How are you all?

AndyMichelle

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 1:07 PM, Esprit said:

I remember one particular clash. A guy named Alan B•••••n went right off the rails and P&O were very slow to moderate the site. There was his DD Tracey who joined in the ongoing spat. 
I wonder where the likes of Derek K•••, Philip G•••••, & Elaine B•••• are?

I remember them all well! I do think about DK sometimes and wonder what he's up to. He did used to post here years ago. Do you remember the person who pretended to be a doctor and had everyone fooled for quite some time?

I was invited to the Adonia naming ceremony due to being a poster on the there and met quite a few people that I became friendly with some of whom I'm still in touch with.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

I remember them all well! I do think about DK sometimes and wonder what he's up to. He did used to post here years ago. Do you remember the person who pretended to be a doctor and had everyone fooled for quite some time?

I was invited to the Adonia naming ceremony due to being a poster on the there and met quite a few people that I became friendly with some of whom I'm still in touch with.

I met Derek when the White Sisters were being promoted in Southampton and have kept in touch with Karen W, Val S, and Alan & Katrina J. Don't remember the doctor though!

You wouldn't be Lyn L by any chance?  

21 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Just to let you all know my ex husband died last evening of his injuries.  We all feel it's probably for the best.  He wouldn't have been able to manage without his wife and his injuries were quite severe.  Thank you all again for your kind comments.  It's very sad.  No need to comment.  I know you are thinking of me x

I'm so sorry to hear this, sincerest condolences Jean.

• Like 2

Thanks again all.  As my step-daughter lives in Oz and the tragedy occurred in Florida, I have been able to help with things like state pension, airline pension etc.  Good to be useful.  She and I have a great relationship and I have been promised another visit when the dreaded covid is over.  My last on this subject.  I really appreciate all your good wishes.

• Like 13

I am quite deliberately moving this conversation on.

Went to Meadowhall shopping centre in Sheffield yesterday. A thoroughly dispiriting experience. 

A one way system in place  which sort of worked. But why ? You are not going to catch CV19  just by walking past someone.

Queues to get into some shops  (Zara - for example ) . No queue for Jo Brown!

Having to register to get a table in the food court was a pain- we went to the M&S cafe instead, with no queues which was nice.

But the biggest issue for us, was that apart from the M&S cafe, we had to keep masks on the entire time. In a normal High Street you can at least take your mask off inbetween popping into various stores.

Added to this, was the fact that you couldn't try any clothes on. I'm still not convinced that I am going to drop dead from CV19 by trying on a pair of jeans that someone else touched 48 hours ago.

Anyway, the good news is that the most dangerous part of the trip, which was driving 100 miles, was done safely.

And of course,  we also went to IKEA  - good to know that the Billy bookcase is still going strong after all these years!

Edited by wowzz

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

I am quite deliberately moving this conversation on.

Went to Meadowhall shopping centre in Sheffield yesterday. A thoroughly dispiriting experience. 

A one way system in place  which sort of worked. But why ? You are not going to catch CV19  just by walking past someone.

Queues to get into some shops  (Zara - for example ) . No queue for Jo Brown!

Having to register to get a table in the food court was a pain- we went to the M&S cafe instead, with no queues which was nice.

But the biggest issue for us, was that apart from the M&S cafe, we had to keep masks on the entire time. In a normal High Street you can at least take your mask off inbetween popping into various stores.

Added to this, was the fact that you couldn't try any clothes on. I'm still not convinced that I am going to drop dead from CV19 by trying on a pair of jeans that someone else touched 48 hours ago.

Anyway, the good news is that the most dangerous part of the trip, which was driving 100 miles, was done safely.

And of course,  we also went to IKEA  - good to know that the Billy bookcase is still going strong after all these years!

We were at Bluewater the other day, the one way system really confused me at times because I couldn’t turn out of a shop to go the quickest route and had to keep correcting myself! 
Re the masks, we kept ours on but I noticed many many people wearing them on their chins between shops!

The most annoying thing is booking in advance for restaurants. The thing we like about Bluewater is there are quite a few restaurants there so if one looks busy we go elsewhere! Wagamama had a 40 minute queue!!

Anyway, we didn’t stay long...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

We were at Bluewater the other day, the one way system really confused me at times because I couldn’t turn out of a shop to go the quickest route and had to keep correcting myself! 
Re the masks, we kept ours on but I noticed many many people wearing them on their chins between shops!

The most annoying thing is booking in advance for restaurants. The thing we like about Bluewater is there are quite a few restaurants there so if one looks busy we go elsewhere! Wagamama had a 40 minute queue!!

Anyway, we didn’t stay long...

Once our quarantine finishes we'll be in Bluewater next weekend with a table booked at Zizzi's. I've really missed my favourite pasta dish.

• Like 2

I'll be there too...meeting all the girls from the office who I met between 87 and 2003.. Some of them still meet once a week or more.  I  travel up to Bluewater for lunch and a gossip about every three months.

We can't be missed.. there's probably 8 or 9 of us with three lots of chatter/gossip going on at once, and we hear/understand every conversation!!!!😄 Chaos

• Like 4

I’m missing browsing at Bluewater, I might brave it soon. Although I think a trip to Ikea might be first. I’m working on lists for them both.
We’re taking daughter and baby Grandson to Dover tomorrow. I’ve booked tickets for the castle but planning on going to see the cruise ships in port too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

Yesterday I met my friend for coffee at Trentham Gardens then we decided to have a stroll around the outdoor shopping village. It was the most ridiculous experience yet because the number of people who don't understand that the arrows mean that you have to walk in the direction that they point was unbelievable.  We both wore our masks even though we were outside because so many people don't know that you still have to social distance.  Like P&O Sue we noticed how many people wear masks below their chin or just covering their noses.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Yesterday I met my friend for coffee at Trentham Gardens then we decided to have a stroll around the outdoor shopping village. It was the most ridiculous experience yet because the number of people who don't understand that the arrows mean that you have to walk in the direction that they point was unbelievable.  We both wore our masks even though we were outside because so many people don't know that you still have to social distance.  Like P&O Sue we noticed how many people wear masks below their chin or just covering their noses.

It's bad enough folks ignoring the one-way system in our local M&S, I cannot imagine a large scale version in a shopping centre! 

Social distancing is not being practised down here in Salcombe at all.  OK they wear masks to go in shops, but crowds of them in the streets.  They don't follow the signs to keep to the left.  Youngsters having parties in the evenings.  

I've been feeling stressed for a few days and had some chest pains. That's nothing new, it's happened on occasions in the past and I usually find a coping strategy to alleviate it. However, for the first time ever the pain (a dull ache) went through to my back between the shoulder blades when I was laid in bed. 

I thought that it was a one-off but it happened again two nights running so I called the doctor who agreed that it was probably due to stress but suggested that I should have an "MOT" at A&E. I have to say that the process at Leeds General Infirmary was as seamless as it could be and in just over 2 and a half hours I had a blood test, ECG, blood pressure taken and x-rays. All the results were fine with nothing suspicious at all so they concluded that it is stress related. Overnight it happened again so I ended up going downstairs and sitting up to watch TV at 2:30am this morning before eventually dozing off around an hour later.

The question remains though, what is causing the pain to radiate through to my back? The bed mattress is only 18 months old so I don't think it's that. I did wash the pillows last week and they became misshaped so that is a possibility. The other thing is maybe I am spending too much time sat at the dinner table using my laptop (even though I use a seat support).

Today I'm using my laptop only in our spare bedroom / office with a proper desk and adjustable chair to see if that helps. We've also got a few ideas such as swapping to old pillows and maybe even trying Kyle's bed.

If anyone has previous experience of this I'd appreciate their thoughts and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Edited by DamianG

I feel for you Damian.  Back pain isn’t good.  You did the right thing though in getting the chest pains checked out and the results must be very reassuring. Perhaps even reassuring enough to allow you to relax physically more and maybe lessen the other pains.

The GP would probably refer you to a physio if it continued, and they’re excellent at dealing with the problem - and identifying the source. Rather better, I’d suggest, than any of us might be!

Beds, pillows, chairs, posture - could be anything.  I’d recommend the physio route. If the GP has any other concerns, of course, he or she can make any necessary referral.

Edited by Harry Peterson

57 minutes ago, DamianG said:

I've been feeling stressed for a few days and had some chest pains. That's nothing new, it's happened on occasions in the past and I usually find a coping strategy to alleviate it. However, for the first time ever the pain (a dull ache) went through to my back between the shoulder blades when I was laid in bed. 

I thought that it was a one-off but it happened again two nights running so I called the doctor who agreed that it was probably due to stress but suggested that I should have an "MOT" at A&E. I have to say that the process at Leeds General Infirmary was as seamless as it could be and in just over 2 and a half hours I had a blood test, ECG, blood pressure taken and x-rays. All the results were fine with nothing suspicious at all so they concluded that it is stress related. Overnight it happened again so I ended up going downstairs and sitting up to watch TV at 2:30am this morning before eventually dozing off around an hour later.

The question remains though, what is causing the pain to radiate through to my back? The bed mattress is only 18 months old so I don't think it's that. I did wash the pillows last week and they became misshaped so that is a possibility. The other thing is maybe I am spending too much time sat at the dinner table using my laptop (even though I use a seat support).

Today I'm using my laptop only in our spare bedroom / office with a proper desk and adjustable chair to see if that helps. We've also got a few ideas such as swapping to old pillows and maybe even trying Kyle's bed.

If anyone has previous experience of this I'd appreciate their thoughts and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Just heard from a friend who's a retired nurse so asked her and her suggestion is trapped wind. Sorry it's not a more glamorous diagnosis.😕

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AnnieC said:

Just heard from a friend who's a retired nurse so asked her and her suggestion is trapped wind. Sorry it's not a more glamorous diagnosis.😕

That's why I asked about the upper chest and throat. Frank had those exact symptoms once and thought he was having a heart attack. Simple case of trapped wind.

Avril

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Social distancing is not being practised down here in Salcombe at all.  OK they wear masks to go in shops, but crowds of them in the streets.  They don't follow the signs to keep to the left.  Youngsters having parties in the evenings.  

But quite a few posters on here are saying that they are meeting up with friends for coffee. Why is it ok for them  not to social distance,  but not youngsters ?

13 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

That's why I asked about the upper chest and throat. Frank had those exact symptoms once and thought he was having a heart attack. Simple case of trapped wind.

Avril

Shall we all lie low until it's well and truly untrapped?😂

• Haha 2

😂

Continuing the personal health thing - I’ve just booked my flu vaccination for mid September.  Is it me or is that a little earlier than they usually get going?  Anyway, hopefully that’ll be me with a bit/lot/total protection against seasonal flu 20/21

Every little helps 🙄

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Shall we all lie low until it's well and truly untrapped?😂

Thanks Annie and Avril, as I mentioned I am "self-isolating" in our spare bedroom / office today! 😁

I've also been to the Chemist and bought the biggest bottle of Gaviscon that they have.

9 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Thanks Annie and Avril, as I mentioned I am "self-isolating" in our spare bedroom / office today! 😁

I've also been to the Chemist and bought the biggest bottle of Gaviscon that they have.

Gaviscon might well do the trick if the problem’s caused by reflux (aka heartburn), which it could be. Could equally well be muscular, maybe caused by sitting badly.

Your GP is trained to diagnose and treat though. We’re not. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1