wear masks, and I'm thinking we'll encounter these folks on the next cruise too.   Sad.

This thread amazes me. 

What Richard Fain said was he expects early cruises to sail at less than full capacity.  He didn't say if this means the overall capacity of the corporation, the capacity of individual lines, or of individual ships.

Then posters here have come up with which cruises constitute "early cruises", what numbers this reduction means, how poor the service will be due to reduced staffing, how the cruise lines will reach those numbers, which passengers will be bumped from cruises and how the unfair treatment this creates should be compensated. 

Bravo Cruise Critizens!  🙂

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 2

Some people will never follow the rules because the rules do not pertain to them!  I do not cruise until a year from today, and that cruise is in the Galapagos.  I canceled my three cruises for this year, so no worries but some sadness.  I am not going back to Europe until Sept. of 2021.  I think that trial and error may be in the big picture for quite a while, but would also venture to guess that no one wants the headlines about a cruise ship linked with a Covid-19 outbreak.  If the towel/lounger rules cannot be enforced, imagine how difficult the rest of the ship will be...TBD

44 minutes ago, omeinv said:

This thread amazes me. 

What Richard Fain said was he expects early cruises to sail at less than full capacity.  He didn't say if this means the overall capacity of the corporation, the capacity of individual lines, or of individual ships.

Then posters here have come up with which cruises constitute "early cruises", what numbers this reduction means, how poor the service will be due to reduced staffing, how the cruise lines will reach those numbers, which passengers will be bumped from cruises and how the unfair treatment this creates should be compensated. 

Harris

Denver, CO

I agree that very few of the comments deal with what Fain actually said. He did not say cruises would be reduced capacity as far as I could see. What he said is that the CRUISE LINES would not be at capacity. He mentioned fewer, smaller ships at the start. Fewer, smaller ships does not equate to reduced capacity on a ship.

• Thanks 1

On 5/22/2020 at 3:33 PM, 39august said:

Just watched the Fain Csnbc interview. Most of the answers dodged the questions, understandably as no hard and fast plans have been formulated yet. But he did state that early cruises would be at reduced capacity. The interviewer stated she had been on Oasis, so knew the challenge there. We are booked on a late Nov.-Dec. cruise on Reflection in a suite. This may be among those early cruises. I am wondering how X will limit the number of pax. I believe the ship is fairly well sold at this point.  My guess is that the most expensive cabins will be allowed and the least delayed and given some sort of incentive to more to a different cruise.

Where in the interview does Fain say ships will sail at reduced capacity? 

8 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Some people will never follow the rules because the rules do not pertain to them!  I do not cruise until a year from today, and that cruise is in the Galapagos.  I canceled my three cruises for this year, so no worries but some sadness.  I am not going back to Europe until Sept. of 2021.  I think that trial and error may be in the big picture for quite a while, but would also venture to guess that no one wants the headlines about a cruise ship linked with a Covid-19 outbreak.  If the towel/lounger rules cannot be enforced, imagine how difficult the rest of the ship will be...TBD

The cruise lines may not care about towels and loungers, but they are petrified over their shaky financial condition.   They are fighting to hang on until sailing resumes and cannot afford any possibility of new onboard outbreaks triggering a second shutdown.  Therefore expect them to vigorously enforce whatever health related rules they come up with.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, omeinv said:

This thread amazes me. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Pope was right: A little learning is a dangerous thing.