The Daily for Monday Aug 31, 2020

richwmn

4 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Yesterday I learned that my local grocery store removed the “one-way” directional signs on the aisles and the social distance markers at the checkout lines, because there were too many fights! Fights! I live in an area where at 80% of the residents are retired. I understand these times are stressful, but fights? I really need The Daily today.

Incredible!  I'm not sure how effective the one way arrow are but most everything we do affects the rate of spread of Covid.  There's no magic bullet but every positive action we take slows the spread a little bit and even several simple things added together have an effect.  There can be debate about how much we are willing to inconvenience ourselves to slow the spread but we should all agree that picking the low hanging fruit should be a given.  Masks, the floor markers, the arrows are all very small sacrifices that can affect the spread probably as much taken together as limited opening of schools versus no in person classes.  Doing the easy things first should be a given.  We need to go beyond those simple steps but refusing to take them just makes it that much harder to get to an acceptable result.

Roy

• Like 8

I don't much care for flank steak, to tough, but I would do anything for a Steak Diane about now.

I will bring Marshmallows to the picnic , along with Hershey bars and graham crackers. Just so we can make sMores.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

I don't much care for flank steak, to tough, but I would do anything for a Steak Diane about now.

I will bring Marshmallows to the picnic , along with Hershey bars and graham crackers. Just so we can make sMores.

I love those! A few days ago we had marshmallow day.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Always eat dessert first..

That's what my great-grandfather did. He was both a medical doctor and veterinarian, never knew when he would be called. To this day his descendants, when at family reunion picnics, select our desserts first rather than starting at the salad end of the serving line. The in-laws got together many years ago and decided it was ok as long as we didn't eat the desserts first and left some for them to select. Gotta keep family traditions intact.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, superoma said:

Oh we had the most wonderful flank steak yesterday prepared by our SIL and two salads, one an Italian bread salad, the other arugula, nectarines and blue cheese. Lovely Sunday dinner. Couldn’t eat outside because of the wasps.

I will bring coleslaw to the picnic. Doesn’t fit with the instructions but I am craving some!

Today’s wine comes from a small town (Iphofen) only ten km (6miles) from my husbands home town of Mainstockheim. Franconia is a great wine growing region in the state of Bavaria and I find most German white wines tend to be dry and not sweet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you, I will tuck the wine note away for future reference!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Incredible!  I'm not sure how effective the one way arrow are but most everything we do affects the rate of spread of Covid.  There's no magic bullet but every positive action we take slows the spread a little bit and even several simple things added together have an effect.  There can be debate about how much we are willing to inconvenience ourselves to slow the spread but we should all agree that picking the low hanging fruit should be a given.  Masks, the floor markers, the arrows are all very small sacrifices that can affect the spread probably as much taken together as limited opening of schools versus no in person classes.  Doing the easy things first should be a given.  We need to go beyond those simple steps but refusing to take them just makes it that much harder to get to an acceptable result.

Roy

It is bizarre Roy. I am happy that I did not see any of this behavior.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

Oh my!   I NEED this recipe! 

Passion Fruit Pie:

Here's the recipe. It's pretty quick and easy to make, but needs time to chill. We think it is better the following day.

• I've substituted Key Limes and regular limes and they came out well. (Actually, the Key Lime was better than the regular lime.) 
  • Maria's are a Mexican cookie that is sort of like an Animal Cracker with a fresh lemony flavor. I buy them by the large box (like below) as opposed to a "roll" of them. 

2e22e3ce-8a18-4386-a4d9-18b87a951915_1.06b1b42f96b7e6250804ec90fc8b78b3.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

PassionFruitPie.pdf

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Okay, so my neighbor just ran his deer cam from last night and the critter that is robbing our bird feeders is:

A SKUNK! 

@kazu, you were right about me keeping a feeder out. That sneaky little critter!

Ooh that just stinks.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

45 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Okay, so my neighbor just ran his deer cam from last night and the critter that is robbing our bird feeders is:

A SKUNK! 

@kazu, you were right about me keeping a feeder out. That sneaky little critter!

Oh ugh on a skunk.

Any mothballs?  As long as you have no pets that go around the bird feeder, mothballs have been known to deter skunks (trust me, I know 😉 ).  They will have to be replaced as time passes but they don’t like the smell.  Your birds won’t be interested so they won’t hurt them since you will be putting them on the ground.  Lay a little perimeter of them around the bird feeder.  Then ask your neighbour to set up the webcam again and see if it works or if you need to add more or expand the perimeter.

You want to discourage that skunk asap.  They can dig up lawns not to mention spray a noxious smell.  Good luck.

I HATE skunks.  And porcupines due to my dogs.  We had a porcupine on top of our pergola once pigging out on the grapes.  I have no idea how it got in but I was so glad when it finally was gotten out.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Great choice of days today, Rich. Love he quote, but I do have flashes of not remembering. 😉
Prayers for those on the Care list.

I'll bring a raspberry trifle and some rosé to the picnic if I haven't missed it.

Blessings for a safe and happy day!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hello to everyone. It seems that I am the guest who arrives late to the party but I am bringing chocolate cupcakes so I hope I can be forgiven. 

Thanks for the daily update, it is so interesting to see each ship’s progress.

thanks for another Riesling selection, it is my favorite.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Passion Fruit Pie:

Here's the recipe. It's pretty quick and easy to make, but needs time to chill. We think it is better the following day.

• I've substituted Key Limes and regular limes and they came out well. (Actually, the Key Lime was better than the regular lime.) 
  • Maria's are a Mexican cookie that is sort of like an Animal Cracker with a fresh lemony flavor. I buy them by the large box (like below) as opposed to a "roll" of them. 

2e22e3ce-8a18-4386-a4d9-18b87a951915_1.06b1b42f96b7e6250804ec90fc8b78b3.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

PassionFruitPie.pdf 1.12 MB · 9 downloads

Thank you so much!   I love passion fruit anything, especially ice tea.  May have to wait until I can return to Hawaii fro my lillikoi!    

Interesting how hot hot the food threads are, lol! 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@rafinmd    So bizarre that they are removing these simple measures.   I had words in Costco the other day as three ladies were waiting politely to social distance and a man with a baby barrelled through!  Arghh!  My daughter is a teacher and I am pretty worried as  social distancing is pretty much impossible'  .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Greetings, all.

Since my last name begins with S, I will bring spiedies to the picnic.  

The spiedie is a marinated meat cut into cubes local to Binghamton in the central Southern Tier of New York State,[1] and somewhat more broadly known and enjoyed throughout Central New York. A spiedie consists of cubes of chicken, pork, lamb, veal, venison or beef. The meat cubes are marinated overnight or longer, then grilled on spits over a charcoal pit.

The traditional method involves serving freshly prepared cubes of lamb, chicken, or beef on soft Italian bread or a submarine roll, occasionally drizzled with fresh marinade. Spiedie meat cubes can also be eaten straight off the skewer or can be served in salads, stir fries, and a number of other dishes. The marinade recipe varies, usually involving olive oil, vinegar, and a variety of Italian spices and fresh mint.

Spiedies have been celebrated at the Spiedie Fest and Balloon Rally in Binghamton, New York, every August since 1983.[1] The annual event includes a spiedie cook-off in search of the best spiedie recipes.

The traditional way to eat the spiedies is to wrap a piece of good Italian bread (with a chewy crust) around the skewer of meat and pull the meat off the skewer.  You then have the spiedie sandwich.   A true spiedie aficionado would not use a submarine roll.  Also, the traditional meat used was lamb.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2