Does your job permit cruises or travel?

Sweetnspicy

Hey all! 

I haven’t posted in awhile and honestly coming to the boards made me so sad. I had wanted to cruise 3 times this year instead of the just once a year that we normally do. 

Anyways, my husband works for a company that won’t allow him to cruise (for the foreseeable future) and if we fly anywhere or are in Contact with anyone that has recently flown, he has to quarantine for 2 weeks. I understand where they are coming from, and they are all essential employees. I was wondering if anyone is dealing with something like this? 

We live right outside of Seattle and are still sheltering in place so I know it’s going to be different for everyone. 

Edited by Sweetnspicy
Title change

I work for a Fire Department near Tacoma. We don’t have any travel restrictions, other than those imposed by that guy in Olympia. We do however have an excellent process in place to minimize exposure and work from home as applicable.

Edited by GrabMyWrist

I work for Dept of Defense, so we are under travel restrictions until June 30th for official travel.  Personal travel, we have to get permission from our Command.  Likely, if permission is granted, we would have to do a 14 day quarantine before returning to work.  That would not be too burdensome, as I can telework (as proven over the past couple of months!)

Hoping we get past this crisis soon and everything will open back up!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gershep said:

I think as more states open up there will be more companies putting restrictions in place.

I think so as well. I work retail for one of the worlds largest companies and I’m sure when we are allowed to open we will also have restrictions. 

2 hours ago, KateQ22003 said:

I work in healthcare; at this time my company requires a 14-day quarantine after any cruise.

Does that come out of your time or are you able to use COVID related leave? My employer doesn't have any restrictions but I would be able to self quarantine upon my return without tapping into any of my personal leave if I chose to.

33 minutes ago, Hearthosesteeldrumsplayin said:

I work for Dept of Defense, so we are under travel restrictions until June 30th for official travel.  Personal travel, we have to get permission from our Command.  Likely, if permission is granted, we would have to do a 14 day quarantine before returning to work.  That would not be too burdensome, as I can telework (as proven over the past couple of months!)

Hoping we get past this crisis soon and everything will open back up!

My husband works for defense contractor and things have been constantly changing.  I don’t see us being able to cruise Or vacation this year but maybe our typical February/March cruise. 

I work for a city police department and we don't have any travel restrictions in place. The only time we are required to quarantine is if you have a positive COVID test or if it's ordered by a doctor (so like, if a household member has a positive test). The quarantine is however, covered as administrative leave so we don't have to use sick time for it. 

I work for large Fire Dept and we don't really have "travel restrictions" in place for the simple reason all leave and vacation time has been cancelled under the Emergency Measures act.  All stations are full staffed until the state of emergency is lifted.

Many measures were put in place to protect us and the public we serve.  Vacation time cancelled, our rotation was modified, all 68 stations are isolated from each other (so no sending personnel from one station to another) to limit breakouts to single stations, full station disinfection protocol at the start of every shift, required to stay home and get tested if you or someone in your house have ANY flu or cold like symptoms (with no loss of pay) and when this started in March all vacationners (like me) returning to Canada had to undergo a 14 days Quarantine (with no loss of pay).

Up to now it seems to have worked well as we've only had around 30 cases (out of 2400 firefighters and 300 chiefs, dispatchers, management and clerical workers)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Pat.D said:

I work for large Fire Dept and we don't really have "travel restrictions" in place for the simple reason all leave and vacation time has been cancelled under the Emergency Measures act.  All stations are full staffed until the state of emergency is lifted.

Many measures were put in place to protect us and the public we serve.  Vacation time cancelled, our rotation was modified, all 68 stations are isolated from each other (so no sending personnel from one station to another) to limit breakouts to single stations, full station disinfection protocol at the start of every shift, required to stay home and get tested if you or someone in your house have ANY flu or cold like symptoms (with no loss of pay) and when this started in March all vacationners (like me) returning to Canada had to undergo a 14 days Quarantine (with no loss of pay).

Up to now it seems to have worked well as we've only had around 30 cases (out of 2400 firefighters and 300 chiefs, dispatchers, management and clerical workers)

so nice to hear good news out of Quebec - thanks for sharing! 

• Like 1

Travel restriction policies vary by country and employer/industry, whether you are in public service, healthcare or other mission-critical business or private entities.  Some of the best practices are plain common sense but not everyone gets that.  It's all part of critical risk assessment and mitigation ... 

Active duty national guard troops (USA) deployed are subject to a 14 day self-isolation/quarantine when they are released from assignment before going back to civilian life - for good reasons - especially for those coming from/returning to medical/health or clinical care settings, once out of uniform.  This "cooling-off" period is also a good time for their emotional well-beings.  As of last Monday, at least 1,158 guard members had been diagnosed with Covid-19, including 617 active cases.

One of our nephew supervises air cargo ops on ground logistic, dealing with critical inbound supply/equipment pallets - out of cargo terminal with almost zero passenger contacts, except for the cockpit crews and others working inside the secured zones.  Earlier this month, they had as much as 5 or 6 widebody freighter on theirs alone, fully loaded coming into NY's JFK.  He self-isolate and follow quarantine measures EVERY day for good measures, on the advice of their corporate medical chief.  It is not a strict corporate policy per se but followed/adhered to by almost everyone, top down from the station chief/manager - helping to keep loved ones, spouses/partners and family members, even neighbors safer.  

Without getting into details/specifics, their airlines do have special protocols and guidelines for their cockpit crews; and, similar measures to keep the cabin crews healthy & safe as their passenger flight ops continued to run on reduced/modified schedules - sections of the B777 and B787 partitioned to ferry cargo.   

19 hours ago, Sweetnspicy said:

Anyways, my husband works for a company that won’t allow him to cruise (for the foreseeable future) and if we fly anywhere or are in Contact with anyone that has recently flown, he has to quarantine for 2 weeks. I understand where they are coming from, and they are all essential employees. I was wondering if anyone is dealing with something like this? 

Yes. I have travel restriction for business or personal travel crossing state lines. If I cross a state line, I am obligated to report the travel and quarantine 14 days after my return. During that time, I would face termination if I ventured into the office. Same is true with any known contact with a COVID-positive person, a quarantine for 14 days. We have over 200,000 employees in our company subject to those restrictions. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Yes, 14 day quarantine if you fly or cruise. I am flying in August But they won’t know that nor know where I am going ...... not playing that game.  None of their business ....

im asking this of anyone who feels no sense of responsibility to protect other people

1.  If your company finds out and terminated your employment are you going to complain or sue?

2.  If you start an outbreak in your office will you feel remorse?  What if someone dies as a result of your actions?

I get taking my own risks and I do take risks.  I do try to limit how my actions may affect other people so I’m curious why people seem to not care anymore

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I highly suspect that 90 days from now, there will be no flying restrictions at most jobs  . I have to wear a mask all day at work. I wear a mask when out and about. I will wear a mask and gloves on my simple two hour flight. I am around 10X more people at my job for 10 hours a day then I will  be on a two hour flight. My job is more likely to infect and kill me .... if people can now sit in a crowded bar for hours and hours I think a two hour flight is safer and I will not quarantine 14 days come August. If there is a major rise versus the slowing as of now I will cancel ...... but I’m driving anyhow so .....

Sorry. I’m not trying to single you out. I get that everyone has their own circumstances. I was just asking that question in general. 

I had just watched the news where a woman spit on another woman and I was wondering where humanity is going. 

I may be old fashioned but I miss the days where people cared about each other. Maybe that was all an illusion

• Like 1

19 hours ago, reeinaz said:

Does that come out of your time or are you able to use COVID related leave? My employer doesn't have any restrictions but I would be able to self quarantine upon my return without tapping into any of my personal leave if I chose to.

It comes out of our PTO. 

15 hours ago, fastpitchdad said:

We have to quarantine for 14 days if we go on a cruise and all business travel is currently banned until July 31 (which may be extended).  

My wife's employer has the same restrictions.

• Like 1