Can 2 adults book a suite plus a vacant "Spare"?

garyl62

My DW was talking with a friend about planning a cruise and they asked me if they could book a Edge Class S3 and the adjoining inside cabin, but put both their names on the S3 so they have all the suite benefits, and they use the inside as a second bedroom and bath.  I know you can book these cabins like this with underage children but haven't read anything about doing it for 2 adults.  From a price point, booking an S3 was about $6,900, and pricing the inside with no perks was about $2,300 so they are looking at $9,200 total.  You can't get a CS or anything with a separate bedroom for less than 13k and even then you still only have 1 bedroom and 1 bath.  

Essentially they are looking to book a "spare" cabin without assigning a passenger to it, but still be able to use it.  Anyone heard of this before?

Edited by garyl62

I've heard of people with a family of four booking two rooms like this and wanting to put the children's name on the inside and the the suite since they only have to pay 3rd and 4th rate on the suite then (to get perks) instead of having to get a second suite. I know some cruise lines will cancel the second room if they catch you doing this (they want you purchase the second suite). Not sure what Celebrity's take on it is. 

Not likely to happen. They want people in cabins... because those people spend money. An empty cabin generates no extra $$. Plus, when cruising resumes it's very likely going to happen with reduced capacity. I doubt they will allow an empty cabin to be "counted" toward the passenger total. 

A possible work around would be to book the inside cabin in their husbands' names... who would then be "no shows" at embarkation. The wives could request extra key cards to their husbands' cabin once onboard. They'd have to pretend their spouses were supposed to be catching up with the ship at the first stop... then say no, they aren't coming after all. Not honest, but you did ask how it could be done.

1 hour ago, garyl62 said:

My DW was talking with a friend about planning a cruise and they asked me if they could book a Edge Class S3 and the adjoining inside cabin, but put both their names on the S3 so they have all the suite benefits, and they use the inside as a second bedroom and bath.  I know you can book these cabins like this with underage children but haven't read anything about doing it for 2 adults.  From a price point, booking an S3 was about $6,900, and pricing the inside with no perks was about $2,300 so they are looking at $9,200 total.  You can't get a CS or anything with a separate bedroom for less than 13k and even then you still only have 1 bedroom and 1 bath.  

Essentially they are looking to book a "spare" cabin without assigning a passenger to it, but still be able to use it.  Anyone heard of this before?

Just two of them traveling?  They can both book at a single occupancy rate one in each cabin.  You can price that out.   I think I heard of scenarios where you can pay a premium for certain suite benefits packages for non-suite guests traveling with you.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Why not book one person in each?  I believe both of you would get the suite perks if they are with you.  Do not think additional fee- but check with celebrity directly.

I do not think another adult in a non-suite cabin will qualify directly for the same suite benefits as the person in the suite.  This is a very common scenario.

• Like 2

Why speculate in this forum?  Just contact your TA or X directly for their answer, then you will know for sure. The other option is wait to see if you can buy an upgrade to a  C3 suite. Good luck either way!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I do not think another adult in a non-suite cabin will qualify directly for the same suite benefits as the person in the suite.  This is a very common scenario.

They do get the same perks. If you book both, the people in the inside can access luminae, sundeck, lounge ect. I assume you have to book it under one reservation. I also assume you could easily do the single occupancy thing if two of them want the two rooms.

I think you need to call.   I believe at times they configure these 2 cabins as a "Family Suite".   It's probably priced higher in that configuration but then you should be able to book them both solo and get all the suite perks.   I agree with others that a higher level suite might be a better deal.

Purchasing suite perks for a non suite cabins on the same or linked reservations is only offered to the very top level suites.

Edited by wrk2cruise

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

There will only be one correct answer.

OP, this is the right answer. 

I also researched having 3-4 people in multiple cabins because we are considering adoption.  But I found it a bit confusing.  I haven't yet reached out to X or my TA but that's what I would do if we seriously considered another cruise.  (We have a Dec cruise we are going to either move to new date or cancel.  But we might want another one in 2021 or 2022.)

Edited by zitsky

3 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Why speculate in this forum?  Just contact your TA or X directly for their answer, then you will know for sure. The other option is wait to see if you can buy an upgrade to a  C3 suite. Good luck either way!

Didn't mean to speculate, in my OP I only asked "Anyone heard of this before"

2 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

By the time you pay the single supplement for a suite and inside cabin you could book a Celebrity suite. The person in the inside cabin might have the benefit of Luminae and the Retreat but not necessarily all 4 perks.

Nope, as I said in OP, the CS is $13,000, these two cabins are $9,200.  Also, both would be booked in the suite so they would have all 4 perks (assuming they didn't book a special fare that excluded any perks) the inside would be considered vacant

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

There will only be one correct answer.

Yep, and if they decide to get serious, I'll call my TA, but for now I figured I'd see if "Anyone (had) heard of this before"  I completely agree with your comment, and appreciate the direct answer.

6 hours ago, MEcruzr said:

.......A possible work around would be to book the inside cabin in their husbands' names... who would then be "no shows" at embarkation. The wives could request extra key cards to their husbands' cabin once onboard. They'd have to pretend their spouses were supposed to be catching up with the ship at the first stop... then say no, they aren't coming after all. Not honest, but you did ask how it could be done.

Actually, I didn't ask that in my OP, I asked if anyone had heard of this before.  They would not feel comfortable misleading the crew, and doing so would put a damper on the whole trip.

Thanks everyone.  Seems like some think this could work, while others don't, so it will an option to explore if they get serious, but as we all know Cruise Critic is just a place to share experiences, Celebrity has the final say so if they want to know for sure I'll try to book something through my TA and see what happens.   As I'm sure someone will advise, if they do book something, I'll be sure to get the agreement in writing from Celebrity too.

Edited by garyl62
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will throw another wrinkle into this.

Normally, they want to sail at full occupancy.

Post Covid, they may be looking at ships NOT sailing full.  So they might be more likely to let you book this "empty" cabin.

There are a couple of other considerations.  One is the passenger manifest which has to be submitted to TSA.  I am guessing that there is no way to submit an unoccupied, but paid for cabin.  But this is uncharted territory so maybe there is a workaround.  

Another is any "perks" that might come with booking -- usually the insides come with no perks, but there are specials every so often which give a beverage package, or internet or the like.  They would have to work that out. 

Finally there are the gratuities.  If the cabin is even occasionally used, there will be a steward taking care of it, so be sure to figure in the gratuities.

"Nope, as I said in OP, the CS is $13,000, these two cabins are $9,200.  Also, both would be booked in the suite so they would have all 4 perks (assuming they didn't book a special fare that excluded any perks) the inside would be considered vacant "

This is assuming that you could book a vacant cabin.  Someone else suggested that each cabin be booked with 1 occupant, thus triggering the single supplement that would be $18,400.  That's what I was replying to.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU
  • Thanks 1

I would think the finance would be less simple as it was calculated...

Firstly passengers give two types of income to the cruise line (initial price and on board spend). What you are suggesting would leave them out of pocket compared to having two passengers in residence so they have little interest in accommodating this plan.

I do think some sort of single supplement would kick in making the cost higher.

As both cabins would be used then you would need to look at paying gratuities for 4 passengers.

In terms of value of space I am finding it hard to understand the real benefits.

Neither of the two cabins has what I would call ‘good day time space’ somewhere to sit and eat, comfortable sofas, large balcony....So your friends are paying a lot of money for two beds in two separate rooms. For guests who do have sleep issues like snoring or insomnia (meaning they may want lights/TV on in the night disturbing their partner) I can understand this.

Harder to understand the need for two basic bathrooms. They are not of a luxurious size, no jacuzzi bath to linger in, they do not offer a dressing area or other facilities which would make you want to linger...Most couples manage perfectly to share, usually the one having the longest hair needing the most time to dry going in first! 

If there is a genuine reason for needing two separate bedrooms to fully enjoy the cruise I suggest you approach Celebrity direct...They are more likely to accommodate you if they can understand a genuine need rather than simply a wish for a bit more space...

OP, it would be useful if you could come back and let others know what you find out in terms of if Celebrity will accommodate this and if so at what cost...I sincerely hope that your wife’s friend can manage to find what they need at an affordable price. 

Edited by chemmo

11 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

"Nope, as I said in OP, the CS is $13,000, these two cabins are $9,200.  Also, both would be booked in the suite so they would have all 4 perks (assuming they didn't book a special fare that excluded any perks) the inside would be considered vacant "

This is assuming that you could book a vacant cabin.  Someone else suggested that each cabin be booked with 1 occupant, thus triggering the single supplement that would be $18,400.  That's what I was replying to.

I read it as in the friends are already planning on paying double occupancy for both cabins. So double occupancy for the suite since they will both be booked in it and then single plus supplement or double occupancy for the inside cabin. Why do you say that doing two singles would be more than 2 double occupancies or a double and a single with supplement. 

When I travel with my friend we have  no issue with sharing a cabin (twin beds) and a bathroom. She takes WAY more time getting ready than I do. So she uses the cabin bathroom and I use the spa bathroom. It's large, everything is provided, the showers are private and we are both easily ready at the same time. I even have time for a quick dip in the pool or a sauna before showering if I start when she does. I offer this info as an alternative solution to the second bathroom. 

Does Celebrity have any two bedroom suites? I know there are additional sleepers in some but not sure about dedicated rooms. I haven't kept up with the Edge class ships to know whether they have two bedroom suites or not. 

9 minutes ago, ORV said:

Does Celebrity have any two bedroom suites? I know there are additional sleepers in some but not sure about dedicated rooms. I haven't kept up with the Edge class ships to know whether they have two bedroom suites or not. 

I would also like to know.  I couldn't find one but I only checked one ship and one itinerary.

20 minutes ago, ORV said:

Only PH, Iconic suites  (I think) on Edge class have distinct two bedrooms plus lounge area but the Villa suites and  RS do have two distinct rooms (bedroom and lounge with sofa bed). Not cruised any of these.

On S class the CS, RS and PH have two separate rooms (bedroom and lounge with sofa beds). CS has a Jack and Jill bathroom, RS has an additional toilet and sink off the lounge, PH has two bathrooms. RS and PH ideal to use in a two bedroom format, we have done this several times as a party of three. Two distinct sleeping areas at night and loads of space to enjoy during the day.

On M class PH has two separate rooms (bedroom and lounge with sofa bed) and two bathrooms, ideal for 3/4 guests. If I remember correctly the RS has two separate rooms but the bathroom is off the bedroom. The CS again has two rooms, cannot remember if the bathroom was off the bedroom but it was the most dangerous bath I have ever seen (soooo high).

Hopefully others will comment on the Edge rooms with first hand experience...