EU Guidelines

cricketlover

interesting watch - thanks for that ....not sure theres too much to put me off if im honest....everything will be a lot easier to adhere to with reduced numbers anyway....just not sure who is going to police it all - like who is getting in and out of the pool and hot tub etc...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jojo1966 said:

just not sure who is going to police it all

After a couple of hours with access to the bar, the Captain will be confining passengers to their cabins and returning to the departure port.

I went through some of the 49 page EU document and a lot in there is what is to be expected.  My guess is that the CDC guidelines will be similar but maybe in more of a shortened version.  Hopefully soon.

• Like 1

Much in this document was in line with other information on what changes would be made.  We expect assigned dining times, limits on the number of people in any venue/space but the idea  of assigning passengers to groups of cohorts for dining, entertainment, use of facilities, etc  could be the thing that puts a stop to cruising for us. 

• Like 2

We cruise to get away and not interact with a lot of people.  Now there are 2 things that will cause us to cancel cruises: face masks and cohort groups. My DH is the original curmudgeon and I can't see him thrown together with a group of people he did not choose to be with.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU
  • Like 7

Probably the only thing we would not have a problem with is the mask requirement(s).  We do it here on land in areas similar to what would be required on ships (shops, corridors, restaurants when not actively eating or drinking,etc.)  None of that would be a problem.

The rest are largely non-starters.  Cohort groups?  Nope.  Short cruises with fewer ports?  Don't do that now so not going to pay $$ to do it.  Waiting forever to get an elevator to go from deck 2 to deck 11?  Pass.  Reservations for theater? Nah.

And there is the thing that may be dealt with in the 49 pp doc but not mentioned in the video.  Tenders.  Literally no way that I would line up with proper spacing to get on a tender that will have 1/2 capacity or less.  Would take half the morning just to get outside.  And then do the reverse to get back on board.

Likely no more cruising for us until an effective vaccine.  Already had 6 cancelled/shifted.  No problem if we have to cancel the remaining 6 booked.  Just not that important to us, even though we think the procedures and directives are absolutely necessary. 

• Like 2

As expected, a total deal breaker for us. No interest in cruising under these restrictions, too many ruin what we like and as young at heart late 60's we don't want to be forced into older age groups only. I suspect many others will not be attracted to cruising and for us it's over until the situation normalises by vaccine or otherwise.

Everyone 65+ has to have a doctor's letter? I don't know how many in the EU cruising public are this age, but on our X cruises, admittedly over 7 nights. I would guess at least 50%.  That should help limit the ships' capacity! I will find out next week if my doctor would sign such a letter when I go for my next check-up. If I were a doctor, I would not sign. And besides, just because a doctor would sign on x date, there is no way that guarantees you won't be infected the next day or on the way to the cruise port. 

17 minutes ago, 39august said:

Everyone 65+ has to have a doctor's letter? I don't know how many in the EU cruising public are this age, but on our X cruises, admittedly over 7 nights. I would guess at least 50%.  That should help limit the ships' capacity! I will find out next week if my doctor would sign such a letter when I go for my next check-up. If I were a doctor, I would not sign. And besides, just because a doctor would sign on x date, there is no way that guarantees you won't be infected the next day or on the way to the cruise port. 

You must go on the young-un cruises.  Ours I would estimate at closer to 80% over 65.

Caveat:  We don't take short cruises (less than 10 days) and never sail the Caribbean, so that is a factor.

• Like 1

how ridiculous if you having so many checks and pretests why would you need all these restrictions.  Idiots making ridiculous rules  that will kill the cruising and travel industry

1 hour ago, 39august said:

I didn't see where a letter was required but in various reports on the EU guideline I did see that those over 65 should consult with their doctor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, jelayne said:

I didn't see where a letter was required but in various reports on the EU guideline I did see that those over 65 should consult with their doctor.

Beat me to it, there is no requirement for a letter. This is what the guidelines say:

Passengers in high risk groups including people over 65 years of age or people of any age with underlying medical conditions (chronic diseases including cardiovascular disease, diabetes, respiratory diseases and immunocompromised individuals) should be advised to visit a doctor for pre-travel medical consultation to assess if they are fit to travel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe the document’s purpose has been mis-represented in the various news stories it has been referred to.  Here is a copy of a footnote on the cover page of the document:

The EU HEALTHY GATEWAYS Joint Action has received funding from the European Union, in the framework of the Third Health Programme (2014-2020). The content of this document represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility; it cannot be considered to reflect the views of the European Commission and/or the Consumers, Health, Agriculture and Food Executive Agency (CHAFEA) or any other body of the European Union. The European Commission and the Agency do not accept any responsibility for use that may be made of the information it contains.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Is this some kind of joke???

Here's the disclaimer from the bottom of the first page of the report........

The EU HEALTHY GATEWAYS Joint Action has received funding from the European Union, in the framework of the Third Health Programme (2014-2020). The content of this document represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility; it cannot be considered to reflect the views of the European Commission and/or the Consumers, Health, Agriculture and Food Executive Agency (CHAFEA) or any other body of the European Union. The European Commission and the Agency do not accept any responsibility for use that may be made of the information it contains.

So in essence,  these are not official EU recommendations.

Did I miss something?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I believe the document’s purpose has been mis-represented in the various news stories it has been referred to.  Here is a copy of a footnote on the cover page of the document:

Sorry for repeating your info.  I was composing my post while you posted yours and didn't see it until after I posted mine.

Edited by mnocket

8 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Most likely sent out by the EU to test the water.  EU Healthy Gateways id co-funded by the European Union

8 minutes ago, govanguy said:

Most likely sent out by the EU to test the water.  EU Healthy Gateways id co-funded by the European Union

Agreed.  No doubt there will be some massaging of the details....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I went through some of the 49 page EU document and a lot in there is what is to be expected.  My guess is that the CDC guidelines will be similar but maybe in more of a shortened version.  Hopefully soon.

The difference is that the CDC just identified the areas that the cruise lines must address in their action plans which the CDC will review and either approve or decline.  Instead of the CDC producing detailed plans.  In some ways the EU is doing the same, but their document is much much more detailed.

Edited by npcl

9 minutes ago, govanguy said:

Also, the disclaimer contains boilerplate text, for example "his/her sole responsibility". If the document was written by one individual, they presumably would know the gender. Moreover, the guidance was developed by an ad-hoc working group, not just one person. 

5 minutes ago, npcl said:

The difference is that the CDC just identified the areas that the cruise lines must address in their action plans which the CDC will review and either approve or decline.  Instead of the CDC producing detailed plans.  In some ways the EU is doing the same, but their document is much much more detailed.

In my experience, the EU tends to be very prescriptive.  In North America, expect to see something more ‘requirements’ oriented with the proposed solution(s) left up to the provider (in our case, the cruise lines).