Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?

Ken the cruiser

1 hour ago, K.T.B. said:

US is pausing the use of the J&J vaccine because of a potential blood clotting issue:  LINK

Makes one wonder if it is a class problem with the two vaccines based upon similar technology both having similar safety signals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

I will try to watch the episode and comment back. 

By the way, an overlooked and less known fact.   The mRNA vaccine technology was initially developed by two professors at the University Of Pennsylvania with discoveries dating back to 2005. In fact both Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech have licensed the mRNA technology from this university.  These two professors deserved to be mentioned here.   Drew Weissman, MD, PhD, and Katalin Karikó, PhD  and Dr. Kariko is now at BioNTech.  It is believed that both are in the running for a Nobel Prize in medicine or related scientific field.

See this short article for more information on these heroes.

https://www.pennmedicine.org/news/news-releases/2020/december/penn-mrna-biology-pioneers-receive-covid19-vaccine-enabled-by-their-foundational-research

I heard a short informational while driving about Jennifer Doudna and her work with mRna.  I found it fascinating and picked up the book "Code Breaker" by Walter Isaacson. Given that I don't have any sort of science background, it is a tough read but not dry at all and seriously cool.

11 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

All I know is, since I got vaccinated, my cellphone is getting great reception now!  Just a coincidence I'm sure.

My cell phone reception hasn't improved, but I do feel my TV set is tracking me and sending suggestions.

2 hours ago, mimbecky said:

I heard a short informational while driving about Jennifer Doudna and her work with mRna.  I found it fascinating and picked up the book "Code Breaker" by Walter Isaacson. Given that I don't have any sort of science background, it is a tough read but not dry at all and seriously cool.

Thanks for reminding me!  I have that book on my list to buy and read soon.

35 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

yeah, i can't imagine there being much enthusiasm for adenovirus or any virus vector vaccines for a while.

No matter how it turns out this will create a lot more vaccine resistance and hesitancy in the general population.  Even if J&J is cleared to resume after the review meeting with perhaps an included warning and treatment recommendations.  Cases are still about 1 per million but probably no coincidence given the AZ vaccine cases.  

The J and J  pause will reduce supply but safety  def comes first...

Announced today...Our State Univ  at Stoneybrook NY will be part of a study on Moderna effectiveness in reducing transmission. . One group will be vaccinated and the other not.  I assume  participation it will be voluntary,

3 hours ago, Homosassa said:

My cell phone reception hasn't improved, but I do feel my TV set is tracking me and sending suggestions.

I have had a strong desire to buy a new laptop since I got my first shot

Edited by nocl

Canada now has a higher per capita number of new cases than the US. Over the past year, Canada was able to maintain a lower number, but the respective positions of the two countries has now changed. This is being attributed to a successful rollout of vaccines in the US, while the slow start in Canada in January and February left provinces like B.C., Alberta, and Ontario, fighting variants of concern. The percentage of the population vaccinated in the US is almost double that of Canada, 35.3% versus 18.8%.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canada-is-outpacing-u-s-for-new-covid-19-cases-per-capita-1.5383072

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

No matter how it turns out this will create a lot more vaccine resistance and hesitancy in the general population.  Even if J&J is cleared to resume after the review meeting with perhaps an included warning and treatment recommendations.  Cases are still about 1 per million but probably no coincidence given the AZ vaccine cases.  

I had the same thought and it's such a shame.   So many people will overreact and not sit down and do the math that will tell them that even if the J&J vaccine did cause the clotting in those cases, the odds of getting deathly sick or dying from Covid-19 still FAR, FAR outweigh the chances of having any serious adverse vaccine effect.  And the sad part is that we will all suffer because of it, if it seriously delays herd immunity and allows vaccine resistant variants to develop.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I had the same thought and it's such a shame.   So many people will overreact and not sit down and do the math that will tell them that even if the J&J vaccine did cause the clotting in those cases, the odds of getting deathly sick or dying from Covid-19 still FAR, FAR outweigh the chances of having any serious adverse vaccine effect.  And the sad part is that we will all suffer because of it, if it seriously delays herd immunity and allows vaccine resistant variants to develop.  

Trying to reason with antivaxers can be a challenge.  I got a text from one that the Marines were not getting vaccinated.  I looked it up and 60% had already been jabbed.  That is higher than the rest of the population.  Antivaxxers will latch on to anything they can.  They are more interested in proving their point than finding the truth.  I do think that now they will argue this even though the numbers are low.

Edited by NMTraveller

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

The ironic thing is that this actually shows how seriously the FDA takes vaccine safety issues.  That the safety monitoring system works detecting a safety signal with 6 cases out of more than 7 million vaccinations.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Canada now has a higher per capita number of new cases than the US. Over the past year, Canada was able to maintain a lower number, but the respective positions of the two countries has now changed. This is being attributed to a successful rollout of vaccines in the US, while the slow start in Canada in January and February left provinces like B.C., Alberta, and Ontario, fighting variants of concern. The percentage of the population vaccinated in the US is almost double that of Canada, 35.3% versus 18.8%.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canada-is-outpacing-u-s-for-new-covid-19-cases-per-capita-1.5383072

So.....  it looks like they closed their borders more to protect the US than themselves.  (Too soon?)

8 hours ago, cantstopingcruising said:

How did this thing with Bill Gates ever get started?

Some people have very big imaginations!

https://www.bbc.com/news/52847648

A nice review (from last May) by BBC Reality Check of various false vaccine conspiracy theories generated and/or spread by Alex Jones, Roger Stone, a Russian Communist Party official, an Italian pharmacolgist, etc.

11 hours ago, nocl said:

The ironic thing is that this actually shows how seriously the FDA takes vaccine safety issues.  That the safety monitoring system works detecting a safety signal with 6 cases out of more than 7 million vaccinations.

Yes I agree with that.  But FDA was on the watch for this issue with J&J given the AZ vaccine with the same issue.  The vector involvement I guess.  But kind of strange since we all carry adenoviruses and they don't seem to be involved - at least historically.  But maybe that is yet to be discovered.