The Daily for Wednesday Aug 19, 2020

richwmn

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Imagine having a gun safe that a 5 year old can get into. I fear that it was left unlocked or open. Sigh.

The pics are from different places actually. Venice, Istanbul & Kona, HI.  

And today’s storms are supposed to mirror yesterday’s. Hope they are wrong. At least I do not have to add water to the pool.

Stay well!

Three of my favourite places!  We usually spend winters in Kona and love Venice.  Hope we can return to Istanbul one day!  Wondering If that is the cisterns?  

Our cruise to Tahiti this fall was also cancelled,  not sure if that one is star crossed! 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

A few photos from our last 2 cruises (sniff).  SO glad we got to do them before Covid.  It was an amazing trip, 75 days in the Med -- some land time in France, then wondrous cruises on the Nieuw Statendam and Koningsdam.  We renewed our vows for our 50th anniversary aboard the NS.  Loved that ship!!  Cannot wait to cruise again.  Chateau Villandry;  Kotor, Montenegro ; Corfu ;  Santorini and Herculaneum.

Herculaneum is on my list of must visits.   I've been to Pompeii, but have read that Herculaneum is just as good.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Here’s my contribution for “On This Day: Travel Edition”  It was taken at Rock Creek in the eastern Sierra, along the trail:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I enjoy all the photos but especially those connected with this date.

Roy

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Has anyone tried the online food "Freshly"? My sister, who is a great cook, had dinner at my nieces house and my niece served these meals. My sis said they were delicious, fresh and you microwave it! There's like 30 meal suggestions. I think I'll give it a try. 

Have used them.... and they were good. I got them when I was unable to cook for awhile.

Susan

• Like 5

Promenade des Angleis where our place has been in the family forever. We were to be there this past April but our 3 cruises canceled. 
Rich thank you Sir for a fun Daily!!

Todays dinner will be a cold seafood salad with pasta! We are having a heat wave. Here at the coast it was 89 yesterday! Woke up this am and inside our house already getting warm! Have the ocean breeze but it is still warm already! We might not walk till this evening!
Have a wonderful day to all!!

🌺Love to my sisters and Ann the wine looks promising!! Thanks for the review. 
Joy you are absolutely right! Made it out in time to come home! WOW!

🌺 HAVE A BEAUTIFUL DAY

DENISE😊

image.thumb.jpeg.52932cff7ea577ada1c8c396623c3b60.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9341600b7c11d4448c6c8a812da21cb3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cf21eff5eeff3c9c0611819a13f73bf8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1bee2b088155a9d4adbb6dd6749085e9.jpeg

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, dfish said:

Herculaneum is on my list of must visits.   I've been to Pompeii, but have read that Herculaneum is just as good.

Definitely get to Herculaneum too.  It's smaller, but very much worth going to.  We had been to Pompeii twice before so chose this last time. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

image.thumb.png.b553a7c868fbb17c2c1e45783e83930b.png

One of my favorite places, Praia da Vitoria, Terceira Island, The Azores. I lived near here for 15 months a long time ago and was able to visit 9/27 & 28/2017. I was supposed to stop here on the TransAtlantic cruise this year that was cancelled.

We agree that Praia da Vitoria is a lovely town. If we are ever able to do another transatlantic, we would pick the one that stops there! Here are a couple more shots of our one and only visit to Praia in Spring 2018 -

We were going to hike up to the monument but then the rains came -

image.thumb.png.7a54ee28a7d3baab8ef2996b87a36807.png

Looking back at the Koningsdam - 

image.thumb.png.69d20109df7ce633b9298103a42310b0.png

Harbor breakwater - 

image.thumb.png.2cb2786c6b6eb3885f19781c6590c666.png

• Like 6

Good morning, everyone!   Roy, I'm shaking my head at the kid in the gun safe.  I hope the parents will take better safety precautions after this episode.  

Everyone's pictures are wonderful!  I'm sharing some pics from a visit to Watkins Glen Gorge.  We walked all 800 and some steps from one end to the other.   We probably walked them on the way back as well.  

Sue 220 (2).JPG

Sue 203 (2).JPG

Sue 200 (2).JPG

Sue 187 (2).JPG

• Like 9

Rich , thanks for the DAILY. It is so good of you to keep he fleet report during the "30 day pause" that started six months ago. With the VOLENDAM heading from Durban to Gibraltar I wonder what is up. Is she heading to The Netherlands to anchor with the Zaandam and the Nieuw Statendam or off to market to be sold?

Thanks to all who posted pictures.   You people are so talented.  My best to all!

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!   Roy, I'm shaking my head at the kid in the gun safe.  I hope the parents will take better safety precautions after this episode.  

I was partially in error about this.  It was done with hand tools and not the jaws of life.  A huge gun safe.  No further details are available but it was in the westernmost and most rural part of the county where most of the houses are more like mansions.

Capture.JPG.34c5457e3a2df81b5146d58bcceda1bd.JPG

Roy

• Like 5

Not sure what's up with Volendam.  This morning she was far north of Durban headed South and she's still on that track although her AIS still says Gibralter.  Not sure if she started towards the Suez and decided to go around the horn instead or if she's returning to Durban for something.

Roy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Wow, Jacqui! Spectacular photos!

They are just IPad photos Cat 😉. Since I got the newer one, I use it a lot.  All my garden photos are taken with it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I was partially in error about this.  It was done with hand tools and not the jaws of life.  A huge gun safe.  No further details are available but it was in the westernmost and most rural part of the county where most of the houses are more like mansions.

Capture.JPG.34c5457e3a2df81b5146d58bcceda1bd.JPG

Roy

WOW!  It’s still a big WOW IMO.  So glad the little one was rescued.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Three of my favourite places!  We usually spend winters in Kona and love Venice.  Hope we can return to Istanbul one day!  Wondering If that is the cisterns?  

Our cruise to Tahiti this fall was also cancelled,  not sure if that one is star crossed! 

That is the cisterns. Fascinating site. 

• Like 4

Good morning, all, and thank you, Rich and Roy for all the information.

We don't usually travel in the summer, it is a nice time to stay home, we think.  This year we had planned a cruise so we would be out of town for my birthday, but that didn't work, so we are here anyway!  No travel photos, but DD had spent a year building a turtle for the garden, (first picture, if you can make him out), but the dear deer had decided he was a delicious turtle, so he has lost his head and become an orb to hang in the oak tree by the driveway (second picture).  I do have a feeling that "Orb" may be just the right height for a deer buffet!

1262218174_IMG_50312.thumb.jpeg.1946c2dabbb9603aa25e2cdd19185fc4.jpeg

IMG_5167.thumb.jpeg.c1daca9d34c0127481047283bf18bbed.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Promenade des Angleis where our place has been in the family forever. We were to be there this past April but our 3 cruises canceled. 
Rich thank you Sir for a fun Daily!!

Todays dinner will be a cold seafood salad with pasta! We are having a heat wave. Here at the coast it was 89 yesterday! Woke up this am and inside our house already getting warm! Have the ocean breeze but it is still warm already! We might not walk till this evening!
Have a wonderful day to all!!

🌺Love to my sisters and Ann the wine looks promising!! Thanks for the review. 
Joy you are absolutely right! Made it out in time to come home! WOW!

🌺 HAVE A BEAUTIFUL DAY

DENISE😊

Wow that is hot for your neck of the woods! Stay well, Sis!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Everyone's pictures are wonderful!  I'm sharing some pics from a visit to Watkins Glen Gorge.  We walked all 800 and some steps from one end to the other.   We probably walked them on the way back as well.  

Sue 220 (2).JPG

Sue 203 (2).JPG

Sue 200 (2).JPG

Wow, Debbie!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Sue 220 (2).JPG

Sue 203 (2).JPG

Sue 200 (2).JPG

Sue 187 (2).JPG

That brings back great memories.  I grew up just outside Syracuse and I think the summer between my Sophomore and Junior years of high school my family vacationed there.  I was enrolled in summer school (I think driver ed) and could only spend the weekend there before catching a bus back home.  The following week was my first real week of independent living.  I returned 2 years later for my Senior class outing.

Roy

• Like 5