Do you want cruising to return to what it was?

9 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Both of my daughters are teachers and they cruise on the February school break.

We upstate have not had that break for a long, long time. Instead a lot of snow days (actually emergency days as the high school in my wife's district is sometimes closed for no electricity) are added to the required days. If not used, there are extra days off added around the spring break or Memorial Day weekend. All the districts are geographically large and very dependent on busing, so bad weather causes closings.

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

Same here.  Being able to use the gym every day and keeping active I always manage to lose a few.  I'm not a light eater but don't over do it either.  That is one of the things I hated about this stay in place order.  I was way too lazy.  Only have myself to blame.  

On my last cruise that I never should have gone on because I could barely walk I also could not go to the gym that much and tried to eat as healthy as possible.

Currently I am  in bed 21 hours a day and get very little exercise but I am eating as healthy as possible and have not gained any weight.

14 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Both of my daughters are teachers and they cruise on the February school break.

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

We upstate have not had that break for a long, long time. Instead a lot of snow days (actually emergency days as the high school in my wife's district is sometimes closed for no electricity) are added to the required days. If not used, there are extra days off added around the spring break or Memorial Day weekend. All the districts are geographically large and very dependent on busing, so bad weather causes closings.

Shoot, when I was a kid I had to walk to school barefoot in the snow -- uphill both ways too.  😃

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

Shoot, when I was a kid I had to walk to school barefoot in the snow -- uphill both ways too.  😃

When I was in HS I walked 3 miles to and from school but never barefoot.I had perfect attendance for all 3 years and still have the certificates,There was always a lot of snowy days.

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

When I was in HS I walked 3 miles to and from school but never barefoot.I had perfect attendance for all 3 years and still have the certificates,There was always a lot of snowy days.

Haha, I was speaking tongue-in-cheek.  Truth be told, we never had any snow here in central valley of California.  Wasn't hilly either!  

2 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Have you ever actually tried to speak when you have your tongue in your cheek?  🙂

Not before now!  Yikes! ifts  pweety hawd.  😃😃

Edited by ldubs
  • Haha 1

On 5/25/2020 at 1:26 PM, ontheweb said:

I can see where it theoretically cuts down on waste, but I know my DW always says that they give her much more of each salad ingredient than she would have taken herself. OTOH, not a lot of people lose weight on cruises like she generally does.

18 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I don't think the problem is how much they give, rather how little of each ingredient she wants. I think they don't give that much because you can always say a little more.

Let me give you a perspective on how little she eats. If I bring home a 6 inch sub from Subway, she will cut off a piece that day for dinner, and then do that again the next day. And then she will at some point ask me if I want the piece still left.

It's probably fair to say that your wife is not a typical cruiser. Over an average for a cruise, I would guess that the staff served buffet would cut down on waste. I've seen people load plates up as tall as they possibly can with food. Maybe some can eat all that, but I would think most can't. 

I'm unsure if I would like the staff served buffet idea. I like the sanitation part of it. But I'm someone who doesn't like my food to touch each other on the plate. So I like to use a large plate to make small piles. Not sure how well that would be communicated with a staff person dishing things out cafeteria style - unless they go to old school cafeteria trays where there are the little dips to separate everything 🙂 

• Haha 1

OK.  Looks like I'm the only one who wants cruising to return to what it was.  Truth be told, I want cruising to return to what is was 15 years ago.

I don't want prices to rise substantially.  I know they will because of the huge additional debt payments cruise lines have taken on, but I don't want significant additional price increases because ships are sailing at reduced capacity to accommodate social distancing. 

In the MDR I'd love 2-tops to be spaced 6 ft apart, but the ramifications of this would be unacceptable.  

I wouldn't mind buffets having servers, but not if re-configuring the space to accommodate servers resulted in greatly reduced food options.  Oh, and if buffet seating is spread out to accommodate social distancing,  just imagine how much less seating there will be.

I'd love more space between pool loungers, but not if it resulted in fewer loungers - which it would.  Just imagine how few there would be if loungers were spaced 6 ft apart!

No.  I don't want a new normal where the experience is severely degraded. While I'm not asking for it,  I realize I may get it anyway, and if I do I will re-evaluate the value of cruise vacations.  Be careful what you ask for😮

Edited by mnocket
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

The use of masks at those junctures is just window dressing and ineffective. Things are getting silly for mask use in a restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And you base that on what please?

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

It's probably fair to say that your wife is not a typical cruiser. Over an average for a cruise, I would guess that the staff served buffet would cut down on waste. I've seen people load plates up as tall as they possibly can with food. Maybe some can eat all that, but I would think most can't. 

I'm unsure if I would like the staff served buffet idea. I like the sanitation part of it. But I'm someone who doesn't like my food to touch each other on the plate. So I like to use a large plate to make small piles. Not sure how well that would be communicated with a staff person dishing things out cafeteria style - unless they go to old school cafeteria trays where there are the little dips to separate everything 🙂 

After being married to her for well over 40 years, I do kno wshe is not typical. Once when we were not married that long, I asked her if you could take a pill and get all your nutrition and not have to eat would you be pleased with that. At that point I was amazed by her enthusiastic yes answer.

Now getting to your buffet concerns, I think you would either have to take several small plates or go through the buffet several times to accomplish your food separation desires.

4 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

The use of masks at those junctures is just window dressing and ineffective. Things are getting silly for mask use in a restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Exactly. Make sure you wear you mask outside when moving, but hey, when inside and in constant presence of others, it’s ok to take it off. These mask preachers are getting ridiculous. 

54 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Once when we were not married that long, I asked her if you could take a pill and get all your nutrition and not have to eat would you be pleased with that. At that point I was amazed by her enthusiastic yes answer.

She eats to live and doesn't live to eat. Nothing wrong with that at all, IMO

1 hour ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Exactly. Make sure you wear you mask outside when moving, but hey, when inside and in constant presence of others, it’s ok to take it off. These mask preachers are getting ridiculous. 

Yeah, I'm scratching my head on that one too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dwight1 said:

On the fact you spend 98% of the time in a restaurant eating and drinking and don’t wear a mask unless you plan on swallowing the mask too. So the 2minutes out of an hour or more wearing some mask coming in and leaving really makes an impact. Simply silly and overdone. 

Except the only time you'll come in contact with anyone other than you're server is arriving and departing and going to the restroom. The servers and bartender were changing gloves constantly and wearing masks. 

So really your statement is simply your opinion. How you feel. Okey dokey.

2 hours ago, clo said:

She eats to live and doesn't live to eat. Nothing wrong with that at all, IMO

The problem arose when say people would invite us to eat with them and she would always feel pressured to eat. If it was at someone's house (as opposed to a restaurant) she would be afraid they would be insulted by her lack of eating. So we almost rarely got to have the experience of eating with friends.

19 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

Your not getting it. You can’t eat or drink with a mask which is 98% of your time in a restaurant not walking to your table or leaving; so why bother with that 2%. BTW in Virginia you don’t need to wear a mask outside. But as my area has had only 190 cases in over 3 months with a population of 80,000 it’s impact is negligible- .4%, a real pandemic.

I think you misread my post. I was agreeing with you. The whole concept of wearing a mask while out in the fresh air but feeling safe to remove it while confined inside with others is just plain dumb. 

4 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

The problem arose when say people would invite us to eat with them and she would always feel pressured to eat. If it was at someone's house (as opposed to a restaurant) she would be afraid they would be insulted by her lack of eating. So we almost rarely got to have the experience of eating with friends.

Maybe she could say "don't forget that I eat like a bird."  One of our daughters, in her early 40s with two small kids, is very slim. Probably 'up to' a size 2 these days. She LOVES good food and wine but not large amounts of it. And still gets invitations to dine with friends 🙂 

19 minutes ago, clo said:

Maybe she could say "don't forget that I eat like a bird."  One of our daughters, in her early 40s with two small kids, is very slim. Probably 'up to' a size 2 these days. She LOVES good food and wine but not large amounts of it. And still gets invitations to dine with friends 🙂 

Wow,one of my daughters in her early 40’s is very slim and loves good food and beer but only one 4 legged kid.

10 hours ago, clo said:

"Eats like a bird" is actually the very opposite of what people mean as birds actually eat a lot compared to their weight.

Her definition of good food is raisins; and maybe olives, though I'm not sure that she eats them because she really likes them or because they are good for her.

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Her definition of good food is raisins; and maybe olives, though I'm not sure that she eats them because she really likes them or because they are good for her.

Almost 50 years ago I worked with a woman, who in retrospect, was anorexic (not a term really used back then). She ate so many carrots the palms of her hands had an orange tinge. One time she thought a group was going out for drinks - which she was fine with - but turned out we were going out to dinner. She literally begged us not to.

5 hours ago, clo said:

Almost 50 years ago I worked with a woman, who in retrospect, was anorexic (not a term really used back then). She ate so many carrots the palms of her hands had an orange tinge. One time she thought a group was going out for drinks - which she was fine with - but turned out we were going out to dinner. She literally begged us not to.

LOL, the woman who actually introduced me to my DW (she brought her along as a chaperone because after accepting a movie date with me she decided she did not really wanted a one on one date) turned orange because all she ate were carrots, a lot of them.