It's June 1st, 2 months until Carnival sail again on Aug 1st...

NavyCruiser

13 hours ago, Lottacruises said:

If the plan was not to sail in August then Carnival flat out mislead us all.

Hi

I have seen this discussion play out and I am missing the part where Carnival or any other cruise line is misleading anyone.

These companies all want to operate. People are reading their desire and stated planning as something that will happen. How can anyone possibly point at these companies as being misleading. 

They are just stating their intentions/possibilities IF they are allowed. They will only be allowed to sail after they are told what is required and have shown that that they can comply. How is that hard to understand. They do not get to make the decision on when they may sail. They may choose to not sail after they allowed, they may not sail before they are allowed.

The only reason they continue to accept bookings, is because people are willing to give them the money. If people don't care that these companies may never sail again, how is that the companies responsibility. The company is doing what is necessary to make them viable if operations can continue. There are no guarantees. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, beerman2 said:

Not sure how that timeframe works as the CDC no sail doesn't expire until July24/25.

It will take about 3-4 weeks after the go ahead to ready a ship for sailing.

Thats according to. Cheng75 who used to work for a cruiseline. Even 1 CEO has stated late 3Q early 4Q seems likely. May have been Del Rio (NCL). If that is indeed the case September/October is realistic.

The CDC no sail order doesn’t say ships can’t prepare to sail prior to the July 24th date. If Carnival resumes limited operations on August 1st, you can pretty much guarantee they will be preparing their ships starting in early July so they are ready to sail on August 1st. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The CDC no sail order doesn’t say ships can’t prepare to sail prior to the July 24th date. If Carnival resumes limited operations on August 1st, you can pretty much guarantee they will be preparing their ships starting in early July so they are ready to sail on August 1st. 

We ill have to keep an eye out on the ships that will sail on Aug 1st. I know the Elation is one of the ships as i have a Sept sailing on her so have been keeping a closer eye on her. Please Lets Sail !!

55 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The ship itself might be ready, you have to get crew back, retrain them on the new procedures, get will all your surpliers again ( will they be able to meet the needs). How long is/has it taken to get crew home, it will be just as time consuming getting them back. 

Cruielines get everything ready to sail , then CDC says not yet.  You are now paying crew, feeding them With nowhere to go.

It would certainly be nice to have that hard date to begin, but that isn't the case. We will see how it plays out, but wasn't it Del Rio that said late 3Q / Early 4Q  is realistic. And that coincides with the dates that were on NCL FB page that was immediately taken down. So someone did "leak" it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

The ship itself might be ready, you have to get crew back, retrain them on the new procedures, get will all your surpliers again ( will they be able to meet the needs). How long is/has it taken to get crew home, it will be just as time consuming getting them back. 

Cruielines get everything ready to sail , then CDC says not yet.  You are now paying crew, feeding them With nowhere to go.

It would certainly be nice to have that hard date to begin, but that isn't the case. We will see how it plays out, but wasn't it Del Rio that said late 3Q / Early 4Q  is realistic. And that coincides with the dates that were on NCL FB page that was immediately taken down. So someone did "leak" it.

The situation is too fluid to have hard date so they will have to way all risks and then begin preparations.  They have already limited the number of ships and ports to control the initial start up costs so a couple of weeks earlier or later is probably factored in.

Edited by regoodwinjr

1 hour ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

More money than starting passenger cruises 2 weeks sooner?

Seems to me that there’s going to be 2-3 weeks if expensive startup stuff going on whether they wait until the 25th or start sooner.

Getting lost in all this is getting crew back ( are they all even home yet), retaining the crew in all the new procedures, getting with all suppliers ( negotiating prices) and can they meet demands. You certainly can't purchase perishables until there is an exact date.

At this point , can the cruiselines be certain July 24/25 will be the end of the order?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, regoodwinjr said:

The situation is too fluid to have hard date so they will have to way all risks and then begin preparations.  They have already limited the number of ships and ports to control the initial start up costs so a couple of weeks earlier or later is already factored in.

Time will tell. It's all speculation and we are all guessing. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

I agree with everything you said about preparing a ship to cruise. Like I mentioned, Carnival would likely use the month of July to accomplish all these actions so their ships would be ready to sail on August 1st. 

The biggest issue is going to be what the CDC decides to do. There is no doubt in my mind that Carnival could have 8 ships with crew ready to go on August 1st. But would Carnival start taking actions in July if they thought there was a good chance the CDC extends the no sail deadline? I think this is a big challenge for all the cruise lines...trying to balance getting their ships ready to resume operations while waiting to see what the CDC decides. Ideally the CDC and cruise lines would agree on a firm start date when cruising can resume from US ports, but I doubt it will be that simple. 

I personally think the CDC has and is looking to make the cruise industry at least part of the scapegoat for the current coronavirus. But that is just one person’s opinion which I can’t prove is really the case. 

I live in Florida and with the exception of South Florida, most of the state is open, although there are still a lot of precautions like social distancing and reduced capacity at restaurants, bars, bowling alleys, etc.  From what I have seen personally, there is no doubt that ships could do the same thing now..operate at a lower capacity, enforce social distancing, etc.  But ultimately the CDC is going to have the final say.  

22 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I agree with everything you said about preparing a ship to cruise. Like I mentioned, Carnival would likely use the month of July to accomplish all these actions so their ships would be ready to sail on August 1st. 

The biggest issue is going to be what the CDC decides to do. There is no doubt in my mind that Carnival could have 8 ships with crew ready to go on August 1st. But would Carnival start taking actions in July if they thought there was a good chance the CDC extends the no sail deadline? I think this is a big challenge for all the cruise lines...trying to balance getting their ships ready to resume operations while waiting to see what the CDC decides. Ideally the CDC and cruise lines would agree on a firm start date when cruising can resume from US ports, but I doubt it will be that simple. 

I personally think the CDC has and is looking to make the cruise industry at least part of the scapegoat for the current coronavirus. But that is just one person’s opinion which I can’t prove is really the case. 

I live in Florida and with the exception of South Florida, most of the state is open, although there are still a lot of precautions like social distancing and reduced capacity at restaurants, bars, bowling alleys, etc.  From what I have seen personally, there is no doubt that ships could do the same thing now..operate at a lower capacity, enforce social distancing, etc.  But ultimately the CDC is going to have the final say.  

I’ve said it many times , whether the CDC is right or wrong it is their call. They may bend a little but at this point it’s up to the cruise lines to accept/conform to the guidelines .

I still think the biggest thing once the agreement is reached is getting crew back.

There is a CC member who has been trying since 4/20 to get home from a foreign country. Going on 7 weeks now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beerman2 said:

Getting lost in all this is getting crew back ( are they all even home yet)

I have 3 crew friends on Royal Caribbean and 1 friend on Carnival that are still on their ships. They're not having issues with the cruise lines, but rather the countries they live in. I must admit that the photos they've been sharing the past 3 months have been amazing. Hope they get home soon. 

🤞Fingers crossed ....

• Like 3

We are in contact with a crew member on one of the 8 ships set to sail in August. The ship this person is on as of last week had under 150 crew on board and they are working. What we know is that this person will be staying on once things start again and they have been very positive. AGAIN, nothing guaranteed, but positive about sailing. 

We all know with an uptick in Covid cases or what the CDC wants  this could change tomorrow, but I'll take positive any day.

Also, according to this person the ship had enough food/supply for 90 days, at sea, at the start of June, which means no matter what (sail or no sail) it has to port near the end of July.

Now, if August sail dates are going to happen and at reduced capacity as has been mention here, there and everywhere, obviously they have to add a lot of additional crew which I'm sure they can. From what I understand, that when some ships returned crew home they were also picking up new crew. Now I know there are plenty of CC folks that are friends with crew as well and maybe can add to this if they are reading this thread. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

More money than starting passenger cruises 2 weeks sooner?

Seems to me that there’s going to be 2-3 weeks if expensive startup stuff going on whether they wait until the 25th or start sooner.

We are 2 plus months out.   Keeping ships operating with crew is hundreds of millions of dollars per day.  You do the math.   

2 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

We are 2 plus months out.   Keeping ships operating with crew is hundreds of millions of dollars per day.  You do the math.   

I think there might be a misunderstanding here.. I am fully aware that the ships are essentially shut down at the moment with only enough crew to keep them working.

On the other hand, the 2-3 week spin-up period MUST occur.  

Does it make more sense to do that spin-up period in the weeks leading up to the day the CDC order ends so that they can be ready on day 1, or do it after the CDC order ends and waste 2-3 weeks worth of time that they could be sailing with passengers and making money.

Seems like pretty simple math to me.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

I think there might be a misunderstanding here.. I am fully aware that the ships are essentially shut down at the moment with only enough crew to keep them working.

On the other hand, the 2-3 week spin-up period MUST occur.  

Does it make more sense to do that spin-up period in the weeks leading up to the day the CDC order ends so that they can be ready on day 1, or do it after the CDC order ends and waste 2-3 weeks worth of time that they could be sailing with passengers and making money.

Seems like pretty simple math to me.

They obviously want to know it is a go before they do anything.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

You mean you dont think they can start sooner than 2 or 3 months? 

I'm hoping my august cruise gets cancelled lol, but then everyone says their crew friend says they can be ready. I'd just like a firm date.

So checked my profile and my September 6th cruise on Glory from New orleans on September 6th is still there, but when you do mock booking its not...only 1 cruise on valor there. Also went to Cruise.com and did a mock booking there and only 1 date on Valor as well. My guess is one of 2 things, Cruises will be canceled or they have stopped accepting reservations to lower capacity. I Just hope an announcement comes sooner then later so i can plan a land vacation for that week. 

Imo the cdc has to get it together. On what guidlines need to be met. Enough already being so vague and 90days to come up with a traffic light warning system for ships.   Set the guildlines so we know when we can sail again.  Im booked for aug and would like to go.  

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

Imo the cdc has to get it together. On what guidlines need to be met. Enough already being so vague and 90days to come up with a traffic light warning system for ships.   Set the guildlines so we know when we can sail again.  Im booked for aug and would like to go.  

Easy for me to say. I have 4 more cruises booked from oct 4th to feb, too many really. I booked august hoping for obc to book panama next year, but if its cancelled my ccl stock goes down. But I have 7ndays on freedom booked a little more than a month later. 

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Easy for me to say. I have 4 more cruises booked from oct 4th to feb, too many really. I booked august hoping for obc to book panama next year, but if its cancelled my ccl stock goes down. But I have 7ndays on freedom booked a little more than a month later. 

My father sent me a link from Houston that they may go back to phase 1 if covid cases keep rising.  This really sucks if it happens. 

Edited by seaman11

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

You mean you dont think they can start sooner than 2 or 3 months? 

I'm hoping my august cruise gets cancelled lol, but then everyone says their crew friend says they can be ready. I'd just like a firm date.

I think they could do it in 4 or 5 weeks.  The wild card beyond the cdc giving the ok is what rhwy want them to do training wise.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

I have seen this discussion play out and I am missing the part where Carnival or any other cruise line is misleading anyone.

These companies all want to operate. People are reading their desire and stated planning as something that will happen. How can anyone possibly point at these companies as being misleading. 

They are just stating their intentions/possibilities IF they are allowed. They will only be allowed to sail after they are told what is required and have shown that that they can comply. How is that hard to understand. They do not get to make the decision on when they may sail. They may choose to not sail after they allowed, they may not sail before they are allowed.

The only reason they continue to accept bookings, is because people are willing to give them the money. If people don't care that these companies may never sail again, how is that the companies responsibility. The company is doing what is necessary to make them viable if operations can continue. There are no guarantees. 

If they sold something they did not plan on providing then they lied. 

If they sold something they intended on providing, then circumstances prevented them from doing so, then they did not. 

Two different things. 

1 hour ago, seaman11 said:

The CDC has provided guidance to the cruise lines.  They set out some very clear guidance  in the no sail order extension.  It is not their job to define how each individual cruise line intends to operate and abide by those guidelines.  The cruise lines need to make the effort to design a plan and then work with the CDC to insure that the plan meets all of the requirements.  Only a couple of the major lines have done that, and only within the last week or so.  It was the primary focus to get the crew members repatriated.  So once that process is finished (which it is not) then how sailing will reopen will be the new focus.  I think it's ridiculous to think that the CDC needs to make a cruising restart their number one priority right now.  

Edited by harkinmr

19 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

The CDC has provided guidance to the cruise lines.  They set out some very clear guidance  in the no sail order extension.  It is not their job to define how each individual cruise line intends to operate and abide by those guidelines.  The cruise lines need to make the effort to design a plan and then work with the CDC to insure that the plan meets all of the requirements.  Only a couple of the major lines have done that, and only within the last week or so.  It was the primary focus to get the crew members repatriated.  So once that process is finished (which it is not) then how sailing will reopen will be the new focus.  I think it's ridiculous to think that the CDC needs to make cruising a top priority.

The cdc has not made the guidlines clear for restarting cruises.  And no one expects it to be a top priority. However in 90 days they have only come up with the traffic light idea of risk levels on ships.  Even the ncl ceo showed fustration with the cdc.  

40 minutes ago, Lottacruises said:

If they sold something they did not plan on providing then they lied. 

If they sold something they intended on providing, then circumstances prevented them from doing so, then they did not. 

Two different things. 

Since day one, it has been known that the virus sets the schedule. Everything sold since has been conditional. Nobody lied.