3 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Hilton head?  SC  is hitting new Covid highs every day.  Expect lots of business requiring masks. 
M

Just curious if it is just the results of increased testing or if they are running into increased hospitilizations.  

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I wonder if COVID19 Penetrates the Dome and makes its way to the magical Zip Code?  😇

All of SC it spiking, every county.  My point  was not specific to HH, but to South Carolina.   We live in the center of the state, and won't travel to our beach condo, because the numbers are climbing.  I am happy at home.   

Oh - and to stay on topic,  I wear a mask if I need to go to the store.  If requested, I will wear one on a ship

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, KsucAts said:

Just curious if it is just the results of increased testing or if they are running into increased hospitilizations.  

I believe it is new cases tested positive.    Doesn't matter if the numbers go up because   if more  get tested,  that is a sign that more are getting sick. Can't arbitrarily get a tested here.  You have to have some symptoms or have been in contact with someone who has tested positive. 

I follow the local news reporting.  South Carolina  was in the 100-250 cases range  from March  through late May ( 165 on May 28).   We hit 785 on June 13.   That is a significant jump in 2 weeks.  State relaxed closures about three weeks ago.  

Went to a local  bagel shop  yesterday.  Sign on door asked that patrons wear a mask.   I was the only one of 6 patrons in a mask. 

Back on Topic  - If asked to wear  a mask on a ship,  I will.  

m

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Numbers are going up and the media loves to show beaches and restaurants where for the most part people are socially distant while completely ignoring the thousands not socially distant protesting.  I would like to see the numbers of the positive cases who had been involved in protesting or lives with someone involved in protesting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Numbers are going up and the media loves to show beaches and restaurants where for the most part people are socially distant while completely ignoring the thousands not socially distant protesting.  I would like to see the numbers of the positive cases who had been involved in protesting or lives with someone involved in protesting.

The protesting was  about the same time  many  states relaxed restrictions.  There will be no way to distinguish  the cause if there  is an increase  in cases.     News media will spin it the way that suits their philosophy.  

However, increases are increases regardless of the cause.  If my wearing a mask keeps just one  person from getting sick (or worse),  I'm OK with a mask.   Small price to pay to keep others safe.     

Back to topic, if a mask is required,  wonder what RCCL can do if passengers refuse to wear one.  

M

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Back to topic, if a mask is required,  wonder what RCCL can do if passengers refuse to wear one.  

M

They can kick the passenger(s) off the ship at the next port. This is only hypothetical, but if the CDC mandates masks must be worn by passengers, you can bet the cruise lines will take wearing masks seriously and enforce the rule.

Obviously I don’t know what the CDC is going to require for ships to resume operations. However, I think it is safe to say cruise lines will make sure they are in compliance with these rules. No cruise line is going to risk another no sail order by ignoring guidance from the CDC. 

12 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

They can kick the passenger(s) off the ship at the next port

I believe this is one of the biggest issues the CDC has with cruising. As you can see from the crews trying to get home, nobody wants the cruise lines to dump off sick people in ports. 

M8

• Like 1

90% of the people walking through the promenade, pool area or even sitting in shows are holding a drink, or food. Just sitting people watching, you are drinking even a cup of coffee. 

How does that work, so is royal going to say, you can only have a drink while sitting at a bar? (6 feet apart of course) Do you think they should make designated areas for drinking only, just like smoking. Are they really willing to loose that much money in alcohol sales? 

For a lot of people the whole idea for a cruise is for social gathering.  If they are requiring people to isolate from everyone else. Only drink and eat in special areas, I don't think you will have to worry about a ship being full. Sure some people would love to cruise this way, but unfortunately not the majority.

I don't really see any way for a cruise line to enforce this. Suggest sure ok, but mandate no not going to happen.

Mask do not do any good, when they are constantly being touched, removed, adjusted,  dropped on floor, and put on and off all day long.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I believe this is one of the biggest issues the CDC has with cruising. As you can see from the crews trying to get home, nobody wants the cruise lines to dump off sick people in ports. 

M8

Phillyfan seem to be implying that RCCL can boot any passenger off if (hypothetically)  masks are required.  So those dumped off hopefully are not sick, just don't want to follow the requirements.  Getting home might not be an issue,  just a high cost.  Booting one  off seems a bit over the top,  but  i guess time will tell.   I hear many say that they have a medical issue  and cannot  wear a mask, so i guess that might be an accepted excuse. I guess suddenly everyone will have a  severe lung issue. 

Personally if a mask is required, or there is any other requirements set forth, why would anyone get on a ship knowing that they don't want to follow the regulations.   Currently if a mask is required at a business and one doesn't want to wear one, they look for another business that  does not have that requirement.  Cruising/flying/whatever is the same concept. 

M

So we went to the STL Zoo yesterday and masks were mandatory. The temperature was pleasant so wearing one wasn't awful for a few hours. But if the temperature had been warmer, it would've been very unpleasant and IMO the discomfort wouldn't be worth the experience. And the zoo is FREE (well, until my 5-year-old sees the gift shop), whereas cruises cost us thousands. I wouldn't mind wearing one in embarkation lines and muster drills, but anything more than that would be a deal breaker for a vacation. 

1 minute ago, jen52683 said:

So we went to the STL Zoo yesterday and masks were mandatory. The temperature was pleasant so wearing one wasn't awful for a few hours. But if the temperature had been warmer, it would've been very unpleasant and IMO the discomfort wouldn't be worth the experience. And the zoo is FREE (well, until my 5-year-old sees the gift shop), whereas cruises cost us thousands. I wouldn't mind wearing one in embarkation lines and muster drills, but anything more than that would be a deal breaker for a vacation. 

Percept scenario.  If a mask or other regulations are required, then you might seek alternate vacation plans.  

If you know up front what will be required, it is easier to make decisions.  When cruising resumes, I certainly don't want to be on one of the first few cruises. I'll let the dust settle and  RCCL as well as passengers  can determine what works and what doesn't.    I'm sure there will be plenty of reviews once cruising resumes. 

M

oIf there is a written policy published on RCs website and in our cruise documents stating masks are mandatory (not highly recommended or suggested) and where the masks must be worn and the policy will be strictly enforced by the crew/staff, no problem we'll be bringing masks with us and wear them in the mask zones. Or will this be like don't smoke on your balcony or else and no poolside chair saving, etc.:classic_rolleyes: We'll wait and see as our next cruises aren't until March 2021.

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

M8

Next option would be to quarantine the pax for remainder of cruise.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Still. It creates an issue for any port where they get off. 

U S ports I would think they would have an agreement with CDC before sailings begin

Yes foreign ports would be a major issue

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

U S ports I would think they would have an agreement with CDC before sailings begin

Yes foreign ports would be a major issue

I actually believe the CDC might be an issue. Look, if the CDC didn’t shut them down in the first place, it’s possible they might still be sailing with all the people here wanting to board. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Lol if you consider the statement "No one in their right minds after spending a fortune as it is on a cruise wants to wear a mask" to only be speaking for yourself, then ok!

Studies are coming out from various sources that seem to indicate that masks are better at preventing the transmission of COVID-19 from one person to another than washing hands or social distance.  As I read it this applies to the N-95(?) type masks not the homemade/old scarf/t-shirt masks, and may or may not apply to the $30 designer masks popping up. 

There is a short distance (under a foot) "leakage" for the virus from the masks in a sneeze or cough, but it quickly dissipates.  Virus does linger on the fabric, thus need for daily washing or tossing of disposables.

• Like 1

Anyone who might be thinking of flying United without a mask, might want to shop for another airline:

United Airlines will temporarily ban passengers not wearing masks

From CNN's Pete Muntean and Greg Wallace

United Airlines says that starting Thursday, passengers who do not wear a mask in flight will be banned — at least temporarily — from flying with the carrier, pending a “comprehensive incident review” and subject to some exceptions.

Flight attendants will warn passengers who don’t comply and offer them a mask. If further de-escalation is unsuccessful, the flight attendant will file a report after the flight reaches its destination. After a review, the passenger could be placed on an “internal travel restriction list” and unable to fly “for a duration of time to be determined.”

United sent out an internal memo to employees on Monday evening laying out the new guidelines, ratcheted up from an initial pandemic policy of keeping passengers who refuse masks from boarding and flight attendants “strongly encouraging” passengers to wear masks in flight.

The world’s third largest airline says passengers who are eating or drinking do not need to wear a mask as well as those with certain medical conditions or small children.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

Who will make the decision on which masks pass the test? What will qualify as a mask that can be used and ones that can't?

Any answer you get will be nothing but speculation like just about every other thought about how cruising will open.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Any answer you get will be nothing but speculation like just about every other thought about how cruising will open.

It was more for the fun of it because people are going to complain just because they are miserable people. They will complain that my $0.50 mask isn't good enough because they bought a $100 mask that is no more effective than the $0.50 mask. Then there will be the Mask Police pointing out everyone that took their mask of to have a drink they paid for...Heaven forbid someone wanted to eat or drink on vacation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigrednole said:

It was more for the fun of it because people are going to complain just because they are miserable people. They will complain that my $0.50 mask isn't good enough because they bought a $100 mask that is no more effective than the $0.50 mask. Then there will be the Mask Police pointing out everyone that took their mask of to have a drink they paid for...Heaven forbid someone wanted to eat or drink on vacation. 

I can do both.  😉 

image.jpeg.fecf36ebdb0557d5e41c181df4d431f1.jpeg

Mask are mandatory in Massachusetts in public. High rate of deaths from covid19. Right behind New York and New Jersey.  We’re not cruising until a vaccination or later. 5 friends and family have passed away from covid19. Second wave of covid19 this fall is inevitable. Stay safe and carry on!

• Like 1