Its time to move on from 2020

Just now, time4u2go said:

I believe they would change their minds after the last week in July. 

The employees of Disney are making $20 an hour on unemployment tax free until the end of July. The average hourly wage for WDW employees is less than $15 an hour. What would you say?

M8

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

The employees of Disney are making $20 an hour on unemployment tax free until the end of July. The average hourly wage for WDW employees is less than $15 an hour. What would you say?

M8

I would say there are no benefits on the unemployment line, if it's just about the money.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

M8

I don't doubt that most all of them will return to work.  I'm just not sure I agree with the statement that they are all "thrilled to be back".

4 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Guess you didn't actually read the article.  It's ok, pretty common.  I just glad the negative nellies aren't running the parks, cruise lines of State of Florida.  The bad new media can always find one of the Evil Queen's apples.

• Thanks 1

Just now, boatseller said:

Guess you didn't actually read the article.  It's ok, pretty common.  I just glad the negative nellies aren't running the parks, cruise lines of State of Florida.  The bad new media can always find one of the Evil Queen's apples.

Oh I read the article.  That's why I found your statement that all of the cast members are "thrilled to be back" rather laughable.

2 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I don't doubt that most all of them will return to work.  I'm just not sure I agree with the statement that they are all "thrilled to be back".

The parks are giving Cast Members, Team Members and Ambassadors a lot of accommodation when returning to work.  People who may have reason to be especially concerned are getting priority for backstage jobs.

And let's be realistic, theme parks aren't exactly germ free in non-C19 times.  So yes, the on-stage employees are there vastly by choice and are happy to be back.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Oh I read the article.  That's why I found your statement that all of the cast members are "thrilled to be back" rather laughable.

Laugh all you want.  They're all out having more fun.

Just as we will be when the first ships set sail.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I don’t believe “all” are “thrilled to be back”. I didn’t make that comment. I do believe there are some who are and some who are not. 

Florida is different than many of our Northern States. We don’t have high taxes or personal property taxes. Minimum wage here is not $15. We like it that way. We have issues with people who leave the high tax rate States that move to Florida and want to change us. 

I personally know local business owners who can’t get some of their furloughed employees back because they are making a lot more money without working. That’s my point. 

M8

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I don’t believe “all” are “thrilled to be back”. I didn’t make that comment. I do believe there are some who are and some who are not. 

Sorry, I was speaking of the person that stated that they are all thrilled to be back.

I agree with you, there are some that are thrilled to be back, and some that aren't.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

M8

Thought that all unemployment payments (both state Payments and the $600 per week until the end of July) were taxable income on Federal Income Tax Return.

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I personally know local business owners who can’t get some of their furloughed employees back because they are making a lot more money without working. That’s my point. 

M8

Exactly.

Which goes back to my point the other day.  If leaders grew at “set” and made mask wearing mandatory folks could return to work and the economy would recover. If individuals don’t want to wear a mask at work or a business, then they have no job, get no government money and the client can’t enter. Yes, there would still be some unemployment, but not the same levels. 

A simple piece of cloth has divided the country, yet soldiers had to endure much worse to fight for freedoms.  World War One soldiers had to pee on handkerchiefs and wear them on their faces to breath through, so the mustard gas did not kill them.  They did this as needed. Yet today’s “geniuses” don’t understand the simple fact, that if you can’t get spacial separation wear a mask. Instead they end up on Twitter looking like idiots. It’s a pandemic, not the sniffles. As the President said, it’s a war.  Sadly it seems as though the foot soldiers in this battle want the other side to win, by their actions alone.

Sounds simple, yet folks are too busy buying and selling hysteria form both sides of the discussion to see some simple reality in front of them.  So much divide between the two, that any common ground looks to be a land mine to them.

Until both side snap out of it, just expect more of the same.  

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, boatseller said:

I just glad the negative nellies aren't running the parks, cruise lines of State of Florida.  

The cruise lines are just waiting, they can’t afford to mess it up.  They aren’t going to risk  their livelihood to benefit the diehards with the mantra of, “give me cruises or give me death”.  Over and above, they won’t set sail until the CDC has given them approval.  

I think the negative nellies you speak of, in regards of the cruise lines, are the CDC.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dennis#1 said:

Thought that all unemployment payments (both state Payments and the $600 per week until the end of July) were taxable income on Federal Income Tax Return.

I was thinking payments under the CARE act were non taxable. Doesn’t matter, most in Florida that work at Disney and local restaurants and businesses don’t make $20 an hour. 

M8

6 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

The cruise lines are just waiting, they can’t afford to mess it up.  They aren’t going to risk  their livelihood to benefit the diehards with the mantra of, “give me cruises or give me death”.  Over and above, they won’t set sail until the CDC has given them approval.  

I think the negative nellies you speak of, in regards of the cruise lines, are the CDC.

Agree.  If the cruise lines start up too soon (or later this year),  and if  there are Covid-19 cases onboard during the cruise, might as well kiss the 2021 cruising season goodbye.

I just read the article about Carnival selling ships and they stated that when they resume sailing that ships will not be sailing at full capacity until AT LEAST 2022.  Never really thought about how long ships would sail at limited capacity.  That could be one nice thing.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, molly361 said:

I just read the article about Carnival selling ships and they stated that when they resume sailing that ships will not be sailing at full capacity until AT LEAST 2022.  Never really thought about how long ships would sail at limited capacity.  That could be one nice thing.

That doesn’t bode well for my just booked HSR Charter on Mariner Oct 2021. 

• Like 1

Here’s something to ponder.  

I am at one of the Baptist hospitals in Jax, FL right now for someone.  I was told by one of the nurses that they have approx. 100 Covid patients total in the their campuses in NE Florida.  Most of them are asymptomatic.  So I asked why they are in the hospital if they’re asymptomatic and the nurse explained that they’re in the hospital for other ailments.  They test everyone for Covid, and if positive they are segregated from others. 

Just bc a patient is in the hospital with Covid, doesn’t mean they’re in the hospital to be treated for Covid.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, boatseller said:

People have been made so scared of C19 that they are delaying treatments or not continuing treatments.

Suicides and overdoses are up dramatically due to isolation and people skipping therapy (forced or by choice).  I've seen 'experts' now worrying too many children are aren't getting vaccinations.  I can certainly see some being too afraid to go to the doctor for what should be a minor ailment if caught early.

All this is connected.  Too many look at C19 is complete isolation with no regard for side effects.

Back in March primary care physicians were were sending patients with Covid symptoms to urgent care sites. My son was sent there.  I'm not surprised that patients especially the elderly are not going to the Dr's office.  My mother who has congestive heart condition has been seeing the Dr via some house calls, as if it were 1950 and she has also had video visits.  My parents who are in their late 80's are becoming techies with online meal plans, Amazon and Doctor visits.

5 hours ago, time4u2go said:

If the states don't provide the information, from whom would the media ask for it?  How could they possibly compile it on their own?  Do they have some secret source of information that the states themselves do not have? 

Just because they don't provide it, doesn't mean they don't have it (also doesn't mean the media doesn't already have it, and just isn't reporting it).

Isn't that what journalists DO?  They dig, they call and ask questions - and yes - they have MANY secret sources.  That's how journalism works.

17 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Was just reading about UAL.  Business had begun to recover from April depths so they increased flight schedule.  Now, with resurgence of pandemic bookings are down 83% from last year and not expected to fully recover for years.   Cash burn rate is $40MM/day.  Sent WARN notices to 45% of US employees.  Other airlines also cutting flights and staff.  Question is, if airlines are that pessimistic about peoples willingness to spend a few hours in the air, how can cruise lines expect to get them to spend days on a ship?  There are only so many die hard cruisers.  Might  be a long road back.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, momofmab said:

The media likes to whip everyone up into a frenzy with their 10-second sound bites on daily positive test totals.  What they don't include in their info is how many of those who test positive are asymptomatic, how many have minor symptoms, how many have more aggressive symptoms but are recovering at home, how many had to visit an ER because of symptoms, how many were hospitalized and how many are in an ICU on a ventilator (& also, how many had pre-existing conditions).   

My 25 y.o. daughter and 9 of her friends tested positive 3 weeks ago after a girls trip weekend in a neighboring state.  One was asymptomatic and the other 8 had minor, unremarkable symptoms (all of them self-isolated after suspecting that they may have been exposed in a crowded restaurant with no social distancing requirements).  Thankfully, all have recovered.  As someone who is concerned about the virus, I feel much better about the daily number of positive tests when I am also given the information on the number of positives who are asymptomatic or who have symptoms and recover.  The media seems intent on riling everyone up with the bad news, without providing all the information.  Thank God they got rid of the "Covid Ticker" that used to run along the bottom of my TV screen!

You know, if the media hadn't whipped up a frenzy, there are those in power who would still be calling it a hoax. There are those in power who would like the coverage to disappear, as if ignoring will be the cure.

Coverage of the outbreak needs to be kept at the top of the list. Don't like the way it is being presented? Attention needs to be kept a high priority. You want an indication of how efforts are going, Chinese travelers are being allowed in countries where American travelers are not. I foresee that I won't/can't be flying to Iceland in August.

There are countries evaluating our efforts and levels of success, and they don't watch Wolf Blitzer OR Tucker Carlson to help make their decisions. And they don't care if the numbers are 9,688 or 10,004. They have the sense to know that doesn't matter. They are watching how things are trending in America, and the trends aren't good. Without a citizenry responsible enough to have a unified approach, we are peeing on a forest fire.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, momofmab said:

Isn't that what journalists DO?  They dig, they call and ask questions - and yes - they have MANY secret sources.  That's how journalism works.

Real journalism.  

There’s not many real journalists still out reporting, unfortunately.  

A lot of them just push a narrative from one side or the other.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There are small cracks in the wall stopping cruising.  Now Carnival might start from Germany with AIDA.  A small start but maybe a move in the direction of getting back to cruising.  This is good for the EU and Schengen to be returning to normal with new restrictions and rules for continuing to contain the spread of covid.  I hope this can lead in the direction that will allow more cruises to follow.  Then maybe the success can spread to other areas as  we work to get back to enjoying life and fellowship.

• Like 1