How About a Cruise With No Ports for Safety

cruzsnooze

14 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Exactly what part of the paradigm would you expect to change that would be a help for the cruise industry?  Serious question.

13 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

RKA seems to think that changing the PVSA will help the cruise industry. But I think RKA is thinking long term, strategically, and that the pandemic opens the opportunity. 

The fate of the current cruise industry now is tied the course of the pandemic. Making changes to the PVSA is not going to help with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Charles4515 is correct in what I am thinking.  Long term?  I would hope not.  Something needs to happen sooner than later.  

It seems to be me that regulations/rules/laws--whatever--that prevent Cruises to Nowhere or a cruise from Honolulu to Juneau or whatever itinerary which is such a now forbidden itinerary could be changed.

I am arguing for "thinking outside of the box" by the Executives of the cruise industry and by the political leadership in the States and the Nation whose citizens would be once again be gainfully employed because they are employees of a Port Agent whose services would be required by a ship sailing from San Francisco to Los Angeles and Catalina Island, etc.  What would the spillover of such an itinerary be for all of the services needed to support such an itinerary?  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Charles4515 is correct in what I am thinking.  Long term?  I would hope not.  Something needs to happen sooner than later.  

It seems to be me that regulations/rules/laws--whatever--that prevent Cruises to Nowhere or a cruise from Honolulu to Juneau or whatever itinerary which is such a now forbidden itinerary could be changed.

I am arguing for "thinking outside of the box" by the Executives of the cruise industry and by the political leadership in the States and the Nation whose citizens would be once again be gainfully employed because they are employees of a Port Agent whose services would be required by a ship sailing from San Francisco to Los Angeles and Catalina Island, etc.  What would the spillover of such an itinerary be for all of the services needed to support such an itinerary?  

Considering that California is closing down bars, restaurants, and other businesses, I doubt that getting cruise ships sailing out of LA and SF are very high on the states list of priorities.  I also do not expect that Hawaii and Alaska would want cruises from California anytime in the near future (PVSA or not).

• Like 2

On 5/23/2020 at 7:05 PM, rkacruiser said:

Where do I sign up for such a cruise?

Interesting, there has been on other Message Boards discussions about this possibility.  If enough potential cruisers want such, it might just happen.  Business models for many industries are going to be changing as a result of this virus.

Remember, Cunard once had a very well-known slogan, "Getting there is half the fun."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

A 15 minute test is widely available if you are willing to pay the price.  If Cruise Lines want to entertain such a cruise, they would need to use those 15 minute tests and allow for full refunds for anyone that tests positive.  If the cost was right, I'd sure entertain the possibility.

These 15 minute tests are known to be accurate if the result is positive, but can up to a 50% error rate when a negative result is reported.

20 hours ago, npcl said:

Considering that California is closing down bars, restaurants, and other businesses, I doubt that getting cruise ships sailing out of LA and SF are very high on the states list of priorities.  I also do not expect that Hawaii and Alaska would want cruises from California anytime in the near future (PVSA or not).

Do not disagree with your comment at all.  There needs to be a major change in direction in societal behavior related to the course of this disease as well as some success in finding an effective way of controlling the virus.  If this does not happen, as a usual "glass is half full" person, I fear my glass labeled "cruise industry and hospitality industry" will be empty.  

57 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

There needs to be a major change in direction in societal behavior related to the course of this disease as well as some success in finding an effective way of controlling the virus. 

Tell that to the young idiots in Alabama with their "Let's invite a confirmed Covid infected person to our party, drink massive quantities of alcohol with no masks or social distancing and give the first newly infected person the pot of money we collected."

This type of thinking gives me zero hope for the future and will unfortunately possibly have a trickle down effect that will cause my January cruise to be cancelled because of the rampant spikes in the under 30 crowd.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Tell that to the young idiots in Alabama with their "Let's invite a confirmed Covid infected person to our party, drink massive quantities of alcohol with no masks or social distancing and give the first newly infected person the pot of money we collected."

This type of thinking gives me zero hope for the future and will unfortunately possibly have a trickle down effect that will cause my January cruise to be cancelled because of the rampant spikes in the under 30 crowd.

And the scary thing is, it will probably not end there in Alabama.  I guess college students, mostly young adults, are not known to suffer the most severe consequences from this illness (for the most part).  I can only think they are going for that herd immunity or, maybe it is more along the lines of eating tide pods as a challenge.  Who knows?  The brain certainly is not fully developed and when alcohol is added to the mix, well, they engage is reckless behavior.  It will only ensure this lockdown will remain in place for a long long time!  

This thread is 13 pages long and I have not taken the time to read that many posts, so maybe my suggestion has already been proposed - sorry if that is the case.

But to restart cruising in a "safer environment" that still contains port stops, what if all the cruise lines got together and shared their private islands so that each cruise line made stops at Harvest Cay, Princess Cays, CoCo Cay, Half Moon Cay, Labadee etc.  It wouldn't have the freedom and options of regular port stops, but for a start, it would do and we would sail on such an itinerary, just to get away and enjoy a few beach days along with a cruise.

Don

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mud_Shark said:

This thread is 13 pages long and I have not taken the time to read that many posts, so maybe my suggestion has already been proposed - sorry if that is the case.

But to restart cruising in a "safer environment" that still contains port stops, what if all the cruise lines got together and shared their private islands so that each cruise line made stops at Harvest Cay, Princess Cays, CoCo Cay, Half Moon Cay, Labadee etc.  It wouldn't have the freedom and options of regular port stops, but for a start, it would do and we would sail on such an itinerary, just to get away and enjoy a few beach days along with a cruise.

Don

That would still require the okay of the governments of the Bahamas and Haiti, as those "private islands" are still part of their countries.

• Like 1

And what if a case of the virus is discovered on the ship while cruising to these islands?  Who would then want to let them back into port with all that is going on these days?  Can the cruise lines actually provide the resources to quaritne the thousands of passengers on these private "islands"?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

And the scary thing is, it will probably not end there in Alabama.  I guess college students, mostly young adults, are not known to suffer the most severe consequences from this illness (for the most part).  I can only think they are going for that herd immunity or, maybe it is more along the lines of eating tide pods as a challenge.  Who knows?  The brain certainly is not fully developed and when alcohol is added to the mix, well, they engage is reckless behavior.  It will only ensure this lockdown will remain in place for a long long time!  

I agree with your post.  I wish to add that there has been a failure on the part of our country's current oldest generations to provide the proper moral education, civic education, and our country's historical education to those much younger than we are.  

Yes, inculcating our Nation's values into the current generation has always been open to debate as to what those values are or should be.  Many young people have a sense of invincibility; that is to be expected.  That's part of "growing up" for some.  But, now, I believe, we are witnessing the failure of proper moral, civic, and historical education added to the "natural" rebelliousness of some young people (and maybe as well as those who aren't so young anymore) that is becoming a serious threat to our Country.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I can only think they are going for that herd immunity

I had a rather shocking conversation yesterday with an educated friend of mine.  He is of the view that this pandemic will last half a decade or more.  Darwin's Survival of the Fittest theory will come into play until herd immunity is achieved on a worldwide basis.

If such transpires, I am not sure I want to be part of such a society.    

55 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I had a rather shocking conversation yesterday with an educated friend of mine.  He is of the view that this pandemic will last half a decade or more.  Darwin's Survival of the Fittest theory will come into play until herd immunity is achieved on a worldwide basis.

If such transpires, I am not sure I want to be part of such a society.    

Interesting times ... that is for sure!  We keep hearing that the promise of a vaccine is on the horizon ... but do we believe anybody at this point?  

Interesting times ... that is for sure!  We keep hearing that the promise of a vaccine is on the horizon ... but do we believe anybody at this point?  

There will be multiple vaccines It will be hard figure out which one to take.

8 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

There will be multiple vaccines It will be hard figure out which one to take.

You are more hopeful than I am as to vaccines.  

You are more hopeful than I am as to vaccines.  

The biggest problem will be getting people to take a vaccine. The most effective ones may cause some unpleasant reactions in some people for a day.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The biggest problem will be getting people to take a vaccine. The most effective ones may cause some unpleasant reactions in some people for a day.

A very small price to pay to be able to go cruising safely again and be able to breath normally instead of through a mask.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The biggest problem will be getting people to take a vaccine.

Would not be surprised if such happens.  The United States has managed to develop in the age of STEM education a very significant ignorant part of our population that rejects what they should have learned.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

Well Princess said that people would be refunded within 60 days of their cancelations so I am sure it is true.....plus it is just supposed to disappear on its own so why the vaccines?

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I think there will be enough people that would more than welcome the vaccine.  You'd only need a certain percentage to create herd immunity once there is an effective vaccine.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Absolutely!  I believe the doctors and scientists and virologists working round.  Science is real and based in reality.

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 1

I think there will be enough people that would more than welcome the vaccine.  You'd only need a certain percentage to create herd immunity once there is an effective vaccine.  

Yes, I think there will be enough people who will take a vaccine.

• Like 1

Whichever one is covered by Medicare.  

I got the flu vaccine provided free for 30 years at work as we were considered essential. Free certainly was an encouragement. I expect that many employers will pay for a Covid vaccine for their workers when one becomes available.