Enforcement of the new guest vacation policy

As we wait to hear from the healthy cruising panel created by RCL and NCL, we can speculate that some of the protocols will mirror the same or similar policies developed by the European cruise companies that have started operations like MSC. 

So far it looks like MSC has successfully completed 4 cruises without any cases, but will the US market be the same way?

Wearing masks and social distancing will likely be part of the agreement in the guest vacation policy, but how much will be enforced when on the ship? Yes I like to think everyone could be adults about this and follow rules, but instances in the US have proved otherwise with some groups testing the boundaries and refusing to wear masks in public places or social distance. 

How do you think the cruise companies will deal with violators of the guest vacation policy? Will security now be policing around and telling people to wear their mask or will they just go with it with a blind eye? 

If the cruise lines want to have a successful come back, the passengers also need to do their part when onboard. If not, i don't think the cruise lines have a chance of surviving if another mass outbreak occurs. 

Its like this - when cruising starts up again there will be a set of protocols (rules) which will be made clear to everyone regarding life on board,  excursions etc. If potential passengers don't like it they shouldn't go. If they do go and break those rules , they should be booted off , for the safety of everyone else on board.

• Like 13

41 minutes ago, Wannacruise81 said:

How do you think the cruise companies will deal with violators of the guest vacation policy?

Hopefully very harshly. MSC has been successful so far because they’ve had a zero tolerance policy with serious repercussions. 

I want to think that people who do choose to cruise will abide by the rules. Even though we are not cruising here in the USA, we are flying, and from what I’ve experienced flying every single week since the pandemic started is that almost everybody is abiding by the new rules. Crew members and ground personnel have been trained to enforce the rules strictly. Passengers who don’t comply are not allowed to board, and those who insist on non compliance are banned for life and placed on a “no fly” list. 

Strictly enforcing rules is what has made flying safe (with zero mass infections on any flight since the new rules were created) and also what has made cruising in Europe safe as well (at least so far). I believe that cruise lines will be just as strict in the USA because their long term existence depends on it. 

• Like 8

However where will the idiot family be let off, if ports aren’t accepting ships?  Are they just sequestered in their cabin one board, until they return to the mainland?  

All unknown, but I have a suspicion ships will have more security on board when they start up. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

However where will the idiot family be let off, if ports aren’t accepting ships?  Are they just sequestered in their cabin one board, until they return to the mainland?  

All unknown, but I have a suspicion ships will have more security on board when they start up. 

Well, they can't sail from the US unless they have a port to call at.  The issue on MSC was a family that didn't comply with the shore excursion rules so they were able to just leave them in that port.  I could see sailings from the US being the same.

• Like 1

It's very easy, follow the rules. Wear the mask or don't go. Your on private property, at sea. Don't like it don't go, protest at home. So sick of these people making a political statement about a mask. But you know there will be some with there fake medical exemption  card, trying to pull that B.S. 

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, hallux said:

Well, they can't sail from the US unless they have a port to call at.  The issue on MSC was a family that didn't comply with the shore excursion rules so they were able to just leave them in that port.  I could see sailings from the US being the same.

And that is why I raised the point. They need a foreign port of call, unlike in Italy. I think the cruise lines would be willing to cruise to no where right now, and there are folks here that would pay for that. 

Currently Caribbean islands are having Covid tests for those flying in, taken within a set number of days before arriving and then uploaded onto the government’s web portal.  We currently have no idea what the Islands will demand when ships set sail. Parts of Mexico have said they are ready in a news article, but that was dependent on ships getting approval to sail. 

As I said there is a lot of unknown. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

52 minutes ago, jptoz said:

But you know there will be some with their fake medical exemption card, trying to pull that B.S. 

Airlines have been handling that by requesting that all passengers who claim to have a medical condition (that prevents them from wearing a mask) to show at the airport with an extra hour than normal. This way, they can take part in a medical consultation with a doctor who will determine if the condition is legitimate, and also to verify if any documentation is in order (meaning no fake cards). 

Hopefully cruise lines will do the same. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Tapi said:

Airlines have been handling that by requesting that all passengers who claim to have a medical condition (that prevents them from wearing a mask) to show at the airport with an extra hour than normal so that they can take part in a medical consultation with a doctor who will determine if the condition is legitimate, and also to verify if any documentation. is in order (meaning no fake cards). 

Hopefully cruise lines will do the same. 

Perhaps they can use the same approach with emotional support animals.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wannacruise81 said:

As we wait to hear from the healthy cruising panel created by RCL and NCL, we can speculate that some of the protocols will mirror the same or similar policies developed by the European cruise companies that have started operations like MSC. 

So far it looks like MSC has successfully completed 4 cruises without any cases, but will the US market be the same way?

Wearing masks and social distancing will likely be part of the agreement in the guest vacation policy, but how much will be enforced when on the ship? Yes I like to think everyone could be adults about this and follow rules, but instances in the US have proved otherwise with some groups testing the boundaries and refusing to wear masks in public places or social distance. 

How do you think the cruise companies will deal with violators of the guest vacation policy? Will security now be policing around and telling people to wear their mask or will they just go with it with a blind eye? 

If the cruise lines want to have a successful come back, the passengers also need to do their part when onboard. If not, i don't think the cruise lines have a chance of surviving if another mass outbreak occurs. 

Many people in the US don't wear masks because it's not a law and therefore we have the freedom to choose as to whether we believe the hype or not.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

Like the current cruises that have been successful, they had no issue dumping people at a port. Follow the rules or get dumped at a foreign port.

I’m pretty sure that in the case of MSC everyone involved (ship, port, passengers) were Italian. It will get interesting when (for example) a Bahamian ship refuses rule breaking US citizens reboarding while they are considered in-transit in Saint Maarten, and Sint Maarten refuses to take them as landed passengers. Stay tuned...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jptoz said:

It's very easy, follow the rules. Wear the mask or don't go. Your on private property, at sea. Don't like it don't go, protest at home. So sick of these people making a political statement about a mask. But you know there will be some with there fake medical exemption  card, trying to pull that B.S. 

I read that MSC was not allowing any medical exceptions for mask wearing.  If someone has a medical reason they cannot wear a mask then they were not permitted to board.  I would hope rcl do the same.

• Like 21

11 minutes ago, TravelerThom said:

I’m pretty sure that in the case of MSC everyone involved (ship, port, passengers) were Italian. It will get interesting when (for example) a Bahamian ship refuses rule breaking US citizens reboarding while they are considered in-transit in Saint Maarten, and Sint Maarten refuses to take them as landed passengers. Stay tuned...

That is Costa cruises that is italian residents only.  MSC has passengers from any Schegen country.

6 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I read that MSC was not allowing any medical exceptions for mask wearing.  If someone has a medical reason they cannot wear a mask then they were not permitted to board.  I would hope rcl do the same.

My first thought is if someone has such a medical reason should they really be travelling right away? My second thought is with all that's at stake for the cruise lines (their very survival) I can't see them granting exemptions for anyone......IF masks are required that is. 

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

Considering people have been breaking cruise rules probably since the first ever cruise, why do you think they would start following rules now?

Because in the past, if someone hogged a pool chair, or if someone wore shorts to the MDR for dinner, it wouldn’t risk shutting down the entire cruise industry. Knowing what’s at stake, I’m pretty confident that the cruise lines will strictly enforce any Covid related rule.

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 5