Official Update on Mardi Gras and Radiance from Carnival

13 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

We are being transferred to the Breeze which is ok with us.  We would have been just as satisfied with the Magic.  Both are beautiful ships. I'm sure there was a marathon conference room decision that made the Breeze a more viable replacement and I guess we will never know that reason. 

It's funny but Patti and I were developing a contingency plan for if our Radiance cruise in April was canceled, and one option for us was the Breeze from Ft. Lauderdale to the same ports! Other option was the Pride to Bermuda. 😎

• Like 1

I had a B2B booked on the Breeze in January with many friends for my 70th birthday. So, my question is do I get totally bumped or will I get offered the option to keep my cabin and cruise our of Port Canaveral instead?  I don't care which port it is, I picked these 2 cruises for the ship and booked Spa balcony for the therapy pool on the Breeze. Losing faith in Carnival and this is from a Diamond cruiser.

Pat

I saw this coming.  We changed our Radiance cruise ( Jan,2021) to the Legend out of Tampa (Jan 2021)  2 weeks later and it means we will be at sea when I turn 65 😉.   DId this 3 weeks ago and already got back the difference in fare.  Plus we scored a Vista suite! Didn't cost us anything to move it either!

baf

• Like 1

I think, JMO, if you schedule ANY cruise before 7/21, prepare for disappointments. Covid is running wild and its 5 month before flu season. If you don't believe that, believe this....nobody wants Americans anywhere near there countries right now. We are toxic. More ways than one!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have been staying 1/2 a step ahead of the cruise lines by having a Plan B (by now I am up to Plan L or M) for each cruise that could be cancelled.  They got me this time. I was going to book the Breeze for April 2021 when they cancel my October 2020 sailing.  I am much closer to Port Canaveral and either the Magic or the Breeze are fine with us, so maybe my most recent Plan B will be a positive change.  

Pat, I've already looked at alternatives for late January and not finding much that looks interesting.  There's a Journeys out of Charleston (so we wouldn't have to fly) but the prices are absurd.  I just don't understand why people are so eager to spend on these Journeys sailings.  You can sail 10-14 day cruises on other lines for less (and usually nicer ships, better food, etc).  But because it's Carnival, people pay.  SMH.

Anyway, I'm most disappointed because I used my Diamond upgrade for Breeze!  Beginning to wonder it I'll ever use it.  I'm sure the price to upgrade from IS to OV on one of our Legend sailings will be much more expensive, just to then move up to a BL.

I may end up on the 1/30 HAL Nieuw Amsterdam and use my FCC and OBC on that.  But that means not sailing with you for your b'day. 🙁

I could always NOT sail and save the money for Australia!

7 hours ago, Georgie562 said:

Honestly I don’t know why some of you are shocked about these cancellations. 

It was bound to happen. Best advice don’t book any cruises for 2020 as you will just be disappointed 

Are you reading the responses or just posting blindly? The only people that posted prior to you that are shocked weren’t booked in 2020 but 2021 and they weren’t booked on Mardi Gras or Radiance they were booked on Breeze.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, quickrate said:

I had a B2B booked on the Breeze in January with many friends for my 70th birthday. So, my question is do I get totally bumped or will I get offered the option to keep my cabin and cruise our of Port Canaveral instead?  I don't care which port it is, I picked these 2 cruises for the ship and booked Spa balcony for the therapy pool on the Breeze. Losing faith in Carnival and this is from a Diamond cruiser.

Pat

You get totally bumped.  Your cruise is cancelled outright.

If enough folks cancel their Radiance (now Breeze) bookings out of Pt Canaveral, or if the Radiance bookings that are re-assigned to Breeze don't occupy the cabin you picked, maybe you can re-book once they open that up.  But it will not auto-transfer, as far as I can tell.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser

35 minutes ago, quickrate said:

Pat

The Breeze cancellations are given the same option as the COVID cancellations. 100% refund or 100% FCC + $600 OBC. The Radiance people get our rooms and $200 OBC.

14 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Does anybody know what itineraries the Radiance was supposed to have in April 2021?  Radiance and Breeze are both grayed out/unavailable for booking this morning.

There are online travel sites that still show the itineraries but indicate cabins are unavailable.  Can't name TAs here. 

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t think Carnival has handled anything well lately due to COVID-19, so screwing over a lot more people than necessary does not surprise me at all. But as others have touched on, Carnival is all about money first (not that uncommon) so I doubt they care about anyone who might be upset by these changes. 

If you were on the Carnival board and have no control over the foriegn shipyards, what would be your suggestion on handling the ever fluid COVID 19 pandemic?  Keeping in mind that you have no funds coming in and your stock falling?

Edited by Butterbean1000
  • Like 4

I feel for those who were booked on Radiance and Mardi Gras, and for all who have had multiple cruises cancelled.  Love the Magic, but not out of Miami.  Would have booked a cruise out of Miami if I wanted to cruise out of there.  My condo (which I havent been to since Christmas break due to quarentine restrictions in and out of Florida, and now NY) is in FLL, and even though Miami is close, I would have booked direct air there with free miles I have from AA, and a free hotel room with my ihg points!  Oh well- enough crabbing for today.  It is what it is.  14 days to Diamond, and don't think I will get there now for a long, long time!  BTW - just checked-  sailings out of Miami are crazy expensive - would have to pay a lot more in price difference to rebook, plus change my air as the cruises sail the 9th, not the 10th, and I was supposed to fly in the afternoon of the 9th.  Nope - not happening.  

7 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

There are online travel sites that still show the itineraries but indicate cabins are unavailable.  Can't name TAs here. 

Got it, thank you.  Looks like the same itinerary for me, but out of a closer port.  Winner!  Unless you consider the fact that I would rather have gone in September (already cancelled) or October (expecting to be cancelled).

8 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

If you were on the Carnival board and have no control over the foriegn shipyards, what would be your suggestion on handling the ever fluid COVID 19 pandemic?  Keeping in mind that you have no funds coming in and your stock falling?

Indeed.

My work involves scheduling lots of inter-related activities that include international shipping and travel to international sites.  Oddly enough the COVID-19 situation has tangled it all up - and the lack of knowledge about how & where people are going to be allowed to travel is quite frustrating.

I am sure the complexities of my work pale in comparison to the task of building a cruise ship.

Carnival probably knew for sure a few weeks ago that this was going to happen this way, but they would have also had an obligation to clear all the contractual hurdles in the re-negotiated build out before announcing everything.  It is annoying, but that is how it has to be.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser

2 hours ago, Tjcalley said:

I was reading that people thought maybe Port Everglades and Miami might not be open to sail by then and that’s why the Breeze is going to Port Canaveral. I’m right next to that port and our numbers are much lower here 

Oh wow, now that makes sense.  I did not think of that.  It is because of the departure port.  Canaveral will be open before Miami/Everglades.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Why not just have Magic replace Radiance, instead of Breeze replacing Radiance and Magic replacing Breeze, but from a different port? Seems like Carnival made it more complicated than it needed to be. Of course the way things are going these days, none of this will matter if cruise lines are still not operating next year. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Why not just have Magic replace Radiance, instead of Breeze replacing Radiance and Magic replacing Breeze, but from a different port? Seems like Carnival made it more complicated than it needed to be. 

Brand Ambassador John Heald addressed this in his video this morning.  To make a long story short, it seems Carnival wants to clear out of Ft. Lauderdale for now and keep their presence in Port Canaveral.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Brand Ambassador John Heald addressed this in his video this morning.  To make a long story short, it seems Carnival wants to clear out of Ft. Lauderdale for now and keep their presence in Port Canaveral.

Thanks for the info/update.

• Thanks 1