The Daily for Monday Aug 24, 2020

richwmn

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

This thread has been an inspiration for many things for me. And in unexpected ways.  Friday was International Spumoni Day and @Vict0riann shared some pictures of her yellow peony plant. That started some fun conversation that got this brain started. And combined with newly retired time on hands, lead to this:

Dad comes to dinner and family time on Sundays. Yesterday I made veggie pizza ( wasn’t that celebrated early last week?)

(Wine was Bogel’s Red Blend- a family favorite.)

76584968-44D9-4692-84CC-7A3E3EA18CD1.jpeg

Dessert was a salute to Anne’s Peony.

Above is her plant: 

25C39374-90C5-4A69-A203-1043A08EF192.jpeg
Our dessert: Peonie Pies

It consisted of a lemon whoopie pie filled with ricotta cannoli filling and raspberry, pistachio flavored marscapone, and a scoop of homemade chocolate gelato, garnished with blueberries and chopped pistachios.

Its a nod to Spumoni and cannolis.

This is truly a work of art.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

Hi all - I'm also a daily reader --- thanks for the info, pictures, etc.

Welcome 🙂. Nice to see you posting.  Please feel free to join in.  We’re a pretty friendly bunch and this is an uplifting thread.  

• Like 5

Here in Florida, well, it is August and it is very warm and humid.  As the AC continues to run, and I'm very thankful it works, I decided to search for a cooler cruise memory.  This was taken from the Zaandam in the Chilean fjords.

IMG_0820.JPG

Edited by St Pete Cruiser
  • Like 10

Thank you again for this wonderful thread. It has become my " happy place". 

I was at the grocery store this AM , and was using one of my HAL canvas bags. Another woman stopped me and we had a very enjoyable chat about our cruising days, "the bags" and our hope for a return to cruising.  Great start to my day.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Thanks Roy!  I guess I shouldn’t read too quickly!  

One of our favourite officers, on the Zuiderdam.  

image.thumb.jpeg.d90a21426635b21ef35509e3e982d3ca.jpeg

One awesome lady to work with, now a staff captain, and I predict, HAL's first female captain!

• Like 11

Hi, Rich! Thanks for the daily! Alexa told me it is Waffle Day, so we're having waffles for supper I think today. That or sausages and rice.

Happy thoughts for those on Roy's Care and Celebrations list!

Welcome to @ChaCr and @57redbird today. If I missed anyone, I apologize.

Great pictures of Vesuvius from @Copper10-8 and @Cruising-along  Just spectacular. The other pictures posted, too, are beautiful. Love seeing the crew!

Another hot and humid day today in SW Ontario. I'm tired of the AC, but I do like a bit of heat!

Blessings to all! Be well! Stay Safe! Be kind!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

One awesome lady to work with, now a staff captain, and I predict, HAL's first female captain!

We were very fortunate to have her join us for Thanksgiving dinner on-board.   So wonderful to hear of her promotion!   I think you could be right!  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 6

Another lurker here checking in. Since I am pretty well hanging close to home these days, I am very much enjoying the chit-chat and the wonderful pictures. Am hopeful of future cruises since there are many places I still need to see.

Susan

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Another lurker here checking in. Since I am pretty well hanging close to home these days, I am very much enjoying the chit-chat and the wonderful pictures. Am hopeful of future cruises since there are many places I still need to see.

Susan

Hi there! Welcome to the Daily “crew”!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

So Claudio is coming back this morning and adding some more trees and flowers. I'm tied between the black diamond crape myrtle and the twilight myrtle. Anyone have suggestions?

I don't have personal experience but when my Mother and her husband lived in San Antonio they had crape myrtle and it was lovely.  Looking at the photos of both I prefer the twilight.

• Like 5

Thank you for the Daily Rich. 

And yes! Copper please post crew photos!

I don't have immediate access to any of my Vesuvius photos right now so am appreciating all those who have posted photos.  Not into really strange music.  Also not into cauliflower but do enjoy it once in a while as a veggie.  I've already put pork chops in the crock pot for dinner.  First time I've made this recipe so hopefully it's good.

Loving all the photos and new posters.  Keep posting!!!!  That is what makes this thread so enjoyable. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 6

Love roasted califlower with just a very basic cheddar cheese sauce.   Strange music for some reason made me think of The Monster Mash followed immediately by the Flying Purple Eater. Now both songs are lodged  in my head.  Showing my age I guess.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Since this has become such an uplifting thread in these days of non-cruising, with Rich' permission, I was thinking about adding a daily "HAL crew" photo. Something along the lines of a "behind the scenes" pic of a crew only area such as the bridge, engine room, crew mess, officers bar, Christmas choir celebrations, crew party, port arrival stations, etc. Again, only with Rich' permission since this is "his" thread................. 

Copper I have been following your posts since the day I first joined cruise critic. I hope to meet you someday. your photo with you dog looks a lot like a young man that used to work with me before he quit to join the LAPD hopefully as a canine officer.

Jane

• Like 6

A question for @kazu do you have to label all your bulbs so you know what they are and where to plant them in the spring?  I can't imagine keeping track of all of them!

I knew I had a pic of the two of us with Mt Vesuvius in the background; I just had to wait till the little guy was down for a nap and his older brother had gone out for a walk with his parents so I could find it.

image.thumb.jpeg.997f858e54d433e97773ced322495bea.jpeg

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 11