What kind of reaction do you expect from your family and friends when you tell them you are on one of the first cruises?

For those of us who intend to cruise soon after it resumes, have you thought about what you are likely to hear from your family and friends when you tell them?  I don’t expect good wishes from everyone, at the very least.  Maybe not anyone!  I am thinking about telling my sister, so somebody in the family knows where to reach me in case of emergency, but not mentioning it to my adult sons until I return.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

For those of us who intend to cruise soon after it resumes, have you thought about what you are likely to hear from your family and friends when you tell them?  I don’t expect good wishes from everyone, at the very least.  Maybe not anyone!  I am thinking about telling my sister, so somebody in the family knows where to reach me in case of emergency, but not mentioning it to my adult sons until I return.

Why the secrecy? Would you not go if they were concerned? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, suzyluvs2cruise said:

I would go anyway.  I don’t want to have to explain what will be done to make cruising safer, I prefer to tell them about it after the fact, when I can describe what was done.  

My cousin who says do you want to die every time I mention opening the economy has already washed his hands of me. He says cruising is the last thing he wants to do. Cousins kid says she has PTSD and cant stand crowds when I said hey you could come with me.

No one but me wants to cruise even when it was normal times. I'm sure it will go over big with my parents. I dropped by earlier and I walked out. My dad kept repeating wash your hands, hes very deaf, so didnt matter I said anything, wash your hands.

Cant wait to tell people lol

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Well in my case if my dad especially knows he will worry endlessly. Better he doesnt know and just tell my mom. One worrying is enough. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i like your thread, it's a topic i have thought of many times the last few months.

I have people in my life that love to cruise and are scared to go out for even essentials.

Other people in my life who, have never cruised and didn't see the appeal BEFORE.

But to answer your question, I don't know , I am in a wait and see mode.

My family totally knows how we feel about cruising so they all know we are going the minute we can.  in addition, no one in my family has been paranoid about the virus.  We have all kept to our normal lives as much as we were allowed - going to the stores, going on walks, etc.  They knew we hit the beach the minute it was open in SWFL, went out to lunch the first day restaurants were open, etc

So no one in my family is concerned at all that we are going on the first cruise we possibly can.  They know we are going and nothing will stop us from going as soon as we are allowed to go.  Have one for August 3rd booked now, and even though all the Doomsayers want to kill my hope and positive attitude, I won't let them.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Family and Friends will call us reckless and crazy for cruising again.

I've lost track of the times we've been told that cruises are a waste of money! I tell them it's our money to waste and their opinion doesn't matter until we ask them to lend us the money to go!

• Like 5

Not family and friends, but when I told my boss that I have 4 cruises booked in the next 12 months they said two things - 1) what if you have to quarantine after you get back, and 2) what if you have to be on the ship longer than expected.

I just smiled and said “Those would be bonuses, I wouldn’t be at work.”

Conversation ended.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I succumbed to our adult children and grandchildren’s nagging and cancelled. Our March cruise  three days before Royal did. That cost is an extra 25% on our FCCs. 

I gave rebooked us for Feb of 21 and I already told the family I don’t want to hear about it. I said they can set up a group text and talk away. 

2 hours ago, Icesk8rReedy said:

With how I am, no one dares says anything to me.  They know I will clap back with some comment and they don't want to get in it with me 🙂

Lol my parents live near me, thanks good we dont live together. I didnt mention my parents are 94 and 101. My deaf dad just keeps talking at me, cant hear a word I say. He is sure the hearing aide doctor switched out his hearing aid when he sent it off to get fixed. Hes complained several times if the dallas  morning news doesnt quit shrinking the size of the newsprint he is going to stop subscribing.

Lol please dont wish it on me he finds out why I'm gone. He cant hear tv news so he gets all his virus news from the newspaper. He read we might have a food shortage and told me to go out and buy canned peaches, so I did. We are set for anything the virus brings. They havent left their house since this started. We are so grateful they live in a big house and not in assisted living.

Tell my dad? Nope nope nope, not me. My dad really would worry a lot about me. 

• Like 1

My family knows I love to cruise and trust that I will be careful. I'm not one to take high risks, so when I go on a cruise again I will assess the risk.  My next cruise is in September and I will see how it goes.  My only concern about contracting the virus is passing it on to my dad.  If need be, I will have no contact with him for 14 days when I get home from the cruise like I did when I got home from my cruise in March.  Life goes on and I won't spend it locked in my house.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have decided that if coworkers or friends decide to go away I am going to be supportive of their choice and just encourage them to be cautious....and also to tell me ALL about it!

If we did go on a cruise before a vaccine we would definitely tell family and work and deal with the consequences.   Should we get sick and decline rapidly - I would not want it to be a surprise that I died on a cruise ship!!    

I don’t anticipate the cruise restriction from my office being lifted soon either...we will need to quarantine/ work from home for 2 weeks after our trips....but since we are working from home for another year anyway..it’s not THAT big a deal!   They don’t have any rules about us traveling to Disney though...which seems equally risky for us...

• Like 1

My Wife and son will be cruising with me and my older sister is aware of my cruise plans.

We might not let MIL know where we are going due to her retirement home residency and their paranoia re: cruise viruses.  They seem to believe that their residents can get the virus because of where their relatives are.  We will self quarantine post cruise assuming a cruise actually happens.  Last 4 have been canceled, got 5 booked in the next 9 months.

I do let my sister know when a cancellation happens just to reduce any worries she may have.

If you're going to hop back on the ship as soon as you can, make sure you, your family and friends, neighbors, and all innocent bystanders, have their affairs in order, in case it's too soon. They shouldn't rush it, if there is a relapse, or a second wave of the virus and cruises have to shutdown for another four months or so, they'll never survive it with all the debt they already have.

Don't come back crying if it happens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been on around 35 cruises, and if I would choose to go when they start up I'm sure all of my family would say NO. That being said, I personally don't want to be one of those doing the testing. I love cruising but don't want to take the chance of being quarantined in my cabin for 14 days so I will just wait it out for a while. I have several offers for comp'd cruises but I'm going to pass on them!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

If you're going to hop back on the ship as soon as you can, make sure you, your family and friends, neighbors, and all innocent bystanders, have their affairs in order, in case it's too soon. They shouldn't rush it, if there is a relapse, or a second wave of the virus and cruises have to shutdown for another four months or so, they'll never survive it with all the debt they already have.

Don't come back crying if it happens.

If you are concerned, please take all precautions you see fit, good luck.

Now, back on topic......my neighbors are already asking when we will be going again so they can join us.

• Like 3

My friend thought I was nuts going on my last cruise back in February, before the world fell apart.

She did not know that I had one planned to take her in October.  I cancelled her and am taking my husband instead😇 

If it sails

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Great question/topic....hadn’t crossed my mind.

I, for the most part, could care less what other people think....so if I do tell someone that we’re going cruising, I’m not the type to anxiously await their approval before I make my decision. 

• Like 2