Captain’s Club Power Up Points

cruisestitch

9 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Did you tell Celebrity that you like booking early excursions in tender ports with them so you don't have to worry about priority tendering? 😉

No. I'll see how that works out in September. 😁

8 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Here are the answers:

1) A

2) "no, but increase your wi-fi speed"

3) A

4) A

5) A

6) A

7) "no, but keep the staff served buffet"

Re #2, I’d rather they keep more premium liquor in stock…since we’re posting things that have zero to do with excursions.  I’m not important enough for internet to matter. 🙂

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Pure speculation, since the CDC announcement, X will get rid of small group tours unless an overwhelming amount of people say they want them to continue

I don't see the connection to CDC. I have done Celebrity Small Group excursions as far back as 2017, I find it hard to imagine what influence the CDC announcement would have had back then.

Stan

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Pure speculation, since the CDC announcement, X will get rid of small group tours unless an overwhelming amount of people say they want them to continue

No, I don't think so.  I think marketeers feel the small group tours are a way to make the cruise more special and to customize the experience for the high end cruiser and not a response to Covid.

10 minutes ago, davekathy said:

No. I'll see how that works out in September. 😁

I hope you get them to fix it before I get back on the Summit in April 2023 for the repo from Miami to New Jersey.  I'm not sure there are any scheduled tender ports on my trip but you never know how things can change.  Bermuda wasn't supposed to be a tender port this year.

20 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I selected I'd be interested in more small group tours; it really wasn't a COVID thing. When solicited for comments I put that I'd like to sample more local cuisines.  I was thinking a group in size from 6 - 12 going to a retaurant, culinary institute, etc. for a hands on demonstration and lunch type thing. 

I'm willing to pay up for something culturally immersive or unique to a port, especially if I don't have to be queued with 60 other people and always be waiting on the slowest/last to arrive to set our pace.  

The CDC doesn't control the ports of call; I've been on 3 cruises since the restart and so many businesses in so many of the ports remain shuttered. It seems Celebrity is looking to address this with new excursion options in the future; my guess. 

14 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

I don't see the connection to CDC. I have done Celebrity Small Group excursions as far back as 2017, I find it hard to imagine what influence the CDC announcement would have had back then.

Stan

8 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I selected I'd be interested in more small group tours; it really wasn't a COVID thing. When solicited for comments I put that I'd like to sample more local cuisines.  I was thinking a group in size from 6 - 12 going to a retaurant, culinary institute, etc. for a hands on demonstration and lunch type thing. 

I'm willing to pay up for something culturally immersive or unique to a port, especially if I don't have to be queued with 60 other people and always be waiting on the slowest/last to arrive to set our pace.  

The CDC doesn't control the ports of call; I've been on 3 cruises since the restart and so many businesses in so many of the ports remain shuttered. It seems Celebrity is looking to address this with new excursion options in the future; my guess. 

Fair point, I still believe (disclaimer, just MY opinion) the point of this survey is to determine if keeping small tours around makes financial sense for them regardless of the CDC

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

No, I don't think so.  I think marketeers feel the small group tours are a way to make the cruise more special and to customize the experience for the high end cruiser and not a response to Covid.

I've heard a couple reports that their "small tour" had a high number of people and folks requesting and receiving refunds no further questions asked.  My best guess is this an extremely rare occurrence.

5 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Fair point, I still believe (disclaiming, just MY opinion) the point of this survey is to determine if keeping small tours around makes financial sense for them regardless of the CDC

Of course they are financial sense to Celebrity- they charge more for them.

As to the Private journeys, they are a prohibitive price.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, upwarduk said:

Of course they are financial sense to Celebrity- they charge more for them.

As to the Private journeys, they are a prohibitive price.

There must be some reason they’re wanting survey answers about small group tours.  I still standby my answer; why do you think they’re asking our thoughts on them?

$310 PP for a 2 hour Boat Tour to the Viking Ruins and Hvalso Church at Qaqortoq

That price is an abuse/theft in the desert, Celebrity bought everything and they did not leave the option of doing the tour independently, therefore they exaggerated with the price.

Edited by gerelmx
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

We were on the exact same page with our answers! We have done a few small group culinary excursions including local cuisine and local cooking classes that were fantastic. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

X already offers these immersive tours. We are booked on one for an upcoming  cruise.

• Like 1

Just now, C-Dragons said:

X already offers these immersive tours. We are booked on one for an upcoming  cruise.

When available and not all itineraries.  Perhaps if they see the interest and demand they can find new partners in the ports to do business with to replace businesses that are not going to reopen.  Whatever the ultimate goal of theirs I can't say, or whatever information they derive we will never know; I felt enthused by the content of this PUP survey and certainly don't mind getting 2 more CC points for my input. More, new choices are welcomed. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

$310 PP for a 2 hour Boat Tour to the Viking Ruins and Hvalso Church at Qaqortoq

That price is an abuse/theft in the desert, Celebrity bought everything and they did not leave the option of doing the tour independently, therefore they exaggerated with the price.

The tour outside of cruise ship days is right at $200.  I agree and the owner will let me know if he has any space or another boat.  Qaqortoq is unusual in that Summit will have more people on board than live in the town.

The problem with Celebrity tours is they are using it as a profit center - adding 50% or more as their commission.   Other lines add a far small percentage.  When I do car tours I receive a commission from the booking and an upgraded room.  I do not markup my tours.

On our SA cruise there is a 55 seat speedboat tour to see the penguins.   Someone on FB arranged it private for $120 pp.   Now provider says the time they can do it due to the tides are not compatible with tendering as the early departure would require all of us to be off in the first 45 minutes (early tenders used for Celebrity excursions) and the later time returns too late.

The same tour is available currently on Cruise Planner for $584 pp.   I believe a few months ago it was $399 pp.

They seem to be really jacking up everything to enhance onboard revenue.