Cruise Critic News: Popular Carnival Cruise Director Matt Mitcham Announces Retirement

jimbo5544

27 minutes ago, ecarbine said:

New Brand Ambassador perhaps?

Well, as mentioned above, he might have been scooped up by Virgin Voyages cruise line. 

And Heald stated something like "Matt has retired from Carnival, best of luck to him" etc.

I was positing my suggestion based on Matt's statement: "I’m still going to be posting daily about this awesome cruise line...", and his early "...this isn’t the end. We will be back to work together in the future."

I don't know what to extrapolate from that any more.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Well, as mentioned above, he might have been scooped up by Virgin Voyages cruise line. 

And Heald stated something like "Matt has retired from Carnival, best of luck to him" etc.

I was positing my suggestion based on Matt's statement: "I’m still going to be posting daily about this awesome cruise line...", and his early "...this isn’t the end. We will be back to work together in the future."

I don't know what to extrapolate from that any more.

His daily messages, assuming they would be about Carnival, might be provided as the opinion of a fan. It also could be an attempt to capture engagement and keep his fan base active to assist with the expansion of his girlfriend’s hustle that he routinely promotes on his Instagram. If you want to make money though, he suggests you slide into his DMs.

Edited by xDisconnections

• Administrators

(12:35 p.m. EDT) -- Popular Carnival cruise director Matt Mitcham -- who famously signed off onboard announcements and videos with his catchphrase, "Bye, I said, bye!" -- unveiled his retirement today. In a Facebook live video from his home in London, Mitcham, who had been slated to be the cruise director of Carnival Cruise Line's next ...

news?d=yIl2AUoC8zA news?d=qj6IDK7rITs
SWa1Vy7Kp4w

View the full article

I've cruised with Matt as CD a few times, going back to 2014... I still think Mike Pack is better... I have a couple of Virgin Voyages cruises booked next year, so maybe if the rumors are true, I'll run into him there...

Edited by sid_9169

I've said this often enough in this forum:  My favorite CD is the one with a week long case of laryngitis.

Carnival seems to have the loudest CDs who have constant announcements and make the most long winded blah blah blah about events "you won't want to miss" or excursions "you want to be on, hurry, because they will sell out", or sales/shows that "are our most popular that everyone will be at, so get there early".

When I started sailing other lines, I realized it was possible to have a snooze on a deck lounger without being awakened by the CD (again!).

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, evandbob said:

I've said this often enough in this forum:  My favorite CD is the one with a week long case of laryngitis.

Carnival seems to have the loudest CDs who have constant announcements and make the most long winded blah blah blah about events "you won't want to miss" or excursions "you want to be on, hurry, because they will sell out", or sales/shows that "are our most popular that everyone will be at, so get there early".

When I started sailing other lines, I realized it was possible to have a snooze on a deck lounger without being awakened by the CD (again!).

Sheesh......⬆️

gratitude-cartoon.png

Matt Mitcham retiring from Carnival (THE TOPIC) will be missed by so many. 

✌️

• Like 2

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

While I do agree with this post that I, too, have never cared who the CD was and they usually are more of a game show host announcer on the PA, especially on Carnival, but I do have to concede that Matt was one of the better ones.

We went on a charter cruise last year on Royal and the only time we heard the CD was during the lead up to muster and debarkation. Otherwise we never heard a peep.

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

My favorite is the “we just added this last minute special excursion to xxx.” Hurry and sign up because this special excursion is going to sell out fast. The CD announcements don’t bother me as much as they appear to bother you, but I do agree the ones on Carnival tend to talk probably 2-3 more times than the ones on other cruise lines that we have been on. 

I think he might be the next brand Ambassador for Carnival, but would love for him to resurface at Virgin.  

We really like Mike Peck, and will be glad to see him on the Mardi Gras.  

Until we had the pleasure of sailing with a great CD, we didn't realize how much they can enhance your cruise experience.  Case in point, a Muster Drill with Dr. E was actually a FUN experience.   

• Like 4

Matt was the best. He will do well where ever he goes. Loved Josh Big Sexy, he’s now a PVP (I think that’s right) I guess I’m in the minority about Mike Pack. He was lousy, but maybe he was just having a bad week when we cruised. I got sick of hearing “run like a gazelle”. Can’t even remember the others we have had. 

2 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Nature of the business — probably comes with a better paycheck also.

I would tend to doubt that, too. However, Carnival does have a decent retirement package based on years of service and salary. JH will probably have a good one.

2 hours ago, lazydayz said:

Until we had the pleasure of sailing with a great CD, we didn't realize how much they can enhance your cruise experience.  Case in point, a Muster Drill with Dr. E was actually a FUN experience.   

Dr E muster drill was hilarious for us. It was then I start to pay attention to CD's. Had Mike Pack after that and like him also. But Dr E is #1 for us. 

I wish they would give him new ship to roll out.

• Like 1