The Daily for Monday Aug 31, 2020

richwmn

Oh we had the most wonderful flank steak yesterday prepared by our SIL and two salads, one an Italian bread salad, the other arugula, nectarines and blue cheese. Lovely Sunday dinner. Couldn’t eat outside because of the wasps.

I will bring coleslaw to the picnic. Doesn’t fit with the instructions but I am craving some!

Today’s wine comes from a small town (Iphofen) only ten km (6miles) from my husbands home town of Mainstockheim. Franconia is a great wine growing region in the state of Bavaria and I find most German white wines tend to be dry and not sweet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 8

D3D2C1C9-63EF-4374-BA04-B41B324FB460.thumb.jpeg.ccb6cfaa99b06622f227a3ba2c5a190c.jpegJust back from the corn outing.  The growers are famous in our area, they sell out every day and expect to be out of corn in a few days, corny but true!  

CC0B191F-2460-44D8-927B-F85A7F8F9623.jpeg

A669A4F2-B762-464A-813E-8C6C25BC01E8.jpeg

65E5FE9E-8865-44F3-925C-75846B9A2BCC.jpeg

23BBE550-AFF4-49F3-A871-44526DD17533.jpeg

1D0B700D-C742-47CA-8F56-01BC0D5773FF.jpeg

FAB9C3FB-4A5C-4427-B904-640DD0C62761.jpeg

D3D2C1C9-63EF-4374-BA04-B41B324FB460.jpegThe beautiful Grand River - it eventually empty’s into Lake Erie.

Edited by gigianne
  • Like 10

Good morning all!  And a big thank you to Rich and Roy for getting us all together. 😁

I will bring Almond Macaroons to the picnic, perhaps some Vegemite, too,  But never ask an Australian to exchange his Vegemite for Marmite, nor an Englishman his Marmite for Vegemite!  Whenever we go to Australia we have to take a stock of Marmite for DH's sister and her hubby.  They stand out in that country!

@rafinmd, I think both Pat and Martha are well enough now to be taken off the Care List.  Thanks to everyone for thinking of them.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I’m bringing Passion Fruit Pie. 

I first had it on a HAL Shorex in Valpo. We visited a family owned and run museum where we had lunch (that included a tasty sandwich and a slice of this pie.) It always brings back good memories. 

D65C2F5F-C66B-44E2-A5E6-1E271384E920.jpeg
 The white topping is sour cream with a little powdered sugar. You can substitute key lime and get a good pie with a solid set of you choose. DH likes it. 

Oh my!   I NEED this recipe! 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Thanks Linda!

By the way.. doesn't ANYONE's last name start with a "W"? Who's bringing the wine?? 

I could put the "M" upside down and then it would be a "W"! Or I could bring some Asti....

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Good morning and thankyou Rich and  Roy!  A picnic sounds great!   We’ve had our own midnight visitor,  DH is convinced it’s a porcupine,  stripping branches and eating the crabapples!  

Heres a good spot for the picnic! 

8F5CDCA3-2153-42E0-BBFA-AE949B0AF4ED.jpeg

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Thanks Linda!

By the way.. doesn't ANYONE's last name start with a "W"? Who's bringing the wine?? 

Mine does.  I’ll bring the wine 😉 and to match my screen name i can bring kake (replace the k with a c) or kale salad.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Thanks Linda!

I will bring Ketel One in case anyone prefers a martini.

I'll post my Key Lime Pie recipe when I get home tonight.  There are various strong opinions about the appropriate combinations, but mine is in a graham cracker crust and it is topped with meringue.  It is easy and never runny, but the meringue can be pesky in our humid weather.

• Like 8

Guess I am elected unanimously to bring the WINE!  I had been trying to figure out a food with “W”. 

Many thanks for all the great photos.  Am loving all the pictures of the working or behind the scenes areas of the ships.  Of course love sunrises, sunsets, and all other photos.

This spot brings so much joy to so many people.  Thanks for all those responsible.  Prayers for all in need, and a toast to those celebrating!

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, bennybear said:

I guess I could bring Beer, Bologna or Bratwurst.   But since I don’t like the first two I’ll bring Brownies.  

12 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Wow, just a little after 9 west coast time and this is on page 3.  I'm very late to the picnic!  I will bring macaroni salad and (Chilled) Sauvignon Blanc.  

14 minutes ago, bobpatj said:

I’ll bring a jelly roll to the picnic.

22 minutes ago, TheKingD said:

I will bring Ketel One in case anyone prefers a martini.

I'll post my Key Lime Pie recipe when I get home tonight.  There are various strong opinions about the appropriate combinations, but mine is in a graham cracker crust and it is topped with meringue.  It is easy and never runny, but the meringue can be pesky in our humid weather.

Awesome! I knew I could count on our girls to bring life to our picnic!

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 5

Rich..

Your Daily is my "Go to" read every morning, much appreciated.  I especially like to follow the position of all the HAL ships each day, looking for the signal that they are actually moving toward the embarkation port for their next cruise.  As soon as I see a ship two days out from the date and port, I'll start booking like crazy.  I'm a single cruiser, and fully retired, so it is not a big deal if I book too late to make a specific cruise, as I can just go on the next available one, pretty much anytime.   The exception to that would be for a unique itinerary such as the Pacific Battles Cruise on Maasdam last year.  I would have hated to have missed that one.   I'd also hate to miss the Africa Circumnavigation on Zaandam in October 2021.  Other than those an a few others, most sailings can be duplicated with a later sailing if I miss out because of a sold out condition, and so the actual date doesn't much matter to me.

With that in mind, this is what I am watching... First let me say that my posts are prone to errors.. I am old and don't proof read very well, and the data in the rest of my post may have errors, and may already be obsolete by the time I post it.  The purpose of my post is just to show what I am watching.  Again, as soon as I see a ship two days out from the port, that will be my signal to book cruises for the coming year.  Another good signal would be when I hear that crews have returned to a specific ship.  Is it likely that the  crews will be flown to the embarkation port, or will the ships all sail to the crew's home countries to pick them up on the way to their next embarkation post?

Here is the list from your opening post today, with what I think is the first sailing for the ships, again, most likely with errors.. I am not focused on accuracy with my additions, just an overall picture.  It seems like at this point, a lot depends on Ft. Lauderdale opening up.  I live fairly close to Ft. Lauderdale, and would like to be one of the first passengers on the first HAL ship out, but again, if I miss the first one, then next one out will be fine with me.  It would be great that if anyone hears any news on crew movements, that they would add it too.

At Sea Atlantic
Eurodam destination Sint Eustatius eta 9/15
    December 19, 2020 - 8 Day  - R/T Fort Lauderdale, FL
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Fortaleza Brazil eta 9/7
    December 19, 2020 - 7 Day - R/T Fort Lauderdale, FL
Volendam destination Gibraltar eta 9/8
    December 21, 2020 - 14 Day - Caribbean/Partial Panama Canal - R/T Fort Lauderdale, FL
Westerdam destination Gibraltar eta 9/9
    December 19, 2020 - 22 Day - SA/Antarctica - Buenos Aires, Argentina, to Santiago, Chili

At Sea Indian
Noordam destination Suez Canal eta 9/8
    December 20, 2020 - 15 day - Asia - Singapore to Hong Kong
Zuiderdam destination Suez Canal eta 9/8
    December 20, 2020 - 7 Day - Caribbean - R/T Fort Lauderdale, FL  

Balboa Anchorage
Oosterdam
    December 19, 2020 - 14 Day - Australia/New Zealand  - Auckland, New Zealand to Sydney

Piraeus

Maasdam

Katakolo
Veendam

Punta Arenas
Koningsdam
    December 19, 2020 - 7 Day - Mexico - R/T San Diego, CA

Rotterdam
Amsterdam - at Rotterdam Botlek

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
    December 23, 2020 - 7 Day - Caribbean - R/T Fort Lauderdale, FL
Rotterdam
Zaandam
    December 19, 2020 - 14 Day - Panama Canal Full Transit - San Diego, CA, to Ft. Lauderdale

• Like 7