Its time to move on from 2020

5 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

PVSA won't allow local ports and local crew. Unless you mean local to countries other than the US.

I thought as long as you use a local crew, you do not need to dock at a foreign port?

The Norwegian Pride has been doing trips around the Hawaiian Islands for years without docking at Kirabati because they hired US citizens.  Or has that changed?

Also as a US flagged ship.

Edited by fisherguy

12 minutes ago, fisherguy said:

I thought as long as you use a local crew, you do not need to dock at a foreign port?

The Norwegian Pride has been doing trips around the Hawaiian Islands for years without docking at Kirabati because they hired US citizens.  Or has that changed?

Also as a US flagged ship.

Norwegian Pride is flagged differently than other cruise ships.  That is what allows it to just cruise around the Hawiian islands.  Other cruise ships cannot do the same thing.

5 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Norwegian Pride is flagged differently than other cruise ships.  That is what allows it to just cruise around the Hawiian islands.  Other cruise ships cannot do the same thing.

Thanks.  I think I recall now that they had to register as a US flagged ship first which presents more issues of taxation and regulations.  I don't think that the Pride of America cruises were really that profitable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fisherguy said:

But thinking more about it.  RCCL would have the luxury of using Coco cay (and other foreign private islands) and Ensenada to cover both coasts.

If those ports' respective countries allow cruise ships from the US. 

Edited by time4u2go

On 7/3/2020 at 11:21 AM, zonacruiser25 said:

It is time to move on to 2021 and stop this 30 day "maybe" charade.  No one has been able to accurately forecast the future. If the last 4 months have taught us anything it is uncertainty will reign supreme for the near future.  All the cruise lines seem to be continuing to spin their wheels and burning cash to try to start up tomorrow.  Between travel restrictions, quarantine requirements, capacity limitations and everything else every line continues to shoot at a moving target.  Well, the only ones continuing to be hit by those shots is us!  We had vacations, trips of a lifetime, precious memories to be made all dashed over the last 4 months.  Many have shifted to Oct, Nov or Dec or continue(like we do)to hope our 2020 cruises will happen.  Many of us here have a very strong passion for cruising and want to get back to sea in the worst way.  It just seems like Royal can step up and take the lead and focus on a 2021 start up.  Give us a detailed plan on what they can and are doing to make cruising "safe" in the Covid era.  Cruising will return.  Why force it and fail.  Plan it, work the plan and spend the time and energy to let us all know what they will do and tell us what we will need to do so we can resume planning for a cruise that should happen.

amen to that!

On 7/4/2020 at 8:29 AM, John&LaLa said:

Im no expert, but i'll bet your examples don't cover 5% of the cruise fleet capacity.

I am confused.......have they opened up international flight travel in the US to other countries?

On 7/6/2020 at 3:54 PM, boatseller said:

Our cruise ports will be open soon and you will always be welcome in Florida...whenever you're allowed to leave.

In what universe will U.S. cruise ports be open "soon?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As every day passes and this goes on, the more I think cruising will end for 2020. I had hopes late Nov would happen, but alas I think it will not. The only way I could see it happening is limited ports, private islands only. I fully believe if cruise lines can sail they are going to sail. But they will have to offer people with cruises booked either discounts due to diminished offerings or an option to opt out to a future cruise. 

3 hours ago, bigrednole said:

As every day passes and this goes on, the more I think cruising will end for 2020. I had hopes late Nov would happen, but alas I think it will not. The only way I could see it happening is limited ports, private islands only. I fully believe if cruise lines can sail they are going to sail. But they will have to offer people with cruises booked either discounts due to diminished offerings or an option to opt out to a future cruise. 

NYC is far from back to normal, while they are soon to enter stage 3.  That is 5 months after the start of their Covid hit.  As a guess to when cruises might start, just add at minimum 5 months to today’s date in Florida, Texas and California as the earliest start time for sail from there. Remember while you do that, NYC is still no where ready to board a cruise ship.  

If those states/citizens continue with their laissez-faire attitude just add more time onto that moving date, for cruises to start with the major lines. That is over and above getting CDC approval, crewing the ships etc. I’m starting to doubt my March 2021 sailing is going to happen, or it might be one of the first to go.  

There are still a few that think it will start any day, but I would tend to lean away from that happening until the curve is truly flattened. 

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

As a guess to when cruises might start, just add at minimum 5 months to today’s date in Florida, Texas and California

Thanks for mentioning California. The media only mentions Florida and Texas. That should tell people something. 😇

M8

34 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Thanks for mentioning California. The media only mentions Florida and Texas. That should tell people something. 😇

M8

The media tells the people lots of stuff, and those that buy in will accept it no matter the political spectrum.  Unfortunately folks only look at one source today, and see the others are false narratives. Sometimes looking up, at the world around is not a bad idea.  Ferris Bueller might just have been onto something.

So long as the media isn't "state controlled" people will make their own decisions.  If they are right or wrong, that is an entirely different story.  Common sense isn't common anymore.  The Karen's and the Keiths of the world have to learn that yelling at someone is not going to change the reality of the situation nor the outcome.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

M8

Curious as to what that should tell people.

The news I read mentions all three.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, John Reid said:

Curious as to what that should tell people.

The news I read mentions all three.

My guess would be that 2 of the 3 states mention had a slow and weak response to covid - almost downplaying it, IMO - and are now in the midst of rising cases. The third state had a quick and strong response and kept it's curve flat until it started to reopen, only to see rising cases.

The former makes for a better news story than the latter. But again, that's just my guess / opinion. I don't want to say more for fear of thread deletion.

For the record, I see all 3 states mentioned a lot. And AZ as well. But I'm not keeping score. 😇

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

My guess would be that 2 of the 3 states mention had a slow and weak response to covid - almost downplaying it, IMO - and are now in the midst of rising cases. The third state had a quick and strong response and kept it's curve flat until it started to reopen, only to see rising cases.

The former makes for a better news story than the latter. But again, that's just my guess / opinion. I don't want to say more for fear of thread deletion.

For the record, I see all 3 states mentioned a lot. And AZ as well. But I'm not keeping score. 😇

All of my news sources mention all four as well. Not sure what sources would only mention TX and FL but not the other two hottest spots. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

The media tells the people lots of stuff, and those that buy in will accept it no matter the political spectrum.  Unfortunately folks only look at one source today, and see the others are false narratives. Sometimes looking up, at the world around is not a bad idea.  Ferris Bueller might just have been onto something.

So long as the media isn't "state controlled" people will make their own decisions.  If they are right or wrong, that is an entirely different story.  Common sense isn't common anymore.  The Karen's and the Keiths of the world have to learn that yelling at someone is not going to change the reality of the situation nor the outcome.

Great post....but as my husband is named Keith, I assure you that he would never act like a male "Karen" 😊 

Side note, I feel awful for those named Karen these days....who knew a very common and nice name would turn into an insult lol!

Also, I hear consistently about the 4 current hot spots on our local news, AZ included. I sadly have family in all 4 states so I watch intently and annoyingly check in with all of them. I also track the numbers daily, but on the weekends I try to put myself in a little bubble and stay away from the news for my own mental breather.

1 hour ago, justKirbo said:

All of my news sources mention all four as well. Not sure what sources would only mention TX and FL but not the other two hottest spots. 

Exactly, as mine do too.  Some people only see what they are looking for or what fits their thinking.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

NYC is far from back to normal, while they are soon to enter stage 3.  That is 5 months after the start of their Covid hit.  As a guess to when cruises might start, just add at minimum 5 months to today’s date in Florida, Texas and California as the earliest start time for sail from there. Remember while you do that, NYC is still no where ready to board a cruise ship.  

If those states/citizens continue with their laissez-faire attitude just add more time onto that moving date, for cruises to start with the major lines. That is over and above getting CDC approval, crewing the ships etc. I’m starting to doubt my March 2021 sailing is going to happen, or it might be one of the first to go.  

There are still a few that think it will start any day, but I would tend to lean away from that happening until the curve is truly flattened. 

I beginning to believe that the first half of 2021 is at risk. 

M8

• Like 3