The Daily for Monday Aug 31, 2020

richwmn

19 minutes ago, dfish said:

Greetings, all.

Since my last name begins with S, I will bring spiedies to the picnic.  

The spiedie is a marinated meat cut into cubes local to Binghamton in the central Southern Tier of New York State,[1] and somewhat more broadly known and enjoyed throughout Central New York. A spiedie consists of cubes of chicken, pork, lamb, veal, venison or beef. The meat cubes are marinated overnight or longer, then grilled on spits over a charcoal pit.

The traditional method involves serving freshly prepared cubes of lamb, chicken, or beef on soft Italian bread or a submarine roll, occasionally drizzled with fresh marinade. Spiedie meat cubes can also be eaten straight off the skewer or can be served in salads, stir fries, and a number of other dishes. The marinade recipe varies, usually involving olive oil, vinegar, and a variety of Italian spices and fresh mint.

Spiedies have been celebrated at the Spiedie Fest and Balloon Rally in Binghamton, New York, every August since 1983.[1] The annual event includes a spiedie cook-off in search of the best spiedie recipes.

The traditional way to eat the spiedies is to wrap a piece of good Italian bread (with a chewy crust) around the skewer of meat and pull the meat off the skewer.  You then have the spiedie sandwich.   A true spiedie aficionado would not use a submarine roll.  Also, the traditional meat used was lamb.

How informative! Thank you. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, dfish said:

Greetings, all.

Since my last name begins with S, I will bring spiedies to the picnic.  

The spiedie is a marinated meat cut into cubes local to Binghamton in the central Southern Tier of New York State,[1] and somewhat more broadly known and enjoyed throughout Central New York. A spiedie consists of cubes of chicken, pork, lamb, veal, venison or beef. The meat cubes are marinated overnight or longer, then grilled on spits over a charcoal pit.

The traditional method involves serving freshly prepared cubes of lamb, chicken, or beef on soft Italian bread or a submarine roll, occasionally drizzled with fresh marinade. Spiedie meat cubes can also be eaten straight off the skewer or can be served in salads, stir fries, and a number of other dishes. The marinade recipe varies, usually involving olive oil, vinegar, and a variety of Italian spices and fresh mint.

Spiedies have been celebrated at the Spiedie Fest and Balloon Rally in Binghamton, New York, every August since 1983.[1] The annual event includes a spiedie cook-off in search of the best spiedie recipes.

The traditional way to eat the spiedies is to wrap a piece of good Italian bread (with a chewy crust) around the skewer of meat and pull the meat off the skewer.  You then have the spiedie sandwich.   A true spiedie aficionado would not use a submarine roll.  Also, the traditional meat used was lamb.

Wow.  I grew up in Syracuse and spent 4 years at Binghamton University and can't remember ever hearing of spledies.  BTW, sad what is happening at Oneonta with the Covid outbreak.

Roy

• Like 4

A sad remembrance today. It is the 23rd anniversary of the passing of Princess Diana. 
I was sailing from Vancouver on the old Nieuw Amsterdam, when the news broke. 
It was my 1st time to Alaska. 
The BBC reported the other day a statue will be unveiled in Kensington Garden next July 1st on the anniversary of her 60th birthday.

Edited by 1ANGELCAT
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Wow.  I grew up in Syracuse and spent 4 years at Binghamton University and can't remember ever hearing of spledies.  BTW, sad what is happening at Oneonta with the Covid outbreak.

Roy

I was born in Binghamton and all my relatives lived there.   My parents migrated to Michigan when I was 2, but we went back to visit every  year.   We always had spiedies, a real pizza and the best New York rye bread each visit.  

Spiedies used to be sold from carts on the street corners outside the factories.   Workers would come by a skewer for lunch.  My grandfather worked for EJ shoes and sometimes would get spiedies for lunch.   

What years were you at Binghamton University?  My dad went there way back when it was called Harpur College.

Edited by dfish
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Passion Fruit Pie:

Here's the recipe. It's pretty quick and easy to make, but needs time to chill. We think it is better the following day.

• I've substituted Key Limes and regular limes and they came out well. (Actually, the Key Lime was better than the regular lime.) 
  • Maria's are a Mexican cookie that is sort of like an Animal Cracker with a fresh lemony flavor. I buy them by the large box (like below) as opposed to a "roll" of them. 

2e22e3ce-8a18-4386-a4d9-18b87a951915_1.06b1b42f96b7e6250804ec90fc8b78b3.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

PassionFruitPie.pdf 1.12 MB · 15 downloads

Thanks a bunch. I will definitely try this. We love everything in the recipe!

Edited by Seasick Sailor

4 hours ago, kazu said:

Oh ugh on a skunk.

Any mothballs?  As long as you have no pets that go around the bird feeder, mothballs have been known to deter skunks (trust me, I know 😉 ).  They will have to be replaced as time passes but they don’t like the smell.  Your birds won’t be interested so they won’t hurt them since you will be putting them on the ground.  Lay a little perimeter of them around the bird feeder.  Then ask your neighbour to set up the webcam again and see if it works or if you need to add more or expand the perimeter.

You want to discourage that skunk asap.  They can dig up lawns not to mention spray a noxious smell.  Good luck.

I HATE skunks.  And porcupines due to my dogs.  We had a porcupine on top of our pergola once pigging out on the grapes.  I have no idea how it got in but I was so glad when it finally was gotten out.

I will go tomorrow for the mothballs.  Thank you @kazu

• Like 1

Wow.!! What a great picnic we had tonight down by the creek. It was nice to feel some cool breeze and a little sunshine on our faces.

Thank you everyone who brought the delicious dishes to our picnic. I had a wonderful time. Thank you for the food and the wine and the desserts. Looking forward to our daily tomorrow.

Love you all and wishing you a wonderful relaxing evening. Joy

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, dfish said:

What years were you at Binghamton University?  My dad went there way back when it was called Harpur College.

I might be older than your father.  I was one of the pioneers in the campus, 1961-65.

Roy

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I will go tomorrow for the mothballs.  Thank you @kazu

No guarantees and if you get a bunch of rain, they need to be replaced.  
They will keep most critters away.  We are fighting squirrels right now - they are even digging in my planters on the deck so we are trying in the invisible fence permiter as we don’t want the dogs near them.  

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Our midnight garden raider

image.thumb.jpeg.7b76d8d259792db84f90f5d3c928ce8b.jpeg

That nearly looks more like a porcupine to me than a skunk.  Either one is unwanted and the balls should work for you, I hope.  I’ve had a tough time finding them this year so if you do, stock up.  You might need some next year 😉 

Thanks Rich, Roy, and everyone for sharing photos and a picnic. 

In honor of motorist day I’ll share a story my dad told me when he was teaching me to drive. He said that driving was the biggest team sport we’d all ever be part of. We had a rule book and knew the laws and you could tell a lot about people based on how they drove and treated the rest of the people on the team. I’ll always remember that story and have shared it with many others. 

Hope everyone has a great night!

• Like 4

Today September 1st, is the first day of spring. raining here, further inland snow has fallen..

9 minutes ago, Andi Land said:

In honor of motorist day I’ll share a story my dad told me when he was teaching me to drive. He said that driving was the biggest team sport we’d all ever be part of. We had a rule book and knew the laws and you could tell a lot about people based on how they drove and treated the rest of the people on the team. I’ll always remember that story and have shared it with many others. 

That story is so true.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Roy, thank you for taking the time to keep our lists!

Yesterday I learned that my local grocery store removed the “one-way” directional signs on the aisles and the social distance markers at the checkout lines, because there were too many fights! Fights! I live in an area where at 80% of the residents are retired. I understand these times are stressful, but fights? I really need The Daily today.

We went to Walmart the other day.  They were not allowing anyone in who would not wear a mask, all the aisles were marked with arrows, there were hand sanitizers around, and there were people supervising and telling people how to get to the checkouts, etc, as there were barricades around.  I was very impressed and I will go back.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kazu said:

No guarantees and if you get a bunch of rain, they need to be replaced.  
They will keep most critters away.  We are fighting squirrels right now - they are even digging in my planters on the deck so we are trying in the invisible fence permiter as we don’t want the dogs near them.  

That nearly looks more like a porcupine to me than a skunk.  Either one is unwanted and the balls should work for you, I hope.  I’ve had a tough time finding them this year so if you do, stock up.  You might need some next year 😉 

Our visitor this this week was the porcupine.  We had a skunk a week ago.  And always the squirrels and voles.   But we have a neighbourhood bobcat that is keeping many in check.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Andi Land said:

Thanks Rich, Roy, and everyone for sharing photos and a picnic. 

Love this!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

We went to Walmart the other day.  They were not allowing anyone in who would not wear a mask, all the aisles were marked with arrows, there were hand sanitizers around, and there were people supervising and telling people how to get to the checkouts, etc, as there were barricades around.  I was very impressed and I will go back.

This is great!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dfish said:

Gosh, I don't know.  I always thought it was on the Vestal Parkway.  Sadly, he's not here to ask.  

The Vestal camups "opened" when I joined in 1961.  I think there were a few science labs in the 60-61 year but everything else was in Endicott.  The original Endicott building is now the Endicott Visitor Center.

Roy